• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

strafer

Definitely don't completely kill one without having the other on low enough health for one mortar shot. Otherwise you are going to have a BAD time.

Thanks! Will have that in mind when I try it.

I'm still afraid about taking on a Legendary Ship! Should I fully upgrade the ship or just focus on armor?

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Thanks! Will have that in mind when I try it.

I'm still afraid about taking on a Legendary Ship! Should I fully upgrade the ship or just focus on armor?

If you naval warfare skills are good, you can get by 3 of the 4 Legendary ships without having a fully upgraded Jackdaw. For El Impoluto, you NEED to fully upgrade the ship, as that one will kick your ass almost everytime.

In terms of upgrades, we normally suggest armor, Mortars and heavy shot, in that order of focus. The latter two will definitely help you deal lots more damage. Also don't be afraid to use chain shot. The damage is small, but they are great for slowing down and stunning ships, allowing you deliver some heavy shot broadsides for lots of damage.

not really feeling the dlc... just fucking weird having a game about slavery... yet they are pretty much just collectables for unlocks lol.

also, while the shotgun thing is nice, i'd much prefer edward's gun kata.

and you can't throw fireworks, the fuck? no clue how to even do the optional objective for that mission where you steal your ship.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
and you can't throw fireworks, the fuck? no clue how to even do the optional objective for that mission where you steal your ship.

From your starting checkpoint, you can climb up and head right. Eventually you'll see a group of guards hanging around, and another group not far off. Drop the firecrackers between the groups to lure one over, then again, to attract both (if required)

Ambitious

The companion app says I have to visit the captain's cabin in order to collect my rewards of the fleet missions, but the fleet menu in the cabin says I can't access it because the app is running..?

By the way, where can I see how many crew members I have?

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
The companion app says I have to visit the captain's cabin in order to collect my rewards of the fleet missions, but the fleet menu in the cabin says I can't access it because the app is running..?

By the way, where can I see how many crew members I have?

Crew number is displayed via the meter underneath your ship's health bar on the HUD. To see the actual number of crew members you have, head to any tavern and speak to the guy you can recruit crew members from. In the corresponding menu, you'll be able to see the exact number of crew you currently have.

strafer

So there's not a new game + thing in this right? If I unlock the Mayan outfit and then go create a new game, will that be unlocked? Would be cool to play through the story with that outfit.

From your starting checkpoint, you can climb up and head right. Eventually you'll see a group of guards hanging around, and another group not far off. Drop the firecrackers between the groups to lure one over, then again, to attract both (if required)

yeah i lure guys around, but not meeting objective... oh i guess it means i need to lure 4 with 1.

Not digging the ship stuff at all, but mostly because I SPEND SOO MUCH TIME UPGRADING THE SHIP IN THE MAIN GAME. i dont wanna do it again... but at least it seems like shops are loaded in this dlc lol.

btw whats stopping me from just boarding slave ships right away? They make it seem like you have to thin out the guard ships, but with how boarding works in ac4... would it even matter?

Teddified

yeah i lure guys around, but not meeting objective... oh i guess it means i need to lure 4 with 1.

Not digging the ship stuff at all, but mostly because I SPEND SOO MUCH TIME UPGRADING THE SHIP IN THE MAIN GAME. i dont wanna do it again... but at least it seems like shops are loaded in this dlc lol.

btw whats stopping me from just boarding slave ships right away? They make it seem like you have to thin out the guard ships, but with how boarding works in ac4... would it even matter?

I think it's because you don't need to damage(shouldn't since it kills the slaves) the slave ship to board it so you have to destroy the guards. You can't even board the guards in the first place so I guess it's a balance thing.

I found the ship to be easily upgradeable, though since I'm crazy and did all the side islands that seemed to have no point but maybe new weapons. I just attacked ships on the way to other islands and pretty much made enough to fully upgrade easily.

Wasp

I've been playing the game for just over 50 hours now on PS4 and not once have I discovered a single community chest, white whale or royal convoy.

Anyone else having this problem on PS4?

just got to sequence 10, liking the game, but bored of the ship stuff, wish the game was more like assassins creed 2. also small spoilers
why isnt he an assassin yet! this is taking forever!! does he ever become one?

so far my favs are ac2>acr>acb>ac4> ac1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ac3

hope the next game doesn't have naval travel! Also why is metal so hard to come by! finally found some ships in the south that give 100, but alot of the time its rum or cloth :( why cant we buy it like we can the animal skins :( doubt i will do much side story stuff, are there any that are worth it ?

rant over lol

I think it's because you don't need to damage(shouldn't since it kills the slaves) the slave ship to board it so you have to destroy the guards. You can't even board the guards in the first place so I guess it's a balance thing.

