• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can someone help me understand how harpooning works? I'm on sequence 7 and I did not get a tutorial or any mission that has walked me through it, but I noticed that the harpooning upgrades are now available in the shop. What gives? Wasn't I supposed to get a tutorial?
You do want to get the upgrades if you can afford them, because it will make it easier. Otherwise, you find a whale or shark icon on the map, sail to it, hold O/B to start the minigame.
Then you'll be in a game where you basically just aim a harpoon at the whale and throw it, and you just keep doing that over and over again until it's dead. At some point, the whale will break free and either charge at you or whip it's tale at you, and you will need to throw your harpoon at it before it hits you.

Exile550

I'm having a hard time completing these social events challenges. I spent an hour sailing around the map yesterday trying to find it. Only got 1 whale in 65 hours played (according to steam). Can anyone help? Do I need to add friends on Uplay?

This social stuff is really horrible.

I'm having a hard time completing these social events challenges. I spent an hour sailing around the map yesterday trying to find it. Only got 1 whale in 65 hours played (according to steam). Can anyone help? Do I need to add friends on Uplay?

This social stuff is really horrible.

Heres the jist of what you need to do. It worked for me like a charm:

Go here: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/as...y-not-boost-thread-friend-request-thread.html

Or, go to the exivelent PS3 thread, or go the their achievements site for the 360/One versions(I guess just Google if your a PC/WiiU person).

Now look at the last few pages, you will see something like "White Whale at 450, 190 6:50 left"

This mean you need to go into the game, travel to those coordinates, and hope you see a white whale. You have almost seven hours.

If you don't see it, exit single player, boot up multiplayer, then exit multiplayer and go back to single player(or exit the entire game and restart it). This will reset the server you are on for single player. Go back to those coordinates and hope you see what you want. I had to repeat this about 10 times before I found my white whale. Some users take more, some less.

Heres the jist of what you need to do. It worked for me like a charm:

Go here: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/as...y-not-boost-thread-friend-request-thread.html

Or, go to the exivelent PS3 thread, or go the their achievements site for the 360/One versions(I guess just Google if your a PC/WiiU person).

Now look at the last few pages, you will see something like "White Whale at 450, 190 6:50 left"

This mean you need to go into the game, travel to those coordinates, and hope you see a white whale. You have almost seven hours.

If you don't see it, exit single player, boot up multiplayer, then exit multiplayer and go back to single player(or exit the entire game and restart it). This will reset the server you are on for single player. Go back to those coordinates and hope you see what you want. I had to repeat this about 10 times before I found my white whale. Some users take more, some less.

Any idea if this works on PS4 if you have a bugged royal convoy on your map (its been there a couple weeks)? I've tried this a few times but no luck.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
You do want to get the upgrades if you can afford them, because it will make it easier. Otherwise, you find a whale or shark icon on the map, sail to it, hold O/B to start the minigame.
Then you'll be in a game where you basically just aim a harpoon at the whale and throw it, and you just keep doing that over and over again until it's dead. At some point, the whale will break free and either charge at you or whip it's tale at you, and you will need to throw your harpoon at it before it hits you.

ahh, thanks. Wonder why I did not get a tutorial...

Nugg

I'm downloading an update for the PS4 version right now. Anyone knows what's in it (or where to look for patch notes)?

Will this work on PC with steam?
I dont see why not. So long as when you go to load the game it loags you into a uplay server.

Any idea if this works on PS4 if you have a bugged royal convoy on your map (its been there a couple weeks)? I've tried this a few times but no luck.

Is it a shared convoy? If not that shouldn't matter, just wait until you find a shared one. Its shared if the R icon is blue.

Is it a shared convoy? If not that shouldn't matter, just wait until you find a shared one. Its shared if the R icon is blue.

It is a shared convoy. I found it weeks ago, boarded/looted it like normal, but the icon has stayed on my map ever since even though there is nothing there (sometimes a regular convoy will be there but I think that's just a spawn point for them). Ever since that has stayed on my map I seem to not be able to find any social events, whether they are chests, whales or convoys. I go to known locations where friends find them (before they expire) and nothing is there.

SJRB

Gold Member

I had that sequence 12 bug, most anti-climatic ending ever because of that. There was no way to kill him - assassination didn't work [either from the platform as intended or just standing next to him], swords and other gear wouldn't "attack" either. I eventually defeated him by doing a running tackle and just kicking him the face when he was down.

So fucking stupid and it made the entire sequence super silly. HUGE oversight in their bugtesting. Took them long enough to fix that. Also nothing on the 100+ friends bug on the PS4.

