• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Vashetti

Banned
Should I get this for PS4 (£17.99 sale + PS+ discount, + £10 PS4 upgrade) for £27.99, or will the PC version go that low in the Steam sale that starts today?

Wait and see how the Steam sale goes. The PS3/4 deal will run for two days anyway.

You can't go wrong with either the PC or PS4 version though.

LiK

The PS4 PSN 100 friend list bug is pissing me off so much. I can't access any of the features like the fleet OR unlock anything that requires me to redeem on Uplay. Fix your shit Ubi. I'm not purging my friend list for your stupid ass bug.

ryanmac

Banned
How do I collect my DLC items in this game? I've downloaded and installed the codes.. but the weapons and outfits and missions don't seem to be appearing.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm actually stopping missions because I want to free all the slaves. It is kind of weird freeing them from a slave auction, going around to knock a guy out from chasing another slave and the when I come back, there's now a cage with slaves spawned near the auction. I mean I knew it was widespread, but goddamn, the bodies from my original attack haven't despawned lol.

Edit: Also, Ade is just so brutal in his kills with the machete. I find myself mugging soldiers just to see his takedowns.

The way slavery is handled is pretty ridiculous, yes. It's like some kind of themepark, in this tiny village slaves getting sold on every street corner, everywhere you look slaves are getting beaten/drowned or otherwise punished, escaped slaves run across rooftops with white guys chasing them down. Free some slaves, walk around the block and the next batch has already spawned, waiting to be freed.

I'm no history expert by any stretch, especially when it comes to slavery, but I'm having a hard time believing this is how it actually went down. It's completely over the top and as surreal as it is absurd.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, the game doesn't have full microtransactions like everything else, but when metal is so fucking rare it really is tempting to just buy that resource pack. Of course, that's not even enough metal to get the final upgrades anyway, so you still need to grind. :p

LiK

You know, the game doesn't have full microtransactions like everything else, but when metal is so fucking rare it really is tempting to just buy that resource pack. Of course, that's not even enough metal to get the final upgrades anyway, so you still need to grind. :p

Not too rare. Find a bunch of ships in the South with plenty of Metal. They're just harder to take down.

Dave1988

1. Get a 4-star wanted ranking.
2. Board Man-o-Wars of pirate hunters.
3. ????
4. PROFIT!

SJRB

Gold Member
1. Get a 4-star wanted ranking.
2. Board Man-o-Wars of pirate hunters.
3. ????
4. PROFIT!

Exactly. The key to quick metal grind is the wanted level. 3-star spawns a brig and a frigate, with the brig usually carrying 98 units of metal.

Not only that, but the pirate hunters spawn pretty much every 5 minutes. You can make a ton of progress just by sailing around waiting for pirate hunters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, I might do that then. The Man Of War ships are fine, but they're usually grouped with like 4 other ships and those fights just get way too hairy.

Ah, I might do that then. The Man Of War ships are fine, but they're usually grouped with like 4 other ships and those fights just get way too hairy.

Have you figured out the New Bone... "hack"? There's a village in a southern island called New Bone that always spawns a level 90 man of war in the dock, as long as you haven't liberated the fort in the area (which I didn't know about, so I liberated it and now I can't get free man of wars anymore =(

Basically what you do is, get the eagle eye spawn location in New Bone. Spawn there, jump down, go to the dock and stealthily board the Man of War in dock. Kill all the soldiers by hand (without activating your own ship). Rip the flag off the top. Then go back to your ship that's 10 meters away in dock, fire 1 shot of cannons off the side, the Man of War will instantly go into a "board" state. Board and insta-capture it. Win.

Too bad I was only able to do this twice before I liberated the fort that controls New Bone. Once you liberate the fort, the Man of War no longer spawns because it's not a restricted zone anymore. I wish I could un-liberate a fort ;.;

Grisby

Just picked this up myself. Game looks great on the X1. Only played about 30 minutes or so but I can tell I'm gonna dig it.

