• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Grisby

Been playing a bit of the multiplayer tonight. I wanted to try and get into it since I haven't checked out the AC MP since Brotherhood. I'm having a pretty good time and it's impressive to see how smooth the transitions have become from map to map. There's still something thrilling about picking out the right dude from the crowd or stunning some poor fool out of the running,

Money seems like it's coming a bit slow though and no portrait for Aveline? Bah

Did I hear that there are PS4 exclusive missions with the girl from the Vita game? If so are they on the disc and if so how do I access them?

On the main menu it's the block on the upper right. Freedom Cry also shows up there.
Weird I'm not seeing it.

Is it a code you have to put in? The only code I got was for uplay, which I entered a long time ago I'm pretty sure.

Edit: ah I see it, it's behind the blue plastic inside the case. Weird! Thanks.

Teddified

Weird I'm not seeing it.

Is it a code you have to put in? The only code I got was for uplay, which I entered a long time ago I'm pretty sure.

Edit: ah I see it, it's behind the blue plastic inside the case. Weird! Thanks.

Heh, yeah it's definitely a weird place to put it.

Logash

I'm not sure I can do it anymore guys. I have every single player trophy and I have got everything there is to get in the single player. 100% complete Sync. I cannot bring myself to do the multiplayer content at all. I really want this platinum because I worked so hard but man, I don't care about the multiplayer at all.

I found the first legendary ships yesterday. Two man-o-wars, working as a team. They kicked my ass without much trouble, I guess I'll have to upgrade my ship a bit before trying to fight them again. Meanwhile, doing the fleet missions seem to cure all my money problems, so maybe the game is a bit broken on this front... Of course I don't have to do these missions, they are just extra, but it's a nice enough mini-game...

I have a problem, I think? I bought the PS3 version in the recent PSN sale to upgrade to the PS4 version. That's fine, but when I start the game I'm asked to enter my Ubi passport code from the inlay slip that I don't have because it is the digital version, rather than the disc based one.

Is this right? I ask because it tells me that content is locked away if I play the game without the passport.

I am confused.

Edit: never mind. Found it under the buy passport option for free on the store :/

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm not sure I can do it anymore guys. I have every single player trophy and I have got everything there is to get in the single player. 100% complete Sync. I cannot bring myself to do the multiplayer content at all. I really want this platinum because I worked so hard but man, I don't care about the multiplayer at all.

I feel you. =\ I don't care for ACs multiplayer at all after Revelations.

Damn, I was generally upset by
Blackbeards death
. :/

Me, too.
Only because they didn't have a small scene with his head being hanged from a bowsprit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Looks like I just finished the story of Assassin's Creed 4. I didn't pay any attention to the story so I have no idea. The only reason I know is because the credits are running.

But it's been awesome pillaging and plundering as a pirate!

MMaRsu

Check the gaf faq fool.

I was very upset by ( chapter x spoiler ) the death of a mermaid

And you put a chapter warning in there then the black bars.

Grisby

So the other day I was praising the MP but now I seem to be having all sorts of problems with it.

During a match my xbox might randomly crash to the home screen or freeze causing me to have to go back to the home screen before relaunching the game.

I asked about this in the official launch thread but didn't get any answers. Has anyone who has AC4 on the Xbox one experienced this at all?

nubbe

This game sure ended abruptly and weird

"Hey, I got this letter for you" She doesn't want to use my surname"
The End

nubbe

I think multiplayer gameplay feels better because climb connections feel more arcady and coloring is more in the primary range

leng jai

Shelved this game around halfway hoping for a performance patch. Feels like I'm waiting for something that's not going to eventuate though.

just beat the game. Just have to mop up a few naval contracts for all SP trophies. I may play MP but probably not.

Also have the Season Pass. So I have Aveline's DLC and Adewale's DLC to look forward to!

Teddified

It took me about 12 days or so to get level 55 I kinda played an hour or more each day so I think it took me around 12-14 to finish that up. I'm not bad at it and usually just played manhunter with 4000-6000 points a match. It's not hard to get 55 but if you don't care for the multiplayer it's probably not worth it.

educator

Im stuck and need some advice... (no major spoilers)

I have arrived at a mission where I have to take down a fort and the game tells me I should upgrade my ship before doing it. I did try a couple of times but I keep getting killed, so my question is -- what upgrades should I focus on? I don't have much money, so I guess grinding until I get enough money/resources is my only option?

educator

Do you have mortars? That and Broadside cannons/upgrading the round shot would be good for a Fort. And of course Hull.
I just upgraded to the first entry of mortars, no idea how to use them though. I try to cruise past the fort back and forth and shoot at it sideways with those linked bombs (don't know what they're called).

Teddified

I just upgraded to the first entry of mortars, no idea how to use them though. I try to cruise past the fort back and forth and shoot at it sideways with those linked bombs (don't know what they're called).

Mortars are used with L1 on Ps4 L2 PS3, and LBumper on Xbox I think. The Canons on the front aren't as strong as the Broadside Cannons they are mostly used to shoot sails down to slow ships, or just small damage.

Speaking of weapons, I just love the sound when you fire the mortars...

