• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

I guess even saying yes/no is kind of a spoiler, but
yes. Sort of, at least

Ok, it's the one thing
that I feel is lacking, it does not seem connected to the mythology at all. He kills an assassin and wears his outfit. He isn't actually an Assassin at all or even connected to them. Even Conner being an Assassin was a bit of a stretch for me. He was only doing it as a means to an end as opposed to the "nothing is true, everything is permitted" creed of the first 4 games.

Vodh

Based on the previous AC releases, how likely are the additional costumes/islands from various bullshit preorders and CE's to become DLC available to us plebs in the future?

Maybe the people that don't know any history! It's based on an actual person that did the same thing.

Yeah, I actually Googled James Kidd
before you find out she's a woman in the game because I figured that there had to be a reason the voice actor sounded like that.
Was a bit of a spoiler. Not really up on my pirate history, but it's interesting to me that James Kidd was really like that.

Kvik

And the thought of grinding ship battles now that I've 100% everything in the game is daunting. How do warehouses fare in supplies? I've not really touched those, outside of accidentally getting in range of when and then running away, only to see the message pop up that the ware house would be emptied if I drifted off too far.

Warehouse roughly stocked about the same (+100 metals, cloth etc). I can't speak for "Hard" areas since I'm only recently started on the "Medium" area, although I have almost every upgrade except Elites. Raiding frigates (especially when they are in the group of 3) sometimes yielded more decent returns.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ok, it's the one thing
that I feel is lacking, it does not seem connected to the mythology at all. He kills an assassin and wears his outfit. He isn't actually an Assassin at all or even connected to them. Even Conner being an Assassin was a bit of a stretch for me. He was only doing it as a means to an end as opposed to the "nothing is true, everything is permitted" creed of the first 4 games.

I'd LOVE to answer you on this question, I've ranted about this very subject several times in this thread. But without spoiling anything all I can say is: don't get your hopes up.

Altair was the only real Assassin in truth.

YES

That ending was pretty good.
Launching the Jackdaw into space with a floating sky whale cheering me on. Didn't see that coming. Shame they ran out of fuel.

sn00zer

Made this forever ago for the announcement trailer
3uewq3.jpg

i just started this on ps4. made it through the tutorial section and am in the first city. i haven't played an assassin's creed game since the first one. how much of the stuff on the map do i need to collect? what are the benefits to collecting all of that stuff? will i not get the full assassin's creed experience if i largely ignore all of the collectables and just go through the main story missions?

http://furiousfanboys.com/2013/12/b...s-ps4-users-out-of-assassins-creed-4-content/

This article points to PS4 users with 100+ friends not being able to access UPlay content. Can anyone with 100 or more friends confirm they are having the same issue?
I can confirm that this is the issue, at least for me. I could not connect from day one; I had 103 friends on PSN. I deleted a few people to get under 100, and lo and behold, everything works now. How this can still be a problem after all these weeks is ridiculous. Ubisoft gonna Ubi I guess.

What are these community challenges that're showing up as the prerequisite for some items? Quite a few items I want but can't seem to get

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
I'd LOVE to answer you on this question, I've ranted about this very subject several times in this thread. But without spoiling anything all I can say is: don't get your hopes up.

I'm not quite to the most southern territories yet, but if you don't think that this is a very deliberate attempt to initialize an
origin story for a new Ezio to get you through the next several sequels
then lol. I could be very disappointed in the next week or so though :)

tfur

Looks like I am stuck in a glitch. I cannot access the next mission "a single madman." The area is blocked off with the greenish blue " cannot access" fog.

Is three a list of needed prerequisites that you can check? Looks like others have the problem, with no real answers how to fix it.

glaurung

Question regarding the PS3 to PS4 game upgrade.

I have the voucher code from the PS3 copy redeemed and the game shows up for £9.99 in the PSN Store.

I believe the save file is in no way compatible. But if I purchase this discounted AC4 copy, does it mean I will also get a separate trophy list for the PS4 game? I have already completed the game on PS3.

Dave1988

Question regarding the PS3 to PS4 game upgrade.

