• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Lima

The companion app is really good, I actually like the minigame now since I can do it everywhere on my phone.

Puts the WiiU version to shame if you are using it on a tablet. You can do everything that the U version does just with a much nicer screen and you can play Kenway's Fleet on the go.

Double D

Just unlocked the templar outfit and gunsword. Doing those assassin contract missions was a bitch. There were too many.

Which one is the templar outfit? I just unlocked the Mayan outfit last night and also the Gunswords. I literally turned the game off right after I got the gunswords so I'm not sure how awesome/lame they are yet.

This game has kind of become my palate cleanser. I'm actually enjoying the collect-a-thon. I had barely done any naval stuff/fort taking/diving at the time that I completed the game, so I had a ton of stuff to do. Still haven't really touched the naval contracts or treasure maps at all. The only diving I've done is the tutorial and the ones where I needed to for an assassination mission, which I will say I found very cool.

Lima

Which one is the templar outfit? I just unlocked the Mayan outfit last night and also the Gunswords. I literally turned the game off right after I got the gunswords so I'm not sure how awesome/lame they are yet.

The Templar outfit is the one you that is behind five locks in your home. You need to complete all five Templar missions to unlock it. It sucks though. The Mayan outfit is way better because it is pretty much like the awesome out in III that repels bullets.

The gun swords are not as lame as you would think. You can't fire them, they work pretty much like the regular swords. Sometimes they just shoot when you are in a combo and finish someone.

methane47

So I had the game for a month+ now... but I popped it in last week for the first time.. and OMG.... this game is GREAT.

I cannot tip my hat far enough. The devs seriously did a great job.

They took AC3 and just streamlined everything then they took a bunch of random eyes out of no where and implemented it Plus the animus crap is minimall and actually enjoyable in its minimality.

GREAT game... I cannot stop playing.

And I dont know about the other consoles.. but on PS4 it runs marvelously.. hardly any wait times, sea looks amazing, textures are good...

Great job Ubi.. seriously great job.

Lima

They took AC3 and just streamlined everything

I'm going to explode if I read this one more time. The only thing that is changed is the setting. The game still has all the problems that AC always had and then some more.

The pacing in this game is atrocious, the story is an unfocused mess with characters appearing and disappearing and time jumps that make no sense. And that is without mentioning that pretty much every mission up until sequence 7 is some sort of tutorial for things you have already done because they give you access to the whole world starting in sequence 3.

The side content is pointless like in III where collecting shit also gave you nothing.

I like the game a lot but let's not pretend that from a gameplay perspective this is any better than III.

Anyone else having issues with no social convoy's/chests/white whales appearing on PS4? I found 2 of each in the first few sequences (shortly after PS4 launch) but one of the social convoy markers stayed on my map and is still there to this day. It's been at least a few weeks and it still shows up on my map.

I'm on sequence 11 now and have spent quite a bit of time sailing around. I also have gone to locations where friends found a social convoy (within a few hours of them finding it, before it would expire), only to find nothing there or just a regular convoy. I only have around 20 UPlay friends and less than 10 PSN friends so its not that. Any ideas?

Well that is just false information. You don't have to do both again.

Also unlike older Assassin's Creed games you don't have to restart the whole memory and can just reload the last checkpoint if you miss or fail an objective.

Are you talking about being in a current memory or when you go to reload a previous memory? You need to to both in one play through to have it count, and if you don't get them both and you replay it you need to get the one you already got again.

methane47

I'm going to explode if I read this one more time. The only thing that is changed is the setting. The game still has all the problems that AC always had and then some more.

The pacing in this game is atrocious, the story is an unfocused mess with characters appearing and disappearing and time jumps that make no sense. And that is without mentioning that pretty much every mission up until sequence 7 is some sort of tutorial for things you have already done because they give you access to the whole world starting in sequence 3.

The side content is pointless like in III where collecting shit also gave you nothing.

