• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Bebpo

Banned
Sequence 10, memory 1.......the one that goes on for multiple parts and you can't be seen the entire thing if you want 100% sync and then have to rope swing assassinate....yeah, especially coming right after that double assassinate optional objective...yeahhhhhh

These have been 2 of the worst missions in the game so far. I have this sneaking feeling as I'm approaching the end of the story, that every single story mode mission will be miserable from this point on if going for 100% sync.

Maybe someone can tell me the optional objectives are not that bad after this point? Please? Someone? ;_;

Bebpo

Banned
Did the four Legendary ships tonight. Man, that was fun. A couple of them I couldn't believe it when I won. Smoke everywhere so I couldn't see, my ship down to a sliver of life and then the other ship sinks. Really fun fights, if they do make a pirate spinoff series I want story fights like those, epic ship battles.

On the last couple of sequences now, really like the story and characters in this game. Looking forward to finishing it up the next time I play and doing the last real world hacking stuff.

Does the Double XP weekend end at the same time worldwide, or is it region-specific?

Absolutely loving the game so far, still only in Sequence 3. Kind of hope Ubisoft make the pirate setting into an offshoot franchise, its fantastic. Keep getting distracted on the way to missions and plundering ships/looking for collectibles

What's actualy the point of having a large crew size? Just more expendable pirates so you can plunder more ships before having to recruit replacements?

Lima

Does the Double XP weekend end at the same time worldwide, or is it region-specific?

Same time worldwide.

What's actualy the point of having a large crew size? Just more expendable pirates so you can plunder more ships before having to recruit replacements?

Basically yes. Quite a few of your crew members die when boarding a Man-O-War for example. If you run out of crew members you can not board ships anymore.

Wow, that double XP was great. Went from level 1 to 55 this weekend and it was painless.

I'm only getting about 6000XP per Wolfpack :(

Might wait for the next double XP weekend to carry on. Still have to use a load of the abilities as well, but seems you have to play proper MP to use a few of them

Bebpo

Banned
Finally finished this up 100% sync and did all the real world stuff, really liked it. The story telling is not that great because of the jumping around and hiding stuff in the database entries, but overall it's an enjoyable story with good characters; it's the first game in the series since AC2 that I felt had any real emotion to it.

I'm actually pretty impressed that the story of the age of pirates turned out so well considering that these games have 600 person+ teams and are rushed rushed rushed made by committee. I expect something more robotic out of that (like with the gameplay, which is pretty robotic and check off the boxes) but the story felt pretty personal and felt like the people making the story actually cared about what they were making. It does a great job weaving in and out of real world history with the fictional characters of this story.

It's pretty depressing when you realize that the golden age of pirates really only lasted 6 years or so and almost everyone who started the pirate republic with hopes and dreams of doing something with Nassau...ending up doing nothing there and almost everyone ended up murdered or hung or dead by some other method.

All these books and movies have romanticized Pirates and the age of Piracy, yet most never touch on the darker side of how it all lasted so shortly and came to an end in an awful fashion. Most of these guys didn't live past 30-40. Not that they were innocent great guys, as when they attacked ships even if they spared the crew, I'm sure people were getting killed during ship battles regularly because of them. But for pirates, this was a group that was trying to accomplish something and totally failed and people like Thatch ended up getting betrayed and butchered.

Anyhow, yeah, they did a good job portraying the golden age of pirates from start to finish in a single game story while weaving in Edward's fictional tale about the Assassin's/Templars and Observatory. I liked it a good deal.

The gameplay was alright, the assassin stuff is still fun even after all these games, especially when you have free reign to stealth around and the sailing is really immersive and well done. However the collectibles are dumb and need to go. Especially all the "uncharted" ones.

The real world stuff was ok, kind of neat though one or two of the hacking parts were annoying.

The optional objectives in the story missions are an improvement over three, but there's still a handful that are super frustrating and most are totally pointless and just detract from the main mission. Tailing missions are getting old, Eavesdrop missions are awful. The combat is still boring though pistols did make it a bit more fun since you don't have to just sit and counter as much and can be more offensive with pistol combos. There's a nice sense of exploration with the sailing and islands that I'd like to see them expand on more in future games regardless of if they are pirate themed or not.

