• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

I finished the game and have no idea what the ties to WD are supposed to be.

Its not much, but
there's a bunch of references to ctOS in the computer documents implying abstergo uses that companies tech. ctOS can be seen in a bunch of Watchdogs trailers, in security cameras and stuff.

its similar to far cry 3 which has a bunch of abstergo logos in underground bunkers on the island, very small references that maybe ubisoft is trying to create a connected universe between games.

SJRB

Gold Member
Its not much, but
there's a bunch of references to ctOS in the computer documents implying abstergo uses that companies tech. ctOS can be seen in a bunch of Watchdogs trailers, in security cameras and stuff.

its similar to far cry 3 which has a bunch of abstergo logos in underground bunkers on the island, very small references that maybe ubisoft is trying to create a connected universe between games.

lol I know what ctOS is but I must've missed it. Maybe I haven't hacked the right PC yet.

That frogger hacking minigame man, it's just.. so bad.

lol I know what ctOS is but I must've missed it. Maybe I haven't hacked the right PC yet.

That frogger hacking minigame man, it's just.. so bad.

ok, lol. i think the references were in one of those level 3 rooms. there's like a big brochure from ctOS.

this Video has the whole thing

Really liking this on PS4. Liked the Ezio games better but this is definitely better than 3. I need more ships to help for fire barrels. PSN ID is username.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Its not much, but

There are also a bunch of self aware references like
not wanting to create simulations during the 20-21st century where people drive a bunch of vehicles, because "there are much better places to experience that", along with references to a "hacker in Chicago".

I don't understand white whale harpooning at all. I got him to abandon his tail attack once, on accident basically. Ever since then, I hit the whale with the harpoon as he's reeling upward, but it doesn't seem to bother him at all. Do you have to stick it right in the fins? What is the right timing? Also, is there some way to brace myself so as not to fall backward when he starts to pull the rope? It costs me a couple of harpoon's worth of damage each time I attempt it.

I don't understand white whale harpooning at all. I got him to abandon his tail attack once, on accident basically. Ever since then, I hit the whale with the harpoon as he's reeling upward, but it doesn't seem to bother him at all. Do you have to stick it right in the fins? What is the right timing? Also, is there some way to brace myself so as not to fall backward when he starts to pull the rope? It costs me a couple of harpoon's worth of damage each time I attempt it.
I think you have to hit him twice as he springs upwards for it to stop his attack, which means you have to hit him as soon as he breaks the water and throw another one really quick.

I think you have to hit him twice as he springs upwards for it to stop his attack, which means you have to hit him as soon as he breaks the water and throw another one really quick.

That's true of the big attack where he flops on you. Is it the same for the tail? There's not much time to work with there at all =(

That's true of the big attack where he flops on you. Is it the same for the tail? There's not much time to work with there at all =(
I found for the tail attack that it didn't stop the attack the closer to the water level I hit it at, so you have to seemingly hit closer to the end of the tail for it to not damage you.

Jtrizzy

Holy shit this game is amazing in 3d, and that's even with some shadows broken. Even though I have to play at 720p because it's a plasma, it looks like real life when you are swimming, on the boat looking at the water. Going down in the metal thing is crazy too swimming with the sharks and schools of fish in 3D.

I briefly set my pc to output 1080p24hz so I could see the 3d effect in 1080, but the frame rate was just too bad. It look way better, makes me wonder/sad why they couldn't allow 1080p3D at 30hz

GeoGonzo

My take on the harpooning: I think that some creatures like the white whale need to be dealt X damage during their attack animation if you want to interrupt it. An upgraded harpoon will stop it every time, but if you haven't upgraded it... well, it may take two or more, making it almost impossible to interrupt in time to avoid the damage.

Finally finished Deus Ex on Wii U (great game), and unwrapped this one. For some reason the update didn't start loading yesterday, so I went on without it. I was a bit disappointed how the first island looked, everything was a bit jaggy and messy. I prefer the clean look AC3 had in wilderness sections... Anyway, Havanna looked a quite bit better, the extra detail that the buildings have is pretty impressive. What was less impressive was the frame rate, I hope Ubi patches this up. The game is still playable, but I haven't seen anything this bad in some time...

The present day segment that I played was pretty short, but it was already a bit more interesting than most of the Desmond stuff in AC3. And no frame rate problems here, maybe the first person perspective helped.

RedAssedApe

Banned
kept hoping the story would get better but nope. just a bunch of time skipping and brief exposition about poof suddenly someone becomes a baddie. :(

also next gen foilage was neat at first but all its there for is to hide how bad stealth still is even after 6 games

Dysun

Legendary ships

I'm having a hard time with the twin man of wars, does the partner speed up/get stronger when one goes down? Sure feels like I go down way quicker when I finally take one of them out. Anybody have any tips for handling them?

B4D1E

Legendary ships

I'm having a hard time with the twin man of wars, does the partner speed up/get stronger when one goes down? Sure feels like I go down way quicker when I finally take one of them out. Anybody have any tips for handling them?