I like the game a lot but let's not pretend that from a gameplay perspective this is any better than III.

I don't know man. Game is VERY streamlined. With AC3 many ideas that they had, they made them way to complex/boring/tedius while in AC4 they took the same task and just made it simpler.

For example.
-------------------------
Crafting
AC3 - First you need to find and save and level up the artisans.
Then you need to hunt/forage for sometimes 3 different materials.
Then you need to (IIRC) try to combine them and you might get lucky and get a recipe?
There are also something like 100 different materials you need for crafting..
Tedius/BORING/Overly Complicated

AC4 - No need for recipes except the elites.
List of materials is less than 20 not 100s.
2 materials max per item. Many items just need 1.
And for ships there are only 5 mats. Soo Streamlined.. because it was way too tedious, way too boring, and way too complex in AC3

----------------------------
Economy.
AC3 - Umm wtf? did anyone actually gain any enjoyment from this garbage economy caravan system? It was Tedius, boring and also overly complicated.

AC4 - No body enjoyed that crap... lets gut it, Everything is sell-able, everything is buy-able, economy is static, Because no one plays AC for their advanced trading system. Get rum and sugar........sell rum and sugar.

Streamlined.

Stealth
AC3 - Wanted status in Cities? Posters, Town criers?

AC4 - Gone

Traveling
AC3 - Run Loading, Run loading, Sail loading, Swim loading

AC4 - Playing, Fighting, sailing, running, swimming, climbing, Loading.

----------------------
Traveling part 2
AC3 - I'm walking at a snails pace in all this Snow... And I need to walk for another 10 minutes to reach the next point. Or I could Fast travel and wait for 10 minutes for the game to load... Decisions Decisions

AC4 - I was Just in Jamaica And Now I'm in Nassau. With no loading screens. And during my Journey to Nassau I did a whole tonne of stuff on the way.

-----------------------
Animus
AC3 - Oh gawd I hate playing as desmond, what a terrible character.. Can't I just spend more time as Connor PLEASE?

AC4 - Thank you Jesus.

======================

Thats just off the top of my head.
If you want to talk about setting, story line, animation, Character, acting sure then you might have a discussion about AC3 vs AC4.

But when it comes down to fun being had. AC4 has it in spades while AC3 i felt bogged down in minutia constantly

methane47

I'll just add some more from a review i recently read.

The fast travel system from Assassin's Creed III's cities has been killed entirely. (Praise be!) Synchronization points return in full force and they're everywhere. The new fast travel system allows you to return to any synch point you've been to. Are you in Nassau, but your mission is in Havana? Bring up the map, zoom into Havana, and pick the synch point closest to your objective. You can go right there. It's enormously useful. You can still explore, but sometimes you just want to get back to somewhere quick. Thank you, Ubisoft.

And for the collectible hounds, there's a display card for each region that shows all the collectible items and synch points in the area, so you know if you're missing anything. As a completionist when it comes to AC, I appreciated the addition.

The modern day briefly pops up again, putting you into the game as a nameless, faceless Abstergo Entertainment employee searching through Edward's life so it can be turned into a television show. These parts are pretty short if you don't want to participate, but there's still a great deal of content there and some old favorites return.

So many quality of life decisions in this game. Its hard to ignore.

Also umm I just read that white whales are a community spotting thing? So add me everyone "Methane47" (PSN)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well that is just false information. You don't have to do both again.

Also unlike older Assassin's Creed games you don't have to restart the whole memory and can just reload the last checkpoint if you miss or fail an objective.

Yes, you need to do everything again. Howeever some you can cheat, like the "Loot 4 chests one". As long as you found all the chests in a location that objective is automatically marked as complete, which is nice. But all others you must do both again for them to count. Kinda sucks

Well, now I'm confused. lol

I know you can reload a checkpoint, the problem is that if the objective is at the very end of a mission or if it says you failed the objective even if you pass it (I still don't know WHEN a rope assassination counts as a rope assassination. I mean, I'm clearly swinging from the damn rope when I kill a dude!).

