• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

tfur

So, about the "A single madman" bug, I could not start the mission because of being "blocked."

I found a thread somewhere that mentions that if you have this bug, you log out of Animus and re login. It seemed to work, and I was able to start the mission.

woohoo, destroyed all 4 legendary ships..........

Don't feel compelled to collect everything in the game or finish the diving, treasure chests or anything now lol

Played the hell out of this game, it's time for a new game

okayfrog

Banned
Question about the mission "Nothing is True": If I didn't get all the treasure chests on my first time through the mission, can I play it later to get them, or am I screwed out of 100%?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Does anyone else have the urge to always clear out every enemy in a restricted area or in the middle of a mission?

I can't help myself. I start sneaking around and assassinating left and right.

abuC

I like the game, but one small visual thing irks me, and there are no waves breaking on the shore. It kind of kills immersion when you see these huge waves like 100 feet from the shore, yet nothing ever shows up on land.

I'm really disappointed with ps3 version....
Some places (cities) cause really bad fps drops :( Framerate is fine when sailing and in some missions though and at least it runs better then AC3 on ps3.

I hope it's better on ps4 when I upgrade to the nextgen.

mitchman

Gold Member
Sometimes I go like 6 hours of just plundering booty and finding shit in the ocean without touching a main mission. This game is ridiculously addictive. Most addictive open-world title I've probably ever played.

I had to stop and have a smoke when I came to the main clearing at Great Inagua. It looked absolutely positively fuck-off gorgeous.

This is why I complete my other launch games first before going with AC4. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to open world (300+ hours of Skyrim), and I know I'd never get to play the other games unless I do it first :)

SJRB

Gold Member
Question about the mission "Nothing is True": If I didn't get all the treasure chests on my first time through the mission, can I play it later to get them, or am I screwed out of 100%?

You can go back at any time after the mission, don't worry.

Doesn't anyone else find the eavesdropping missions annoying? I spent 40 mins on finishing one of them.

Rate those fucking missions 1 star, it's the only thing that may prevent this shit in future games.

Carbonox

This is why I complete my other launch games first before going with AC4. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to open world (300+ hours of Skyrim), and I know I'd never get to play the other games unless I do it first :)

I did the same as well. I'm going through each portion of the ocean to clear up all side tasks and collectibles.

I just saw my first Legendary ship, fuck me that thing was HUGE. I high-tailed it outta there. No way am I ready to take on one of those.

Carbonox

Walking around Kingston with that awesome mountainous backdrop, hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh.

So beautiful.

I'm not even close to beating this game and it's hard to decide whether or not this is the best AC game of them all.

Ser Goje

Rate those fucking missions 1 star, it's the only thing that may prevent this shit in future games.

I don't think they actually give a shit about the ratings, but I'll do it anyways.

I just saw my first Legendary ship, fuck me that thing was HUGE. I high-tailed it outta there. No way am I ready to take on one of those.

Yeah Jackdaw's has to be at least 80% upgraded so you could actually do some real damage.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, I thought the game was traditional AC easy until I tried attacking the 2 star fort on the way to the Chapter 4 place. WTF how is this possible??? It wouldn't be so bad just having 9 spots mortaring you consistently if it wasn't that there's always a storm surrounding it so I keep getting hit by tornados. Man, if this is just the first 2 star "medium" fort, I don't even wanna see what 3 star forts are like.

I don't think they actually give a shit about the ratings, but I'll do it anyways.

Nah, AC games are trying to be a mainstream as possible to sell the most. I'm sure they're going to take the ratings into consideration. So everyone should rate the bad types of missions 1 star. Might not effect the next AC that's far along in production, but maybe the one after it will have fewer of those types of missions if we all do our part.

Kak.efes

If anyone is playing this on PS3, and would like a code for the Lost Treasures Pack (spyglass relic, and ivory wheel), shoot me a message. It cannot be redeemed on PS4.

