• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Raptor

iirc, the coords just give the location of the island, from there you have to find the actual location of the treasure based on the picture

There is no island in that location lol, that is what's messing with my head rigth now, teh coords are exactly in the water.

There is an island but not there, some meters to the right IIRC and there is a lot of vegetation.

(Chorus)
Weigh-hay and up she rises
Earlay in the morning!

What will we do with a drunken sailor,
What will we do with a drunken sailor.
What will we do with a drunken sailor,
Earlay in the morning?

(Chorus)

Put 'em in the scuppers with a hose pipe on him,
Earlay in the morning!

(Chorus)

Put him in the brig until he's sober,
Put him in the brig until he’s sober,
Put him in the brig until he's sober,
Earlay in the morning!

(Chorus)
I was talking to several of my housemates the other day and we all knew the song from childhood, in almost all cases our mothers used to sing it to us.

I was really, really happy when I found it in the game.

terrible

Banned
Whoever invented tailing missions needs to be slapped. I want to really like this game but 90% of the missions are tailing missions and I can't stand them.

Just beat it an hour or so ago. The story didn't really grab me until right after (Sequence 7)
Blackbeard's death
probably because I spaced out all the story missions due to exploring everything. It was about that point when I pretty much went through the main missions non-stop. Ubisoft did a fantastic job
showing how empty Kenway's life was, especially once all his other pirate friends died/got caught.
I liked the ending but
I was disappointed he just gave everything up and went back to England rather than join the Assassin's in the Caribbean. Also, reading about what Kenway did after returning and how he dies was pretty weak after all of the crazy stuff he did here.

The real world stuff (ending spoilers)
was pleasantly surprising. I thought the twist with the IT guy being the sage was well done and actually rather surprising.

Also a question since I never beat AC3 (because fuck AC3)
what was Juno supposed to be?

Personally I'd have to say my favorite game in the series is still AC2 probably because it was just such a massive leap from AC1 that none of the other games have been able to match. Thinking back it really makes me wish they had done a good job resolving the Desmond storyline, I feel like they made the half-assed
Lucy is a templar and then you kill her
plot twist and had no idea where to go from there. Still disappoints me to this day.

Whats the deal with the treasures locations?

I have to look to one with this coordinates: 606,835 or something, the issue here is that that location is on the damn water in the sea lols.

The map shows a little island with 4 palm trees and a Ship tail, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Do I have to look around the location everywhere?

Love this game a lot, I put 12 hours straight and Im only 27% lol.

The coordinates show the general area where the treasure is, but you have to pinpoint the actual location yourself. In that case, it's a small island with palm trees, not the main island.

In some cases the map is so weirdly done that the best way to find the treasure is to just walk around randomly :) On one island the treasure was inside a cave, and in no way did the map hint that a cave was involved in any capacity. I had the big treasure map open in iPad, trying to match it with the minimap on my WiiU gamepad, and at the same time looking at the TV trying to find anything that hints to the location. Then I just found the cave by chance.

JustDrive

So i logged in and saw the PS4 uplay 100+ friends list bug is still there.

Great...

Its absolutely shocking they havent sorted this out yet its nearly 2 months the games been out, Totally unacceptable imo and they can whistle if they think im buying watchdogs as that could be the same.

Raptor

The coordinates show the general area where the treasure is, but you have to pinpoint the actual location yourself. In that case, it's a small island with palm trees, not the main island.

In some cases the map is so weirdly done that the best way to find the treasure is to just walk around randomly :) On one island the treasure was inside a cave, and in no way did the map hint that a cave was involved in any capacity. I had the big treasure map open in iPad, trying to match it with the minimap on my WiiU gamepad, and at the same time looking at the TV trying to find anything that hints to the location. Then I just found the cave by chance.
Damn, this sounds frustating and awesome at the same time :D

Thanks for the tips.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Whats the deal with the treasures locations?

I have to look to one with this coordinates: 606,835 or something, the issue here is that that location is on the damn water in the sea lols.

The map shows a little island with 4 palm trees and a Ship tail, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Do I have to look around the location everywhere?