The mission that I'm thinking of is the one where
you need to find the blood vials from the ship and you have to go through two stealth sections before assassinating the captain of a ship from a rope.
It'd be much easier to retry that mission if I didn't have to stealth through the entire first part again, because it just takes so long.

you need to find the blood vials from the ship and you have to go through two stealth sections before assassinating the captain of a ship from a rope.
It'd be much easier to retry that mission if I didn't have to stealth through the entire first part again, because it just takes so long.

That one sucked. It didn't count the first time for me either... did the exact same thing the second time that I did the first time and it worked fine (using the rope from the tower)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That one sucked. It didn't count the first time for me either... did the exact same thing the second time that I did the first time and it worked fine (using the rope from the tower)
Blerrrrg. lol

See, if I can just ignore the first objective and rambo my way up to the second objective, then I'd be a bit more willing to try again. But if I have to redo the entire mission full stealth? I just don't have the patience to sit through the AI walk patterns again.

Blerrrrg. lol

See, if I can just ignore the first objective and rambo my way up to the second objective, then I'd be a bit more willing to try again. But if I have to redo the entire mission full stealth? I just don't have the patience to sit through the AI walk patterns again.

Yea I felt the same way, its frustrating. I ended up abusing berserk darts so I wouldn't have to deal with waiting around forever again. On the first island you can just wait for patrol that goes to the edge to start walking back towards camp and run along the ride side of that wall. Run past the guards with your back to you and go around the wall. Hide there and berserk dart some people till only a couple are left alive, sleep dart them, get the chest and move on haha.

For the next part I just berserked the lookouts and sleep darted a couple guys to get to the second tower. It didn't seem to take as long but it definitely is still annoying. It would be much better if you could just hit reload checkpoint when it doesn't count the objective, like you said!

got a cove and a ship to build up

so long, rest of the story!

Haha, that's what I did - now I'm stuck with a ton of story and no world left to explore, lol.

The pacing in this game is generally off. It dragged so much at the beginning that, upon being given my first taste of freedom, I went sailing off and didn't look back. Ideally, I'd cut all the story bullshit, give the game a proper trading economy, diplomacy and politics systems and make it a straight-up pirate adventure sim.

Ambitious

I liked how they hid optional objectives in the menu. I hated how failed objectives wouldn't be marked with a red X, though.

Again, like in AC3, I didn't even notice the time jumps until a character would mention that some event from a previous mission had been months or even years ago. "Huh."

Well, now I'm confused. lol

I know you can reload a checkpoint, the problem is that if the objective is at the very end of a mission or if it says you failed the objective even if you pass it (I still don't know WHEN a rope assassination counts as a rope assassination. I mean, I'm clearly swinging from the damn rope when I kill a dude!).

Okay, so if you go to replay a mission from the memory select screen, you need to get both optionals in order for it to count as 100%, even if you got one the first time, you still need to do it again the second go.

However, if you are in the middle of a mission and you failed the final objective, you can reload and hopefully the last checkpoint will have one optional object completed, but not the one you just missed so you can re-do it.

Does this make sense? Also, is this the mission where you need to get rid of the two lookouts as well? If so, I hated this one, it took me forever.

Again, like in AC3, I didn't even notice the time jumps until a character would mention that some event from a previous mission had been months or even years ago. "Huh."

Yeah, in Ac3 there was at least different seasons telling you that time is passing. In AC4 6 year pass and you hardly notice anything. Okay, sailing to Africa and back obviouly takes a long time, but there's not a lot telling you that time is passing.

Lima

Okay, so if you go to replay a mission from the memory select screen, you need to get both optionals in order for it to count as 100%, even if you got one the first time, you still need to do it again the second go.

