• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Redshirt

Banned
Odd question for you guys. I'm just starting sequence 6.. how much harder does the game get? I'm going for the platinum and none of the optional objectives have been too hard so far, but I'm kind of anticipating a giant difficulty spike. I'm mostly curious about main missions and some naval combat stuff like capturing forts and legendary ships. Those seem to be the only "skill" based trophies. For reference, I just captured a fort with 9 defensive objectives and my Jackdaw is a little less than 50% upgraded.

I found most of the main mission constraints to be relatively easy. It definitely helps to be full up on sleep and berserk darts as soon as the game allows.

The ones that are hard (generally tailing missions) are more tedious than challenging. The memory I had the hardest time with was Black Bart’s Gambit (10-01). The checkpoints were far apart, which made trial and error a pain in the ass.

The legendary ships seemed almost impossible at first, but once you have their unique tendencies down, they become rather simple too.

I think the most challenging the ship combat ever is is very early in the game. A fully upgraded Jackdaw is practically indestructible.

Loxley

Not going to lie, even though like many others I too have bemoaned the whole "second screen" push that Ubi has been doing lately, being able to manage my fleet and send them out on missions from my Android tablet using the AC4 app is pretty damn cool. I'm out of town right now and away from the main game, but I've already got a big chunk of money waiting for me when I get back.

Makes me really curious to see if they'll have something similar for Watch Dogs, seems like it'd be a no-brainer.

Lima

Not going to lie, even though like many others I too have bemoaned the whole "second screen" push that Ubi has been doing lately, being able to manage my fleet and send them out on missions from my Android tablet using the AC4 app is pretty damn cool. I'm out of town right now and away from the main game, but I've already got a big chunk of money waiting for me when I get back.

Makes me really curious to see if they'll have something similar for Watch Dogs, seems like it'd be a no-brainer.

That was the first "second screen experience" that was worth it and cool. Having the map open all the time with updates in pretty much real time, ability to set waypoints trough that etc.

And of course the whole fleet thing. It was like the Wii U experience without the shitty graphics and framerate.

The game is the most fun AC i have played. But it has the same problem with the controls as all the series: you have to push the sticks almost all the way to walk, the control is laggy, very little precisse. It is even more noticeable after having been playing FIFA 14 for weeks ( where the response of players to the stick is very fluid ).

Rainy Dog

Is this through the Uplay app or a specific AC4 app? Cheers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's a free AC4 app. Don't buy the paid app.

This isn't the first time they've done it (AC:B had a Facebook tie in), but yeah, I spent a week with the app and money was not an issue in the game any more.

I also got obsessed with AC Initiates for a but and trying to do the challenges posted there, but never went back to it by the time I finished the game.

Ricker

Why isn't my treasure map thing working anymore or I just forgot how to use it...I am at a location that says there is one near by....shouldn't the coordinates change when I move the cursor on the map...? it stays at like 625/733 all the time...could of sworn the numbers changed as I scrolled before...?

PriitV

Why isn't my treasure map thing working anymore or I just forgot how to use it...I am at a location that says there is one near by....shouldn't the coordinates change when I move the cursor on the map...? it stays at like 625/733 all the time...could of sworn the numbers changed as I scrolled before...?

Zoom out and then look around

Ricker

Zoom out and then look around

Ahhhh damn,that must be it,thanks...also there is this Animus fragment in Kingston that's driving me nuts...it's in a restricted section,on a rooftop,right above a columm or chimney...the problem is if I go on it,he stays crouched so I can't reach it...trying jumping from trees around and all but I can't figure out how to grab it...last one I need there.

So what's the verdict on this game? Best in the series or what? I played a couple hours of AC1 before uninstalling it from boredom, but I played through AC2 entirely and really liked it. I bought a PS4 yesterday and was thinking about getting this game since I don't have it on PC already.

Ricker

So what's the verdict on this game? Best in the series or what? I played a couple hours of AC1 before uninstalling it from boredom, but I played through AC2 entirely and really liked it. I bought a PS4 yesterday and was thinking about getting this game since I don't have it on PC already.

Yep,if you liked 2,you will love this,unless you don't like the whole Pirates thing and the sea exploration/battles and sailing with your ship...but I doubt it,its really well done.