I found the ship to be easily upgradeable, though since I'm crazy and did all the side islands that seemed to have no point but maybe new weapons. I just attacked ships on the way to other islands and pretty much made enough to fully upgrade easily.

but the thing is you don't have to kill the guards to board the slave ship... so why not charge in there, board them first, the take out the rest?

Teddified

but the thing is you don't have to kill the guards to board the slave ship... so why not charge in there, board them first, the take out the rest?

I think it's just to make it so you try not to damage the Slave ship during the battle.

Btw I do kinda agree with the slaves being a commodity, but I can't really think of a way to bypass that besides just giving you a reward in money, but even that has connotations.

Anyway, I've noticed one issue, and sorry if I use the wrong terms here as English isn't my native language: When I look at the horizon, the gradient colors aren't smooth, but jagged. There are several "steps":

Is my screen or the video settings of my PS4 miscalibrated? I'm playing on a monitor (Asus MX279H), so I set the RGB range of the PS4 to Full, in case that's relevant.

If you're talking about what I think you are, that's called "banding" and is something that occurs with some LCD televisions and monitors. It's not the hardware, nor is there anything "wrong" per se.

ship stuff is the best part of the game

aye, on narrative and gameplay alone it's piss.

That future puzzle stuff has to go, Make the future either missions or just have it be informative cut-scenes

BTW, is the Season Pass worth it? What does it contain besides the Ade stuff? Are there any other mission based stuff planned?

Bebpo

Banned
Sequence 7, mission 3

After like 30 mins of retries on THE WORST TAILING MISSION EVER that takes forever and making sure I get my 3 stalking kills. I spend another 10 mins killing everyone on the the boat except for the commodore and his 2 guards. I get up high to Air assassinate him and somehow he sees me on the way down to stab him, which would be fine since I'd just dive in the water and wait for the alarm to stop and then try again except that when he saw me flying down to stab him, either him or his 2 guards THREW A BOMB AT THEIR OWN FEET AND INSTANTLY KILLED HIMSELF triggering the cutscene before I could hit start and restart from checkpoint.

So now 40 hours in, having 100% sync'd EVERYTHING in the game so far, I have to go through all that bullshit again just for a chance to air assassinate him, or give up on 100% just because of this one stupid thing.

ACIV's been one of my favorite games this year, but I'm honestly feeling like rage quitting and never finishing the game because of this one terrible mission. I love everything about ACIV but the main story mission design is still so goddamn terrible most of the time. They really need to improve their mission design.

Grisby

Southern seas are no joke when you're just starting out. Kind of tense dodging all of the level 30 something ships.

Is the only way to pinpoint the templar hunt stuff back at your home base? Wanted to try some of those.

One last bit, having to do with the story. Captain Kidd seems fishy, and by fishy I mean
he sounds like a she. Mary Read perhaps?
Not too far into the story as I;ve just been dicking around by I love the sharp contrast between the game and the Abstergo stuff.
Capturing a fort, and then watching as it fires at passing ships is about the most satisfying thing in this game.
Yeah, I;ve only captured one. It was pretty cool.

Teddified

Sequence 7, mission 3

After like 30 mins of retries on THE WORST TAILING MISSION EVER that takes forever and making sure I get my 3 stalking kills. I spend another 10 mins killing everyone on the the boat except for the commodore and his 2 guards. I get up high to Air assassinate him and somehow he sees me on the way down to stab him, which would be fine since I'd just dive in the water and wait for the alarm to stop and then try again except that when he saw me flying down to stab him, either him or his 2 guards THREW A BOMB AT THEIR OWN FEET AND INSTANTLY KILLED HIMSELF triggering the cutscene before I could hit start and restart from checkpoint.

So now 40 hours in, having 100% sync'd EVERYTHING in the game so far, I have to go through all that bullshit again just for a chance to air assassinate him, or give up on 100% just because of this one stupid thing.

ACIV's been one of my favorite games this year, but I'm honestly feeling like rage quitting and never finishing the game because of this one terrible mission. I love everything about ACIV but the main story mission design is still so goddamn terrible most of the time. They really need to improve their mission design.

Did you make sure to give it a one star? But yeah I agree some those missions just became annoying. At least nothing was as bad as Brotherhood's Tank mission where you couldn't get hit once.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I've given most of the missions in the game 1, 2 or 3 stars. I've probably only rated a couple of missions 4-star and I don't think I've given any 5 star. Basically if it's an eavesdrop mission it gets 1 star, and if it has stupid optional objectives it gets 1 star.