However, if you are in the middle of a mission and you failed the final objective, you can reload and hopefully the last checkpoint will have one optional object completed, but not the one you just missed so you can re-do it.

Does this make sense? Also, is this the mission where you need to get rid of the two lookouts as well? If so, I hated this one, it took me forever.

Again no you don't.

You don't have to do the first one again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yea I felt the same way, its frustrating. I ended up abusing berserk darts so I wouldn't have to deal with waiting around forever again. On the first island you can just wait for patrol that goes to the edge to start walking back towards camp and run along the ride side of that wall. Run past the guards with your back to you and go around the wall. Hide there and berserk dart some people till only a couple are left alive, sleep dart them, get the chest and move on haha.

For the next part I just berserked the lookouts and sleep darted a couple guys to get to the second tower. It didn't seem to take as long but it definitely is still annoying. It would be much better if you could just hit reload checkpoint when it doesn't count the objective, like you said!
You know what the worst part is? When I first started the mission, I didn't go to a store to get more darts, so I basically had to use smoke bombs for the whole thing. The fact that, for some reason, crafting is disabled during that whole mission is just so dumb. :/

That clears it up. That's what I assumed, but I was hoping that you could just do each objective independently if only to save people some time. What they need to do is let you pick which checkpoint to load from, although that's probably way too granular.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who found that mission annoying! I mean, the mission itself would be fine if it didn't seem to glitch out the second objective. Putting that right at the end of the mission and not giving you a chance to redo it if it doesn't count is probably the worst thing this game has done. It's funny, I 100% synced AC1 and the Ezio trilogy, but I think my patience for this stuff is beginning to wear thin.

Again no you don't.

lol
I really would test this, but I can't think of a short mission where I only did one of the objectives.

Lima

lol
I really would test this, but I can't think of a short mission where I only did one of the objectives.

You don't have to.

It is how I tell you it is. It is a fact.

I played this game 2 times to 100% on both 360 and X1. I know what I'm talking about.

Again no you don't.

What are you saying I'm wrong on? I'm stating two different things.
Alright, alright, I'll give it a shot!

Let me know what happens.

There is a mission where you need to free pirates early in the game. The two optional objectives are to kill guards with their own weapons and to shoot the rope one of the pirates if hanging from. I only did the first one because I didnt notice the rope shooting objective until it was too late.

I went back to this mission after I beat the game and I had to do both over again, even though I already did the first one the first time.

The only time you don't need to is if there is an objective around looting chests, and you already looted all the chests in that area. The two that come to mind is the mission where you need to loot 4 chests and not kill any Assassins while
finding Kidd
, and the first diving mission. For the first one I didn't kill any Assassins but I couldnt find one of the chests. I went to reply the mission and suddenly I had the chest objective complete but I had to replay anyway completing the other objective I already did because you need to do both again when you replay.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who found that mission annoying! I mean, the mission itself would be fine if it didn't seem to glitch out the second objective. Putting that right at the end of the mission and not giving you a chance to redo it if it doesn't count is probably the worst thing this game has done. It's funny, I 100% synced AC1 and the Ezio trilogy, but I think my patience for this stuff is beginning to wear thin.
Yup it was super annoying and I kept getting caught. Luckily I was able to do the rope kill and it registered my first attempt.

The mission that really frustrated me as the one where you need to double assassinate as an optional objective(the other is to free the pirates). It got to the point where I just looked up a video for the best time to do the double assassination. I hate that mission.

Lima

There is a mission where you need to free pirates early in the game. The two optional objectives are to kill guards with their own weapons and to shoot the rope one of the pirates if hanging from. I only did the first one because I didnt notice the rope shooting objective until it was too late.

I went back to this mission after I beat the game and I had to do both over again, even though I already did the first one the first time.