Vodh

Guys, how high are the chances that Black Island, Hidden Mystery and Sacrificed Secrets are gonna become purchasable DLC? What happened to those store/edition exclusive bits in previous iterations of AC?

Weird question for some here, sorry if its been answered already.

I'm on the PS4 version of this game and I love it, though there is one nagging audio issue that bothers me.

It seems like whenever you start to go exploring an island or just sailing, when the music kicks in, it kind of "skips" once and then proceeds on, but it seems to do this every time in the same spot of a bunch of the tracks. Anybody else experience this?

Game is alright, but it is no AC3... yeah, I said it!

But seriously, seeing the hatred towards AC3 is discouraging. A, we'll never see Ubi dare tackle such unique and interesting (even if they're a bit drab) areas and eras again. Just balls to the wall color with pirates and ninjas and other tired tropes. B, we'll never get such a dynamic lead character again. I've read too many statements from folks who either don't get it or simply disapprove, but Connor was the exact opposite of every cliched action hero we've seen and yet he was "too naive" or not Ezio enough. smh.

Much like Brohood, Rev and Liberation, AC4 feels like an unimportant side story. Sure, it technically is, but AC1, 2 and 3 had an importance put on the era they were set in and the characters you came across had a certain gravitas to them. AC 4 may have charismatic pirates but they lack any sort of weight in the over-arching lore of AC and I think it has a lot to do with
Edward just sort of donning an assassin's robes as opposed to the game being ABOUT the creed.
I have yet to finish it, but I know what's coming.

As a game, I'm disappointed with a checklist menu dedicated to a shoulder button to hit us on the head that they want us to run around collecting shit. The fact that it is all spelled out for you on the map is insulting. I keep thinking that I'll ignore it and then do it all after the main quest like I always do and I'll turn off the HUD/mini-map to add a challenge... but then I realize that the game doesn't work like that. The items aren't cleverly hidden in neat little nooks in well designed levels/worlds like other games with collectibles. They're just there and the game just wants you to follow the icons on the map... that's it. Not fun.

Carbonox

I enjoyed Assassin's Creed 3. Enough to Platinum it. Aside from the shit main character and boring cities, I LOVED exploring the frontier and obviously participating in the naval stuff. Connor's combat style was also glorious to see. Story was interesting too though like in any AC game, I didn't care one bit for the horrible modern day trash.

Assassin's Creed 4 is superior though for me. Full focus on the piracy aspect and gorgeous environments to explore. I miss the snow though cos despite being annoying to traverse, the snowy environments looked breathtaking in AC3. Obviously we're in the Caribbean though. It's also not often I get caught up in side tasks and unimportant shit in an open-world game like I have been with the pirate stuff. Spending hours on end just exploring the sea and beating up on other ships. I don't need to do it and yet I can't stop.

Game really appeals to my OCD nature in these sort of games too. I've been going through each segment of the map getting everything in a clockwise fashion and it has not yet felt tedious (despite the tedious nature) and boring at all. Currently in Kingston which is probably one of my favourite environments ever in an AC game. So beautiful.

Downside is the story isn't so gripping and the cast has yet to really come out and stamp their authority and appeal, though I do like the dynamic between Edward and Kidd. I like Edward more than Connor too.

So far, I think my rating is as follows for the series:

Assassin's Creed II = Assassin's Creed IV
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed

Irish

Connor wasn't a good character. Neither was Ezio though.

Altair was the only decent one out of the bunch. He's the only one who actually felt like a real person to me. Eh, I kind of like Edward too.

Connor wasn't a good character. Neither was Ezio though.

Altair was the only decent one out of the bunch. He's the only one who actually felt like a real person to me. Eh, I kind of like Edward too.