It is a shared convoy. I found it weeks ago, boarded/looted it like normal, but the icon has stayed on my map ever since even though there is nothing there (sometimes a regular convoy will be there but I think that's just a spawn point for them). Ever since that has stayed on my map I seem to not be able to find any social events, whether they are chests, whales or convoys. I go to known locations where friends find them (before they expire) and nothing is there.

I have the exact same thing - a Royal Convoy that has been on my map for weeks, but no actual convoy is at the location any more. It's also been ages since I saw anything new "community" related.

When I first started playing I shared a bunch of stuff in the first day or two of playing - chests, white whales, royal navy - and then it just seemed to stop. Not sure when, since I was focusing on the story quests at that time. But now that I am going back and trying to 100% the game - it's become extremely obvious that something isn't updating.

Thankfully, I got the Sharing is Caring trophy taken care of in that first day or two - but still. I've never gotten the chance to take on a White Whale since that functionality broke long before I was ready to try it. :(

Kind of hope this new patch will somehow fix this issue as well, even if it isn't documented in the patch notes.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Not a descendant.
He IS the Sage. It's made clear in some of the extra lore info you can find around the game that the Sage is a being that's reborn every few generations. I've read somewhere he's the spirit of Juno's husband, who died during an experiment, inhabiting new hosts.

That's true

CmdBash

just lost 23 hours of progress because I was migrating to the ssd :( didn't even realise that ubisoft disabled cloud saving.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Don't know if others have had this issue pop on on them, after about 30 minutes to and hour of playing the game for some reason the camera just tends to look down. In naval combat while aiming with the cannons, or with the pistols the camera just goes down to the floor. Anyone know of a fix or where I can check something out. The only fix I do that seems to work short term is shutting the system down and restarting the game which then starts all over gain after said time.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So is there anything I can do to unlock the previous game costumes? I've got all the games on my uPlay account, they all show on AC Initiates and still nothing in-game (PC).

Lizardus

So is there anything I can do to unlock the previous game costumes? I've got all the games on my uPlay account, they all show on AC Initiates and still nothing in-game (PC).

I have the same thing so I emailed Ubi support but they have yet to answer me.

SJRB

Gold Member
Fired up my PS4 for the first time in a week or two; 800 mb patch, still can't connect to uPlay..

gg Ubisoft, you clowns.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
So I did something pretty cool today.

Was about to stop playing so I figured I'd dick around for a bit. I had hopped off the Jackdaw to open a treasure chest on a desert island in the south seas and wondered what would happen if I swam into the ocean. I expected Kenway would drown eventually or a shark would eat me but, to my surprise, his stamina seemed to be limitless and he can swim just fine in the rough seas.

Then I saw a frigate nearing me so I swam towards it to see what would happen. It turned away so I guessed this was programmed to make boarding impossible without the Jackdaw, but not long after a gunship sailed almost directly into me and Kenway latched on. I couldn't believe it! I assumed it was impossible to interact with them but not only could I climb on board, I wiped out the whole crew.

It gets better: not long after I saw a man o' war approaching so I dived off the mast and raced towards it. Just like the gunship, Kenway grabbed on to the hull and climbed on up. My heart was racing. I made it up to the rigging unnoticed, took out the gunners then used their rifles to snipe at the crew below before swinging down to finish off the rest.

Unfortunately, once the crew's gone the ship's dead in the water and there's nothing I could do with it. I would've loved to commandeer it and steer it back to the Jackdaw (now ages away) but all I could do was stand at the top of the mast and feel like the king of the world. Worth it though.

So there you have it: with enough patience Kenway can be a one man fleet killing machine. If only the French had him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's region specific I think. If you replace US with GB then you can get to the Euro version of the site.

Otherwise, the site should work. I passed it along to a few gaffers already.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
did some dumb mission in Tulum and i think that'll be that for the story.

i've just been doing a few things, and i've been having a blast:

wear the uplay pirate outfit & shut off the hud (except the minimap)
building a fleet
upgrading the jackdaw
upgrading the cove
upgrading my sword and guns
hunting down sea shanties

the game is... awesome. padstow's farewell m/

Nemesis_

Well this is annoying, the achievement for sinking all four legendary ships didn't unlock. Xbox One here.

Anyone have similar problems? It's really frustrating because it would take so much more time and effort to unlock it since I'd essentially have to re-upgrade my entire ship in a new playthrough :/

mitchman

Gold Member
So I did something pretty cool today.

Was about to stop playing so I figured I'd dick around for a bit. I had hopped off the Jackdaw to open a treasure chest on a desert island in the south seas and wondered what would happen if I swam into the ocean. I expected Kenway would drown eventually or a shark would eat me but, to my surprise, his stamina seemed to be limitless and he can swim just fine in the rough seas.

