• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

zlatko

Banned
Ah okay. Yeah the fun I had was with private wolf pack last night.

I doubt I'll platinum the game, but I do like the stuff they have going on for the MP component of the game as far as the unlocks and such.

Loving this game though. May be my favorite of 2013. :)

I haven't been on since I beat the story 3+ weeks ago since Ubisoft doesn't work for me.I have too many friends... Anyways. If I want to play the DLC is it worth getting the season pass or just buying the dlc itself.

FluxWaveZ

Just finished it. Wasn't expecting it, but I actually came to really enjoy Kenway's story and he actually has a great character arc.

It's interesting how it all starts off with Kenway just wanting to have a fun time doing crazy pirate stuff with his crazy pirate friends, but then the people closest to him start dying and betraying him and things aren't so merry anymore. He starts off not really caring for the Assassin's creed, but through his experience he comes to find something truly worth fighting for. It was actually touching when there's moment of bonding with his daughter on the ship and we find out that his wife, the reason that he had gone on this adventure, had passed away.

This is probably the first AC game where the modern sections weren't nearly as compelling for me as the historical character ones; I guess replacing Desmond by a faceless avatar contributed a lot to that. I did like how things were based in a certain reality this time with the player helping to develop an actual video game.

ACIV had two of my favorite scenes in the series:
The first is right after the mission where Roberts betrays Kenway in The Observatory, I believe, where Edward goes nuts and hallucinates scenes where he's being berated by people he was close to while steering the Jackdaw in a storm and killing imaginary Roberts's while someone recounts a pitiful story about a jackdaw. The second is the last moment of one of the final scenes, where Edward sees his old, dead pirate buddies drinking around a table while Anne sings.

All in all a great game as a whole, even though many individual missions were still terrible. I'd like to say I'm looking forward to ACV, but I'll temper my excitement since I haven't forgotten ACIII.

Codeblew

For the last 3 or 4 days I've been trying trying to access my fleet in the game but when I try to open the fleet menu (or the leaderboards or compare stats with friends) it tries to connect then I keep getting a message saying I failed to connect to Ubisoft's servers and to visit the website for help. I've been trying 4 or 5 times every day and it's always the same. It used to work fine before Christmas. Multiplayer stills works fine and so does the official app.

I know it's going to do it when I'm on the main menu and the 'connecting to Ubisoft servers' takes well over a minute to disappear before I can start the game.

Anyone else getting this message?

I guess it's time to phone my ISP and demand my migration code.

PS4 version? If so, do you have over 99 friends? If so, you have to delete some to get it to work. That is what I had to do.

ACIV had two of my favorite scenes in the series:
The first is right after the mission where Roberts betrays Kenway in The Observatory, I believe, where Edward goes nuts and hallucinates scenes where he's being berated by people he was close to while steering the Jackdaw in a storm and killing imaginary Roberts's while someone recounts a pitiful story about a jackdaw. The second is the last moment of one of the final scenes, where Edward sees his old, dead pirate buddies drinking around a table while Anne sings.

I really love the second one. Gave me some feels.

You don't need people on your friends list for it, since my post earlier about not coming across any of them I went off to PS3Trophies.org and their topic for PS4 Shared Discoveries, I've gone to some peoples posted co-ordinates and so far shared two white whales and two convoys in the last three hours or so, with only the chest left to share for the trophy now.

I'd make sure to do what they advise in the first post, that being to jump into multiplayer and then back into single player, I wasn't finding anything at posted co-ords till I did that.

Thanks, worked like a charm got the Trophy :)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just started playing this game on Wii U, only played 15 minutes so far, but... is the framerate always that bad? I feel like its under 30 FPS most of the time.

Wasp

PS4 version? If so, do you have over 99 friends? If so, you have to delete some to get it to work. That is what I had to do.
Now that you mention it I started having these issues the day when I passed 99 friends.

Ironically I added a shit load of friends because I thought it would increase the chances of getting a social chest, white whale or royal convoy to appear (played the game for 53 hours and haven't seen one of any).

There is Blackbeard DLC? I want this now.

And is there ANY word on a fix for the PS4 100+ friends bug? I don't want to delete a bunch of people just to get a trophy...

jey_16

Banned
As someone who loved AC1 & AC2 but couldn't play AC3 for more then a few hours with out discarding it, should I buy this? Really need a new game for my PS4 and I'm hoping this is a bit more like the older games

Codeblew

I didn't really like AC2 and didn't play AC3. I am glad I bought this though. It starts out a bit slow for the first couple of hours but once you can start pirating, it gets to be a blast.

