• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

rataven

Just started the game, and like every AC, first thing I did is turn the HUD completely off. Everything vanishes except for the quest objective in the upper left corner. Telling me to reach shore or save the merchant or whatever I'm supposed to do next. Does this ever go away?? I had to stop playing I found it so annoying, and no amount of tinkering with the HUD seemed to remove it. I mean, no shit I have to save the merchant. I don't need the game telling me that up to the point in which I do. Stupid.

Yep. Can't believe they let this bug in. PLEASE go to Ubisoft Support and let them know about this annoying bug.

I made a video that shows the music bug happening:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1380003822249010

Music cuts out at:

0:16
1:51
3:27

The cuts happen at the exact same time, every time. Sound effects continue playing, although I've muted them for the purpose of this video. It seems the music cuts out at 'loop points'.

Please contact Ubisoft Support and submit this bug. https://support.ubi.com/en-gb/
I would grealy appreciate it if you guys would help out. Thanks.

Thanks I filed it and used your video.

Has anyone found out what elite heavy shot does?

It's great for legendary ships, and two full volleys will take a man o war down to its last few bars. To use it, don't aim. Just get alongside, look at the target, and press the right trigger. Your cannonballs should have a fiery effect on them. The game may have explained that you don't 'aim' early on, but I missed it and had to look it up myself. Elite heavy shot is the best cannon ammo in the game.

Vodh

WHY DO THEY ALL FUCKING DIE BEFORE I EVEN GET TO KNOW THEM, JUST AFTER I FUCKING DECIDE THEY'RE COOL AND I WANNA KNOW THEM ;__________;

Dave1988

It's great for legendary ships, and two full volleys will take a man o war down to its last few bars. To use it, don't aim. Just get alongside, look at the target, and press the right trigger. Your cannonballs should have a fiery effect on them. The game may have explained that you don't 'aim' early on, but I missed it and had to look it up myself. Elite heavy shot is the best cannon ammo in the game.

That's not what he was asking about, though. The description for the elite heavy shot states that it can fire two volleys before reloading but it doesn't seem to be the case in the game proper. So it's either a bug or the description is flat out false.

Tourmeta

Am I missing something or is it not possible to assassinate while hanging from a ledge anymore? Don't remember if it was in AC3 or not but I never reacted to anything.

peull

On ps4 version. I just completed the game having done all side stuff apart some chests and animus fragments. After the credits, it showed a map with a lot of assassinations missions on it. I was like"great! New missions". Now when i open the map there are no missions at all.... weird.

Also i upgraded my hideout 100% a while a ago and did not get the trophy for it. Anyone had this bug and found a way to unlock the trophy? (Yes in the abstergo challenges it says i 100% upgraded it)

EDIT: nevermind the first part about missions post game. It is a glitch.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished it - this game's entire story is terrible and the ending is even worse. How can a game with a credits list of over 5000 people have such a godawful story? Surely one of those 5000 people must've stopped at some point and thought "wait a minute, this doesn't make any goddamn sense"?

There are things happening in the last couple of chapters that just boggle my mind. It feels like they cut out a chapter or two somewhere in the middle. Characters suddenly appear and the game handles it like I'm supposed to know who they are, but I don't. I was so confused the entire time, like "who are these people?". Specifically, the chapter in which you assassinate
Torres. Who was the girl with the short hair that looked like James Kidd? And who the hell was that hulking dude from the mini bossfight? Edward had this whole dialogue about thanking him for turning Edward from a coward into a soldier blabla, I had no idea what the hell he was talking about.

I'm just perplexed at how utterly stupid it is. I'm especially disappointed in the modern-day stuff. There was huge potential there, and at the end there were literally 10 seconds where I was like "hoooo shit here we go!!" but then something so incredibly silly happens that just HAS to be deliberately done just as a "fuck you" to the player.

I have such a hate/love relationship with this franchise. In the end I realised this series has arrived at a point where I love the concept of Assassin's Creed, but I hate the actual game.

Also - no secret endings? No hidden messages? Crazy futuristic mindfucks? No cool unlocks as a reward? Cool ship upgrades, weapons, outfits? Fucking nothing.

GeoGonzo

Just finished it - this game's entire story is terrible and the ending is even worse. How can a game with a credits list of over 5000 people have such a godawful story? Surely one of those 5000 people must've stopped at some point and thought "wait a minute, this doesn't make any goddamn sense"?