Great game, second best in the series for sure imo behind AC2. But after 50 hours and 6 mainline games in 7 years I'm pretty sick of this tbh. I think from this point on I'm changing how I play these games. Gonna wait a few months and then when I do play Freedom's Cry and maybe the AC3 Expansion I never played + Liberations HD, I'm doing two things differently (also for AC5+ because I'll still keep playing them since I like this series):

Basically I think to get maximum enjoyment out of this series I'm going to play them while 1) ignoring all optional objectives in main missions and 2) not going out of my way to collect glowing things/collectible icons spread all across the map. I feel like if you cut those out in AC4 you'd go from a 50 hour game to 30 hour game that's the same experience but with much better pacing and way less frustration. So yeah, done with my OCD in AC games after this game, will enjoy further AC OCD-free and see if I like it more.

Vooduu

Got Platinum last night. Felt pretty good for a good game, especially with the 2x XP weekend.

I was surprised that multiplayer was not actually bad, but fun in small doses.

I HATE it though because there are nothing but people who are so high in rank that I couldn't grasp any tactics or learn how to play because I was constantly getting fucked in the ass.

Raptor

Got Platinum last night. Felt pretty good for a good game, especially with the 2x XP weekend.

I was surprised that multiplayer was not actually bad, but fun in small doses.

I HATE it though because there are nothing but people who are so high in rank that I couldn't grasp any tactics or learn how to play because I was constantly getting fucked in the ass.

pl4Jm.gif

God damn this game is long if you go for all side stuff, Im close to 30 hours and Im at 37%.

This is insane.

Also at what point I will start going under the sea? I want that Harpoon Upgrade that deals more damage, those White Whales are a pain and with the "only available at this time" is annoying, yesterday I couldn't kill one and I only had 19 minutes to do so :(

Lima

Also at what point I will start going under the sea? I want that Harpoon Upgrade that deals more damage, those White Whales are a pain and with the "only available at this time" is annoying, yesterday I couldn't kill one and I only had 19 minutes to do so :(

You can buy the diving bell at the start of sequence 6.

witness

I decided to try out my PS3 version just to take look and at first I thought this isn't bad in comparison to PS4, but then I got to Havana. It runs so horrible, it seems like the frame rate gets down to the low teens. It was so terrible I thought something might be wrong with my HDD so I tried another game and it was fine. I don't ever remember AC2 and Brotherhood having issues like this game has.

Montresor

It's not really, though. It takes around 15 to 20 hours playing Wolfpack to reach level 55. The rest of the MP trophies are easy too.

This is an old post but I`ve been reading back through this thread for fun after just recently beating AC4.

To the bolded: That is WAY too much time to spend on a mode that is uninteresting (at least for me). I`m more than happy skipping a bunch of multiplayer trophies/achievements. I'm going for for 55/60 achievements and then I'll be done with this game.

This is an old post but I`ve been reading back through this thread for fun after just recently beating AC4.

To the bolded: That is WAY too much time to spend on a mode that is uninteresting (at least for me). I`m more than happy skipping a bunch of multiplayer trophies/achievements. I'm going for for 55/60 achievements and then I'll be done with this game.

It's daunting when put like that, so I just play one round of Wolfpack, then single player, then another round before I get off the game. Its much more palatable when played like that imo.

Assuming I get it, I'll be so underwhelmed as usual when the Platinum pops up :p

Double D

I've got like 4 chests left to collect and around 8 or so animus fragments. I didn't realize until last night that there are some treasure maps acquired from Kenway's fleet, so I should have those by tonight.

Then the only thing left to do in SP is take down those legendary ships. I've tried all of them a couple times and have failed. Anyone have any protips?

Anyone on the PC mind giving me their save game files? I just picked the game up and have already played it through on PS4 and very much do not want to replay the opening couple hours. None of the save games from the usual online sources seem to be working for me.

I've got like 4 chests left to collect and around 8 or so animus fragments. I didn't realize until last night that there are some treasure maps acquired from Kenway's fleet, so I should have those by tonight.

Then the only thing left to do in SP is take down those legendary ships. I've tried all of them a couple times and have failed. Anyone have any protips?

The Kenway's Fleet missions go straight from taking 5 minutes to taking about 10 hours :O

Field

Anyone experience missing trophies on the PS4 version? I'm at the beginning of memory sequence 12 in the game but for some reason I don't have trophies for completing memory sequence 8 and 9.

This is my first AC game and I just started playing a week ago (PS4) and there are definitely some bright spots for me-- anything ship-related in particular-- but the controls and climbing mechanics seem wayyyyy jankier than I was expecting. I suppose that's the reason why the checkpoint system seems pretty forgiving when you need to restart a portion because the game decided you got too close to something and decided to latch you onto it like a fucking barnacle, completely derailing whatever you were doing.

I'm also over the "uncharted" collectibles that are not in specific ports particularly because of the slog of having to swim back and forth between the ship and the sliver of land. They ought to have had an option to fast travel back to the ship just to speed that process up.

