• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

krioto

I picked this up for Christmas and have been pleasantly surprised - last AC game was 2.

Whoever the person/persons at Ubisoft who came up with the shanty singing crew members idea should be given a medal.

I'm at around 40% from over 40 hours gameplay - I only just got the
diving bell
- been too busy being a pirate!

MrBS

Finally after 3 hours of trying I beat the last legendary ship. I went through a couple Nic Cage movies trying to achieve this. In the end I was listening to the Revengeance OST. Rules of nature kicked in and I beat the damn thing. Coincidence? I think not.

Finally after 3 hours of trying I beat the last legendary ship. I went through a couple Nic Cage movies trying to achieve this. In the end I was listening to the Revengeance OST. Rules of nature kicked in and I beat the damn thing. Coincidence? I think not.

Haha, awesome :D haven't beaten a single one yet... But I also don't really plan to fully upgrade the Jackdaw. I don't see the payoff in doing most of the side missions (the Templar hunts were mostly fun though).

I'm gonna try out the multiplayer later today, we'll see how that goes. I thought AC3's was fun but I got the game on Wii U so I very rarely found other players.

Gah, I cannot complete my ship to 100% because I am unable to get the Elite Firebarrel storage. Does anyone know why? I'm about 98% of everything in the entire game done (every thing is yellowed out) and I completed the entire story and every side mission.

I'm thinking it has something to do with Uplay... since I have over 100 friends and unable to connect to uplay anymore.

Anyone got ANY idea? :(

Finished this the other night. I was surprised at how melancholy the endgame felt. I rather liked the ending and the credits were a nice change from the usual Ubi stuff.

I'm kind of pissed that in order to get the last ship upgrade plan it looks like you have to do that fleet mini game deal, bah.
Well, g;ad I did wait until I got my ps4 to play the game (which I was considering because of the Aveline stuff). Shame it doesn't sound so hot. I was kind of pleased that you get a lot of her in the Animus stuff in AC4. Good to see she wasn't forgotten.

They even made a funny quip about 'spending too much time in the bayou.'

Ahhh shit. I see what you are saying... have to do a fleet mission to get the fire-barrels huh? Well crap. I don't want to delete a lot of friends just to do that.

Radec

^
I think thats the only way.

A gaffer(from the previous pages) is like 99% sync and only missing that upgrade plan from the Fleet missions.

Pyrrhus

Well, I've finished the game!
I felt as if the meta story did not progress at all, with the exception of the tiny part everyone knows.

The story of Edward was good nonetheless, not to mention sad. I'm almost sure that Rogers was the one to kill Edward and teach Haytham into the Templars.

Not so.
Woodes Rogers died after a period of extended illness in 1732, three year before Edward died. After Edward's first (and I guess only) assassination attempt, Woodes had several years down and out after surviving his wounds and returning to England bankrupt (from spending his personal fortune trying to improve Nassau).

According to the postgame animus database, Rogers was expelled from the Templars for continuing to sell slaves to try to regain his fortune in this period. In terms of actual history, he spent a couple of years in debtors prison in England before his creditors released him out of pity. Then, in 1723, he was approached by a writer to provide information for a book called A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates. The book was published in 1724 and lionized Rogers and his efforts in his term as Governor to curb piracy in the Bahamas. It was pretty wildly popular and as a result, King George I granted Rogers a nice pension in 1728, retroactive all the way to 1721, and sent him back to the Bahamas for another term as governor, which is where he died, three years later in 1732. This is historical fact and the game swerves to dovetail into it.

Interestingly, A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates was almost certainly one of Ubisoft's primary texts used to write the story. It has some of the earliest accounts of Blackbeard, Calico Jack, Stede Bonnet, Anne Bonny, and others.

It was actually
Edward's business partner and secret Templar Reginald Birch who planned his death and stole his children. This is all apparently in the novel, not the game. Jenny is apparently sold into slavery and then spends half her life as a sex slave/Turkish concubine as a result. Haytham eventually tracks her down, frees her, and kills Birch, but for some reason doesn't leave the Templar Order.
Kind of dark, yeah?

lol WOW didn't realize you could just pay $2 to unlock all the upgrade plans.

fuuuck why didn't you tell me earlier ubisoft.

pretty sure i got a few gray hairs from doing this diving garbage.