Yep,if you liked 2,you will love this,unless you don't like the whole Pirates thing and the sea exploration/battles and sailing with your ship...but I doubt it,its really well done.

That was the coolest looking part of AC3, which I heard wasn't really good in the end. The ship battle they showed at E3 prior to launch made me wanna get it, but I just never got around to it.

Also, how deeply is the console version infected with Uplay? I was thinking about only buying Ubisoft games on my PS4 from now on because I hate Uplay so much.

PriitV

Ahhhh damn,that must be it,thanks...also there is this Animus fragment in Kingston that's driving me nuts...it's in a restricted section,on a rooftop,right above a columm or chimney...the problem is if I go on it,he stays crouched so I can't reach it...trying jumping from trees around and all but I can't figure out how to grab it...last one I need there.

You can jump whilst crouching on the chimney!

I had to go online for one of the Kingston ones since the game never tells you that perching on a branch, then holding R2 and pressing Circle makes you kind of hop off, rather than jumping off

Nearly got all the collectible aside from ones opened up by progressing through the story, only on Sequence 5. Still waiting for 1 Naval Contract and 2 Assassin missions to appear on the map though, hope it hasn't glitched

How do you get enouh credits online to buy all the abilities? I'm Level 44 and still need like 3000 credits, but am only making about 110 per match

Plunged a Man o' War HMS Dragon last night and I didn't even knew it was one, untill I had it side by side with the Jackdaw that I realize its size.

Just look at the Jackdaw for comparison:

1654086_10203016782443276_929135076_n.jpg

Sent that beast to my fleet :D

They were something to be feared initially but since sending a Man O' War to the fleet I've now found I can take 2 of them down together and just laugh in their face.

Is it time for me to tackle a legendary ship? Last time I tried it was pretty one sided. I'm now starting to work through elite upgrades, if that helps any?

I used a gamestop gift card I got for xmas this weekend I ended up getting AC4 for the PS3. How bad did I screw up? I don't own a PS4 or X1 yet and the pc version wasn't available.

Ricker

Damn that trail El Tiburon mission was a pain lol,took me about 10 times to figure then I just said F it and used sleeping darts and berserks.. :p.... 80% done.

Raptor

They were something to be feared initially but since sending a Man O' War to the fleet I've now found I can take 2 of them down together and just laugh in their face.

Is it time for me to tackle a legendary ship? Last time I tried it was pretty one sided. I'm now starting to work through elite upgrades, if that helps any?

Yes I agree, after I made that post I upgraded the jackdaw a bit more and now I can take 2 and a few frigates all together no problem at all too, the all upgraded ram is kinda OP lols.

Im still working on upgraded it all before going after Legendaries, I tried a few times on the Ghost Ship Legendary and I can take it down to a almost destroy it but I still lose because it over powers me, I need Elite Mortars and Elite Broadsides.

That Update unlocked the Loyalty Outfits but I don't like them, Templar Armor is my fav and what I use now.

someday

Banned
How do you get the elite upgrades for the Jackdaw? Is it treasure maps or do I need to farm animal skins, or something else?

How do you get the elite upgrades for the Jackdaw? Is it treasure maps or do I need to farm animal skins, or something else?

The elite upgrades are from treasure chests and divebells.

On Topic: This is my first AC game to actually get 100% or at least near it, and I have been playing with this series since the first. I fell in love with the Those That Came Before storyline all over again, which had previously been destroyed because of the AC3 ending. This game has also made me want to read pirate novels(anybody have any suggestons?), and read the AC books. All I have left to do is 3 more legendary ships, a few more fleet travels and upgrading the Jackdaw and then I be done son.

Ricker

On Topic: This is my first AC game to actually get 100% or at least near it, and I have been playing with this series since the first. I fell in love with the Those That Came Before storyline all over again, which had previously been destroyed because of the AC3 ending. This game has also made me want to read pirate novels(anybody have any suggestons?), and read the AC books. All I have left to do is 3 more legendary ships, a few more fleet travels and upgrading the Jackdaw and then I be done son.

