• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Family tree speculation, post Black Flag:
Edward is pretty clearly the only possible father of Mary's child:
-She gave birth in August of 1720, at which point her child was taken away.
-Her trial was four months earlier, in April of 1720.
-That puts the date of conception at decemberish, yet the jack/anne/mary ship was captured in October.
-Edward asks Anne if she knows who the father is - oh, wait, no, he asks if Mary TOLD lher who the father is. She assumes she knows: the lad who fought with them as their ship was captured. Eleven months before the child was born.
-Edward was taken to the same Jamaican prison by Roberts in the fall/winter of 1719, but was given leeway to move around through Woodes' intervention in hopes that E. would reveal the location of the Observatory, as shown during the trial of Mary and Anne.
-There's a thread on the AC Initiates forum where one of the main story guys said that they had to cut a scene where when Jack's ship was captured, all the men ditched Anne and Mary - except Edward!
-I pretty much am convinced that Edward, given a loose leash in the Jamaican prison, observed Anne's state and pragmatically inseminated Mary in the hopes of delaying her execution.

Carbonox

One of the treasure maps I need is a Fleet reward for beating "The Empty Cellar" - a mission in the Eastern British Colonies. However, looking at the missions for the Eastern British Colonies, the mission isn't there. There are 4 others though.

y is dis

Hasney

Ah cool. Looks like my ACIV playing friends aren't bothering then!

One of the treasure maps I need is a Fleet reward for beating "The Empty Cellar" - a mission in the Eastern British Colonies. However, looking at the missions for the Eastern British Colonies, the mission isn't there. There are 4 others though.

y is dis

Need to unlock the city the mission refers to by doing other fleet missions first. Look for the ones that say "WILL UNLOCK: (whatever city you need)"

If that city can't be unlocked yet, just do the missions that unlock other cities and you'll get there eventually.

EDIT: EDIT BUTTON HASNEY, NOT QUOTE YOU DAMN FOOL

Carbonox

Need to unlock the city the mission refers to by doing other fleet missions first. Look for the ones that say "WILL UNLOCK: (whatever city you need)"

If that city can't be unlocked yet, just do the missions that unlock other cities and you'll get there eventually.

EDIT: EDIT BUTTON HASNEY, NOT QUOTE YOU DAMN FOOL

Oh nice thanks. I shall get on that once my ships return after 30+ hours (whyyyyyyyyyy).

I do actually need to open more slots and pick up some new ships.

Hasney

Oh nice thanks. I shall get on that once my ships return after 30+ hours (whyyyyyyyyyy).

I do actually need to open more slots and pick up some new ships.

Add Hasney to PSN and I'll try this fleet mission speeding up gimmick from my phone app if I can.

Hasney

Not on my ships in progress list. Might have to boot into the PS4 game to sync my friends with Uplay or something so I'll have a look when I get home later.

Hurley

Fuck sakes only just discovered that this has multiplayer trophies.

Well that's put me off wanting to try and get them all.

Dave1988

Thanks, I'll add you once I get back on the PS4.

It sucks but I think I'll definitely go for them. Level 55 is bollocks though, AC3's requirement was a lot less and bearable.

It's not really, though. It takes around 15 to 20 hours playing Wolfpack to reach level 55. The rest of the MP trophies are easy too.

Hasney

How is the multiplayer? I found it the only enjoyable thing in Revelations and I tried to play 3, but I had it on Wii U and I never found a game.

Does Black Flag install for PS4? The back of the box says I only need 11MB minimum to play and it was instantly playable.
I thought they all had to install for PS4?

Dave1988

Does Black Flag install for PS4? The back of the box says I only need 11MB minimum to play and it was instantly playable.
I thought they all had to install for PS4?

It installs 21,9 GBs to the Harddrive. Singleplayer is playable from the get go. Multiplayer installs as you play.

Carbonox

Final Legendary Ship defeated. Top left one is a right cunt.

Now to finish off the last 3 or 4 sequences, do the modern day stuff and then all that's left are the multiplayer trophies and to 100% sync all the main sequences (I can do that another time).

SJRB

Gold Member
5 minute preview of Freedom Cry.

Looks awesome. I'm glad that Adawale
get his own ship and you can upgrade it, too
. This DLC looks to be way more substantial than the SP DLC III got. Can't wait!