Ilúvatar

Well, I've finished the game!
I felt as if the meta story did not progress at all, with the exception of the tiny part everyone knows.

I'm about halfway through the game now, and am really enjoying the present day portion. Just got to the bit about the shareholder meeting, which I thought was pretty humorous.

Liamc723

Does anyone know of a definite way of finding the community events for the trophy? I've finished the game with around 25 hours of playtime and I haven't encountered any at all!

Just curious what people that actually know the story well think/know, based on the last templar/assassin mission.
you end up having to kill the brothers chinese wife and she explains that her real husband was the one to have the full map and was more man than any of them. Did anything come up with that? Was the map to just get the key? Or could that be a hint for the next AC game? Which is rumored to be in the Asian areas.

Radec

Do you really need to fully upgrade the Jackdaw to fight evenly with the legendary ships?

I only maxed out my mortar, the rest are missing those elite plans. getting lazy diving.

witness

Destroyed 3 Legendaries yesterday after getting all of my main elite upgrades except heavy shot (which I got after). Felt so good and intense. I had elite mortars, cannons, hull, maxed out round shot, and battering ram. Once I got the hull, the last one I got out of those, it put me over the top and able to sink them. Also the ship looks fanrastic with metal armor all over it. I still need to complete the one at the top right, I have elite heavy shot now so hopefully I can do it. A tried a couple of times before I got that and managed to sink one and get the other to 50%.

I'm on sequence 10 of the story so far (30 some odd hours in), I'm going to be sad when this one ends. Should I play Freedom Cry after the story or does it not matter? I will probably end up playing through the game again, by far my favorite PS4 launch title.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
took me 70 hours to get 4 of them

Damn, I mean I'm sure I will be playing for quite a while to do everything and get my platinum in the end, but 70 hours for just that seems like a pain. Do they just not work properly then? I googled and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with your actual friends playing just the general community and something on Ubisofts side.

Finally beat the game, got 100% sync, and the defeated two legendary ships. I just need to defeat the two legendary ships in the North-East and the one in the North-West. Once I do that its 100% game completion! The first time I 100%'ed something since ACII.

Then its off to get the multiplayer trophies. The shared discovery trophy is going to kill me because I don't have any friends on PSN(PS4) who are playing this...grrrr!

WorldStar

Banned
Debating whether to pick this up since Amazon has it on sale for Wii U

I've beat AC 1, 2, brotherhood

gave up on revelations about half way through

never played 3

how different is this from the other AC titles? Because the Ezio trilogy kinda burned me the fuck out...looking for something pretty much totally new

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Then its off to get the multiplayer trophies. The shared discovery trophy is going to kill me because I don't have any friends on PSN(PS4) who are playing this...grrrr!

You don't need people on your friends list for it, since my post earlier about not coming across any of them I went off to PS3Trophies.org and their topic for PS4 Shared Discoveries, I've gone to some peoples posted co-ordinates and so far shared two white whales and two convoys in the last three hours or so, with only the chest left to share for the trophy now.

I'd make sure to do what they advise in the first post, that being to jump into multiplayer and then back into single player, I wasn't finding anything at posted co-ords till I did that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Have you figured out the New Bone... "hack"? There's a village in a southern island called New Bone that always spawns a level 90 man of war in the dock, as long as you haven't liberated the fort in the area (which I didn't know about, so I liberated it and now I can't get free man of wars anymore =(

Basically what you do is, get the eagle eye spawn location in New Bone. Spawn there, jump down, go to the dock and stealthily board the Man of War in dock. Kill all the soldiers by hand (without activating your own ship). Rip the flag off the top. Then go back to your ship that's 10 meters away in dock, fire 1 shot of cannons off the side, the Man of War will instantly go into a "board" state. Board and insta-capture it. Win.

Too bad I was only able to do this twice before I liberated the fort that controls New Bone. Once you liberate the fort, the Man of War no longer spawns because it's not a restricted zone anymore. I wish I could un-liberate a fort ;.;

I thought I'd come back to this... I finally got back to my game and fired it up. So New Bone's fort is not liberated, but every time I spawn at the Eagle Eye location on New Bone, my ship is at the dock and not the Man of War. Did a patch fix this glitch?

