• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

Prezhulio

$15 video game discount from amazon has me tempted to order it right now....how's performance on ps3? i thought ac2 was fine on ps3, but with my new gaming pc i was planning on waiting for that release, though if the horseshit ubisoft drm is still going on then forget it.

dwebo

So... has anyone on the ps3 version gotten any trophies for this or is my game bugged? I just entered Rome, so I figure I should've gotten the first two story trophies already, and I did a 10 kill streak in the training... but nothing's popped yet.

Hmm :-/

dwebo said:
So... has anyone on the ps3 version gotten any trophies for this or is my game bugged? I just entered Rome, so I figure I should've gotten the first two story trophies already, and I did a 10 kill streak in the training... but nothing's popped yet.

Hmm :-/
Sounds like it's bugged. You're supposed to get a trophy within a minute of starting the Story Mode. :lol

dwebo

Revolutionary said:
Sounds like it's bugged. You're supposed to get a trophy within a minute of starting the Story Mode. :lol
Yeah after AC2 I was wondering where the hell all the notifications were... :lol Damnit guess I'll try restarting.

edit: ugh that first story trophy popped now. Weird - never had this happen to me before
edit2: oh god why is there no skip cutscene button

fernoca

Wow, so far not disappointed at all. I kinda feel bad for not getting the limited edition, but still got my code, poster and comic (which I wasn't even expecting for the preorder). :) [quality of the comic is also better than I though, cardstock cover, good paper and contains some artwork at the end]

If it continues as awesome as it is, this will be my favorite game of this year; and I haven't tried multiplayer yet.

2uh2xp5.jpg

(poster's laminated int the wall ;p)

While I'm looking forward to playing this game, quite a lot even, part of me feels like it shouldn't exist. I loved the feeling I'd been getting all through Assassin's Creed II, how Ezio was only a small piece in a puzzle that spanned more years and people than we could possibly imagine. The way his story ended in AC2, the way it was revealed that, after all his suffering, he was just a vessel for Desmond, really made that feeling hit home for me. I wouldn't have minded leaving Ezio there, in the bowels of the Vatican, without ever going back to him. He'd grown as a character, but in the end, he too was just a pawn. In my opinion, this was a fantastic way to end his story.

So, while I'm absolutely looking forward to scrambling over rooftops again, I can't help but feel that the rest of Ezio's life will be rather... pointless in comparison to the revelations we saw in AC2. Unless, of course, his role as "The Prophet" is not finished yet.

Amir0x

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
While I'm looking forward to playing this game, quite a lot even, part of me feels like it shouldn't exist. I loved the feeling I'd been getting all through Assassin's Creed II, how Ezio was only a small piece in a puzzle that spanned more years and people than we could possibly imagine. The way his story ended in AC2, the way it was revealed that, after all his suffering, he was just a vessel for Desmond, really made that feeling hit home for me. I wouldn't have minded leaving Ezio there, in the bowels of the Vatican, without ever going back to him. He'd grown as a character, but in the end, he too was just a pawn. In my opinion, this was a fantastic way to end his story.

So, while I'm absolutely looking forward to scrambling over rooftops again, I can't help but feel that the rest of Ezio's life will be rather... pointless in comparison to the revelations we saw in AC2. Unless, of course, his role as "The Prophet" is not finished yet.

apparently the end of AC:B is even more insane

but I don't care about Assassin's Creed's storyline since it's so batshit insane. I really like soaking up the atmosphere these games have, unparalleled. And challenge tombin' it up :D

TripOpt55

So should I get the DLC thing from the PS Store before I even start the game? Will it then be worked in as I play through or something? I'm completely unfamiliar with this launch day DLC type stuff.

dwebo

TripOpt55 said:
So should I get the DLC thing from the PS Store before I even start the game? Will it then be worked in as I play through or something? I'm completely unfamiliar with this launch day DLC type stuff.
I dunno, I downloaded it a few days ago and when I was playing today my trophies were bugged. I'd download it after you get the game to be on the safe side - it's only 330mb anyway.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
So is Lens of Truth to be trusted, dumping all over the PS3 version? I know the general consensus on LoT's comparisons is "lololol", but inquiring minds want to know. Wasn't Ubi talking up how much better the PS3 version would be this time around? What happened to that?