I hope Ubi handles the whole slavery theme a bit delicately. They're not known for being very subtle, so I wonder how this will pan out.

Also, Adawale getting the EXACT same ship as the Jackdaw is a pretty big disappointment.

Dysun

Final Legendary Ship defeated. Top left one is a right cunt.

Now to finish off the last 3 or 4 sequences, do the modern day stuff and then all that's left are the multiplayer trophies and to 100% sync all the main sequences (I can do that another time).

The Double Man of Wars caused me to ragequit, I have to go back and finish my 100% play through. First time I've ever bothered doing that in these games but it has been pretty enjoyable.

Toa TAK

Banned
I hope Ubi handles the whole slavery theme a bit delicately. They're not known for being very subtle, so I wonder how this will pan out.

Also, Adawale getting the EXACT same ship as the Jackdaw is a pretty big disappointment.

I dunno, I thought they handled "The Passion" play in AC: Brotherhood well.

on ps4 have they fixed the entire uplay\fleet crap? I have 200+ friends and don't feel like deleting them to be able to play the game, the fleet is the best source of money it seems..

Just finished it. Played the xbone version. Was very impressed with how stable the frame rate was, considering the atrocity that was AC:Revelations on my 360. Probably my favorite AC game just a little bit short of ACB. That's because ACB has the awesome recruit-a-bro feature. I hope they put it back for AC5.

I actually thought the non-animus portion wasn't that bad, and was quite clever. Really captures how some game dev shops are and that fake Pirates movie/trailer gag was amazing in how on point it was with many posts that I'm seeing on GAF.

there was a gif here with a guy doing an amazing kill streak? Edward jumped from one boat to the other while assassinating a guy, then threw a smoke bomb, then used a guy as a human shield. where is this gif? :)

Bebpo

Banned
One thing that's really weird and kind of pointless is the hideout upgrades. Like when I first got a hideout I was like YES, THIS IS AWESOME thinking they were incorporating AC2's city upgrades to build your own pirate hideout.

But there's really no point to it. You never really go to your pirate hideout and the upgrades are a bunch of boring stuff and caps off with the ultimate upgrade THE GUEST SHACK - CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE DONE WITH THIS SIDEQUEST.

Seems so odd and half-finished. They should've let you build up Nassau instead and change the design of the city or add economy stuff into it like AC2 where you fix up the city and get a % of all the pirate dough that's coming in or something. As is, it really just seems like a thing to suck lots of your money away when you should be using it to upgrade your ship instead.

One thing that's really weird and kind of pointless is the hideout upgrades. Like when I first got a hideout I was like YES, THIS IS AWESOME thinking they were incorporating AC2's city upgrades to build your own pirate hideout.

But there's really no point to it. You never really go to your pirate hideout and the upgrades are a bunch of boring stuff and caps off with the ultimate upgrade THE GUEST SHACK - CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE DONE WITH THIS SIDEQUEST.

Seems so odd and half-finished. They should've let you build up Nassau instead and change the design of the city or add economy stuff into it like AC2 where you fix up the city and get a % of all the pirate dough that's coming in or something. As is, it really just seems like a thing to suck lots of your money away when you should be using it to upgrade your ship instead.
Yeah, I stopped upgrading it after awhile, and focused on my ship. I thought there would be some missions involving the hideout, but it's really all just cosmetic and useless.

SJRB

Gold Member

Build a 15,000 bucks brothel - "you can now hire dancers for free".

Well gee thanks game, those costs about 100 bucks. So I have to hire 151 groups of dancers to make this investment worthwhile.

I agree that the hideout is a waste of resources. It would be cool if they made it actually interactive. You know, if Edward was able to sit in a chair or something. Have the ability to let them sing chanties at the beach bonfire [7,000 bucks for a bonfire, what? It's just a fucking tree cut up and set on fire].

But as with almost everything in this game, it's just a facade. It's there for you to look at.

MMaRsu

This game is so damn good on PS4. A shame I played it 40% on ps3. Anyway why cant I sync my assassins creed 4 app with my ps4? I also cant login via the uplay logo on the black flag main screen.

This game is so damn good on PS4. A shame I played it 40% on ps3. Anyway why cant I sync my assassins creed 4 app with my ps4? I also cant login via the uplay logo on the black flag main screen.
I would love to know the answer to the last part as well; haven't been able to log on to the uplay servers for a few days on my Xbox One..kinda annoying.