I didn't do it myself, but I read a few pages ago, that you have to weaken one of them until it has a few bar health left but not destroy it because the other one will go aggro on you.

Nerix

Is there a way to manage your fleet over a browser (Firexfox etc..)?

The companion app is crashing on my phone (Android 2.3.5, Samsung i9103), so the browser would be a great workaround.

Carbonox

After like 40 hours of gameplay I've just got to the bit of the story where I can go underwater. :lol :lol These bits are a bit sucky though.

EVERYTHING IS TOO ADDICTIVE

dem templar hunts

hnnngh

The Last of Us
Metal Gear Rising
Assassin's Creed 4

My top 3 games of the year. cant touch me

How do I get this animus fragment? It's on top of a chimney on the mansion in Kingston. When I climb onto the chimney Edward crouches so he's not tall enough to get it, I've also tried jumping off it I'm different directions.

BbInOxiIEAA7WwC.jpg

Hasney

Loving this game, but got a couple of questions.

1) I actually think I'm going to be a bit completionist with this. Once I've done the main quest, can I still go around and get the things I've missed, including outside of the Animus?

2) Where can I find a ship for my fleet with at least a 50 cargo hold? Been getting the royal fleet ships, but all of them so far have had a max of 40. Just keep attacking the biggest ships I see?

Carbonox

How do I get this animus fragment? It's on top of a chimney on the mansion in Kingston. When I climb onto the chimney Edward crouches so he's not tall enough to get it, I've also tried jumping off it I'm different directions.

BbInOxiIEAA7WwC.jpg

Get on the chimney, jump up (basically X without pushing the stick in any direction) and you should get it.

Dave1988

Loving this game, but got a couple of questions.

1) I actually think I'm going to be a bit completionist with this. Once I've done the main quest, can I still go around and get the things I've missed, including outside of the Animus?

2) Where can I find a ship for my fleet with at least a 50 cargo hold? Been getting the royal fleet ships, but all of them so far have had a max of 40. Just keep attacking the biggest ships I see?

1) Yes, you can collect everything after you finish the game.

2) Either look for Frigates level 38 (50 cargo capacity) or hunt Man-o-wars (they range from 70 cargo capacity to 90 cc at level 60).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hmm weird it doesn't let me jump straight up.

Edit: ah you were right, had to hold R2 too. Thanks

this one stumped me for awhile too...janky controls. where else in this game do you jump straight up?! i didn't even know this was possible without having something near you to grapple haha

Carbonox

dem shitty underwater controls

Fucking jellyfish man. Assholes.

Finished my last
Templar Hunt
so I can now get dat fancy costume.

Question: I don't have too much trouble with making money as it's too addicting robbing gear from ships. However, is there a way to really make the most money out of the fleet stuff? Or is that literally just a bit of tripe to pass some time with something else (unless there are achievements tied to it?)?

JoeM86

Finding it really unfair that the upcoming DLC, Freedom Cry, has some important story bits. I've been with this franchise since the beginning and love it, have got all story DLC and everything, but switched to the Wii U as I find it an amazing console and love how the GamePad helps gameplay in general.

I enjoyed the hell out of this game, from start to finish and intend to jump on multiplayer when my friends get it at Christmas, but come on...especially since it's being advertised on the Wii U

zlCfzROYr-UrJ3Fd3F

Made a couple of Miiverse posts about it

Finding it really unfair that the upcoming DLC, Freedom Cry, has some important story bits. I've been with this franchise since the beginning and love it, have got all story DLC and everything, but switched to the Wii U as I find it an amazing console and love how the GamePad helps gameplay in general.

I enjoyed the hell out of this game, from start to finish and intend to jump on multiplayer when my friends get it at Christmas, but come on...especially since it's being advertised on the Wii U

Made a couple of Miiverse posts about it
Yeah, it is very disappointing it isn't coming to Wii U, especially after I got all the Tyranny DLC for ACIII. Pretty shitty that they are advertising it on the console too. Would download Day 1 if it were available.

The diving mini game is the first big ' miss' of this game for me. I think it could have been a really cool somewhat relaxing mode with lots of exploration and cool and pretty things to look at; instead there are sharks, eels, jellyfish and urchins everywhere on top of having to keep track of your air and where the next treasure is. It's not hard, just irritating.

Carbonox

The diving mini game is the first big ' miss' of this game for me. I think it could have been a really cool somewhat relaxing mode with lots of exploration and cool and pretty things to look at; instead there are sharks, eels, jellyfish and urchins everywhere on top of having to keep track of your air and where the next treasure is. It's not hard, just irritating.

Agreed. It's a pain in the arse hunting for the collectibles cos of the shit controls as well.

Don't mind too much the smuggler den bits as they're more straightforward and enjoyable, with danger a lot less prevalent in the form of wildlife.

