• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Anyone have any tips for taking down El Impoluto? It's the last Legendary ship I need to take down...

I've got all of the ship upgrades except Elite Harpoon damage and Elite Fire Barrel storage, so I don't think those will make a difference. It's all about strategy. I've had some success using mortars until it turns around and attempts to ram, at which point I turn tail and toss out fire barrels while blasting it with more mortars. It always turns into a war of attrition, and I'm usually on the losing end. I've come close to sinking it, but I can't quite get there. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would have tried to platinum this if this bullshit uPlay isn't working on my PS4. My game is Asian, it works flawlessly on an Asian PSN Account, but I'm way too far on the SP and my main PSN is US so it wouldn't get the trophy as well. :/

I was so confused up until the reveal. "His" voice was so girly and I couldn't understand why they chose such a girly voiced person to play him. It was bothering me.

I knew she was a girl but just a teen or something. Her hair was a surprised to me though. lol

Enosh

the story is making me sad :(

"yay lets make a pirate republic and everyone is free and happy"
"fuck we are dying of sickness"
"the british came and took it back with some of my friends betraying the others"
"all my friends are dead, some of which i had to murder myself"

I mean I guess "pirates suck at running a country and pirate life sucks in general" is a lot more realistic than the usual romanticized view of them but it's still a downer

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Depends what system you are on. Most stuff on the Sony side is region locked, and that includes DLC especially. So be aware of that.

PS4. i know UK is region 2 just like holland so DLC should work but i was wondering about the upgrade plan. If i buy a uk version of ghost can i upgrade it from the dutch store or do i need to have an uk account
Calling the DLC/digital games region locked is a bit of a misnomer, it's more Country locked, which is way worse. Physical discs however are mostly universal. They all work on all machines but there are different region SKUs that only work with specific digital content from its own region/country.

I don't think there's any difference between UK/Dutch physical copies apart from potential box art localization blurbs. They're all manufactured in the same place, you should be fine.

shamanick

I'm confused about how to access the Sony exclusive content on the PS4. I bought the Freedom Cry DLC which is displaying where the Aveline sequences used to be. Does anyone know how to get the Aveline missions from another menu?

Codeblew

Anyone else not able to connect to UPLAY when accessing fleet on PS4?

Apparently if you have over 99 friends on PS4, UPLAY won't connect. I had to delete a couple of people to get it to work. Also, apparently all of the social chests, convoys and white whales don't work either.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Anyone have any tips for taking down El Impoluto? It's the last Legendary ship I need to take down...

Be aggressive right at the start. Ram it head on (twice if you are carrying enough speed). It will start to turn to run away. Then land a mortar, chain shot, another mortar and line up a heavy shot broadside in that order (the chain shot should stun and slow it down, otherwise hit with 2 chain shots in succession. And ALWAYS keep moving)

After that, chain shot and mortars from distance should chip away at it. When it retreats far away to ram you, repeat from above. Either make sure you ram it head on, or dodge at the last oment to hit it with heavy shot.

This game is pretty fantastic but I don't really understand why they introduce some of the things you can do in this game so late. Like how they introduce raiding forts after I had already taken all the ones not under "hard" difficulty. The Mayan stones are another example.

Also unless I'm mistaken the PS4 connection issues yesterday may have screwed me out of some trophies even though the game said that I got them. Oh well.

This game is pretty fantastic but I don't really understand why they introduce some of the things you can do in this game so late.

Yeah, I think I have soon done all assasination missions and I still don't have rope darts. I kind of wish they had switched them around with berserk darts, they are pretty overpowered.

Fletcher

Bought this game last night and am about 3 hours in. This game is fantastic and I never liked any of the previous AC game very much. They took just the right things from FarCry3 and mixed them up with the good parts of the AC formula and have created something awesome.

Very fun game so far.

NeoGiff

These community challenges are terrible. I didn't get any reward from the plunder ships one even though I did 16/15 and now they want 10 warehouses plundered? I don't think i've plundered that many during the entire game!

Yep, I had 24/15 and was quite annoyed at not really getting anything after going out of my way to contribute. Same, I'm pretty sure I haven't plundered that many in total yet.

Really wish you could get metal and wood from doing Kenway's Fleet. All the upgrades I have left for the Jackdaw require something like a total of 1500 metal and there is no way I want to grind for that.

SJRB

Gold Member
Really wish you could get metal and wood from doing Kenway's Fleet. All the upgrades I have left for the Jackdaw require something like a total of 1500 metal and there is no way I want to grind for that.

Be sure you have at least a two-star wanted level, pirate hunters will spawn pretty much every 5 minutes with the Brig usually carrying 85 to 100 units of metal. It will significantly reduce the grinding time because they spawn right on top of you, removing the time it takes to actually find a regular enemy ship carrying metal. So just sail around the southern part looking for frigates and man o wars with metal while fighting the super easy pirate hunters in the "downtime".

It will still take quite some time, but not nearly as much as just randomly sailing around.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Ah, thanks. I didn't think to ram it head-on. But when I move in the other direction, it always ends up catching me anyway. I'll give it a try.

Yeah, for a huge ship, it is crazy fast. You can't outrun it and it has the best ram in the game (you get the ram if you defeat the ship)

nubbe

100%
60 hours

yet I can't get platinum because social discoveries fucking sucks :|
Legendary ships is definitely the best part of the game, actual boss fights

SJRB

Gold Member
Bought the pc version of Assassin's Creed II yesterday, replaying it right now. I bought it because I was curious if my opinion of it was just rose-tinted nostalgia or that it actually was an amazing game.