Jito

Banned
So I've run into a game breaking crash on the PC version. Start of the mission "Trust is earned", I start sailing towards the enemy ships and the game just stops, AC4SP.exe has stopped responding yada yada.

Looks well known on the official forums but absolutely no response from Ubisoft. How the hell does a crash like that in the main story missions get past any proper testing?

I'll probably never finish this then seeing as it has stopped all game progress and I'll have lost interest in the story if it's not fixed soon. Even more annoyed seeing as this is the first AC I actually enjoy. GG Ubisoft.

I had this 3 times in a row last week, got past it by sailing all the way to the left and going forward from there. If that doesn't do it, I also repaired my files in uplay at around the same time, though that didn't seem to do return that there was anything to fix.

Jito

Banned
I had this 3 times in a row last week, got past it by sailing all the way to the left and going forward from there. If that doesn't do it, I also repaired my files in uplay at around the same time, though that didn't seem to do return that there was anything to fix.

Sad to report that this has only made things worse, the game now crashes on the loading screen. How on earth sailing further to the left has broken the game more is beyond me. I'm just going to stop trying to fix it as I'm now worried about my save file.

Damn, I read there were save issues if you stopped and destroyed the ships without moving on, hope it gets sorted so you can continue, it's crazy how broken that bit section is.

_Isaac

This game is surprisingly challenging. Well the boat parts are hard. It's practically turn based combat, and it just feels so slow. I keep having to grind, to level up my boat to the appropriate level.

Go for the Wii U version, it's miles better than PS3 version simply due to the controller. The framerate can be bad at times, but it's never unplayable, and keeping your characters costume light seems to help somewhat. And look better than than those silly looking heavy assassin robes.

This game is surprisingly challenging. Well the boat parts are hard. It's practically turn based combat, and it just feels so slow. I keep having to grind, to level up my boat to the appropriate level.

It's all nice and slow until your enemy starts shooting volley after volley at you without having to reload in between. I first thought it was a bug, but looks like high level frigates and man-o-wars have this ability...

Ok first off I just finally got around to playing this on my Playstation 4. I must say, the game is really meh for the first hour or two, but once you get into pirating it's really, really a blast. Some of the most fun I had in gaming in a long time. This game truly makes you feel like you're a pirate plundering and raiding, it's fantastic.

However! Why do they insist on putting us in this futuristic meta story bullcrap. I just finished a mission where
I assassinated one of the first templar targets and stole that huge ship.
The moment I'm done with that mission they pop you out of being an awesome pirate, taking you out of the entire experience. Now you're back in the futuristic world where you have to go hack some stupid file, and walk around like a dick for 20 minutes.
By the time I'm back into pirate world, I'm completely out of the experience.

I wish I could rate the future sections, because they suck. Get rid of these crap, save it for watchdogs.

Radec

The ship battles are pretty easy if you progress further into the story mode and gain ship upgrades. Fleet missions also give lots of reales mid game. Just upgrade mortar and armor early on and you'll be fine. Some Forts are a bitch though. Especially the one with the hurricanes.

Especially the one with the hurricanes.

I died once when attacked with a group of frigates during this battle, and couldn't get away in time, but upon replaying it was just me against the fort. Not too hard that time. I wonder if the game does this on purpose, I mean makes the second try easier?

Radec

I died once when attacked with a group of frigates during this battle, and couldn't get away in time, but upon replaying it was just me against the fort. Not too hard that time. I wonder if the game does this on purpose, I mean makes the second try easier?

There's a fort where when you attack it a storm suddenly comes and throws hurricanes at you. I died like 5 times when I took that early game. lol

There's a fort where when you attack it a storm suddenly comes and throws hurricanes at you. I died like 5 times when I took that early game. lol

Yeah, I remember that fort :) I took the easier forts out first, so I was pretty well prepared, but even then the storms and enemy ships killed me first.

monome

arghhhh..

can't figure out if I get this game or Dead Rising 3 for my X1...

if the game had krakens, stealing the virginity of the guv's daughter, ghosts ships etc...