The optional objectives have really dragged the story missions down since Brotherhood. They usually have nothing to do with the mission and make you do some dumb arbitrary thing to play it just the scripted linear way they want you to. I always dread when the optional objectives pop up in a mission and usually try to get them out of the way right away so I can just do the rest of the mission my own way.

And then the problem with being OCD about 100% sync is once you bother to a whole bunch of sub-objectives you're kind of screwed because you either force yourself through every.single.one for the rest of the game or you walk away from them and feel like you wasted all that day getting all the ones to that point.

Teddified

Yeah, I've given most of the missions in the game 1, 2 or 3 stars. I've probably only rated a couple of missions 4-star and I don't think I've given any 5 star. Basically if it's an eavesdrop mission it gets 1 star, and if it has stupid optional objectives it gets 1 star.

The optional objectives have really dragged the story missions down since Brotherhood. They usually have nothing to do with the mission and make you do some dumb arbitrary thing to play it just the scripted linear way they want you to. I always dread when the optional objectives pop up in a mission and usually try to get them out of the way right away so I can just do the rest of the mission my own way.

And then the problem with being OCD about 100% sync is once you bother to a whole bunch of sub-objectives you're kind of screwed because you either force yourself through every.single.one for the rest of the game or you walk away from them and feel like you wasted all that day getting all the ones to that point.

Yeah I mostly agree, but I mainly gave 4 stars(Like) for most stuff and 2-3 if things really annoyed me. But I never had to redo I mission I got everything mostly first try, or was able to checkpoint them. It sucks that people had the Air Assassinate problem though, I'd really hate that.

Spades

Just started playing this for the first time over the past few days - not really played an AC game since the original. Damn it's big.

mstevens

I'm looking for a second retail game to play on my PS4 and for some reason this one is sticking out to me.. I'm someone who hated Assassins Creed 3 and hasn't spent much time with the first two.

Is this game different enough from 3 for me to possibly enjoy it? I like the whole "open world, mindless collecting" aspect of games usually I just found 3 to be way to slow and the movement is so clunky.

Robin64

Picked up the Wii U version today as Game are selling it for £22. Bargain!

Literally just started, so I thought I'd fuck around in the menus. Leaderboards? Ooh. Where am I...

Really? The Wii U one has only sold 26k copies? That's pretty sad.. :(

Linius

Picked up the Wii U version today as Game are selling it for £22. Bargain!

Literally just started, so I thought I'd fuck around in the menus. Leaderboards? Ooh. Where am I...

Really? The Wii U one has only sold 26k copies? That's pretty sad.. :(

Well if you think about the fact that Knack outsold Mario 3D World in the UK it's not so surprising anymore :p

But still sad.

Teddified

I'm looking for a second retail game to play on my PS4 and for some reason this one is sticking out to me.. I'm someone who hated Assassins Creed 3 and hasn't spent much time with the first two.

Is this game different enough from 3 for me to possibly enjoy it? I like the whole "open world, mindless collecting" aspect of games usually I just found 3 to be way to slow and the movement is so clunky.

Most of the Land stuff is pretty similar just less glitchy. The main draw and what you mess around with for 60% or more of the time is the Navel combat/traversal. It's similar to AC3's but just much better. It's different enough but the core land stuff is kinda the same.

Sajjaja

I just finished the game. Was nice, though lacking and kind of sudden.

Torres wasn't really someone the game should have ended with. I mean, sure, he was the Templar leader in the region, but he wasn't a villain in that evil sense. He wasn't developed enough and just kind of put there to fit that Templar archetype I guess. Wasn't satisfying.

It was nice to see little Haytham in the credits, but we all knew this was his dad anyways.

EDIT: Also, that scene where you see all your dead comrades at the table. Though I did feel emotions (I'm easily moved like that), I felt like there was not enough done to make each of those characters have a lasting impact. I didn't feel like they mattered in the end of it all. Blackbeard was the best one, and then Mary. However, everyone else (including Mary), just ended up..dead. Wish they did more with them.

Still one of my favourite games this gen. What did you all think?

JustDrive

Im real sorry if this has already been bought up but 70 odd pages is too much.

Im having problems getting into Uplay on PS4, Tried everything changed NAT etc but really I dont think thats the problem.I can log in on my PC and it shows that Ive played ACIV but on PS4 I keep getting servers not available constantly (ongoing for several days). Normally I woudnt be arsed but I have codes to redeem and frankly this Is a piss poor way to keep loyal customers of their franchise.

Top Bottom