• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm late, how was Freedom Cry? Essential?

Not at all. Initial positive response got dampened by the incredibly small "city" and the extreme in-your-face slavery theme. Even though it feels great liberating slaves the first 30 minutes, you quickly realise how absurd it is with slaves respawning almost instantly after you liberated them which makes the task feel pointless. Not to mention it's everywhere you look - slaves in cages, slaves getting a beating, slaves being waterboarded, slaves running on rooftops in full freerunning mode trying to escape. It's absurd.

Ubi is as subtle as a brick to the face, the amount of slaves rescued is actually the ingame "currency" by which you unlock weapons and equipment.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not at all. Initial positive response got dampened by the incredibly small "city" and the extreme in-your-face slavery theme. Even though it feels great liberating slaves the first 30 minutes, you quickly realise how absurd it is with slaves respawning almost instantly after you liberated them which makes the task feel pointless. Not to mention it's everywhere you look - slaves in cages, slaves getting a beating, slaves being waterboarded, slaves running on rooftops in full freerunning mode trying to escape. It's absurd.

Ubi is as subtle as a brick to the face, the amount of slaves rescued is actually the ingame "currency" by which you unlock weapons and equipment.
Hey, thanks. Has there ever been a truly great DLC module for an AC game? That Washington one for 3 looked interesting.

phinious

Any time I try to fast travel, it tells me fast travel (unavailable). At what point does it become available? Ive been playing for like 10 hours....

Radec

Any time I try to fast travel, it tells me fast travel (unavailable). At what point does it become available? Ive been playing for like 10 hours....

From what I've experienced during yellow and red alert you won't be able to. Then most of the time during a mission. I just fast travel when going to the next main mission, works everytime.

phinious

From what I've experienced during yellow and red alert you won't be able to. Then most of the time during a mission. I just fast travel when going to the next main mission, works everytime.

Thank you, turns out I was in a mission and it wouldn't let me. I didn't have any alerts and they don't explain why its unavailable. Was so frustrated. Thanks again!

Nemesis_

Anyone had problems downloading Freedom's Cry on their Xbox One?

It's downloaded, it seems to get to 100% on the install progress, then it just stops and says INSTALLATION STOPPED. Going to Games & Apps, there is an exclamation mark and I try to open it and it says "this isn't available, try finding it through the store".

Tried installing / downloading from both inside AC4 and on the Store. Any ideas? :(

I'm on Sequence 12 now...Man, I really hoped the campaign missions would get better :( Some of the side stuff I've been doing was often more interesting or fun than the main scenarios.
There's sooo much potential in the pirate genre and I don't feel like this game takes advantage of it at all. I just hope Ubi will take what they've learned with Black Flag and flesh it out into a standalone pirate game (or even another AC with pirate focus, though that would be difficult to pull of story wise?).

It's baffling that there are only English and Spanish ships (outside of missions). It would make the game world a lot more interesting if there were also French, Dutch and Portuguese ships, like Pirates! had. And more different sized ships. And more forts you could take over. Maybe even whole towns. So there's a lot more how piracy aspect can be improved, but I'd rather see a the game without all this assassins vs. Templars bullcrap. For AC it's time to move on from this time period, I think.

It's baffling that there are only English and Spanish ships (outside of missions). It would make the game world a lot more interesting if there were also French, Dutch and Portuguese ships, like Pirates! had. And more different sized ships. And more forts you could take over. Maybe even whole towns. So there's a lot more how piracy aspect can be improved, but I'd rather see a the game without all this assassins vs. Templars bullcrap. For AC it's time to move on from this time period, I think.

Yep, those are pretty much my feelings as well. There's so much left undone that comes immediately to mind when imagining a full-fledged pirate sandbox game. In the end, I think AC:IV feels like exactly what it is: A pirate-themed AC game. Nothing more, nothing less ^^

Pyrrhus

85% and no white whales here. Royal convoys are dime a dozen tho...

I got my three white whales and tons of community chests, but haven't seen any community Royal Convoys. I haven't seen anything community in weeks, actually. Does anyone know how this stuff is spawned?

nubbe

Social discoveries seem to be completely broken
I have 70 Uplay friends and 20 PSN friends just for Back Flag :p
I have never had a shared discovery and they are extremely rare
70 hours now and I just got my first Royal Convoy

Pyrrhus

Sid Meier's Pirates! takes place starting in the 1670s, where as AC4 starts in 1715 and runs to 1721. I think the Dutch and Portuguese had already been run out by the English, Spanish, and French at this point.

zlatko

Banned
I"m still in the way early parts of the game since I don't have much time to play, but enjoying it thus far.