Then I saw a frigate nearing me so I swam towards it to see what would happen. It turned away so I guessed this was programmed to make boarding impossible without the Jackdaw, but not long after a gunship sailed almost directly into me and Kenway latched on. I couldn't believe it! I assumed it was impossible to interact with them but not only could I climb on board, I wiped out the whole crew.

It gets better: not long after I saw a man o' war approaching so I dived off the mast and raced towards it. Just like the gunship, Kenway grabbed on to the hull and climbed on up. My heart was racing. I made it up to the rigging unnoticed, took out the gunners then used their rifles to snipe at the crew below before swinging down to finish off the rest.

Unfortunately, once the crew's gone the ship's dead in the water and there's nothing I could do with it. I would've loved to commandeer it and steer it back to the Jackdaw (now ages away) but all I could do was stand at the top of the mast and feel like the king of the world. Worth it though.

So there you have it: with enough patience Kenway can be a one man fleet killing machine. If only the French had him.

A friend told me that you need to go back to the jackdaw, fire _one_ volley at the now empty man'o'war, then you can take it over normally.

Azulsky

When i logged on the PC version yesterday I was met with messages that all the retailer based unique content was now available.

Captain Morgan outfit looks swag yo.

Also finally got the legendary ships cleared. El Impuluto was a beast.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
A friend told me that you need to go back to the jackdaw, fire _one_ volley at the now empty man'o'war, then you can take it over normally.
Yep. Except all you have to do is board it and complete secondary objectives like blowing powder reserves or destroying flags.

Cronnie

What do you need 100 friends to get the last upgrade? I only have like 2 and I got everything with no problem.

No, there's a bug that causes it to screw up with people with more than 99 friends.

The lack of social events is pretty frustrating too, it is the last thing in SP I have left to do, and after so many hours in the game I have only managed to see one white whale, pretty ridiculous.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm at those shitty stealth missions with the assassins that they may not see you. Sucks so hard..

That one can get annoying super quickly. Timing is key though. Also remember that even though you can't kill them, it's okay to knock them out or use sleepdarts on them.

There are two or three sports where you have to take full advantage of the awful AI and quickly KO and hide someone before the other person comes back from patrol. Also remember that you can lure them to your hiding place by whistling. Just make sure you don't lure two at the same time.

Beatrix

The last thing I need to do is get the last 3 hidden treasure via Kenway's fleet. Anyone have any tips of how to get these fast and efficiently?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm trying to stream some AC4 footage on the PS4 with my elgato instead of the share feature and for some reason the quality is really fuzzy.

I've streamed a few times with TLoU and GTAV and never had the quality this bad. Does anyone know a fix or should I create a thread on this issue?

No, there's a bug that causes it to screw up with people with more than 99 friends.

The lack of social events is pretty frustrating too, it is the last thing in SP I have left to do, and after so many hours in the game I have only managed to see one white whale, pretty ridiculous.

Ahhh I see. Thats super shitty =/

Yep. And to get the Elite Fire Barrel storage, I need to do a mission in the boat-mini-game thing. But I cannot access it because I have 100+ friends... I want to just remove a bunch of people, but it feels like a waste for one thing.

You can buy the white whale and other skins from a merchant, so don't worry about that.

Cronnie

You can buy the white whale and other skins from a merchant, so don't worry about that.

Yup, but unfortunately in order to get 100% completion in the game you need to find and share three of each of the 'social events' (social chest, royal convoy, and white whale) as they are part of the Abstergo challenges.

I read up a little on the Ubisoft forums and apparently these events were too common at launch, so the developers have tweaked them to make them rarer but I guess they went a little overboard as after completing the game and all the side missions I've only ever encountered one white whale and no convoys or chests.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
(Chorus)
Weigh-hay and up she rises
Earlay in the morning!

What will we do with a drunken sailor,
What will we do with a drunken sailor.
What will we do with a drunken sailor,
Earlay in the morning?

(Chorus)

Put 'em in the scuppers with a hose pipe on him,
Earlay in the morning!

(Chorus)

Put him in the brig until he's sober,
Put him in the brig until he’s sober,
Put him in the brig until he's sober,
Earlay in the morning!

(Chorus)

webkatt

I'm looking for frineds for Fleet missions and such

PSN: webkatt

1548074_10202137703377913_1511774823_o.jpg

AndyD

aka andydumi
So my sister is sending me her PS3 version disc for a while. I was thinking of just doing the $10 upgrade and play it on the PS4.

Do I need any register codes or anything or just the disc? Then buy the upgrade on PSN? If I need a register code, anyone has a spare they are not using?

Hasney

So my sister is sending me her PS3 version disc for a while. I was thinking of just doing the $10 upgrade and play it on the PS4.

Do I need any register codes or anything or just the disc? Then buy the upgrade on PSN? If I need a register code, anyone has a spare they are not using?

There's a code in the box.

Top Bottom