Love this game a lot, I put 12 hours straight and Im only 27% lol.
I remember one map was for a location you could only access after a certain point in the main missions. It wasn't an actual island, just a fast travel point for where the treasure was located. Could be the same thing happening here.

There is no island in that location lol, that is what's messing with my head rigth now, teh coords are exactly in the water.

There is an island but not there, some meters to the right IIRC and there is a lot of vegetation.

Sounds like you need the diving bell. Some of the treasures are underwater or in smuggler caves. That ship tail you mentioned is a place where you can lower the bell at.

zlatko

Banned
Can some of you please add me on Uplay to help with community events, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I have the game on PS4 and my uplay name is 'Enxess'

Wait you have to add each other on Uplay for the community stuff, not just on PSN for friend ID's ?

My PSN ID is OutlawOcelot

I'm on PS4 and still haven't seen any community challenges yet in the game. Blah. :(

Replicant

Anyone else got problem connecting to the MP? Everytime I'm about to get into a match, it always drops me out saying "You've been disconnected from the host" even though I know that's not the case because a few seconds later, I encounter similar group of people (who also apparently had been dropped out of the match). My NAT is green so I don't understand. I am using Wi-Fi though. Would using normal cable help this problem?

witness

Wow I found my first community Royal Convoy, this somewhere around 50 total hours of playing the game. I'm a few hours into my second play through. I was just sailing around the north and I spotted the level 23 frigat, which I thought was weird to see a ship like that where I was. Then I got close and the message came up saying congratulations you found a community royal convoy. I could not believe it. I think it shared it with my PSN friends, mostly Gafers, it said it would be available for 6 1/2 hours and I marked it. Sunk it and grabbed my 10k Reales which is a lot that early in the game and got me quite a few low level ship upgrades.

PS4 PSN: witness_0783

Wait you have to add each other on Uplay for the community stuff, not just on PSN for friend ID's ?

My PSN ID is OutlawOcelot

I'm on PS4 and still haven't seen any community challenges yet in the game. Blah. :(
I'll add you then if you don't mind

my PSN is Enxess if anyone wants to add me too

Ambitious

It's often funny when I dream about stuff related to things I did or thought about before going to bed the evening before. Yesterday I just rewatched the AC4 ending/credits. And just now I've remembered dreaming about encountering a royal convoy.

God, how happy I was.

malfcn

Anyways, I am into it about Sequence 4 and already got lost in some of the story and missions. The tracker notes don't really seem to help either. I guess I will have to replay some of them. I may have been tired, or it wasn't clear enough for me..

Also, it introduced so many characters at once and then just rolls with it like I know who is who. Like the Shark or something?

Gif made from my previous uploaded clip from the PS4...
nstafde

Because this was on the page that the browser loaded.

Bebpo

Banned
Finally golded all the locations and found all the buried chests outside the 2 that I can't access at this point in the story yet (sequence 8) and 1 map I guess I get from one of those areas.

I am so goddamn burned out on this game lol

Played the first story mission I'd played in a few weeks and it was surprisingly enjoyable just because it was different than all the side content I'd be doing.

I think for rebooting AC (since it's getting pretty old by now, hell when I did Kingston I realized that AC cities aren't even particularly exciting anymore; it's just check out the view on the viewpoints, look at the couple of landmarks and grab all the collectibles, do the side missions) they need to do a few things:

-CUT THE AMOUNT OF COLLECTIBLES. There's nothing wrong with having this stuff and having lots of side content like naval contracts, assassin contracts, templar hunts...there's just way too much bloat. Too much is the same thing over and over and it's just soul destroying after a while. Put more meaningful side content in and cut the majority of side content out.

-Fix the main missions. Get rid of Eavesdrop mission. Stop making the stealth 95% linear scripted. Stop making everything in the missions 90% scripted. Stop having stupid optional objectives that play into the 100% synch and have nothing to do with the mission and instead actually distract you from whatever design the main mission is trying to convey because you're constantly running off mission to put some alligators to sleep or something.

-Work on the controls & combat; like everyone says every game.

The series definitely needs a reboot at this point from a gameplay structure and gameplay design standpoint. Needs to go back to basics and make things exciting again.