That aside, I am generally enjoying my first outing into AC. I think it's a beautiful game and some of the areas that I've been to so far (only just finished Sequence 3) such as Great Inagua are gorgeous. I love the ship combat/raiding and more than a few shanties are now burned into my brain (in a good way). I'm a sucker for crafting so I'm right at home grinding out ship combat to upgrade my ship and taking on some forts. Can't wait until I'm powerful enough to take on some of those Legendary ships. El Impoluto absolutely wrecked the shit out of me.

I also seem to be in the minority of liking the AC lore and present-day stuff; I read up on the AC backstory before getting into 4 because I have zero plans to play any of the previous game but wanted to understand the whole Assassins/Templars deal and the present day tie-ins. It's sci-fi that doesn't strike me any sillier in premise than stuff I've seen on Stargate SG-1 (which I also liked), so I'm into it.

I'll definitely be platting the game as I'm invested in the story they're telling, but I'll likely be needing a break soon because of the sticky-glue climbing mechanics. So frustrating at times.

Bebpo

Banned
I know I can't be the only one who noticed this, but I search and couldn't' find anything.

That guy

is the exact same character as that "PoP" leak.

PoP leak isn't actually PoP but a future AC game?

Yes, it's a game called Osiris. It had a trailer called Osiris at one point, not sure if it was a leaked trailer or official. I think it was official and shown at a VGX or something a few years back.

Then it disappeared and re-emerged with a new trailer called Assassin's Creed Osiris, I'm pretty sure this one was leaked. Was the exact same trailer with a name change.

Osiris was likely a standalone new franchise in the vein of PoP/AC, but changed to be ACV or ACVI at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if we see it announced officially with the AC numeral at E3 this year. If not (and we get another pirate AC this year), then next year for sure. Egypt is the next major AC location. All speculation on future locations are for the entry after Egypt.

Osiris was likely a standalone new franchise in the vein of PoP/AC, but changed to be ACV or ACVI at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if we see it announced officially with the AC numeral at E3 this year. If not (and we get another pirate AC this year), then next year for sure. Egypt is the next major AC location. All speculation on future locations are for the entry after Egypt.

Those slave shanties are going to be depressing as fuck.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah the Osiris thing has been floating around for a while now. To be fair I'n not feeling an Egypt setting AT ALL, but I guess it is inevitable.

Maybe the PS360 game will be this one, considering they've been working on it for quite some time already.

Bebpo

Banned
My only problem with Egypt is I'm worried there isn't going to be much to climb besides the Sphinx and the Pyramids. Don't think they had big vertical cities or anything back then. And AC has really been lacking on the cool cities to climb and run around since ACII franchise, though Havana was alright in ACIV, just needed more landmarks.

Otoh, I'm down to go back in time to the past again, without guns and gunners on the rooftops; Also story-wise it's a unique location that's not really done in games much so it could be interesting.

PS4 owners; anyone having a problem with control and option preferences not saving?

I have to change the goddamn controls (I play with inverted) and audio settings every single time I boot up the game. Everything else saves just fine for me.

It's not the biggest problem in the world but it's a bit annoying and shouldn't be happening.

My only problem with Egypt is I'm worried there isn't going to be much to climb besides the Sphinx and the Pyramids. Don't think they had big vertical cities or anything back then. And AC has really been lacking on the cool cities to climb and run around since ACII franchise, though Havana was alright in ACIV, just needed more landmarks.

Otoh, I'm down to go back in time to the past again, without guns and gunners on the rooftops; Also story-wise it's a unique location that's not really done in games much so it could be interesting.

Victorian London bro

Throw in Jack The Ripper as well :p

Oh yes please. To quote myself:

1660s could be good as well with all the churches, and the Great Fire as a centrepiece. Victorian era is the dream though. Fog, lamplight, bobbies on the beat, brothels, pubs, docks, gangs, aristocrats, poverty, grand buildings, run-down buildings, monuments, horse-drawn carriages, awesome clothes. It's got it all

Linius

I want an Assassin's Creed game set in the golden age in Amsterdam. The fact that I'm Dutch has nothing to do with that. I swear.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Rembrandt didn't cut off his own ear. Templars did it.
I'd prever Victorion London and the French Revolution, though.

I haven't really played a lot of Assassin's Creed games, mostly because I got put off at the way they handled the Precursor's with magic apples nonsense, but that's the beauty of the series; Even if the games remain mostly the same from a gameplay perspective, the many different era's give (almost) every entrance a special feel with their own distinct atmosphere.
And climbing stuff. That's alway's a good thing.