There are things happening in the last couple of chapters that just boggle my mind. It feels like they cut out a chapter or two somewhere in the middle. Characters suddenly appear and the game handles it like I'm supposed to know who they are, but I don't. I was so confused the entire time, like "who are these people?". Specifically, the chapter in which you assassinate
Torres. Who was the girl with the short hair that looked like James Kidd? And who the hell was that hulking dude from the mini bossfight? Edward had this whole dialogue about thanking him for turning Edward from a coward into a soldier blabla, I had no idea what the hell he was talking about.

I'm just perplexed at how utterly stupid it is. I'm especially disappointed in the modern-day stuff. There was huge potential there, and at the end there were literally 10 seconds where I was like "hoooo shit here we go!!" but then something so incredibly silly happens that just HAS to be deliberately done just as a "fuck you" to the player.

I have such a hate/love relationship with this franchise. In the end I realised this series has arrived at a point where I love the concept of Assassin's Creed, but I hate the actual game.

Also - no secret endings? No hidden messages? Crazy futuristic mindfucks? No cool unlocks as a reward? Cool ship upgrades, weapons, outfits? Fucking nothing.

Short haired pirate lady is the one who has a series of quest for the second templar key, in Habana I think. The hulking dude is "Tiburon", who
kicked Edwards ass when he caught him sneaking into the prison to free the Seer, near the beginning of the game.

The modern day stuff actually had some neat stuff as a reward for hacking computers. I think that the patient zero audio logs were fairly interesting and really well done, among other things that are also worth checking out.

There are tons of cool unlockables: Pistol swords, bulletproof armor, and unlockable cheats like
Rabbid enemies, weather control, infinite ammo, god mode, undead pirate crew, over the top pirate speak
and a few others!

Megasoum

Banned
I really like most of the mechanics in the game and everything that happens on the water...however... Why does like 75% of the story missions involve eavesdropping or tailing people?? I fucking HATE those missions.

Lingitiz

Finished this up on PC. I really liked it despite its obvious flaws. That stupid laser platforming sequence at the end was horrible though.

The AC franchise is kinda dumb and needs reworking in its core mechanics, but few series capture the same sense of mindless fun and adventure. I really hated AC3 after loving AC2 and ACB, and this one managed to stand up with the latter two for me.

DSmalls84

I just started this but is there any button that allows you to crouch or sneak? All of the options I have seen so far are context sensitive like foliage or blending in to crowds. Stealth seems kind of clunky.

iNvid02

I just started this but is there any button that allows you to crouch or sneak? All of the options I have seen so far are context sensitive like foliage or blending in to crowds. Stealth seems kind of clunky.

nah its always been like that. hiding spots, corners and generally staying out of the line of sight is all you can do

Dug

Banned
Absolutely beautiful game:
bluoVSs.jpg
The water is amazing.

Had a hard time choosing between Altair or Ezio costumes.

Bebpo

Banned
So Kenway's fleet eh?

I thought it was a fine little side-amusement to bring in money and such, but now that I've got Man o' Wars in my fleet, repairing them after ship battles is FREAKING EXPENSIVE in gems and nothing brings in enough replacement gems. So I basically need to capture ships in the main game and salvage them for diamonds if I want to bother at this point.

I'm not even sure if I want to bother with it anymore. Is there a list of all the main game items that you can get out if it? I want all the treasure maps especially. And to get 100% sync in the main ACIV do you need to get all the items out of Kenway's fleet?

Another question I have is the MP. I tried it for the first time last night and I couldn't play a single game. Kept getting disconnected/dropped before every game started. Is this the NAT thing they're talking about? It says my upload is good but NAT is not so good. I can play multi in like every other PS4/console game and I played multi in AC: Rev on my PC, so seems odd I'd need to mess with my internet settings for this one.

Also started using the iOS companion app and it's nice but I dunno why they don't let you listen to the sea shanties in the main game and only on iOS. But yeah, listening to them is the best part of the companion app for me lol

Dead

well not really...yet
So Kenway's fleet eh?

I thought it was a fine little side-amusement to bring in money and such, but now that I've got Man o' Wars in my fleet, repairing them after ship battles is FREAKING EXPENSIVE in gems and nothing brings in enough replacement gems. So I basically need to capture ships in the main game and salvage them for diamonds if I want to bother at this point.