The only time you don't need to is if there is an objective around looting chests, and you already looted all the chests in that area. The two that come to mind is the mission where you need to loot 4 chests and not kill any Assassins while
finding Kidd
, and the first diving mission. For the first one I didn't kill any Assassins but I couldnt find one of the chests. I went to reply the mission and suddenly I had the chest objective complete but I had to replay anyway completing the other objective I already did because you need to do both again when you replay.

There is no need to complete the other objective when replaying a memory trough the progress tracker.

It will only show 90% at the status screen at the end of the mission but the other objective is still cleared when looking at the progress tracker and the one that you have done via replay will be checked too.

No need for this extensive information in your post, you are just wrong on this.

This was how it was in III too btw.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The mission that really frustrated me as the one where you need to double assassinate as an optional objective(the other is to free the pirates). It got to the point where I just looked up a video for the best time to do the double assassination. I hate that mission.

HAHAHAHAHA

You know what happened with me?
They saw me and started chasing after me. So I climbed up a watch tower, jumped back down, and kept running. It turns out they also ran up the tower as well, except when they jumped down, they instantly died.

At least, that's what I assumed happened! One minute I was running away, the next it was playing the cutscene and I got objective completed. lol

There is no need to complete the other objective when replaying a memory trough the progress tracker.

It will only show 90% at the status screen at the end of the mission but the other objective is still cleared when looking at the progress tracker and the one that you have done via replay will be checked too.

No need for this extensive information in your post, you are just wrong on this.

This was how it was in III too btw.

Okay your right, I'm wrong. firehawk12 just do the rope assassination and your good.

I misread I guide so I thought you needed to redo everything. What you DO need to do is complete the mission though, you can't leave halfway through once you get the objective.

HAHAHAHAHA

You know what happened with me?
They saw me and started chasing after me. So I climbed up a watch tower, jumped back down, and kept running. It turns out they also ran up the tower as well, except when they jumped down, they instantly died.

At least, that's what I assumed happened! One minute I was running away, the next it was playing the cutscene and I got objective completed. lol

Nice! The AC games seem to have great glitches that help you meet your objective for every 20 that help you screw it up. Something similar happened to me but I can't remember the circumstance. Maybe it was in ACIII?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Okay, I just did it on 8-1. Lucky, because it's a short one, and it works as Lima explains. You get 90% sync on the status screen, but when you go back to the memory tracker, it counts both as completed and gives you 100% sync

What they SHOULD do is basically mark the objectives as complete if you already completed it earlier, because this just adds to the confusion.

But either way, I'm glad I don't have to redo that whole stealth section again. Thanks guys!

Okay your right, I'm wrong. firehawk12 just do the rope assassination and your good.

I misread I guide so I thought you needed to redo everything. What you DO need to do is complete the mission though, you can't leave halfway through once you get the objective.
Oh yeah, still need to finish the whole thing to get to the status screen. Too bad!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
A few games of playing manhunt/wolfpack:

I'm_surrounded_by_idiots.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, speaking of completing objectives. I'm on sequence twelve and basically no enemies spawned and I was confused as fuck. Well, at least it made getting through to the end much easier. lol

---

Regarding the ending, does this mean that the "player" is
a woman because you are supposed to be a vessel for Juno? I noticed that they go out of their way to say your gender.
I suppose it'd be more progressive if gender didn't matter. lol

zlatko

Banned

I LOVE the capture the flag game type. That and domination are fantastic in this.

Wolfpack/Manhunt is a turd. No one knows how to hide, and even if you DO, it's still a bit of a crap shoot to me.

People on PS4 feel free to add me with a message saying you are from GAF:

OutlawOcelot

I need more buddies for those Whales and anyone up for online shenanigans. I don't use a headset often though. :(

kyser73

Yay! My first completed game on the 4. Still got side missions & collecting to clear up.

But

How long do those credits go on for!?

Lima

But

How long do those credits go on for!?

They are long and the are extra long for the DLC too.

I prepared my food and cleaned the whole house when they started running, took something like 30 minutes and they were still running when I returned.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I LOVE the capture the flag game type. That and domination are fantastic in this.