Really should look at this title. I love the pirate-theme.
Is there a lot of that "nothing's true, everything's permitted" stuff this time?

-Amon-

I've always thought the the French Revolution would be a more interesting setting, considering the architecture ( Paris and a proper Versailles would be awesome ) and the historical settings. The Assassins / Templar struggle with the ideals involved would be easy to place there too, with the Assassins fighting with the revolution of course.

Speaking of game mechanics, probably a feudal japan setting would work too, apart from the few tall buildings.

bill0527

95% on the PS4 version and I think I am done..

Fuck these mission constraints and fuck the platinum trophy.

This is my favorite launch PS4 game out of the 6 that I purchased - AC IV, NBA 2k14, injustice, NFS Rivals, CoD ghosts and BF4.

This was also my first Assassins Creed game. I enjoyed it so much, I picked up III on the PS3 last night and going to jump right in. I know, I know, its not that good, I've read everyone's preferred order of the series, but for 16 bucks I'll give it a shot.

My big complaints for ACIV are that there are too many...FAR too goddamn many eavesdrop/tailing scenarios. Is this a staple of the series? Am I getting into more of this with AC III? The other thing that bugged me was that you get the rope dart far too late in the game. I never got used to it, and by the point you get it, I already had built my muscle memory on how to take down any foes with the tools I already had. The rope dart felt tacked on. It wasn't integral to any scenario unless you wanted to complete Abstergo challenges, whereas sleep darts, berserk darts were necessary in some situations.

Gonna take a little break before I jump back in and play Aveline and Freedom Cry. I loved ACIV, but feel a little burnt out after doing a collect-a-thon for the last week.

Something that is going to piss me off unreasonably, Sacrifice Island does not become yellow on the map when you complete it :(

Having to leave the ship and swim to shore for uncharted collectibles is a grind. The Jackdaw should be a fast-travel destination.

Something that is going to piss me off unreasonably, Sacrifice Island does not become yellow on the map when you complete it :(

Having to leave the ship and swim to shore for uncharted collectibles is a grind. The Jackdaw should be a fast-travel destination.

Agree on both those accounts. I went to Black Island first and was going crazy trying to figure out if I had missed something or if something would pop up there-- like an assassin contract, etc..-- later in the game to fully complete the area and get the color change. Also the swimming to/from the Jackdaw is crazy tedious though I have gotten pretty good and parallel parking my big ass brig up alongside the nearest point to these strips of land; still with the JD was a fast travel point however.

I also love the Kenway's Fleet minigame. That you can capture ships you take down instead of the normal repair/lower wanted option was a great idea. It certainly encourages keeping an eye out for, and taking on, some of the bigger ships with potentially larger cargo space earlier on when your own ship might not be as OP as it eventually gets. Makes for a nice challenge.

antronoid

I love how long this game has lasted for me. Not many single player games have kept my interest that long. But something about this keeps me coming back.

I meant for this game to be the game that I really sunk some time into, but the more I do (about 35% done - In Chapter 7) the more I'm becoming bored by this whole game. I'm still impressed by the presentation, but I want more.

It's not just the 'tail' missions that suck either. I'm not having fun with any aspect of the game, except for the little bit of satisfaction I get by clearing out an area of the map.

Since there's nothing else to play right now, I'll probably see it through, but I think I'll be passing on all future AC games, and certainly have no desire to play through 3 (the only one I've missed so far).

This might be my first assassin's creed game that I will finish. The atmosphere alone is wat keeps me playing. Beautiful islands and seeing ships fighting from the distant. Been playing this on PS4.

Hey all. I just started playing this on PS4. I thought it looked pretty good on my TV... a little jaggy maybe.

Then I read that there was a patch to make it 1080p? Do you know what patch version that is? I'm curious if I was playing it with the patch or without it (I literally just installed it from disk and booted it up).

Hey all. I just started playing this on PS4. I thought it looked pretty good on my TV... a little jaggy maybe.

Then I read that there was a patch to make it 1080p? Do you know what patch version that is? I'm curious if I was playing it with the patch or without it (I literally just installed it from disk and booted it up).

I'd like to know this too. Game looks nowhere near as good for me as it does in people's screenshots

Raptor

I'd like to know this too. Game looks nowhere near as good for me as it does in people's screenshots

It should be Version 1.02

1.01 was the 1080p patch.
1.02 was a patch about something else that I forgot.

It should look crisp and sharp, almost no jaggies, hell if I want to see a jaggie I have to really look hard for it.

Top Bottom