• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

All naval contracts done, all assassin missions done too, I have all teh legendary ships and to do collectables hunting, maybe a couple more hours and I will be done with the game.

I have to say this game is incredible, really love it.

Same here. I can't stop doing all the side quests. There's just so much to do, so much to see. I love it.

Well, that's all trophies achieved bar Sharing Is Caring and the multiplayer ones.

Finding a blue chest shouldn't be hard but I'm undecided if I can be bothered working my way through all the multiplayer stuff, sounds like a bit of a ball ache.

You can do the majority of them in single player mode, play Wolfpack by yourself and aim to get a lot of the bonus objectives and youll get a lot of XP. Less of a grind than hearing kids shout on PSN.

Man, performance is still really bad on PC. It actually seems to have gotten worse, I had to tone down some settings since last I played it.

Raptor

You can do the majority of them in single player mode, play Wolfpack by yourself and aim to get a lot of the bonus objectives and youll get a lot of XP. Less of a grind than hearing kids shout on PSN.
What do you mean by this?

You can get the MP thropies by playing MP alone or still against other people?

I want to truly 100% this and get the Platinum but if I have to dael with all the crap of MP stuff Id rather pass.

Lima

What do you mean by this?

You can get the MP thropies by playing MP alone or still against other people?

I want to truly 100% this and get the Platinum but if I have to dael with all the crap of MP stuff Id rather pass.

There are two trophies that you need other people for.

Sacred Land and Elevator to the Gallows

The rest can all be done by yourself playing the Wolfpack coop mode alone.

Raptor

Thanks, god damn it, I guess I will have to do it.

Nothing to play till Second Son gets released.

cjp

Yeah, I started the Wolfpack mode today. Managed to get to around level 13 but annoyingly I got booted out of a couple of modes and lost XP because the Ubi servers went down. Don't think it was my own connection because I stayed signed in to PSN.

Are these DLC trophies? I don't see them on the main list for AC4.

Edit: Yup, appears to be DLC content on PS4 so it shouldn't be required for Platinum.

am I the only one that found the ending
disappointing and underwhelming? I guess it was good in a kind of bittersweet way, but I'm so used to the AC series delivering when it comes to ending mindfucks. Even when they don't, they usually deliver like in AC: Revelations. Iunno, I was expecting something more maybe...

zlatko

Banned
I found this game overstayed its welcome. I would've loved if it was more like Tomb Raider in its collectibles and how much repetivity there is.

It's just too much. It's not that the tasks are horrible, but they quickly lose their appeal. Hundreds of chests and fragments? Come on. There's no fun in that.

The combat is mash happy, and 80% of the story line quests were "follow this guy." Ugh.

Ship combat was fun, shanties are cool, tons of unlockable stuff, cool phone app game to mess with at work, lovable main character, not a horrible plot, etc made the game good overall to me.

The ending was blah, and as always the Abstergo/real life stuff just sucks. I don't care anymore. Drop it altogether.

This game worries me for Watch Dogs. 900 cell phone hack mini quests over and over on a world map? Count me out. I'll rent the game and just plow through the mainline story to call it donesies if that's what they plan to do with that series.

Where has the creativity in Ubisoft gone? It can't be that hard to make 5-10 interesting quests and only have the player do them 5-10 times. I'd rather do that for side quests and have fun then 100's of kicking open boxes. I wanted to get 100% completion on AC4, but I just gave up and found myself forcing myself to play to finish the final acts.

cjp

I found this game overstayed its welcome. I would've loved if it was more like Tomb Raider in its collectibles and how much repetivity there is.

It's just too much. It's not that the tasks are horrible, but they quickly lose their appeal. Hundreds of chests and fragments? Come on. There's no fun in that.

The combat is mash happy, and 80% of the story line quests were "follow this guy." Ugh.

Ship combat was fun, shanties are cool, tons of unlockable stuff, cool phone app game to mess with at work, lovable main character, not a horrible plot, etc made the game good overall to me.

The ending was blah, and as always the Abstergo/real life stuff just sucks. I don't care anymore. Drop it altogether.

This game worries me for Watch Dogs. 900 cell phone hack mini quests over and over on a world map? Count me out. I'll rent the game and just plow through the mainline story to call it donesies if that's what they plan to do with that series.

Where has the creativity in Ubisoft gone? It can't be that hard to make 5-10 interesting quests and only have the player do them 5-10 times. I'd rather do that for side quests and have fun then 100's of kicking open boxes. I wanted to get 100% completion on AC4, but I just gave up and found myself forcing myself to play to finish the final acts.