As someone who loved AC1 & AC2 but couldn't play AC3 for more then a few hours with out discarding it, should I buy this? Really need a new game for my PS4 and I'm hoping this is a bit more like the older games

I've only played 1, 2 and this. Thought 1 was pretty bad, 2 was so-so, but I really like 4. It's worth a shot.

WorldStar

Banned
Then get it for PS3. The framerate there is already bad in most of the bigger towns, the WiiU tanks there and has dips to under 20.

Go for the Wii U version, it's miles better than PS3 version simply due to the controller. The framerate can be bad at times, but it's never unplayable, and keeping your characters costume light seems to help somewhat. And look better than than those silly looking heavy assassin robes.

what do...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just put in an hour. I don't understand. The combat was mindless: I created a pile of dead bodies without taking a scratch. I was unarmed and the enemies never stopped spawning. I'm still tailing people -- now with absurd 'push subject to top layer' sight ability! Moving around the world requires little to no meaningful input from me.

SJRB

Gold Member
what do...

Are you serious? Did you even see what the WiiU guy recommends? "Keep your costume light helps framerate", which means you shouldn't wear the default outfit or upgrade your stuff. What the hell kind of recommendation is that?

Here's a tidbit from Digital Foundry's Face Off:

The Wii U version consistently falls 6-10fps behind the 360 and PS3 releases, resulting in a jerky, often uneven update and a profound, unsatisfying reduction in controller response. Combined with the GamePad's twitchy analogue sticks, the low frame-rate makes frantically running across rooftops and chasing down targets a frustrating affair, the net result being that we'd often have to repeat some missions multiple times - something that wasn't much of a problem on 360, and with no issues at all when playing at 60fps on the PC version of the game.
[source]

Here is a video comparison that might actually be helpful to you.

The PS3 version is better.

Rivver

Banned
Yeah the only times I played with others was for the trophy. Otherwise I stick to private Wolfpack mode. AC multiplayer just isn't enjoyable for me really. I want to Platinum this game though and have 16 levels left to get that damn 55 trophy. Fortunately, as I mentioned earlier there will be a double XP weekend this weekend.

They certainly advertised a double XP weekend. Unfortunately, nobody is actually getting double XP.

Rivver

Banned
Whats the estimated time needed to get to level 55, providing your half decent?

Maybe 15 hours, give or take. The quickest strategy, that I've found, is playing Wolfpack sessions which is described here (more information can be found at the link).

Here are a few tips for people to get the most out of their Wolfpack sessions. With a bit of practice, you should have at least 4 minutes left on the clock when you finish round 25. Without online bonuses working I was making 42,000-43,000 points per round, which I think translates to a little over 6,500XP per round. If you top it off with the 25% bonus you can buy from Abstergo store (called Abstergo VIP or something like that, in multiplayer menu), you'll have over 8,000XP. I believe you need 525,000XP for level 55, so you'll need to play about 60 games. You can play approximately 4.5 games per hour, so you're looking at approximately 13 hours of play.

Rivver

Banned
I haven't played MP since Wednesday, but I was getting double xp then.

I got some my first few matches on Friday then it stopped. Played a match before I made that post and didn't get any. Just now played a match and didn't get any.

Rivver

Banned
Wait so is the Blackbeard DLC out yet? I dont see it anywhere.

I don't know which console you have/are playing on, but it shows up under "Related Items" on the PS4.

5piyqbu.jpg

Carbonox

So not only did Ubi-Soft not deliver on the double XP today for multiplayer but their servers and website are also down. :lol

sigh

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
at what point does the game open up and let me sail the seas and upgrade my ship properly? I have just got the ship and crafted a second-gun holster but I can't upgrade anything else. Do I need to do a few story missions? I just want to fuck around and be a pirate..,.

Enjoying my time with it so far. I just find my self missing the time spanning epicness of AC2 and 3.

I really liked the time jumps in 2 and seasonal changes in 3. It gave the games a sense of progression and epicness that other games just dont really do.

Also I am curious where this series is going next. I get the feeling I am going to get bored of sailing by the end of this game and I cant see them doing another one like this. It very much feels like this was planned to be a Brotherhood style follow up to 3 but they swapped out Conner after everyone hated that guy.

And finally.... Is this the first Assassins Creed game you dont ride a horse? That randomly popped into my head just now.

Enjoying my time with it so far. I just find my self missing the time spanning epicness of AC2 and 3.

I really liked the time jumps in 2 and seasonal changes in 3. It gave the games a sense of progression and epicness that other games just dont really do.

