• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Grisby

Just finished the first major quest on Tulum. How do I get back to the southern half? Can't choose it when I enter the area and the way I came from is locked?

Edit- Never mind. Found the freaking stairs.

Im real sorry if this has already been bought up but 70 odd pages is too much.

Im having problems getting into Uplay on PS4, Tried everything changed NAT etc but really I dont think thats the problem.I can log in on my PC and it shows that Ive played ACIV but on PS4 I keep getting servers not available constantly (ongoing for several days). Normally I woudnt be arsed but I have codes to redeem and frankly this Is a piss poor way to keep loyal customers of their franchise.
It is a glitch tied to how many friends you have on PSN, I believe. If you have 100 or more friends on your list, you can't connect. I reduced my list to 98, and everything worked fine afterwards. It really is crazy that this hasn't been addressed with a patch yet.

Would AC5 be worth it without Pirate ships?
I think not

Let's see, ac3 introduced us to ship battles and ac4 is based mainly on ships. Ac4 introduced us to diving missions... Therefore AC5 will tell a story of diver assassin and his battle against templar sharks.

Funny how people always hate underwater levels, and Ubi decided to add a bunch of sharks to these levels... It didn't help.

strafer

That raging moment when you have 10% left on a Legendary Ship and your computer restarts because of Windows Update Automatic Restart.

Thanks Microsoft!

Donthizz#

guys where do you find white whales, royal navy convoy and the social chest? played the game for 40+ hours and still nothing. I need that trophy..

traveler

Not Wario
Has/is the PS4 version on sale anywhere? I see all kinds of deals on the old gen versions and I think I saw a Wii U and XB1 copy on sale but I've yet to see it on sale on the one system I want it on.

strafer

Look, I don't hate the tail and eavesdrop missions but when they reach a red area I panic and start to sweat, I always fuck up in those areas and have to start over.

How's the Wii U version of this?
I've never played an AC game before, but I have a slight grasp of some of the themes and plot of the series, but I'm interested in trying this out for *reasons. Quick question, how large and varied is the world? Far Cry 3 was huge for example, but there was never much of a variation in the locations, as opposed to something like San Andreas, and I'm assuming GTA V.

*pirates

I love this game so far, but they need to work on revamping the combat for the next AC. I don't think it's any fun and it's messy as hell. I think I just hate it more in this game because you can't buy single swords, axes, or daggers. That's a terrible choice on their part for this game. Still, this surpassed AC: Brotherhood as my favorite AC game and erased the terrible memories of AC 3.

How's the Wii U version of this?
I've never played an AC game before, but I have a slight grasp of some of the themes and plot of the series, but I'm interested in trying this out for *reasons. Quick question, how large and varied is the world? Far Cry 3 was huge for example, but there was never much of a variation in the locations, as opposed to something like San Andreas, and I'm assuming GTA V.

*pirates

Wii U version is fine. There are some frame rate issues, and the game is only 720p, but having the mini-map on the controller is huge bonus. You can zoom the map via touch controls and quickly switch between dual screen mode and off-screen mode by pressing down both analog sticks at the same time. I think Ubi put a bit more effort to AC3 Wii U port than this, but it's a relatively solid port nevertheless.

The world is pretty varied, there are some big islands, some small villages, some medium sized towns and one bigger city, Havana. And some future segments, that are again completely different. I like how Havana different than all other places, but then again some of the small villages look very similar to each other.

edit:
just captured the last fort.

One thing I absolutely hate are the underwater levels. Luckily you only must do one, but some upgrade plans seem to be hidden in underwater areas... meh.

Robin64

The minimap on the controller for the Wii U version has been fantastic, to be honest. It's been a godsend for sailing between cone-of-views of enemy ships.

Also, the present day stuff in this is probably the most interesting in the series so far, so it's quite amusing it's taken a back seat.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Has the UPlay/100 PSN friends glitch even been acknowledged by Ubisoft?
I just want to know if it will eventually be fixed.

EDIT: Looks like they have:

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/FAQ.a...id=22&productid=4186&faqid=kA030000000ec83CAA

It has come to our attention that some users are encountering problems with some of the online aspects of Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag when used with a Sony Entertainment Network account with more than 99 friends.

We are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible, in the meantime, for many players having this problem, access to these features will be fully restored by removing friends until you have no more than 99.

skybald

Kenway Fleet stuff is really confusing. Is there much of a point to it? What do I get out of it?

I usually just repair my ship or reduce my wanted level.

Kenway Fleet stuff is really confusing. Is there much of a point to it? What do I get out of it?

Better ships for the minigame.

Minigame gives you crazy cash

You can also play the minigame on your phone and rack up money and basically have it waiting for you in game.