The colors of the island make everything so inviting. Can't wait to get the boat.

Was gonna pick this up with a PS4 whenever I got around to getting one but I couldn't resist the positive impression, especially since last year's AC was such a personal downer. I also haven't gotten into the MP in an AC since Brotherhood so I'm looking forward to digging into that.
So I just got this game.

HOLY SHIT AT THE OUTSIDE OF THE ANIMUS STUFF. :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
I know. I love that it takes the idea of abstergo entertainment and runs with it. Very cool to see them referencing Liberation so early as well. Too bad I don't have the extra mission with Aveline in the X1 version, :(

jem0208

Considering picking this up. Not sure yet though.

I played AC1 and loved it and then I bought AC2 but wasn't that interested, mainly because I didn't really like the setting. I do however love the pirate setting.

I am worried however about the story. Do I need to have played AC Brotherhood, Relevations and 3 to understand the story in this game?

strafer

Whaling reminds me of Resident Evil 4.

And the ship combat is so damn fun. and just chilling on my ship out at sea.

I can finally play out my Jack sparrow fantasies.

and I love that they copied the crafting system from Far Cry 3.

Is there any chance of a James Kidd DLC? (I haven't finished the game so maybe I don't know a reason there can't be)

Man, the iOS app is really good and makes the whole Kenway's Fleet stuff a lot easier to deal with. I think this is the first game to have a worthy add-on app.

Teddified

Is there any chance of a James Kidd DLC? (I haven't finished the game so maybe I don't know a reason there can't be)

Man, the iOS app is really good and makes the whole Kenway's Fleet stuff a lot easier to deal with. I think this is the first game to have a worthy add-on app.

I doubt there will be much more SP DLC at least that's included in the Season Pass. Unless it's just ship stuff or tiny missions. Nothing like Freedom Cry.

Bebpo

Banned
Have you figured out the New Bone... "hack"? There's a village in a southern island called New Bone that always spawns a level 90 man of war in the dock, as long as you haven't liberated the fort in the area (which I didn't know about, so I liberated it and now I can't get free man of wars anymore =(

Basically what you do is, get the eagle eye spawn location in New Bone. Spawn there, jump down, go to the dock and stealthily board the Man of War in dock. Kill all the soldiers by hand (without activating your own ship). Rip the flag off the top. Then go back to your ship that's 10 meters away in dock, fire 1 shot of cannons off the side, the Man of War will instantly go into a "board" state. Board and insta-capture it. Win.

Too bad I was only able to do this twice before I liberated the fort that controls New Bone. Once you liberate the fort, the Man of War no longer spawns because it's not a restricted zone anymore. I wish I could un-liberate a fort ;.;

How do you liberate a fort? There's a restricted fort in Nassau but it's always empty like I somehow liberated it?

Just beat the game...
Wow! That ending.

Wasn't expecting such a profound emotional story from an AC game, although the Revelations ending was also pretty great.

I'd rank the story up there below Bioshock Infinite and TLOU this year.
Well done Ubisoft.

Grisby

Whelp, just spent an hour and some change getting everything around Havana. Haven't even done the first mission, lol.

Game runs a lot smoother than the old ones thanks to the more powerful hardware. Oh man, when it rains the game turns into something special.

Psa - Double xp weekend for multiplayer!

I actually checked out the MP for the first time last night. Had a surprisingly good time. Like, no joke, it was a blast - and has kind of been on my mind all day.

I last checked out the MP in... Brotherhood? Found it a really cool idea with kind of crappy execution. What I played last night was the complete opposite of that. Encouraged team work without any need for communication, and made for some really fun/tense moments.

Definitely looking to put more time into it, but I was surprised I hadn't heard more about how good the MP is in this game. Is it just really similar to the previous versions so everyone is burnt out, or is it really just a hidden gem?

CyReN

Really enjoyed Freedom Cry (DLC), only part that I didn't like was having to free random slaves to play the next mission and continue the story.

So I read somewhere that social events are not linked to PSN/XBL but rather to friends in UPlay.