Also I am curious where this series is going next. I get the feeling I am going to get bored of sailing by the end of this game and I cant see them doing another one like this. It very much feels like this was planned to be a Brotherhood style follow up to 3 but they swapped out Conner after everyone hated that guy.

And finally.... Is this the first Assassins Creed game you dont ride a horse? That randomly popped into my head just now.
I'm hoping for at least a two year gap with a next gen/PC only feudal Japan setting with revamped AI/controls/gameplay/engine. I'm really enjoying myself with IV but I can't see me buying another one next year, especially if it features sailing again and even more so at $60.

witness

And the last Legendary ships go down. Top right was last, and it was down to a sliver of health for both of us and somehow he went down first. I rammed into the side of him, devastated his health and then fire off two heavy shots and I made it out there. I love the reward you get for taking them all down. I recorded it but it sucks you can only share on Facebook. Pretty terrific, now onto finishing the story since I know have all the side missions completed. I do not have all the collectibles but its not something I'm terribly motivated to do. Still trying to finish up all the Fleet missions but I need to get a couple more man o wars for the cargo capacity to do them all in a decent amount of time. I'm on sequence 10 or 11 I think, when the story gets bananas and I still need to finish up Freedom Cry.

I will end up playing through this again very soon after I finish. If any PS4 people want to add me for Fleet, feel free to do so; witness_0783

Carbonox

2 levels away from 55, hnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh.

Since the servers came back up, all the challenges in-game have been reset which means getting XP bonuses for doing specific things is a godsend as you can redo them all again.

#BasedServerOutage

Order

That final scene where
Edward's dead friends are sitting at the table drinking
damn near made me cry. Edward is the best assassin in the series.

Replicant

For some reason this game sparks the obsessive-compulsive creature in me again. I haven't felt this way since AC2 (I actually felt the same way about ACB but the MP turned me off). Of course, it doesn't mean that I may be able to overcome the hurdle that is MP requirement. But so far I have managed to find the enthusiasm to conquer all of the naval forts much to my surprise.

I'm hoping for at least a two year gap with a next gen/PC only feudal Japan setting with revamped AI/controls/gameplay/engine. I'm really enjoying myself with IV but I can't see me buying another one next year, especially if it features sailing again and even more so at $60.

There was a spoiler of sorts (more like speculation?) of which places/era Abstergo Entertainment wish to do after Edward's adventure. Of course, it may not be what Ubisoft will end up making but it was listed as:

Egypt, Period Japan, French Revolution, I forgot the rest

In those order.

Lizardus

Finished the story, it was great. So we can assume that
John was a descendant of the Black Bart/Sage, right?

Also, I liked the bit with
endgame CGI cinametic showing Haytham in the same theater he makes his first kill. I though it would show that the old guy you kill as haytham in AC3 was Edward

Great game.

Hasney

Most boring, yes. Such a bland character.

Only character I've given a damn about in the whole series. Probably because of his reluctance.

I hope the next game is pirate themed, otherwise I'll probably not bother again. I could sail for hours.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To get 100% sync in a memory, do you need to perform both objective in a single playthrough, or can you just complete one and then go back and complete the other in a replay?

There was a memory where it didn't count the rope assassination at the very end of the level, and if I have to go through that whole thing again full stealth, I think I'm going to give up on 100% sync in this game. The levels are just way too long and if they force you to restart if you fail a late game objective, then screw that.

Also, I liked the bit with
endgame CGI cinametic showing Haytham in the same theater he makes his first kill. I though it would show that the old guy you kill as haytham in AC3 was Edward

I never read the comics so that is exactly what I was expecting too.

To get 100% sync in a memory, do you need to perform both objective in a single playthrough, or can you just complete one and then go back and complete the other in a replay?

There was a memory where it didn't count the rope assassination at the very end of the level, and if I have to go through that whole thing again full stealth, I think I'm going to give up on 100% sync in this game. The levels are just way too long and if they force you to restart if you fail a late game objective, then screw that.

Yes, you need to do everything again. Howeever some you can cheat, like the "Loot 4 chests one". As long as you found all the chests in a location that objective is automatically marked as complete, which is nice. But all others you must do both again for them to count. Kinda sucks

Lima

Yes, you need to do everything again. Howeever some you can cheat, like the "Loot 4 chests one". As long as you found all the chests in a location that objective is automatically marked as complete, which is nice. But all others you must do both again for them to count. Kinda sucks

Well that is just false information. You don't have to do both again.

Also unlike older Assassin's Creed games you don't have to restart the whole memory and can just reload the last checkpoint if you miss or fail an objective.

Top Bottom