I doubt I'll go for the 100%, and instead just try to wrap up the game in 25-40 hours with some side stuff tracking down.

I only hope the next AC game is finally going to be in a Samurai setting. It's long overdue and would be their chance to really kick the fighting mechanics and system into overdrive. Mashing on square and circle a fun combat system does not make. :/

This game has defiantly scratched my open world itch that GTA could not. I love this game and with my schedule, hopefully keep my busy til March when Infamous:SS comes out.

Lizardus

FVteV9t.jpg

Ughh, does anyone else have this problem? I am not able to add the boarded ships to my fleet. I can only repair Jackdaw or reduce my notoriety. I am connected to the internet and the map in the middle of my cabin isn't highlighted. I just finished
Sequence 3, Memory 5 for what it's worth
and using MSE for antivirus.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ughh, does anyone else have this problem? I am not able to add the boarded ships to my fleet. I can only repair Jackdaw or reduce my notoriety. I am connected to the internet and the map in the middle of my cabin isn't highlighted. I just finished

It unlocks at a certain point during the story, it's not available from the start. Keep playing, you're nearly there.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Hey guys, I wanted to see if anyone's having the same problem that I am.

I'm about 20% through the story, and I've unwittingly sailed into a legendary ship battle. The Jackdaw is underpowered and I cannot defeat the legendary, but I can't find a way to quit out of the event. If I restart the memory, OR reload last checkpoint, it just dumps me back at the start of the event. If I quit and go wandering around the office then log back into the Animus - back at the start of the event again.

Any ideas? Is this a bug?

exYle

I'm about 20% through the story, and I've unwittingly sailed into a legendary ship battle. The Jackdaw is underpowered and I cannot defeat the legendary, but I can't find a way to quit out of the event. If I restart the memory, OR reload last checkpoint, it just dumps me back at the start of the event. If I quit and go wandering around the office then log back into the Animus - back at the start of the event again.

I think you can just sail away.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Just went and picked this up tonight. Quick questions about Uplay.

I'd rather not activate this uplay passport thing. Am I going to be missing out on anything substantial from the single player game on PS4 by not activating it? What is 'the full single player connected experience"?

I have zero interest in multiplayer and will likely sell this after I complete it so that is why I'd rather not redeem anything. Is it possible for me to complete the game and leave the uplay pass intact?

zlatko

Banned
Anyone actively play the MP to this?

I did one match and got first place, but it all seemed so well...luck based to an extent.

Does it get better or is it just random silly fun and not much skill based ?

Been playing my sister's copy of this, quite a fun game, albeit riddled with flaws and moronic game design (Animus fragments, main missions, useless cove). I think one of the high points, surprisingly, has been the first Templar Hunt, which is pretty easy yet actually offers a variety of tasks that take advantage of what I've been doing so far. Fast hunting, cove intrusion, and ambushing Señorita Marquez was well put together for a side mission, though the writing's blunt as ever and it shouldn't be this easy at all. I'm feeling the need for more James Kidd now, since I figure she's going to be the most interesting character of all.

Aside from this, pirating never gets old, at least now that I'm making buck with the fleet and finding myself in increasingly ridiculous scenarios at sea. So many man 'o' wars! and gunboats galore. Time for me to save up for mortars! Also, since I've never given AC much time before, the assassination game feels good enough for me, though it's definitely too simple to last past this playthrough. Contracts at least give me some room to experiment, and I think guarded chests are a much better idea than simply laying them about. The world design basically forces me to use viewpoints and the hud because everything's so cluttered and obscured by weather, but oh well.

nubbe

Listen to Enya's wisdom

Nugg

How many Kenways Fleet missions are there? I really want the guns for doing all missions but I feel like I've been repeating the same ones.

I believe the missions with a "!" are the one you haven't done yet.

Wait for
Sequence 4 Memory 1

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just went and picked this up tonight. Quick questions about Uplay.

I'd rather not activate this uplay passport thing. Am I going to be missing out on anything substantial from the single player game on PS4 by not activating it? What is 'the full single player connected experience"?

I have zero interest in multiplayer and will likely sell this after I complete it so that is why I'd rather not redeem anything. Is it possible for me to complete the game and leave the uplay pass intact?
I think it gives you the Aveline missions, if you want to play those. I'd double check though.