I'm not even sure if I want to bother with it anymore. Is there a list of all the main game items that you can get out if it? I want all the treasure maps especially. And to get 100% sync in the main ACIV do you need to get all the items out of Kenway's fleet?

Another question I have is the MP. I tried it for the first time last night and I couldn't play a single game. Kept getting disconnected/dropped before every game started. Is this the NAT thing they're talking about? It says my upload is good but NAT is not so good. I can play multi in like every other PS4/console game and I played multi in AC: Rev on my PC, so seems odd I'd need to mess with my internet settings for this one.

Also started using the iOS companion app and it's nice but I dunno why they don't let you listen to the sea shanties in the main game and only on iOS. But yeah, listening to them is the best part of the companion app for me lol
Theres an outfit and some weapons that you can only get through Kenway's fleet

cilonen

Ever since getting mortars on my ship I can;t use the spyglass to spot ships and see their stats - just for aiming the mortar.

I've tried all kinds of button combinations and it's not happening/ IS this "working as intended"or am I doing something wrong?

Ever since getting mortars on my ship I can;t use the spyglass to spot ships and see their stats - just for aiming the mortar.

I've tried all kinds of button combinations and it's not happening/ IS this "working as intended"or am I doing something wrong?

R1/RB for spyglass, L1/LB for mortar

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Hey this game isn't half bad! Didn't expect that. Will the assassination missions get a bit more complicated and story based later on? Loved the assassinations in AC1 'cause of the planning that (can) go into it, and so far all of IV's kill scenarios are pretty throwaway.

Where can you view your play time in this game? They seem to have moved it each of the last few AC games and I can't find it.

After playing on X1 for a couple weeks (mostly BF4) and going back to this game on the 360 the frame rate is pretty rough. MS should have done digital to digital $10 upgrades with all the cross-gen games like they did with COD Ghosts.

I did take on my first fort today and that was a lot of fun. Dodging through mortar fire from the fort, launch my own attacks, and then to boot a couple ships came to defend the fort against me. Pretty crazy combating that all at once.

finished the game on WiiU. great game overall. currently i would say its my favorite. they really expanded on the naval battles on 3, which were pretty awesome, and made a whole game around that in addition to having the biggest map for an open world game out there (with exception maybe to GTA SA and Windwaker). the story is great the characters are good Its hard to find flaws (the battle system still leaves something to be desired).

now im finally off to mario 3d world!

Logash

What's the fastest way to get to 55 in the multiplayer? I can't believe this is required for platnium. If you are gonna put multiplayer achievements then please make them throw away. Not everyone wants to play multiplayer for 20 hours :(

ButchCat

Guys I'm gonna need your help, my save file on the PS4 just got corrupted, I have a save file on the PS+ cloud, but nowhere in the menu does the game allow you to reload. Help! I've put so many hours into this.

Maddocks

Just got the game a little more then a 3 days ago. Got it for PC for free because I bought a new pc and it was part of the holiday bundle.

wow it looks amazing on all max settings. I figured I would waste some time with it and not enjoy it, but I was wrong. fun game. Once I remember the names of places I want to go, it will be awesome.

Bebpo

Banned
Is there a way to delete your save and then download the one from the cloud?

also how'd your save get corrupted. This is the first time I've heard of save corruption happening on the ps4.

ButchCat

Is there a way to delete your save and then download the one from the cloud?

also how'd your save get corrupted. This is the first time I've heard of save corruption happening on the ps4.
My PS4 randomly did a shut down which corrupted the save file. I did just what you said but there is no prompt that allows to load these files from the game menu.

Vodh

My PS4 randomly did a shut down which corrupted the save file. I did just what you said but there is no prompt that allows to load these files from the game menu.

In the XMB go to Settings>Application Saved Data Management>Saved Data in Online Storage>Download to System Storage and select the save. Hope it helps and it didn't upload the corrupted save to the cloud...

Might want to delete the corrupted save from the Saved Data in System Storage menu before.

Let us know if that helped!

ButchCat

In the XMB go to Settings>Application Saved Data Management>Saved Data in Online Storage>Download to System Storage and select the save. Hope it helps and it didn't upload the corrupted save to the cloud...

Might want to delete the corrupted save from the Saved Data in System Storage menu before.