Also, are there any bonuses to be had for ACII savedata on your HDD? If not, maybe I'll just go 360 this time around...

hamchan

-Mikey- said:
The Quick Look is amazing and I'm about ready to grab my keys and pick this up.:lol Thing is I've never played an Assassin's Creed game before and from what Ryan was saying in the QL if you've never played AC2 then you'll be lost in Brotherhood. Should I just go in regardless or play AC2?

Play AC2 first, one of the best games from last year.

Amir0x said:
apparently the end of AC:B is even more insane

but I don't care about Assassin's Creed's storyline since it's so batshit insane. I really like soaking up the atmosphere these games have, unparalleled. And challenge tombin' it up :D
Hah, I love Assassin's Creed storyline because it's so batshit insane. :p And indeed, the atmosphere these games have, especially Assassin's Creed II is amazing. Only a few other games have managed that.

Incidentally, that's another thing I'm worried about with AC: B. Rome's just one city. I doubt there'll be locations as 'haunting' as the Wetlands, or as plain beautiful as Venice from ACII.

Man, now I can't wait to play this game, though, just to see how it stacks up. If that ending is an even bigger mindfuck than ACII's, I'm in for one heck of a treat.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
-Mikey- said:
The Quick Look is amazing and I'm about ready to grab my keys and pick this up.:lol Thing is I've never played an Assassin's Creed game before and from what Ryan was saying in the QL if you've never played AC2 then you'll be lost in Brotherhood. Should I just go in regardless or play AC2?

You are going to be lost as hell just jumping straight in to Brotherhood. The game has a recap but it is not sufficient enough to prepare you for the mindfuck that this series contains. It's only there as a refresh or for people who have no idea what they're getting into. Brotherhood spoils the "WHAT. THE. FUCK?" ending of AC2 right off the bat.

Grab AC2 first, at least. Playing AC1 is optional but recommended. If you skip AC1, read a recap.

Amir0x

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Hah, I love Assassin's Creed storyline because it's so batshit insane. :p And indeed, the atmosphere these games have, especially Assassin's Creed II is amazing. Only a few other games have managed that.

Incidentally, that's another thing I'm worried about with AC: B. Rome's just one city. I doubt there'll be locations as 'haunting' as the Wetlands, or as plain beautiful as Venice from ACII.

Man, now I can't wait to play this game, though, just to see how it stacks up. If that ending is an even bigger mindfuck than ACII's, I'm in for one heck of a treat.

Yeah, but ROME is massive. For me, the story is too ridiculous and poorly written to care about, but i can get into the time periods I visit and the family/drama that goes on. So I tend to just focus on that and pretend it's not all just one big
ridiculous 2012 Mayan Conspiracy Thriller

fernoca said:
Wow, so far not disappointed at all. I kinda feel bad for not getting the limited edition, but still got my code, poster and comic (which I wasn't even expecting for the preorder). :) [quality of the comic is also better than I though, cardstock cover, good paper and contains some artwork at the end]

If it continues as awesome as it is, this will be my favorite game of this year; and I haven't tried multiplayer yet.

2uh2xp5.jpg

(poster's laminated int the wall ;p)

I'm sure I already know the answer to this, but are the posters actually signed? I was assuming not, but my posters have the names signed in different positions than yours.

peull

downloading the free DLC for the ps3 version before installing the game did not bug trophies, I get them like it should

Amir0x said:
Yeah, but ROME is massive. For me, the story is too ridiculous and poorly written to care about, but i can get into the time periods I visit and the family/drama that goes on. So I tend to just focus on that and pretend it's not all just one big
ridiculous 2012 Mayan Conspiracy Thriller
What can I say, I'm a sucker for ridiculous storylines. Anything that has that "larger than life"-quality to it, while still remaining semi-believable, gets an automatic thumbs up in my book

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
dwebo said:
Yeah after AC2 I was wondering where the hell all the notifications were... :lol Damnit guess I'll try restarting.

edit: ugh that first story trophy popped now. Weird - never had this happen to me before
edit2: oh god why is there no skip cutscene button

Go in the pause menu, you can skip cutscenes there.