I have the voucher code from the PS3 copy redeemed and the game shows up for £9.99 in the PSN Store.

I believe the save file is in no way compatible. But if I purchase this discounted AC4 copy, does it mean I will also get a separate trophy list for the PS4 game? I have already completed the game on PS3.

Yup, It'll be a separate trophy list.

Ricker

Is the iOS companion app confirmed to be not working at the moment? i cant seem to get it to connect to the ps4, unless i'm doing something wrong. Playstaion app works fine, or do i have to do something else besides just run the AC app and press the connect icon?

I can't get it to work either and I can't even find the app on Android,maybe they took it down since they are having UPlay problems...sad that they didn't make the Vita's second screen option work,I mean it has full remote play support,why couldn't they add second screen...?

gbus

Looks like I am stuck in a glitch. I cannot access the next mission "a single madman." The area is blocked off with the greenish blue " cannot access" fog.

Is three a list of needed prerequisites that you can check? Looks like others have the problem, with no real answers how to fix it.

I don't think it's a bug. If I'm not mistaken the mission starts at the opposite side of the island which is accessible.

Playing AC series for first time with AC II (heard it was place to start) and not too impressed so far... About halfway through and I find it too handholdey and filed with useless side content and too easy (not to mention the combat is not fun at all for me). Would I have a better experience with AC IV if I like pirate games?

Have to say mates I'm thoroughly enjoying this on PS4, did all the stuff in Havana before getting the Jackdaw and then just went sailing around for a bit.

Very grateful that a lot of the "jank" from ACIII is gone here, no weird glitches yet, switching weapons is quick and snappy and a smooth framerate - by my standards anyway - woohoo!

Ricker

Playing AC series for first time with AC II (heard it was place to start) and not too impressed so far... About halfway through and I find it too handholdey and filed with useless side content and too easy (not to mention the combat is not fun at all for me). Would I have a better experience with AC IV if I like pirate games?

You should try or rent AC3 to see if you like the naval combats,this is about the only extra stuff you may like if you don't like the collectathon's part of AC,it's the same in IV,although easier to track and with some changes...instead of flying pieces of paper,you get shanties,etc etc...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Why does every other word start with a capital letter in the dialogue? Who the hell wrote this?

tfur

I don't think it's a bug. If I'm not mistaken the mission starts at the opposite side of the island which is accessible.

I have tried to get in on both sides. I have been killing every ship in site in the area, and I am doing nothing but grinding. There must be something that I need trigger or do, but I do not have a clue. I am going to all of the areas "completing" the islands etc.

I need a checklist or something. I see the yellow exclamation point circle, but I just am not allowed to access in the "current memory" or whatever.

Wizman23

Banned
So as an assassins creed noob can someone help me with the assassination missions? It seems impossible to go into the heavy guarded areas without attacting every guard in Havana

haikira

Grabbed this along with Shadow Fall and BF4, with my PS4, thinking this was the riskiest purchase of the three games. In truth, it's the complete opposite and I vastly prefer it to the other two games.

Early in the game, when you've to lose the fleet in the storm, my jaw hit the ground. The visuals and amazingly life like water are a sight to behold and navigating the rough seas is a quite a rush. Boarding ships is something else I love and I can't imagine myself getting bored of it anytime soon.

It's not all sunshine, as I do have a few problems. Stealth mechanics still feel ancient and the game is prone to the usual Ubisoft jank, such as rough animations, dopey enemies and once I got stuck in a wooden tower. Though these problems are aren't doing much to dampen my enjoyment as it's still one bloody fun game to play and when it's good, it's really good. Definitely one hell of a comeback for the series, after the third game.

haikira

So as an assassins creed noob can someone help me with the assassination missions? It seems impossible to go into the heavy guarded areas without attacting every guard in Havana

Try hiring a group of dancers for 150 and you should be able to walk into a guarded area with them incognito. You can also use them to distract specific guards. Also take advantage of any shrubbery you can find or try creating distractions using the throw money ability.