Let us know if that helped!
I've already gone through all of that including deleting the corrupted save but when I boot up the game it doesn't recognize the files in the menu and you can't simply select the save and just load either. I've put so much time into this with 70% synchronization. Starting all over again doesn't feel worth it.

Greecian-

How is it possible that I've put 45 hours into this game and have yet to find a royal convoy? I'm connected to Uplay. I don't get it.

Bebpo

Banned

:(

If you can't find a solution...sorry man. This is a game that's so huge and so repetitive (but still fun) that I'd never want to replay 70% of the game again even though I'm enjoying it a lot. At that point I'd say just cut your loses, youtube the rest of the cutscenes and play the next AC Pirate game that'll be out in 10 months.

DMiz

How is it possible that I've put 45 hours into this game and have yet to find a royal convoy? I'm connected to Uplay. I don't get it.

Check the map obsessively. The moment you see anything blue in the ocean, you gun after that thing like no tomorrow - there's a strict time limit on how long it will be there.

If you're already doing that and you still haven't found one recently, that's super strange. I've got a playtime of about 30 hours and I think I've seen about 2 at this point? I haven't seen any white whales at all, though.

mclem

Check the map obsessively. The moment you see anything blue in the ocean, you gun after that thing like no tomorrow - there's a strict time limit on how long it will be there.

If you're already doing that and you still haven't found one recently, that's super strange. I've got a playtime of about 30 hours and I think I've seen about 2 at this point? I haven't seen any white whales at all, though.

I had - and broadcast - a white whale last night. A bit of a shock, given I'd not done any harpooning prior to that, so it was a rapid tutorial as well!

One thing I was wondering after it happened: Had I gained AC friends *after* the initial discovery and broadcast, would they have gained knowledge of the whale, or do you only broadcast on the first appearance?

(On top of that: Do you have to do anything to help a friend in Kenway's Fleet, or does it just happen passively under some criteria? I've been helped a few times and can't see how to return the favour)

SJRB

Gold Member
I had - and broadcast - a white whale last night. A bit of a shock, given I'd not done any harpooning prior to that, so it was a rapid tutorial as well!

One thing I was wondering after it happened: Had I gained AC friends *after* the initial discovery and broadcast, would they have gained knowledge of the whale, or do you only broadcast on the first appearance?

(On top of that: Do you have to do anything to help a friend in Kenway's Fleet, or does it just happen passively under some criteria? I've been helped a few times and can't see how to return the favour)

You can help your friend's fleet in two ways: speed up travel time or repair damages to a ship. When you're in the Kenway's Fleet screen, under the "missions in progress" menu you can see the ships of your friend. Select it and help it by greatly reducing travel time or fixing the ship.

ButchCat

If you can't find a solution...sorry man. This is a game that's so huge and so repetitive (but still fun) that I'd never want to replay 70% of the game again even though I'm enjoying it a lot. At that point I'd say just cut your loses, youtube the rest of the cutscenes and play the next AC Pirate game that'll be out in 10 months.

Anyone here would be kind enough to send me their game save?

i am really, really enjoying this game. aside from this, i've only played ac1 which i found to be a bore-fest and haven't bothered with the serious since. i decided to pick this up for ps4 so that i'd have something other than fps to play. this game has sucked me in like you would not believe!

obviously, the game has some flaws (the auto-platforming sucks a lot of the time and the combat leaves something to be desired), but it's a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts for me. the ship battles and boarding are awesome and i'm addicting to upgrading my ship to be as powerful as possible. i also think that the campaign has really solid pacing so far. it's constantly rolling out new things to keep the game interesting while not abandoning the existing mechanics.

lastly, there's some really great touches in this. the way the crew sings on the ship is fantastic and i get a big smile on my face every time they cheer when i board the ship and walk up to the wheel.

i feel like there's so much potential here. they should spin this off into it's own, more focused pirate game.

Not terribly surprising, but still cool to see
ties to Watch Dogs. Wonder if it's just a simple nod or a more substantial link we'll see more of in the future.
Only midway through the game so I suppose there may even be more I've yet to see.

ties to Watch Dogs. Wonder if it's just a simple nod or a more substantial link we'll see more of in the future.
Only midway through the game so I suppose there may even be more I've yet to see.

Are
ties to WD
obvious? I've only done two real world missions so far.

SJRB

Gold Member

I finished the game and have no idea what the ties to WD are supposed to be.

Top Bottom