Aokage said:
So is Lens of Truth to be trusted, dumping all over the PS3 version? I know the general consensus on LoT's comparisons is "lololol", but inquiring minds want to know. Wasn't Ubi talking up how much better the PS3 version would be this time around? What happened to that?

Also, are there any bonuses to be had for ACII savedata on your HDD? If not, maybe I'll just go 360 this time around...

Read the reviews instead of trusting one site that has no idea what it's talking about. You'll get your answer there.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
peull said:
downloading the free DLC for the ps3 version before installing the game did not bug trophies, I get them like it should
Same, just got my first trophy.

AC2 was phenomenal, and it sounds like AC3 is just as good if not better.

So, one question: Should I get this on PS3 or the 360? Any differences in performance or features?

dwebo

Ether_Snake said:
Go in the pause menu, you can skip cutscenes there.
Thanks, missed that. Oddly, it sometimes doesn't show up until a few seconds into the cutscene. edit: Or maybe just the
Catherina Sforza sex scene :lol

NullPointer said:
AC2 was phenomenal, and it sounds like AC3 is just as good if not better.

So, one question: Should I get this on PS3 or the 360? Any differences in performance or features?
Setting aside the fact that this isn't AC3, I've heard both versions are about the same. The PS3 version apparently has some visual flaws, but nothing serious, I think. It depends on which system you enjoy playing most.

The PS3 does get a free downloadable bonus mission, but from what I've heard it's more filler than actual content.

mr.beers

Fuck you GiantBomb Quick Look!

I noticed Ryan bought a painting in the game where is it displayed? Same with armor bought and weapons?

styl3s

I have only played maybe 2-3 hours worth and i absolutely love it and don't regret my 100$ purchase now :lol , the siege part near the beginning is incredible, felt like uncharted: assassins fortune of creed :lol

still.. breathe taking and incredible IMO, sadly i never finished AC2 and although this does feel like it should of been a few 2-4 hour DLC mission packs i don't care that it went retail because it has a full retail experience, defiantly one of my favorite games of 2010

mjc

I don't understand the purpose of the Facebook Legacy game. I played it for like 15 minutes and got super bored. What does it unlock in Brotherhood?

Killthee

mjc said:
I don't understand the purpose of the Facebook Legacy game. I played it for like 15 minutes and got super bored. What does it unlock in Brotherhood?
Capes from AC2 iirc plus the extra Uplay points needed to unlock everything in Brotherhood.

Pimpbaa

Aokage said:

It's certainly no worse than ACII on the PS3.

Aokage

Ether_Snake said:
Read the reviews instead of trusting one site that has no idea what it's talking about. You'll get your answer there.

I wish I had time to sift through reviews looking for a platform comparison by someone who knows what he's talking about. I'll probably just wait for DF...

Aokage

Hmm. How much time would I have to put in to the silly Facebook app to get the Brotherhood stuff?

Phenomic

Aokage said:
Hmm. How much time would I have to put in to the silly Facebook app to get the Brotherhood stuff?

It's more like Mafia Wars from what I'm told if you are familar with that. You have to put in a good amount of time but you don't really have to do all that much each time you log in. You let points accumulate and then spend them doing missions. Rinse and repeat. It's obviously a little more complex then that because you have stat points to spend, items to buy etc but that's the basic idea.

So I really didn't follow this game expecting it to be kinda a glorified expansion or ACII but it seems to be more than that. I am definitely going to have to try this out. Everyones impressions and reviews really make this game sound awesome.