Nugg

If anyone wants to add me on PS4, my PSN ID is PinGun. I believe we can help each other finding stuff like white whales or royal convoys.

Pyrrhus

I think it gives you the Aveline missions, if you want to play those. I'd double check though.

The Aveline missions suck. I played through them the other night and they reuse AC3 and AC4 elements almost exclusively (the soldiers even scream "Stop him!"). Aveline doesn't even have her bullwhip and they try to pretend the machete is her signature tool because it's a lot easier to just paste in her kill animations for that and otherwise treat it just like a standard AC4 sword.

Obvious corner cutting in presentation aside, the levels are not well designed. In particular, the lighting in the tower section was poor and served to make the level and pathfinding in general more confusing. A little hiding in bushes and shanking mooks when they're not looking, a little bit of swinging, a little bit of chasing, and you're done. No real story payoff or connection to AC4's story or any other plotline that I can tell.

Also, a giant, crumbling underground stone catacomb that connects to a giant, crumbling stone tower in Virginia in the 1770s? How the hell is this Prince of Persia set piece historically plausible? I can easily buy the idea of a bunch of disused and forgotten tunnels beneath Rome, but that doesn't hold true for a relatively undeveloped place like the American colonies. It just seemed immediately out of place.

I think they just stuck the result of a training exercise for the Shanghai B team onto the disc.

skybald

Finally have the Fleet stuff figured out and I find it just as fun as the game because it boils down the pointless fetching to a core of just clicking instead of traveling insane distances to do one simple thing.

So do I need to have friends who play AC4 to get 100% completion?

nubbe

Finally have the Fleet stuff figured out and I find it just as fun as the game because it boils down the pointless fetching to a core of just clicking instead of traveling insane distances to do one simple thing.

So do I need to have friends who play AC4 to get 100% completion?

No, but it helps to save time to have friends.
add friends on uplay if you plan to buy future ubisoft games since they probably will feature the same broken community stuff

So I'm 80% done, and havent started Memory 10 yet. The only "extra" things left are a few fleet missions, getting all the treasure map chests then decking out my ship. And of course the legendary ships.

Fun stuff!

I believe the missions with a "!" are the one you haven't done yet.

Sweet thanks!

Nemesis_

What is this discovery shit and how do I pull it off? Seeing a white whale? A community chest?

I don't get it and I've been playing for upward of 30 hours T_T

Grisby

Finished this the other night. I was surprised at how melancholy the endgame felt. I rather liked the ending and the credits were a nice change from the usual Ubi stuff.

I'm kind of pissed that in order to get the last ship upgrade plan it looks like you have to do that fleet mini game deal, bah.
The Aveline missions suck. I played through them the other night and they reuse AC3 and AC4 elements almost exclusively (the soldiers even scream "Stop him!"). Aveline doesn't even have her bullwhip and they try to pretend the machete is her signature tool because it's a lot easier to just paste in her kill animations for that and otherwise treat it just like a standard AC4 sword.

Obvious corner cutting in presentation aside, the levels are not well designed. In particular, the lighting in the tower section was poor and served to make the level and pathfinding in general more confusing. A little hiding in bushes and shanking mooks when they're not looking, a little bit of swinging, a little bit of chasing, and you're done. No real story payoff or connection to AC4's story or any other plotline that I can tell.

Also, a giant, crumbling underground stone catacomb that connects to a giant, crumbling stone tower in Virginia in the 1770s? How the hell is this Prince of Persia set piece historically plausible? I can easily buy the idea of a bunch of disused and forgotten tunnels beneath Rome, but that doesn't hold true for a relatively undeveloped place like the American colonies. It just seemed immediately out of place.

I think they just stuck the result of a training exercise for the Shanghai B team onto the disc.
Well, g;ad I did wait until I got my ps4 to play the game (which I was considering because of the Aveline stuff). Shame it doesn't sound so hot. I was kind of pleased that you get a lot of her in the Animus stuff in AC4. Good to see she wasn't forgotten.

They even made a funny quip about 'spending too much time in the bayou.'

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I've finished the game!
I felt as if the meta story did not progress at all, with the exception of the tiny part everyone knows.

The story of Edward was good nonetheless, not to mention sad. I'm almost sure that Rogers was the one to kill Edward and teach Haytham into the Templars.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I've been playing this for nearly 17 hours now and have yet to run into any of these community events, is there something I'm missing or does it just not work?

Acorn

All these collectibles for shitty cheats that don't save progress lol

I usually do these crappy collectathon If there is a cool Item, but this is ridiculous.

Top Bottom