Agreed, sums up my experience. Nothing to the combat other than hitting 2 buttons, repeatedly. Made me question the use for some of Edward's upgrades; I didn't see any difference in the top upgrades compared to the starting equipment.

Oh you are one of those poor people. Gotcha.

I guess so. I just don't have the money to spend on "DLC" for an already tacked on multiplayer mode that I don't really want to even experience in the first place.

Still, thanks for the thoughtful and useful post, I can only hope the rest of your insights are as groundbreaking.

Raptor

La Dama Negra was a pain in the ass, I wish I would have taken down the 2 legendaries together first so I could have that Ram upgrade for the other 3.

The single player is coming as a stand-alone downloadable, but not on the Xbox platforms?

I bought AC4 on the 360, but it would be nice to play anything else (the DLC) on the X1...shame :/

mstevens

Finally got 100% of the trophies (DLC too). Is there any word on if more DLC is planned and what the timetable might be for that?

Raptor

Mayan Outfit is out there looking but sadly the lower part doesn't flap properly and so I don't like it that much, Templar is superior for that reason alone.

gYzlCsr.jpg

bill0527

Ok I need to vent. I couldn't find an official Freedom Cry thread, so I guess I will post it here.

Freedom Cry gameplay, but not story spoilers ahead.
Freedom Cry gameplay, but not story spoilers ahead.

I am experiencing some of the most frustration I've ever had in a video game trying to 100% Sync memory 6. The one where, to 100% sync, you must complete all 5 investigations, in addition to not killing anyone.

This is the glitchiest goddamn section of a videogame I have ever seen and I am tearing my hair out over this. If I had a physical copy of this game, I would have obliterated it by now.

So there are 2 constraints here for 100% Sync:
1. Complete all 5 investigations
2. Do not kill anyone

The first problem with this mission is that you have a long setup before you can get to the investigations. You have to run all the way across the map and evesdrop on a harbormaster conversation before you can even get to the investigations. The harbormaster is deep inside a barn that is surrounded by at least 8-10 guards, with a couple of groups of those guards patrolling. And you can't kill any of them. OH BUT YOU CAN AT LEAST GO UNARMED AND KNOCK THEM OUT AM I RITE? You aren't killing them, so knocking them out should be fair game. NOPE. WRONG. Knocking them out apparently registers them as kills. No 100% for me. Oh..and you have no way of knowing this until you finish the whole damn mission and see that you didn't get the little check box for that constraint. And that's another gripe...this whole damn mission from beginning to end can take upwards of at least 35 minutes, maybe a little less once you get the hang of doing things. You can actually waste 35+ minutes of your life thinking you're accomplishing something only to find out that knocking out guards means you have killed them.

After some trial and error (lots), I figured out the only way to do this is to use the firecrackers to draw as many guards as possible off the backside of the barn, climb up into one of those 2 openings on the backside of that barn and hope you don't get spotted. Then get close enough to eavesdrop.

Now this is just the setup mind you....before we even get to the glitch filled investigations.

What I figured out is, the best way to get 100% is to do the constraints in separate playthroughs. Again, after lots of trial and error. There is no way possible to complete both constraints without killing anyone. Play through it once, complete all 5 investigations and kill everything in your path. Then play through it again and complete only the three easiest investigations to allow you to complete the mission since you only need 3/5 investigations to finish it.

The 3 easiest investigations are as follows (the other 2, you will have to kill someone):

1. Courier on a boat south of that barn where you eavesdropped to start the mission. There's only one guard on the docks and he doesn't give a shit about you. You run to the boat, the courier spots you, jumps off the boat and tries to swim to shore to get away from you. This shit glitched on me 3 times. If you swim out to the boat at a certain angle, the courier will not jump off the boat. He will only stand there and do nothing. You can't kill him, can't hit him, certainly can't loot him to get the note you need to complete this. He's there, but the game doesn't register him being there. This happened to me twice. On my third attempt, of restarting the game, and having to go through all the harbormaster eavesdropping shit again to get to this point, I finally got this guy to move off the boat. I swam right behind him to shore, tackled him..and it wouldn't let me loot the note. The only way you can loot the note is to kill him or knock him out and we've already established that knocking him out registers as a kill ... so fuck what now??

2. The other easy investigation is another eavesdrop in the middle of the city. This one is very easy and had no glitches. Just stay up high and move along the trees and buildings as much as possible until the very end, then jump behind the guys and duck behind a fence next to them until they finish their conversation.