I can't seem to connect my PS4 and the AC4 android app.
LLShC.gif

The fleet stuff ends all your money problems pretty quickly. Also you get some nice items to your mansion, which is totally useless of course. And I think you occasionally get some upgrade plans for your ship? I'm not sure about this tho...

MANGOD

Banned
Why in gods name is there not a crouch button in assassins creed games??? You're a goddam assasssin and all u can do is walk or run and occasionally hide yourself in a pile of hay or closet

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

There are also some treasure maps that can only be gotten from the Fleet minigame (if you are the completionist type)

Omiee

quick question

i live in holland, if i order ghosts and black flag from amazon.co.uk

can i upgrade them from the dutch store or do i need an uk account

will dlc from the dutch store work or only from the uk store?

aaaaaaaaaaaand done. Clocked in at ~42 hrs at 99% sync. All I'm missing is a single buried chest and the reason is pretty stupid and tedious (
you get the map from a Kenway Fleet Mission, *sigh*
)
All in all a great game (kept me going for this long), but the story was a jumbled, incoherent mess.
This is a great pirate open world game, and a terrible AC game.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
99% sync is pretty impressive. Did you link your game to AC Initiates at all?

PS: The last treasure map is unlocked from Great Reputation II, in the Mediterranean route. You'll need to do Great Reputation I successfully to unlock it.

99% sync is pretty impressive. Did you link your game to AC Initiates at all?

PS: The last treasure map is unlocked from Great Reputation II, in the Mediterranean route. You'll need to do Great Reputation I successfully to unlock it.
Nope. Didn't link anything nor have I played any multiplayer. Game is uninstalled already. Moving on. ;)

I don't know how I'd be earning cash if I wasn't using Kenway's Fleet. Also, it's dumb that it gives you the option to repair the Jackdaw when most of the time you're already at full health after a fight-- the only time you need to repair it is if you lose a full bar of health or more. And reducing your wanted level is something you don't want to do if you want hunters after you. My default choice is always sending to Kenway's fleet, and then junking the ship if its not worth keeping to earn gems.

I actually really love the integration of it into the companion app, and in fact the companion app is also awesome because you can pretty much read all of the animus entries and even watch videos you unlocked.

My only complaint is that AC: Pirates should contribute to your materials/cash as well in AC4. The dream has always been to make these smartglass/second screen type experiences to be meaningful to the game, and I think if AC: Pirates was integrated into the AC4 economy, it would do that in spades.

Omiee

Depends what system you are on. Most stuff on the Sony side is region locked, and that includes DLC especially. So be aware of that.

PS4. i know UK is region 2 just like holland so DLC should work but i was wondering about the upgrade plan. If i buy a uk version of ghost can i upgrade it from the dutch store or do i need to have an uk account

Wii U version is fine. There are some frame rate issues, and the game is only 720p, but having the mini-map on the controller is huge bonus. You can zoom the map via touch controls and quickly switch between dual screen mode and off-screen mode by pressing down both analog sticks at the same time. I think Ubi put a bit more effort to AC3 Wii U port than this, but it's a relatively solid port nevertheless.

The world is pretty varied, there are some big islands, some small villages, some medium sized towns and one bigger city, Havana. And some future segments, that are again completely different. I like how Havana different than all other places, but then again some of the small villages look very similar to each other.

edit:
just captured the last fort.

One thing I absolutely hate are the underwater levels. Luckily you only must do one, but some upgrade plans seem to be hidden in underwater areas... meh.

Cheers.
Glad to hear the Wii U version is fine, and the world seems varied enough. Definitely looking forward to picking this up at some point then.

Just finished sequence 7. A bit sad ending there with that chapter, but looks like I still have 5 more sequences to play. I'm already at 65% completion rate, and have enough ships with 80 cargo to get all the fleet missions done pretty soon. The legendary ships are still kicking my ass, looks like I need more elite upgrades...

Sadly I also finished the last missions from certain Honest Businessman and Friend. These have been my favorites this far, no stealth or eavesdropping needed at all.

These community challenges are terrible. I didn't get any reward from the plunder ships one even though I did 16/15 and now they want 10 warehouses plundered? I don't think i've plundered that many during the entire game!

aaaaaaaaaaaand done. Clocked in at ~42 hrs at 99% sync. All I'm missing is a single buried chest and the reason is pretty stupid and tedious (
)
All in all a great game (kept me going for this long), but the story was a jumbled, incoherent mess.

Where can you see your play time?

Teddified

)

Yeah I was at 99% too because of that, So I ended up just turning it on for a few minutes everyday until I got the map. Of course since I was doing multiplayer anyway for the platinum I just did it before I played multi.

Though I wish I knew beforehand since I kinda stopped the Kenway's Fleet after a bit, since I didn't need money. It wouldn't have taken me as long then.

Top Bottom