Carbonox

Just beaten the story. Man what a ride. Lovely ending but I agree that it's very abrupt. I feel like there should have been something a bit more fleshed out prior but the ending itself was fine.

I do have more questions though as I feel it doesn't answer too much.

I also feel that before they do a full on AC5 I really want a Haytham game to tie up the Kenway line's history. We know Haytham is a Templar in AC3 but I'm very interested in his story. I doubt they'd do it though and they'd have to leave out any piracy which would be sad (but inevitable as piracy ain't gonna stay in the AC games forever - in-fact AC4 is where it will probably be the last mainline game with it in).

Definitely gonna go for the platinum though.

Edit: Will actually check out this Aveline DLC before I continue on with AC4. See what it's about. Never played Liberation though and I don't care to either.

BadHand

regarding wolf pack mode in MP. I'm assuming that the way to maximize points is not get spotted and assassinate simultaneously with your team.

every team I'm matched with in the game lobby just races full speed into the group of enemies, gets spotted and assassinates one guy for 100 points, leaving everyone else to kill the stragglers. sometimes I'm lucky enough to pick up a double or triple kill multiplier through luck during the shitshow, but that's it. Its impossible to wait for the focus meter to charge or to get an Ariel/hidden kill bonus without some prat giving the team away.

anyone wanna play wolfpack with me, playing for points in a private match?

Bebpo

Banned
Just beaten the story. Man what a ride. Lovely ending but I agree that it's very abrupt. I feel like there should have been something a bit more fleshed out prior but the ending itself was fine.

I do have more questions though as I feel it doesn't answer too much.

I also feel that before they do a full on AC5 I really want a Haytham game to tie up the Kenway line's history. We know Haytham is a Templar in AC3 but I'm very interested in his story. I doubt they'd do it though and they'd have to leave out any piracy which would be sad (but inevitable as piracy ain't gonna stay in the AC games forever - in-fact AC4 is where it will probably be the last mainline game with it in).

Definitely gonna go for the platinum though.

Edit: Will actually check out this Aveline DLC before I continue on with AC4. See what it's about. Never played Liberation though and I don't care to either.

AC Initiates site for background story of Haythem. Apparently they did his story in a tie-in book or something. Not very satisfying but story presentation hasn't been their strong point for a while.

Carbonox

AC Initiates site for background story of Haythem. Apparently they did his story in a tie-in book or something. Not very satisfying but story presentation hasn't been their strong point for a while.

Thanks, I just read up on the Initiates site. How half-assed. Makes Edward look weak and then despite all that happened, Haytham still goes ahead with doing the Templars' work, even knowing full well what they did to his family. :lol

Unrelated but seeing all these promotional renders for Edward makes me laugh as he looks nothing like them in the game. :lol

Random article I came across on Forbes regarding the highest-earning pirates. All the more interesting for multiple pirates being featured who are in AC4:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/09/18/top-earning-pirates-biz-logistics-cx_mw_0919piracy.html

:lol :lol :lol Good ol' Bonnet at number 15.

Carbonox

Why are there so many tail and eavesdrop missions? Does anyone actually like them? I swear every sequence has one

Yeah I'm baffled by the amount.

I don't mind the tailing ones cos they're simple but the eavesdropping ones often put you in shitty situations and make you go down poorly planned out paths that make it hard to navigate, often times getting caught, etc.

educator

Everyone's been praising this game, so im very curious and tempted to pick this game up for my PS4. I tried Assassins Creed 2 when it was free on the 360 but never got into it, might be because its old? I don't really have a question, I just want some arguments before I go and buy it, even though I kind of already made up my mind. :p

SJRB

Gold Member
Everyone's been praising this game, so im very curious and tempted to pick this game up for my PS4. I tried Assassins Creed 2 when it was free on the 360 but never got into it, might be because its old? I don't really have a question, I just want some arguments before I go and buy it, even though I kind of already made up my mind. :p

If you've already made up your mind there's no point now is there? Besides, we're not here to sell you on a game.

The difference between ACII and Black Flag is enormous. I'd even go as far as saying there is nothing that binds them other than the main character wearing a hood [occasionally] and having a hidden blade to assassinate people.

Top Bottom