SJRB

Gold Member

The diving is garbage. I can't for the life of me figure out why it has to be this ultra dangerous thing with sharks and other shit all over the place. What, 1 shark isn't enough? No let's drop in 6. And you know what? Let's drop jellyfish in front of every shipwreck entrance so the player has to awkwardly manouver around them while the sharks are coming. And to top it off we hide eels in the long grass like fucking velociraptors in The Lost World.

Great fun.

Carbonox

Just defeated my first Legendary Ship.

RyzeWiR.gif

Incredible battle. I had a sliver of health. Those fuckers cover the entire fucking battlefield with their damn mortars. You can blindside them though and they become pretty easy. Then again I have the Elite Hull, Elite Round Cannon, etc. so I'm definitely prepared.

FELT SO FUCKING GOOD THO.

Need help with another animus fragment:

BbK0INzIUAAgZiQ.jpg

It's in an enemy hideout in an underwater cave. I have no weapons except for a couple swords/axes dudes have dropped but nothing seems to let me knock this door down.

Edit: I got it, you have to swim in a passage to get there

Jharp

Still having trouble getting to the Aveline content. My game came with two codes: one for uPlay and one for "exclusive content". I put the exclusive content one in twice, but Aveline's not showing up in the main menu. I did get Black Island in my game, which I understand is exclusive content, but no menu selection for Aveline.

I wants to play it :(

Hasney

1) Yes, you can collect everything after you finish the game.

2) Either look for Frigates level 38 (50 cargo capacity) or hunt Man-o-wars (they range from 70 cargo capacity to 90 cc at level 60).

Cheers, got a couple of Man o wars in the South so should sort me out for a bit.

Still having trouble getting to the Aveline content. My game came with two codes: one for uPlay and one for "exclusive content". I put the exclusive content one in twice, but Aveline's not showing up in the main menu. I did get Black Island in my game, which I understand is exclusive content, but no menu selection for Aveline.

I wants to play it :(

It's free for PS+ members in the store, you have to download it.

Nerix

Question: I don't have too much trouble with making money as it's too addicting robbing gear from ships. However, is there a way to really make the most money out of the fleet stuff? Or is that literally just a bit of tripe to pass some time with something else (unless there are achievements tied to it?)?
The fleet mini game is a great way to earn much money in a short time frame - by far my biggest source of income.

A few steps how to succeed:
  • Don´t repair the Jackdaw or get rid of pirate hunters after boarding a ship. Take the ship to your fleet (even if it´s a small one, you can sell it for diamonds)
  • before starting your ships journey, fight to make the routes more safe and (more important) get trade ressources and diamonds; hint: enter and leave the fight screen several times, the enemy ships will change every time --> look for the weakest opponents
  • extend the number of your docks by spending diamonds, so that you can get a larger fleet (later on that will get really expensive, so safe as much diamonds as possible by selling ships and fight naval battles)
  • get bigger and better ships for you fleet (better combat strength and bigger cargo capacity --> more lucrative routes available)
  • Use the companion app for your phone - by spending a few minutes during the day, you can send your ships on a second journey and increase your profit

Weird thing happened yesterday, it was like the frame rate was not nearly as bad as the day before. Maybe I already got used to it, and now my brain is now configured to accept this as ok frame rate... well, better not play any other game before I'm finished with this one.

Maybe it's like with Vice City back on PS2. The first time I booted the game I was shocked how ugly it was. But I quickly got used to it, and the game started to look good even...

SJRB

Gold Member
A handy tip for some additional metal farming is to NOT get rid of your wanted level. Pirate hunters carry between 30 and 80 units of metal and they spawn very regularly.

Not to mention they're easy as hell to take down.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Any way to get past the man of wars on ever a splinter? I guess my ship is under leveled because I get destroyed. I hate shit like this. Don't want to have to grind for metals just to upgrade...

SJRB

Gold Member
Any way to get past the man of wars on ever a splinter? I guess my ship is under leveled because I get destroyed. I hate shit like this. Don't want to have to grind for metals just to upgrade...

It sucks yeah, but I recommend at least upgrading your hull to max [Elite] so you can take quite a lot of damage. Things can get pretty hairy in the later parts of the game.

Unfortunately grinding is a required part of this game, there is no other way to gain enough metal to upgrade your ship. It's worth it though.

Just started this on PS4 yesterday... turned off certain HUD elements before I started (mini-map, puppet, tutorials, etc.), and wow it's amazing to play this way. Exploration is that much more fun without the mini-map, especially when you find treasure and stuff. Game looks gorgeous too.

Hasney

Just started this on PS4 yesterday... turned off certain HUD elements before I started (mini-map, puppet, tutorials, etc.), and wow it's amazing to play this way. Exploration is that much more fun without the mini-map, especially when you find treasure and stuff. Game looks gorgeous too.

I like this way with a map on the tablet. Kind of wish there was a map app on an e-reader for that paper feel.

Top Bottom