The divebells are awful though...anyway just finished the main mission and I was glad at what I saw after the credits on the main map,this great game keeps delivering.

I'M SO FUCKING MAD

sorry

the sequence 8 mission "vainglorious bastards" is driving me fucking mad. any tips? I don't have enough money or material to update the jackdaw. I'm too weak to complete the mission. I'm too weak to even take over the fort outside of the mission. I'm not fucking grinding for hours just to beat this. what can i do? how can I get more mortars? I have none and I'm shit out of luck without them

i'm about to chuck this game out of the window. nothing in even ACIII made me this mad. FUCK

I'M SO FUCKING MAD

sorry

the sequence 8 mission "vainglorious bastards" is driving me fucking mad. any tips? I don't have enough money or material to update the jackdaw. I'm too weak to complete the mission. I'm too weak to even take over the fort outside of the mission. I'm not fucking grinding for hours just to beat this. what can i do? how can I get more mortars? I have none and I'm shit out of luck without them

i'm about to chuck this game out of the window. nothing in even ACIII made me this mad. FUCK

I found with forts you can sail in real close along the shore line (rather than front on) and basically come to a full stop up close then take out each section one by one with heavyshot/broadside. You can literally do it in one pass for almost every fort on the map. If you see the red highlights on your ship just go into fast travel mode until you're out of danger then come to a full stop again and broadside/heavyshot, rinse and repeat and until attacking the fort on foot.

This simple side/shore line approach and start/stop worked a treat for me. I think only one fort that is on a small island was difficult but for that one you just use the boarding of small ships to repair the Jackdaw while whittling down the circular island fort in between.

Yes I agree, after I made that post I upgraded the jackdaw a bit more and now I can take 2 and a few frigates all together no problem at all too, the all upgraded ram is kinda OP lols.

I'm still working on upgrading it all before going after Legendaries, I tried a few times on the Ghost Ship Legendary and I can take it down to a almost destroy it but I still lose because it over powers me, I need Elite Mortars and Elite Broadsides.

That Update unlocked the Loyalty Outfits but I don't like them, Templar Armor is my fav and what I use now.

Yep, chain shot, one swivel shot, full on ram (while bracing) and then broadside at full stop or slow movement is quite a quick kill. You can also just mortar/chain shot from behind on their tail and swivel shot them to oblivion as well.

I haven't really been updating my outfit or Jackdaw appearances much. I want to take down a legendary ship first (without the cheap boarding cheat I saw on YT). I just upgraded all my hunting stuff I wanted like health & bullets. Seems I have a lot more to go in this game but no of it feels like a grind really.

someday

Banned

Thanks. I need to get on that more. I just unlocked the diving bells.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I was having major problems with a too-strong ship blocking a harbor I needed to do a Freedom Cry mission in and I decided to see if I could just take it over man-to-man.
I swam over and started killing everyone. To my surprise the ship actually started showing battle damage and catching on fire even though I hadn't fired on it. After I killed everyone onboard it looked like I'd destroyed it. I swam back to my ship. When I returned in my ship I was able to fire on it without resistance.
This was before I saw how overpowered mortars are.

Here's what the ship looked like after I'd killed a third of the crew after sneaking aboard.
iu02oalJu9D1U.jpg

Vibranium

Banned
I finally beat the game, I'm not bothering for 100% though, it's ridiculous for Ubi to expect a lot of gamers to actually swim all the way out for the uncharted treasures. I wish you could use the rowboat or something.

All in all I had way more fun than ACIII but they need to revamp the combat and stealth ( manual crouch and prone please). Hopefully the studios listen to the clamoring around this eventually. And maybe strongly consider dropping the modern story, the Juno stuff is really going nowhere and could lead to a cliche (team-up to save Earth) thing.

I really liked Edward, his money-only attitude was refreshing and when he did warm up to the Assassins he didn't become obsessed like Connor was. Good character, a shame his son Haytham was an asshole in the end.

cjp

Please tell me that one of the shanties is the same song as the young Elizabeth Swan sings at the beginning of the first Pirates of the Caribbean film? You know the one, "it's a pirates life for me".

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Please tell me that one of the shanties is the same song as the young Elizabeth Swan sings at the beginning of the first Pirates of the Caribbean film? You know the one, "it's a pirates life for me".