3. The last of the only investigations where you don't have to kill anyone is running to find a messenger on the other side of the map opposite the eavesdropping barn and courier boat. The glitches here are unbelievable. The game registers exactly the spot where the messenger is supposed to be, but the messenger is never there. I've sat there for 20 minutes with eagle vision on waiting for this guy to show up, and he never does. Finally I realized that his actually location is about 20 meters away sitting hidden against a house...that's where he is supposed to be but the little icon showing where he is, is actually nowhere near him. But he's always not there. I had to restart this one 3 times to get him to finally show up, and had the game lockup and I had to reboot once.

Again, the problem is, with all these glitches you've got a long, very long fucking setup before you encounter them and you have to do it all again each and every time if this shit glitches. I have problem spent 4-5 hours just trying to 100% this scenario alone before I said FUCK ALL THIS SHIT. Goddamn Mother Fuckers.

sakipon

Just to check something about the standalone version of Freedom Cry. Does it have hunting? I checked out the gameplay trailer and there's no animals shown at all. I also tried skimming through some reviews but they mostly seem to discuss the story.

Personally I'd like to have a new Assassin's Creed game without hunting, I don't feel it fits the series. If this doesn't offer that, I'll back away and go back to Ezio.

bill0527

Just to check something about the standalone version of Freedom Cry. Does it have hunting? I checked out the gameplay trailer and there's no animals shown at all. I also tried skimming through some reviews but they mostly seem to discuss the story.

Personally I'd like to have a new Assassin's Creed game without hunting, I don't feel it fits the series. If this doesn't offer that, I'll back away and go back to Ezio.

There are animals and you can hunt but it is completely 100% optional. There are no mission constraints and no upgrades that require you to hunt. Its only there if you want to make some money.

This may be an odd jump in logic, but I liked the open water sailing stuff in this game so much that I'm taking actual sailing lessons this spring.

Lucifon

I've got AC4 on the WiiU but haven't finished it yet. Thinking of picking up freedom cry standalone on my ps4. Do you need to have finished the original game first in terms of the story? Or is it completely separate?

SJRB

Gold Member
I've got AC4 on the WiiU but haven't finished it yet. Thinking of picking up freedom cry standalone on my ps4. Do you need to have finished the original game first in terms of the story? Or is it completely separate?

It's completely seperate. If you know who Adewale is you're good to go, Freedom Cry takes place in a completely different location.

Finally have a good amount of free time to sink my teeth into this game. Enjoying it so far. Looks like it should keep me plenty busy until Infamous comes out.

Just like in AC3 I'm terrible at these ship battles in AC4 I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Am I even going to be able to beat this game if I suck at these ship battles?

Just like in AC3 I'm terrible at these ship battles in AC4 I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Am I even going to be able to beat this game if I suck at these ship battles?

You'll have a tough time with it. Ship battles are a major part of the game. What are you having trouble with?

someday

Banned
The ship battles are kind of a bitch until you upgrade it a bit. It took me a while to realize what those symbols meant at the top so I knew I needed metal or more wood to upgrade certain things.

Man, what a really fun game. I loved the Kenway character, and found his whole arc super engaging toward the halfway point to end. Definitely one of the better stories of the series. I also dug the super self-parody modern day bits, although I have no idea where they could take that in the next game

Redshirt

Banned
No, you don't have to be on the side. There is a chain attack for forward firing as well as mortar attacks, and Y/Triangle drops fire barrels. Also, you don't need to be parallel to use your broadside cannons.

No, you don't have to be on the side. There is a chain attack for forward firing as well as mortar attacks, and Y/Triangle drops fire barrels. Also, you don't need to be parallel to use your broadside cannons.

How do you fire straight then? When I press the aim button (L2) it only focuses left or right

Redshirt

Banned
Use the right analog stick to change your perspective.

When facing forward, L2 gives your targeting for the chain shot.

Facing rear, you'll get the fire barrel targeting, and facing to either side will give you broadside targeting.

Mortar fire can be used from any perspective.

Use the right analog stick to change your perspective.

When facing forward, L2 gives your targeting for the chain shot.

Facing rear, you'll get the fire barrel targeting, and facing to either side will give you broadside targeting.

Mortar fire can be used from any perspective.

Thanks!

Edit: wow, I'm actually somewhat enjoying the sea portion of the game now

shandy706

Just got and started playing this yesterday. The whole Pirate thing has me excited.

I'm 2 1/2 hours in and it already feels way too repetitive. I get tired of chasing and tackling people. Bleh

Also, the free flowing controls act stupid sometimes. Like hitting drop/down over a platform and dropping right past it...hate retracing my footsteps to get somewhere.

Does it pick up? I fear I'm already bored of it :(.