ZealousD

Aokage said:

The capes will definitely take you some time, probably a couple weeks. As for being able to train your assassin guild partners, I haven't gotten far enough in the game to figure out how that works exactly.

aesop

Anyone else getting a weird ghosting issue? It seems the top half of my screen is really light during gameplay with some outlines of the background showing through. Doesn't happen in the menus, VR, or multiplayer, only during the story mode and goes away when I look up. It comes right back as soon as I center my view, though.

Edit: I'm on the 360.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
aesop said:
Anyone else getting a weird ghosting issue? It seems the top half of my screen is really light during gameplay with some outlines of the background showing through. Doesn't happen in the menus, VR, or multiplayer, only during the story mode and goes away when I look up. It comes right back as soon as I center my view, though.

Edit: I'm on the 360.

Do you mean the sort of bloom effect? There is a bloom caused by the sun depending on the camera's angle. Not sure about outlines though.

ZealousD said:
The capes will definitely take you some time, probably a couple weeks. As for being able to train your assassin guild partners, I haven't gotten far enough in the game to figure out how that works exactly.

Someone mentioned getting UPlay points through the facebook game, I started it last night cause I was bored but didn't see anything about UPlay points even after I linked it to my Facebook.

I haven't got the game yet so not sure if that matters.

iNvid02

yeah don't focus too much on the story, at the ending of AC1 i just stopped caring :lol

Knew it was gonna be some crazy inconceivable shit but it never took away from how fun going around as an assassin in this huge, beautiful world and sort of revisiting history is. Thats what i love about AC

Mush

I haven't really been following this thread much, or AssBro much at all since I've been on a total media blackout, but the PS3 version is still good, right? As long as it runs as good as the PS3 version of AC2 I'm totally fine with it.

Killthee

aesop

Ether_Snake said:
Do you mean the sort of bloom effect? There is a bloom caused by the sun depending on the camera's angle. Not sure about outlines though.

It's like the bloom effect, but not affected by any geometry. It overlays everything. It's really rather annoying.

Hit a bug (guess it's a bug anyway) I guess pretty early on
it wants me to talk to the architect to renovate the courtesan house but when I do it tells me I need the 2500 I got from the first part of the mission, I guess the game didn't count on me upgrading my weapons before returning the mission. I need 1600 dollars lol.
so now I got this big picture of the mission and that's the only icon that will show up on the mini map.

Just pick pocketed a bunch of people and got the money.

ZealousD

iNvidious01 said:
Knew it was gonna be some crazy inconceivable shit but it never took away from how fun going around as an assassin in this huge, beautiful world and sort of revisiting history is. Thats what i love about AC

I love it. It keeps me guessing on my toes. I guess I probably have a greater tolerance for stories with a lot of ambiguity. Hell I've watched Neon Genesis Evangelion more than once.

(Spoilers are only for people who haven't played through a single AC game)

The
Shaggy God
model of storytelling might be a bit of a cliche, but I think they're doing a good job with it here. There's also a ton of layers and clues to leave you guessing and speculating, namely all the stuff that
Subject 16
gives you. You'd be surprised how much you can infer with not only the things the game gives you bluntly, but what it gives you secretly too. There's a good Puzzle/Codex analysis on GameFAQs that's a good read for anybody who's played AC1 and AC2.

MjFrancis

Ranger X said:
You can play right away and also, you necessarily have to play AC2 before Brotherhood. There is a recap movie at the beginning of the game. That's quite all you need really.
Thanks, I've jumped straight away into the multiplayer, and so far no one has spoiled AC2 for me yet! It's been a long time since I've bought such a game on a whim, and I don't regret it. I seriously followed no AC:B hype whatsoever, and I've been pleased with what I've seen so far. Just hit level 6!

dwebo

Do you get any bonus for doing the VR missions besides the achievement at 3 golds? The races are pretty fun, but the combat ones are tedious as hell.

Top Bottom