It's pretty fascinating to replay this game after so many years, but having reached Venice it's obvious that ACII is lightyears better than ACIII and Black Flag. I might write an in-depth thread to compare the both of them, it's pretty surreal how far Black Flag drifted away from the core AC experience.

ACII is such an expertly crafted game, the pacing is godlike.

So I played through Havana, and I really was wondering what all the fuss was about. It seemed like another Assassin's Creed game.

Then I (super-early game spoilers)
stole a ship. Now I'm sailing around. Holy shit this is awesome.

Just got my PS4 a couple of days ago and decided to get this while I'm waiting for Knack and KZ:SF to ship.

Never was a big PS gamer so my friendlist is kinda empty. Since I'll need a couple of folks for the fleet missions, I thought I might as well ask here for people to add me... :p PSN ID is zerphet! Thanks!

Played quite a bit of the main missions already, but all the optional stuff to collect in combination with the huge world is making my head spin. :D
Still, I'm having a lot of fun, despite the usual AC annoyances. Seriously, I have played every single game in the series and still I manage to fall of builings/trees etc or simply missing jumps.
Ubisoft revamped the gameplay a bit but it's messy as always. :/ Anyway, sailing is fun! It looks good! So there's that!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
this game is a lot of fun if you ignore anything you don't find fun

any random land events, collectibles, optional objectives that don't seem fun are tossed by the wayside... really cuts the fat from the experience

Bought the pc version of Assassin's Creed II yesterday, replaying it right now. I bought it because I was curious if my opinion of it was just rose-tinted nostalgia or that it actually was an amazing game.

It's pretty fascinating to replay this game after so many years, but having reached Venice it's obvious that ACII is lightyears better than ACIII and Black Flag. I might write an in-depth thread to compare the both of them, it's pretty surreal how far Black Flag drifted away from the core AC experience.

ACII is such an expertly crafted game, the pacing is godlike.

couldn't disagree with you more

i found ac2 so uncompelling, with looser gameplay, uninteresting characters, and a lifeless world

if that's the core ac game, i'm glad we moved away from it

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
My apologies if that has been talked about already, but I can't use ANYTHING in the game (XB1) that requires connecting to the Ubisoft server. It always gives me the "can't connect to Ubi server" error which means no access to Uplay, any DLC, and stuck in limited mode for MP.

It's been like this since I got the game on launch. Any word on this?

Yeah, for a huge ship, it is crazy fast. You can't outrun it and it has the best ram in the game (you get the ram if you defeat the ship)

Finally sank it today, thanks a lot!

Only took two tries this time. It seems like it's still somewhat a matter of luck with this one, but it wasn't as difficult with the right strategies.

i found ac2 so uncompelling, with looser gameplay, uninteresting characters, and a lifeless world

if that's the core ac game, i'm glad we moved away from it

I didn't dislike ACII. But I've been enjoying AC games less and less with every new entry in the series. I was planning on skipping ACIV entirely when they announced it a year in advance. But then they went and made it awesome, so I had to buy it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do sticky notes and hackable computers show up on your Abstergo tablet automatically or do you have to find them first?

Sioen

So I bought the game again on ps4 after playing it at launch on 360 and damn those who say the graphics aren't much different. This looks alot better even if we ignore all the extra water and smoke effects thanks to the native 1080p.
Also got myself freedom cry which I really am liking atm.

So I bought the game again on ps4 after playing it at launch on 360 and damn those who say the graphics aren't much different. This looks alot better even if we ignore all the extra water and smoke effects thanks to the native 1080p.
Also got myself freedom cry which I really am liking atm.

Yeah, I think the difference is huge as well, especially the IQ and textures are very crisp. However, I think it's obvious that the game is rooted in last gen hardware but that's to be expected from a cross-gen game, I reckon.

Sioen

Yeah, I think the difference is huge as well, especially the IQ and textures are very crisp. However, I think it's obvious that the game is rooted in last gen hardware but that's to be expected from a cross-gen game, I reckon.
Yeah I actually thought the 360 version looked pretty good for the xbox 360. But this is just 10x better.

JawzPause

I'm really enjoying the game but fuck me how many tail and eavesdropping missions are there? Can't they think of any other missions besides following people around? It's really ruining the campaign for me.
It's a shame because the actual game is brilliant, but the campaign is weighing it down just like with ac3 (but not nearly as bad).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm really enjoying the game but fuck me how many tail and eavesdropping missions are there? Can't they think of any other missions besides following people around? It's really ruining the campaign for me.
It's a shame because the actual game is brilliant, but the campaign is weighing it down just like with ac3 (but not nearly as bad).

Worst part of the game. There's no end to them until you complete all story missions.

So I got the crocodile leather for the pistol holster IV but I haven't crafted the pistol holster III yet. Does it matter which order u craft them?

So I got the crocodile leather for the pistol holster IV but I haven't crafted the pistol holster III yet. Does it matter which order u craft them?

Nope.

I just finished the last assasination mission. Don't really feel like collecting all the chests, and there's at least one song sheet that I'm never going to get, so might as well finish the main missions next.

Errr Memory 9 Sequence 2 was so annoying. Every time I tried to meet the optional objective of the double assassination I'd get caught, so I'd run away, then somehow a brute would find me, throw a grenade and kill one of the people I was supposed to double assassinate. That, or a rifleman would shoot at me but somehow hit one of the double assassination targets.

I really don't want to replay this mission >:[

Vashetti

Banned
They still haven't patched the PS4 version to fix the uPlay/100 friends+ bug?

This is getting ridiculous. I have so many friend requests I can't accept because it will break the game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm late, how was Freedom Cry? Essential?

Top Bottom