Disney owns that one.
It's similar to another fake one from Treasure Island that's in the public domain, but that one isn't in the game.

I was having major problems with a too-strong ship blocking a harbor I needed to do a Freedom Cry mission in and I decided to see if I could just take it over man-to-man.
I swam over and started killing everyone. To my surprise the ship actually started showing battle damage and catching on fire even though I hadn't fired on it. After I killed everyone onboard it looked like I'd destroyed it. I swam back to my ship. When I returned in my ship I was able to fire on it without resistance.
This was before I saw how overpowered mortars are.

Here's what the ship looked like after I'd killed a third of the crew after sneaking aboard.
iu02oalJu9D1U.jpg

I'm not sure if I did that to the same boat but I had a similar scenario and did just what you describe, stealth swim up to the boat and take out enemies man2man with the back to the boat for finishing. I only did that once, the swimming part was hella slow.

mstevens

I found most of the main mission constraints to be relatively easy. It definitely helps to be full up on sleep and berserk darts as soon as the game allows.

The ones that are hard (generally tailing missions) are more tedious than challenging. The memory I had the hardest time with was Black Bart’s Gambit (10-01). The checkpoints were far apart, which made trial and error a pain in the ass.

The legendary ships seemed almost impossible at first, but once you have their unique tendencies down, they become rather simple too.

I think the most challenging the ship combat ever is is very early in the game. A fully upgraded Jackdaw is practically indestructible.

Seems pretty manageable. Thanks for the response!

What's the best way to find social events? Is there a forum that list the latest findings? It's the last single player trophy I need and I've never seen one. The annoying part is I have an event on the pause screen saying I spotted a white whale and to look for a blue whale icon. Can't find it on my world map though :(

Epcott

Beat the game. So much vagueness and loose ends. This is like the MGS 2 of the series
You only see Shawn and Co. through the eyes of an outsider. When it's all said and done, they're like "Hey faceless dude, you should totally join us. We're like, totally done here and may or may not have anything to do with hacker guy and reincarnated sage dude... enjoy the coffee... bye!"

Leaving you like Raiden, scratching your head at the end.

I see my fleet is getting assistance from my friends.
Thanks!! <3
How do I return the favor? Can I use the iOS app to do so?

Also, add me, please!! serversurfer

B4D1E

Beat the game. So much vagueness and loose ends. This is like the MGS 2 of the series
You only see Shawn and Co. through the eyes of an outsider. When it's all said and done, they're like "Hey faceless dude, you should totally join us. We're like, totally done here and may or may not have anything to do with hacker guy and reincarnated sage dude... enjoy the coffee... bye!"

Same feeling I had. I beat it saturday and thought to myself: "Did I miss something?". Glad I'm not alone. But if someone could enlighten us, please feel free.

Epcott

Same feeling I had. I beat it saturday and thought to myself: "Did I miss something?". Glad I'm not alone. But if someone could enlighten us, please feel free.

This wiki pretty much explains it.

Aita was mentioned heavily by Juno in ACIII, which is probably I forgot who he was as my mind often tries to forget that game as a whole.

As much as I hated how cheesy Mr. Hastings ramblings of information and locations you find in the Animus, I missed them in this game. It makes you read everything instead of giving narration, which (I guess is intentional) give me a sense of isolation and loneliness. Good game, though it did drag a bit near the end.

SJRB

Gold Member

The entire story is one big headscratcher, it's a string of completely random events that constantly made me ask myself "what is happening, why am I doing this?".

It's complete garbage and the finale to the Abstergo employee is like a kick in the balls. So much potential and again they throw it all away because clearly Ubi themselves are lost as to where to take this plot.

cjp

Well, that's all trophies achieved bar Sharing Is Caring and the multiplayer ones.

Finding a blue chest shouldn't be hard but I'm undecided if I can be bothered working my way through all the multiplayer stuff, sounds like a bit of a ball ache.

Raptor

All naval contracts done, all assassin missions done too, I have all teh legendary ships and to do collectables hunting, maybe a couple more hours and I will be done with the game.

I have to say this game is incredible, really love it.

Top Bottom