Carbonox

Decided to return to the game to finish off the Platinum. Thank God there is a double XP weekend this weekend so that I can speed through the last 20 levels on multiplayer. Then I just have to 100% sync a bunch of single player missions I didn't 100%.

I'm so happy that Ubisoft embraced the silly, dumb, gamey elements in AC4, especially the real-world portions. I was practically slow-clapping at
the email chain you uncover on Olivier's computer after playing Frogger to hack the system.

Lima

Go for the Wii U version, it's miles better than PS3 version simply due to the controller. The framerate can be bad at times, but it's never unplayable, and keeping your characters costume light seems to help somewhat. And look better than than those silly looking heavy assassin robes.

This is a real post.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Grinding metal still sucks.

The fact that I just get fucking destroyed by those damned Frigate Hunters doesn't help either.

Liamc723

The last ship upgrade I need is the Elite Fire Barrel Strorage, but I can't unlock it. I've found the treasure it's contained in, and I've completed the Kenway Fleet mission which supposedly gives you the treasure map for it, yet it still remains locked for me.

Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong here?

zlatko

Banned
I asked earlier, but no one replied:

Anyone an avid MP person with this game? It feels slightly random to me, and was curious if there is skill involved to it, or if it's more or less luck and just random fun to be had.

What's the opinion on the co-op portion?

Also, does anyone play a lot of it on PS4 ?

Lorien

Banned
I completed a shipwreck site (turned it yellow) but when I hover over the icon is still says "contains an upgrade plan". It's for the elite ram. I only have the second ram upgrade, will the plan show up once I've upgraded the ram all the way?

Wasp

For the last 3 or 4 days I've been trying trying to access my fleet in the game but when I try to open the fleet menu (or the leaderboards or compare stats with friends) it tries to connect then I keep getting a message saying I failed to connect to Ubisoft's servers and to visit the website for help. I've been trying 4 or 5 times every day and it's always the same. It used to work fine before Christmas. Multiplayer stills works fine and so does the official app.

I know it's going to do it when I'm on the main menu and the 'connecting to Ubisoft servers' takes well over a minute to disappear before I can start the game.

Anyone else getting this message?

I guess it's time to phone my ISP and demand my migration code.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
For the last 3 or 4 days I've been trying trying to access my fleet in the game but when I try to open the fleet menu (or the leaderboards or compare stats with friends) it tries to connect then I keep getting a message saying I failed to connect to Ubisoft's servers and to visit the website for help. I've been trying 4 or 5 times every day and it's always the same. It used to work fine before Christmas. Multiplayer stills works fine and so does the official app.

I know it's going to do it when I'm on the main menu and the 'connecting to Ubisoft servers' takes well over a minute to disappear before I can start the game.

Anyway else getting this message?

I guess it's time to phone my ISP and demand my migration code.
I have this as well. I guess the servers are crowded.

Anyone know how I get the Blackbeard DLC? It never shows in the available DLC list.

I asked earlier, but no one replied:

Anyone an avid MP person with this game? It feels slightly random to me, and was curious if there is skill involved to it, or if it's more or less luck and just random fun to be had.

What's the opinion on the co-op portion?

Also, does anyone play a lot of it on PS4 ?

I play a lot on PS4, but I mainly do private Wolfpack to grind so I can get the Trophies for level 55 and using all weapons. I did a public match for the Gamelab Trophy or whatever its called and I hated it. I really don't like playing with others haha. Its not particularly fun to be honest, but thats just my opinion.

I guess I'll need to do a few public matches though to get the Trophy for playing every game mode.

Carbonox

Anyone know how I get the Blackbeard DLC? It never shows in the available DLC list.

I play a lot on PS4, but I mainly do private Wolfpack to grind so I can get the Trophies for level 55 and using all weapons. I did a public match for the Gamelab Trophy or whatever its called and I hated it. I really don't like playing with others haha. Its not particularly fun to be honest, but thats just my opinion.

I guess I'll need to do a few public matches though to get the Trophy for playing every game mode.

Yeah the only times I played with others was for the trophy. Otherwise I stick to private Wolfpack mode. AC multiplayer just isn't enjoyable for me really. I want to Platinum this game though and have 16 levels left to get that damn 55 trophy. Fortunately, as I mentioned earlier there will be a double XP weekend this weekend.

Top Bottom