I had some sound glitches where the Mortars didn't make any sound at all. It was annoying when it happened to say the least.

Also when rain comes it seems every other SFX just gets louder at least on land.

Dawg

Yeah, sound bugs ruin my immersion. Recently had one where my heavy (close range) cannons didn't make any sound. And they're my favourite weapon.

Worst part is the sound stutter. Only heard it after a fellow gaffer mentioned it. Every three minutes, the music stutters for a split second. It's kinda annoying once you notice it.

Kinda makes you wonder wtf ubi is doing. Game is terrific but the small bugs such as the 99+ friends STILL aint fixed.

Teddified

Yeah, sound bugs ruin my immersion. Recently had one where my heavy (close range) cannons didn't make any sound. And they're my favoyite weapon.

Worst part is the sound stutter. Only heard it after a fellow gaffer mentioned it. Every three minutes, the music stutterd for a split second. It's kinda annoying once you notice it.

Kinda makes you wonder wtf ubi is doing. Game is terrific but the small bugs such as the 99+ friends STILL aint fixed.

I think all AC games have some sound issues, at least AC3 and AC4 had random sync issues in combat. I kinda think they all do but it's been awhile since I played the others so I can't remember.

Grisby

Well, the single player doesn't seem to crash and sometimes I can run the mp without any problems. Since this is my first X1 game to do this I'm gonna chalk it up to Ubisoft.

Fantastic atmosphere just sailing around. Your ship bro's are surprisingly good singers.
The last two Ass Creed's have had some really depressing moments
I think Revelations still has the best AC moments for me. That ending prompt.
Take a rest.

rnaud

Wow, I wasn't expecting a lot from this game but I am 40 hours in and I think I am at 90% completion. All Islands and Forts done, now I have to get all the Uncharted stuff and redo a few missions. Go go go.

Truly a great surprise, I felt incredible riding my ship (not boat) for the first time, my first storm, my first island. Well, money well spent.

Just got into the island after Havana, great game so far.

Btw, what's the best way to get gold/money ?

Apart from the Seq2-Mission 3 pickpocket thing.

This is my first game I picked up on my xbox one and I'm loving it. After ac3 I vowed to never go pack to ac and I never thought the pirate setting was something I would like but in loving it :)

I never found the ship stuff interesting in ac3 , but in 4 I'm loving it more then I thought I would.

Logash

It took me about 12 days or so to get level 55 I kinda played an hour or more each day so I think it took me around 12-14 to finish that up. I'm not bad at it and usually just played manhunter with 4000-6000 points a match. It's not hard to get 55 but if you don't care for the multiplayer it's probably not worth it.
Yeah, I'm sure it easy it's just tedious when you don't enjoy it at all. I might try again but idk.

Just got into the island after Havana, great game so far.

Btw, what's the best way to get gold/money ?

Apart from the Seq2-Mission 3 pickpocket thing.

Piracy. Well, fleet missions, if you click away every now and then with a tablet you don't even have to boot up the game.

Squire

Banned
I finished this earlier today. Played on PS4.

I liked it a lot and I would've liked it more if not for the lousy main mission design. There's waaaaaay too much tailing/eavesdropping. I really hope they dial that stuff back in the future, but that's my only real complaint.

Fighting on land and sea is fun. Assassin contracts are fun. Collecting shantys/fragments/chests is fun. I love the Templar Hunt quest lines. The assassins you get to meet are so cool. The cast in general is really great across the board.

I love the present day stuff in this one. Excellent.

I really love Edward. His arc feels genuine and I think he's the most likable protagonist the series has had.

I'm looking forward to playing through Freedom Cry in the next few days and I hope there's a DLC where Edward
finishes off Rogers
, but if not I'll just look forward to what they do next and hope it's as good (preferably better) than this.

Do you get anything besides an achievement for achieving 100% sync across the whole game?

strafer

Mortars are used with L1 on Ps4 L2 PS3, and LBumper on Xbox I think. The Canons on the front aren't as strong as the Broadside Cannons they are mostly used to shoot sails down to slow ships, or just small damage.

I had some sound glitches where the Mortars didn't make any sound at all. It was annoying when it happened to say the least.

Also when rain comes it seems every other SFX just gets louder at least on land.

Yeah, sound bugs ruin my immersion. Recently had one where my heavy (close range) cannons didn't make any sound. And they're my favourite weapon.

Worst part is the sound stutter. Only heard it after a fellow gaffer mentioned it. Every three minutes, the music stutters for a split second. It's kinda annoying once you notice it.

Yeah, I've had some sound problems...but that's some I've encountered in every AC game.

Hope they fix that.

Ambitious

I've started the game yesterday. Pretty amazing so far. The weapon/tool selection sucks, though. Why no time-slowing selection wheel? Oh, and what's with the random capitalization in the subtitles?

Anyway, I've noticed one issue, and sorry if I use the wrong terms here as English isn't my native language: When I look at the horizon, the gradient colors aren't smooth, but jagged. There are several "steps":
img_0017utq6r.jpg

Is my screen or the video settings of my PS4 miscalibrated? I'm playing on a monitor (Asus MX279H), so I set the RGB range of the PS4 to Full, in case that's relevant.

Top Bottom