This is a great article that discusses Connor's characterization that shouldn't be ignored: http://leviathyn.com/games/opinion/2013/04/03/hes-not-perfect-but-connor-kenway-doesnt-suck/

edit: and this is a good listen if you have the time and want to know more about Connor's VA and his heritage, inspirations and motivation behind his voice work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU1KeUWEVa4

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hi guys, I hit a strange glitch on my road to 100% completion and I was wondering if anyone knew of a solution (on PS4). I took over Fort Charlotte and completed the first of two naval contracts (Hunter Gatherer). I went back and completed the second contract (Papers, Please). However, on my map, it says that Fort Charlotte is only 1/2 done, and the NPC is gone. In my progress tracker, it says Papers, Please is finished, but when I try to replay it, it actually loads up the first contract instead. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just downloaded the companion app on iphone. Love the fact you can complete Kenway's fleet outside the game.

REV 09

About 10 hours in, this game's story is rough...probably the worst of the series. The gameplay however is quite streamlined and mostly in the right ways. The stealth and shooting are much better but still not great. I wish the various weapons weren't so limited though. It doesn't feel like an AC game to me yet. Edward just doesn't have any of the honor that the prior characters had...the Creed part of AC seems sorely missing.

Noi

This is the one game where I wish they'd drop the pretense and go nuts with ficticious stuff like taking on legendary sea creatures like a kraken. They even have the in-game justification for it
(since it's all technically a video game to the player)

I'd buy a season pass for that. :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm really disappointed with ps3 version....
Some places (cities) cause really bad fps drops :( Framerate is fine when sailing and in some missions though and at least it runs better then AC3 on ps3.

I hope it's better on ps4 when I upgrade to the nextgen.

It runs flawlessly at 30 fps on the PS4, I haven't noticed a single dropped frame. It also never runs higher than 30 though (which the PS3 version does at times, if I'm not mistaken?). My guess is that the PS4 version could reach significantly higher framerates much of the time if allowed, but not all the time, which could look pretty jarring. So they decided to lock it at 30 to make it perfectly consistent at all times. Good decision, IMO. Maybe with a bit more time for optimization they could have made the PS4 version 60 fps, but with this being a cross-gen title being released on about two million platforms I think nobody expected that. But yeah, it's extremely solid performance-wise on the PS4.

I'm on the PS4 version of this game and I love it, though there is one nagging audio issue that bothers me.

It seems like whenever you start to go exploring an island or just sailing, when the music kicks in, it kind of "skips" once and then proceeds on, but it seems to do this every time in the same spot of a bunch of the tracks. Anybody else experience this?

Yeah, I've noticed some weird skipping in the music at times.

senahorse

Uplay is asking me to update the game on PC, when I say yes it wants to download the whole game again, 22GB. If I choose not to update it I can only play offline.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This issue annoys me a bit (PS4):

ibzmBptOpQaXok.jpg

The HBAO shading (I think) doesn't reach the edges of the screen. As you move the camera, there's a clear border where it starts and stops existing. Looks quite annoying once you're aware of it. Only visible if you're running the game 1:1 pixel-mapped, of course, so maybe Ubisoft didn't expect people to do that. Which would be really stupid.

Bebpo

Banned
So umm, any tips for taking on the 2 star fort on the middle left of the map that's surrounded by tornados circling it? I can't tell if the tornados are a random event or part of the fort defenses to make the fort harder to fight.

About 10 hours in, this game's story is rough...probably the worst of the series. The gameplay however is quite streamlined and mostly in the right ways. The stealth and shooting are much better but still not great. I wish the various weapons weren't so limited though. It doesn't feel like an AC game to me yet. Edward just doesn't have any of the honor that the prior characters had...the Creed part of AC seems sorely missing.

This. The modern day stuff constantly tells the player to "find out more about the observatory" and yet once you're back in the animus, it's more pirate stuff and tutorials for the side objectives for a few missions before the sage, templars and or observatory are brought up again.