i just started this on ps4. made it through the tutorial section and am in the first city. i haven't played an assassin's creed game since the first one. how much of the stuff on the map do i need to collect? what are the benefits to collecting all of that stuff? will i not get the full assassin's creed experience if i largely ignore all of the collectables and just go through the main story missions?

anyone? really looking for some feedback on this before i play any further.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You don't need to collect anything the game doesn't tell you to collect as part of a tutorial segment. You'll miss out on some unlockables and maybe some extra side thing/minor sub plot but nothing that is needed to enjoy the game to the full.
I'm not sure what collecting all the animus fragments does in this game but generally those sorts of things end up giving 1) a unique outfit, 2) extra cutscene with some meta-plot 3) some extra puzzle area/dungeon type area.
That sort of thing.

GeoGonzo

Some people would argue that filling bars and gathering tons of pointless collectibles IS part of the complete Assassin's Creed experience. I did it because I'm OCD like that, but nothing of value was unlocked.

You don't need to collect anything the game doesn't tell you to collect as part of a tutorial segment. You'll miss out on some unlockables and maybe some extra side thing/minor sub plot but nothing that is needed to enjoy the game to the full.
I'm not sure what collecting all the animus fragments does in this game but generally those sorts of things end up giving 1) a unique outfit, 2) extra cutscene with some meta-plot 3) some extra puzzle area/dungeon type area.
That sort of thing.

Some people would argue that filling bars and gathering tons of pointless collectibles IS part of the complete Assassin's Creed experience. I did it because I'm OCD like that, but nothing of value was unlocked.

ok, thanks guys. i appreciate it!

Dave1988

Question to the people with the PS4 version:

Did you guys get notifications about the community events (blue chests/ blue whale markers/ Royal convoys).

I've seen that this is an issue on the PS4 version, and so far I haven't found a single blue chest. Granted, I'm pretty early in the game (start of sequence 4 on the PS4) but on the PS3 version by that time I already found 2 blue chests.

Irish

Did you guys get notifications about the community events (blue chests/ blue whale markers/ Royal convoys).

I've seen that this is an issue on the PS4 version, and so far I haven't found a blue chest. Granted, I'm pretty early in the game (start of sequence 4) but on the PS3 version by that time I already found 2 blue chests.

Yep. The only thing I haven't seen more than once is an actual community event. I'm kind of pissed I chose not to go assassinate 5 dudes because I was in the middle of sailing about and likely missed a fair few outfits/weapons,

Dave1988

Yep. The only thing I haven't seen more than once is an actual community event. I'm kind of pissed I chose not to go assassinate 5 dudes because I was in the middle of sailing about and likely missed a fair few outfits/weapons,

So far there's only been one community event. Who the hell knows when Ubisoft will start another one.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I've seen that this is an issue on the PS4 version, and so far I haven't found a single blue chest. Granted, I'm pretty early in the game (start of sequence 4 on the PS4) but on the PS3 version by that time I already found 2 blue chests.
Yes, I get them. And yes, I find them. White whales, chests, ships. All of them.

11 hours in and I haven't found anything, Lately I can't connect to uplay though since I have more than 100 friends.

Blizzje

PS4 version of AC4 has music hickups, as can be seen in this video at 4:59: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaZUXE47ZcU The hickups are always in the same position on the same tracks, which could mean bad loops or bad sound files. If you listen closely, you'll hear the sound effects continue playing, while the music completely cuts out.

How does this even get through QA?I submitted this bug to ubisoft support. Are they good at following up on bugs?

SJRB

Gold Member
PS4 version of AC4 has music hickups, as can be seen in this video at 4:59: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaZUXE47ZcU The hickups are always in the same position on the same tracks, which could mean bad loops or bad sound files. If you listen closely, you'll hear the sound effects continue playing, while the music completely cuts out.

How does this even get through QA?I submitted this bug to ubisoft support. Are they good at following up on bugs?

Thank christ, I thought it was just my game or something. I have the exact same thing, not just with this track but with pretty much every ambient music track - it just stutters at the exact same moment every time.

It may sound like a minor nitpick but for some reason it's getting really annoying since the game music loops pretty often.

Top Bottom