Wolfpack/Manhunt is a turd. No one knows how to hide, and even if you DO, it's still a bit of a crap shoot to me.

May the odds ever be in my favor.

Spoiler: they always are
--

It's not the hiding I hate... it's how they kill.

Danny 117

Yes. In fact, you can't be in Kenway's fleet in the game and use the app at the same time.

Cool, I'm in bed right now managing the fleet. Pretty cool. These are like a direct copy and paste of outer ops from MGS Peace Walker lol.

If anyone wants to help speed up my ships, add me :

xDanny 117 (Xbox Live)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cool, I'm in bed right now managing the fleet. Pretty cool. These are like a direct copy and paste of outer ops from MGS Peace Walker lol.

If anyone wants to help speed up my ships, add me :

xDanny 117 (Xbox Live)
It's neat, but once you figure it out, it sort of breaks the game. I made 400k in a week and was basically able to buy everything.

That said, I think I liked the Facebook game for Brotherhood more. But that's because there was a lot of lore tied to it as well as the in-game benefits.

anthym

Neo Member
Just bought this on PS4 through PSN. Played a couple of main story missions so far and I'm loving it. Haven't played an AC game since the first one came out. I just have one question, which I'm sure has been answered before but couldn't find it through searching: If I get 90% on a mission and I want to go for 100%, can I go back and replay the mission later on to get 100%?

Carbonox

It took one game to realise Wolfpack is not worth it.

All but one lines up for Sync Kill. Last person sprints towards the group and outright kills one of the targets without batting an eye lid, not realizing what Sync Kill is (or just not giving a fuck).

Never again. Besides, the best way to level up is to play on your own. Shit gets done that way.

Finished the story, it was great. So we can assume that
John was a descendant of the Black Bart/Sage, right?

Not a descendant.
He IS the Sage. It's made clear in some of the extra lore info you can find around the game that the Sage is a being that's reborn every few generations. I've read somewhere he's the spirit of Juno's husband, who died during an experiment, inhabiting new hosts.

Also, I liked the bit with
endgame CGI cinametic showing Haytham in the same theater he makes his first kill. I though it would show that the old guy you kill as haytham in AC3 was Edward

Ed was long dead at the start of AC3, he died when Haytham was 10.

Anyone else having issues with no social convoy's/chests/white whales appearing on PS4? I found 2 of each in the first few sequences (shortly after PS4 launch) but one of the social convoy markers stayed on my map and is still there to this day. It's been at least a few weeks and it still shows up on my map.

I'm on sequence 11 now and have spent quite a bit of time sailing around. I also have gone to locations where friends found a social convoy (within a few hours of them finding it, before it would expire), only to find nothing there or just a regular convoy. I only have around 20 UPlay friends and less than 10 PSN friends so its not that. Any ideas?

Anyone? :\

Shandy

It's not the hiding I hate... it's how they kill.

Lock on target, make a stealthy approach and-- Oh, Dipshit #1 charges in, gets a contested and walks away moaning with a measly 125 points and because Dipshit #2 really wanted that 125 points, he kills an NPC and gives the other team 100 points despite the fact that the other team are miles away.

I'd say the main problem is that the combined team score is useless beyond determining which team gets a victory pose/ladder points. It's a team mode being scored like a FFA and it's terrible because of it. After 4 games, I don't think Ubisoft Annecy even cares to fix it.

But I just can't quit Manhunt, even if the players seem to get dumber and dumber every game.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
Can someone help me understand how harpooning works? I'm on sequence 7 and I did not get a tutorial or any mission that has walked me through it, but I noticed that the harpooning upgrades are now available in the shop. What gives? Wasn't I supposed to get a tutorial?

I hate how the PS4 version still advertises Double XP "this weekend". I hope that means it will pop up this weekend. I dont want to play Wolfpack for over 10 hours lol

Top Bottom