My name is the same as it is on here and PSN; tokyostomp

maybe we should start a list and ad each other as Uplay friends to see if we can get social events to pop up.

(They are not showing up for me)

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Is that the big 3 star fort in the area? I can't remember if I liberated it, but I guess I'll give it a go when I get back to the game. Left the PS4 while I'm home for the holidays unfortunately... I'm making due with the silly iOS game in the meantime. lol

Stuart444

Does anyone have this glitch where even if they have sync'd all viewpoints, one of them isn't being counted at all (thus preventing 100% sync).

I just got it yesterday on Isla Providencia when you get sent there during the story and I saw via Google that some people got it in Kingston. Nassau, etc. Is there any fix without restarting the game? (Playing on PS4 if that helps)

Pics:

ibiYUPOIGfFVNN.jpg

iotHDdUPfJhDy.jpg

Phone pics yeah but I couldn't be bothered sharing the pics and then grabbing them from twitter.

hengyu

Just completed the story, and what an ending that was...

An AC ending without any bullshit modern world mindfuck moment... It was perfect.

I only have a PC for gaming, and I would say this is GOTY for me. AC3 was crap and I didn't expect this to be so good.

Music, story, dialogue - all up there.

Hasney

Psa - Double xp weekend for multiplayer!

... The weekend I'm away.

May have to fire up the Vita and piss some people off in Wolfpack mode with my shitty double-lag.

Random thing happening with the DLC right now. I bought the US version of the game and sorted all the DLC with my US account via season pass. All the DLC is working on my UK account except Freedom Cry. This was before Friday, so not sure if I had to wait for UK release date or what.

Hasney

Did they improve the thing where you have to 'scan' the villagers doing their jobs though? I was getting sick of running around homestead waiting for the hunter to finally go hunting for example.

I didn't play up to that in ACIII, was already bored to tears, but there's no villagers jobs in this. Just a bunch of upgrades for your house and around the island to buy.

Teddified

All you do is add a shop/harbormaster, and some stuff like a brothel that lets you hire the "dancers" for free. The rest is pretty much cosmetic to the island, there is no need to put money into the island except for a trophy/achievement, since you don't get any money for it just some perks.

Linius

I didn't play up to that in ACIII, was already bored to tears, but there's no villagers jobs in this. Just a bunch of upgrades for your house and around the island to buy.

Ah, that's good to hear. My OCD kicked in whilst playing AC: III so I did follow these villagers night and day to complete their jobs for a stupid achievement. Considering the fact that I have a 15000 something gamerscore since 2007 I don't even know why I did it. I'm not even a real achievement hunter :p

Tactics18

The music in Freedom Cry is really good.
Seems different from anything in the series.

Haven't finished it yet but i think it's pretty good dlc.

strafer

I still hate chases something fierce, because you never know where Edward will jump. I have messed up many times during chases.

Free-running is great and all but not during chases.

Stuart444

Updated my previous post with pictures if anyone knows of a fix for this (that doesn't mean restarting the game since it could easily happen again :( )

Does anyone have this glitch where even if they have sync'd all viewpoints, one of them isn't being counted at all (thus preventing 100% sync).

I just got it yesterday on Isla Providencia when you get sent there during the story and I saw via Google that some people got it in Kingston. Nassau, etc. Is there any fix without restarting the game? (Playing on PS4 if that helps)

Pics:

Phone pics yeah but I couldn't be bothered sharing the pics and then grabbing them from twitter.

Sorry you encountered that bug :(. Hope there's some kind of fix.

Dawg

Oh! Do, my Johnny Boker,
Come rock and roll me over.
Do! My Johnny Boker, do!

Oh! Do, my Johnny Boker,
The skipper is a rover.
Do! My Johnny Boker, do!

Oh! Do, my Johnny Boker,
The mate he's never sober.
Do! My Johnny Boker, do!

Oh! Do, my Johnny Boker,
The Bo'sun is a tailor.