ACIV's good stuff and I'm really happy with it. But 37 hours in (actually probably way more since it doesn't count the dozen hours I spent on kenway's fleet on the ios app to grind money and get the outfit), I'm just completely burnt out and I'll be waiting 6-12 months before I boot up Freedom's Cry because I really need an AC break after all the last couple of games. It's one thing to have yearly AC games like the AC2 series where they're 15 hour games and 30 hours if you 100% them, but the last couple of games being 50-60 hours long to 100% them + each having a 5-8 hour expansion pack on top of that...it's just way too damn much AC on a yearly basis.

-Fix the main missions. Get rid of Eavesdrop mission. Stop making the stealth 95% linear scripted. Stop making everything in the missions 90% scripted. Stop having stupid optional objectives that play into the 100% synch and have nothing to do with the mission and instead actually distract you from whatever design the main mission is trying to convey because you're constantly running off mission to put some alligators to sleep or something.

The optional objectives only harm the game at this point. It's best just to ignore them, then you can do the main objective just the way you want to. 100% sync seems to be pretty much meaningless anyway, you don't really lose anything in-game if you settle for 80%.

GlamFM

Banned
Oh my god I love this game!

I already sunk well over 10 hours into it.

One question though - I´m trying to go for 100% and find everything and I´m not sure if I´m using the tools/map right.

Do I always have to zoom all the way in on the map to find "smaller" stuff like animals I have to hunt? That seems super annoying to me.

Shandy

Do I always have to zoom all the way in on the map to find "smaller" stuff like animals I have to hunt? That seems super annoying to me.

Change the icon display to side activities and it should show animal locations without needing to zoom in. At least, I think it's side activities display. One of them does it, I know that much.

zlatko

Banned
Is the community challenge working fo ryou guys on PS4?

It is for me. Shows we had to/have to do 40000000 xxx (not sure how many) assassinations combined by the 22nd of this month. Unlocked me an outfit for Edward doing it.

Lima

Anyone have the season pass. Is Freedom Cry the only SP content or is more coming? It just looks light for a season pass.

Freedom Cry, a bunch of small cosmetic DLC's, Blackbeards Wrath MP DLC and one more unannounced MP DLC. That is all.

Raptor

Is the community challenge working fo ryou guys on PS4?

It is for me. Shows we had to/have to do 40000000 xxx (not sure how many) assassinations combined by the 22nd of this month. Unlocked me an outfit for Edward doing it.

I have that one too but when I logged in yesterday I think it was at 24% still, I will get the outfit? or Im screwed?

End credits scrolling... the ending was kind of sudden, I didn't realize I was already doing the final mission. And I just found a new thing to collect too. Sticky notes. Not sure why I missed them before...

What are the Sticky Notes?

:O

Small notes spread around the Abstergo offices.

52 hours spent playing the game, 91% done, and I think it's time to move to next game at this point. I already didn't play for two weeks before today... Shame abiut the legendary ships, I guess I'll never beat them after all.

Loxley

I received AC4 as a Christmas gift and finally got around to playing it; man...oh man...I think I love this game. After giving up on AC3 barely half-way through, I'm stunned by how quick a turn-around in quality AC4 is. Yeah, the game isn't perfect. Calling the shear amount of missions which require you to tail someone "excessive" would be an understatement. But as a whole, this is easily my favorite entry in the franchise alongside Brotherhood. Keyway is a fun protagonist and the supporting characters are all great.

You know, I wouldn't mind at all if Ubisoft created a spin-off franchise with Black Flag. I mean, the pirate and naval mechanics are so well-executed that it would be a total waste to just ditch them as soon as the series enters a new time period down the road. Maybe phase out the "Assassin's Creed" title and just straight-up make a sequel titled "Black Flag 2". Really push and polish the naval mechanics further, while reducing the focus on the whole assassin aspect of it all.

Of course then you may run into the problem of having two franchises that play relatively similar to each other at a foundational level. But hey, perhaps change up the melee combat mechanics for Black Flag 2 to be more, I dunno, piratey?