This is the one game where I wish they'd drop the pretense and go nuts with ficticious stuff like taking on legendary sea creatures like a kraken. They even have the in-game justification for it
(since it's all technically a video game to the player)

I'd buy a season pass for that. :(

After AC3's alternate history dlc complete with magical animal powers, I thought ubi would do more like it. You're right, they created a videogame in the lore, they could have done anything narratively to justify mythological creatures (Kraken, ghost ships, mermaids etc) and package it as a director's cut or special edition (in game) that the player can test. (I don't think the videogame pat is a spoiler since it has been part of the press material, no?)

kyser73

I'm loving it, most played along with Resogun.

Genuinely amazing weather & environment effects like swaying foliage & storms, generally looks fantastic (and I haven't left Havana yet!)

Really digging Edward, liking his amorality as much as I did Ezio's playboy stylings.

The locked 30fps really changes the controls too - still get the occasional freerunning falling from building disaster, and dropping is still a PITA - but generally the improved responsiveness is giving me much more enjoyment of the game.

Apoc87

Banned
I usually get bored with AC titles a couple hours in, but I'm really loving this game.

I can't wait to get home and play it.

Is there an actual economy to this game? I've just been selling rum & sugar at every port, haven't really paid any attention to the prices.

Also, do warehouses ever re-stock?

Yeah, I've noticed some weird skipping in the music at times.

Ok cool, thought my ps4 drive was faulty.

This issue annoys me a bit (PS4):

ibzmBptOpQaXok.jpg

The HBAO shading (I think) doesn't reach the edges of the screen. As you move the camera, there's a clear border where it starts and stops existing. Looks quite annoying once you're aware of it. Only visible if you're running the game 1:1 pixel-mapped, of course, so maybe Ubisoft didn't expect people to do that. Which would be really stupid.

I had mine on 1:1 pixel as well and it bothered me so I set it to normal mode.

That feel when a waterspout takes out a Man of War for you

Edit:
That feel when you try to destroy the flag and accidentally jump to your death

Blizzje

Yep. Can't believe they let this bug in. PLEASE go to Ubisoft Support and let them know about this annoying bug.

I made a video that shows the music bug happening:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1380003822249010

Music cuts out at:

0:16
1:51
3:27

The cuts happen at the exact same time, every time. Sound effects continue playing, although I've muted them for the purpose of this video. It seems the music cuts out at 'loop points'.

Please contact Ubisoft Support and submit this bug. https://support.ubi.com/en-gb/
I would grealy appreciate it if you guys would help out. Thanks.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Just started the game, but I had a bit of fun trolling a fisherman. Since Ubisoft (or should I say Abstergo) seems so vehemently set on making sure you can't bother civilians, I decided to see what I could do without the ability to grab or assassinate or even incite a fight with a civilian.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=552523461499899&l=5629397628060907160

Not much, but completely worth it for the face he gives me at 1:25 in the video.

Zabka

God dammit, everything was going so well. Game bugged out on me right at an important moment towards the end.

I mad a gif of it, not sure if this is the appropriate place to post it. It was...just so disappointing.

I was also having some audio problems that were compounding the more I played the past few days. I was no longer hearing gunfire during boardings, then no music, then no mortar or cannon fire sounds. I've been using Standby mode on my PS4 for over a week now so I tried turning it off completely and back on, seems to have resolved it. Very strange.

okayfrog

Banned
I turned off my computer and turned it back on and now the game has become basically unplayable. It runs at about 10 frames per second whereas before it ran just fine. Anyone know what could be causing this? Any other game works fine.

EDIT: Holy fuck I am such a dumbass. I was looking around on my computer thinking, "Wait, why does it say 'Intel graphics' and not 'Nvidia Graphics'?" Fucking hell I am an idiot...

Just beat it, very impressed by this. Hated AC3 and came in with low expectations, this is by far my favorite Assassins Creed. Edward Kenway is my favorite character out of all the games protagonists and his story is by far the best, especially when you consider how it all unfolds after this and how Haytham and Connor come about. I would definitely welcome some more of Edward's exploits in another game. If Ubisoft can keep putting out AC games of this quality then series fatigue will not be a problem.

Top Bottom