Just got and started playing this yesterday. The whole Pirate thing has me excited.

I'm 2 1/2 hours in and it already feels way too repetitive. I get tired of chasing and tackling people. Bleh

Also, the free flowing controls act stupid sometimes. Like hitting drop/down over a platform and dropping right past it...hate retracing my footsteps to get somewhere.

If you're not enjoying this game 2.5 into it I don't think you'll like the game, I'm about 18 hours into and I can say you pretty much get an idea of the game early on

Also, I will can say this is my favorite game of the series, just having so much fun with it. I just don't know if I could play another full game of pirates

Have you gotten far enough to finally get your own ship and access to sailing the open seas? That's where the game really started to shine for me. I had weeks between booting up the game until I was my own Cap'n, but once that happened, it was hard to put down.

I can't help thinking that the game is at its best when it forgets it's an Assassin's Creed game, and is all about pirates and swashbuckling instead of Assassins, Templars, and eavesdropping missions. Though I probably just want something more along the lines of Sid Meier's Pirates! or Sea Dogs with this engine.

SJRB

Gold Member

The game's mission structure is pretty much copy-pasted throughout the entire game and it will not get any better. In fact, it only gets worse because of how repetitive everything is.

shandy706

Have you gotten far enough to finally get your own ship and access to sailing the open seas? That's where the game really started to shine for me. I had weeks between booting up the game until I was my own Cap'n, but once that happened, it was hard to put down.

I can't help thinking that the game is at its best when it forgets it's an Assassin's Creed game, and is all about pirates and swashbuckling instead of Assassins, Templars, and eavesdropping missions. Though I probably just want something more along the lines of Sid Meier's Pirates! or Sea Dogs with this engine.

I'm going to try and press on till I have my own ship.

malfcn

I don't know what it is tonight. This game looks awful for me on XB1. Maybe my eyes are tired, or something is wrong. Normally I think the game looks pretty crisp. But when I loaded it, it was like the depth of field was all off. Everything was blurry like vaseline was covering the screen. Quit and will reload in a bit to see if it was a bug. My eyes do feel tired, so maybe it is just me.

Thankfully, the game is sharp again.

spekkeh

Banned

Same here, and yep same here.

Seems like I got suckered in in what is essentially a reskin of previous AC games. Sailing so far also seems very uninspired. Apparently ships can now sail in every direction.

Oh well, will keep on playing it for a few hours at least so I get my money's worth. I really don't think Ubisoft's conveyor belt games are sustainable in the long run though, although for some reason they still get high scores so what do I know.

edit: oh Teasing_Pink's post is definitely hopeful. I'll stop judging the book by its cover for now then.

Major sequence 12 help needed

before the "ever a splinter" mission at the observatory jungle area you have to take out two level 35 ships, this is damn near impossible and I've leveled up a lot of my ship parts except the parts where you need a plan to unlock them. I really don't feel like grinding for hours to get those max parts. What should I do?

Edit: I can avoid the fight, thank god

Same here, and yep same here.

Seems like I got suckered in in what is essentially a reskin of previous AC games. Sailing so far also seems very uninspired. Apparently ships can now sail in every direction.

Oh well, will keep on playing it for a few hours at least so I get my money's worth. I really don't think Ubisoft's conveyor belt games are sustainable in the long run though, although for some reason they still get high scores so what do I know.

edit: oh Teasing_Pink's post is definitely hopeful. I'll stop judging the book by its cover for now then.

Noticed that about the sailing...in AC3 sailing directly into the wind required a lot of tacking, and that seems almost nonexistent this time around, which is a bit disappointing.

Maybe I'm just an easy touch when it comes to the piracy stuff. I've enjoyed exploring all the small islands, getting into naval battles, upgrading my ship, hunting on land and sea, and doing the buried treasure hunts. That end of things provides enough variety that by the time I need to do a story mission or hit one of the big cities, I don't mind the standard Assassin's Creed city mission shenanigans, which are very much recycled.

But as I mentioned before, I'd love it if they dropped all of the standard assassin's creed crap and spun this off into its own thing, more focused on the piracy and commerce in a sandbox sort of environment. I like AC4 in spite of it being an Assassin's Creed game, not because it's Assassin's Creed. That may not be the most ringing endorsement. Suppose it just depends on how much you can stomach the AC standards in between the other things.

Just beat the game, 25 hours, the most I've ever spent on an AC game and also my favorite in the series

I don't think it's coincidence the best AC game had very little to do with the convoluted B movie AC story, the series is what it is because of the locations and gameplay not the Templar/Assassins/Aliens story

Top Bottom