RedRaider

Hey guys, first time poster;long time lurker to this thread here. Hoping to get some help with the "Sharing is Caring" achievement on Xbox One. I am playing tonight and if you can help add me to your list and I will check my followers to add you.

Gamertag - RedRa1der06

Of course then you may run into the problem of having two franchises that play relatively similar to each other at a foundational level. But hey, perhaps change up the melee combat mechanics for Black Flag 2 to be more, I dunno, piratey?

As fun as the pirating aspect is in AC4 at first, it does get repeative pretty quickly. Soon you lose the motivation to capture ships and just sink them instead.... I dunno, the graphics engine of AC4 would be great for more Pirates! type game, and the ship to ship battle mechanics are pretty well balanced, but you'd have to turn the game into more (action) RPG type deal in order to keep people interested. And increase the overworld map size from 10km x 10km to much bigger. Pirates! felt bigger because there were more towns, and the wind direction actually affected your travel speed.

edit:
Well, AC is kind of lighthearted fast-moving mass murder action game, and I guess it doesn't matter if the various nuances of the plot are difficult to follow, the characters come and go without much explanation, and the climaxes of both the modern day and historical stories leave you with a bit of a "huh... was that it?" feeling. But for a RPG game that wouldn't fly. Ubi really needs better people directing the cut scenes for one...

Redshirt

Banned
An open-world pirate game like Black Flag but with RPG elements and trading would be amazing, I think. Also, do away with the fleet management mini game and give us fully realized fleet management.

As is, I really want to love AC4, but I think I hate it, which is rather sad since I'm about to 1K it; such mixed emotions.

Things I hate:

+ Repetitiveness in this game is at an absurd level.
+ Free-running is still unrefined (yet the game sometimes demands precision while doing it).
+ Combat is still tedious.
+ Tail missions are mostly horrible.
+ The gameplay aspects of missions, particularly main missions, are mailed in and uninspired.
+ The sci-fi aspect of the AC story has overstayed its welcome.

Things I love or at least like:

+ So beautiful, even on my inferior Xbox One.
+ The music and the shanties are amazing.
+ Ship combat is a lot of fun; although I wish it were more difficult.
+ Social items were frustrating at times but exciting.
+ The emotional throughline of the story was actually quite good.
+ I really liked Kenway, Adewale and especially Mary.
+
Carrying Mary's body out of the prison moved me; one of the better video game moments of the year IMHO.

I said to myself that AC3 was my last AC, and I'm feeling that way again with AC4; however, I LOVE open-world games and Ubisoft pulled off that aspect of the game in a promising way. If AC5 is open world too and looks exciting, I'll probably buy it.

mstevens

I grabbed this game recently and I like most of it. Ironically, the thing I hate most about this game is naval combat. To me, it is extremely clunky, there are too many things to keep track of at once, steering and aiming and switching guns. I'm not sure if I've ever been so bad at something that everyone else seems to think is doable. I must be missing something.

Radec

damn, I got like 300k rales on my mobile fleet.
KuGsj.gif

I grabbed this game recently and I like most of it. Ironically, the thing I hate most about this game is naval combat. To me, it is extremely clunky, there are too many things to keep track of at once, steering and aiming and switching guns. I'm not sure if I've ever been so bad at something that everyone else seems to think is doable. I must be missing something.

1. Upgarde Mortars
2. Use Mortars while at max range. Hold into your position and keep blasting while they're moving towards you.
3. When your front cannons are in range, use it.
4. Go side by side with the enemy ship and blast with side canons while using the target canons.
5. Circle around it if it is still alive.

Maxing mortar upgrade is awesome especially against Forts and Man O' Wars.

It gets easier after you upgrade your ship a bit. But it does get a bit chaotic when there are multiple enemy ships and big waves...

mstevens

The problem is I'm early on in "Raise the black flag" so I can't really get any upgrades. They just kinda throw you in and it's a little overwhelming.

Redshirt

Banned
Naval combat seemed hard at first to me too, but that changed with practice and the upgrades, which make a huge difference.

When I first tried, beating HMS Fearless & Royal Sovereign seemed impossible, but I finally got that legendary this morning, and it wasn't too bad this time around.

Top Bottom