• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

OmonRa

dwebo said:
Do you get any bonus for doing the VR missions besides the achievement at 3 golds? The races are pretty fun, but the combat ones are tedious as hell.

You do get a bonus but I will let someone else spoil it for you.

A few hours in, just getting started. But for now this game seems like Assassins Creed 2: Brotherhood to me. But then again AssCreed 2 was really disappointing in the beginning as well, so who knows maybe I will change my mind.

mr_chun

Loved the beta, had to have this. The girlie has been playing online all evening while I'm studying. I swear she's already way better than I was during the beta. :lol

Can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

dwebo

OmonRa said:
You do get a bonus but I will let someone else spoil it for you.
Thanks. Guess I'll figure out later if I want to bother with them.

Kill streaks are kinda finicky. Sometimes they'll string along perfectly, others you'll just do some normal hits.

edit: also, performance does suck at the part jett mentioned earlier

should we create an online thread? (I have no idea what's the etiquette on these things). I want to play with gaffers, none of my friends have this game :)

MjFrancis

Okay, so I'm level 10 online, and still have no fucking clue how to stun. I've been stunned a dozen times, but I've never seen so much as a single button prompt to do so myself.

The instructions and on-screen prompts are useless here.

Still, fun online. I just really need to work on buffing my pursuers. Really, before I got sprint and the smoke bomb, I was clueless. It's like, run faster than them. Even then, it's easier to let the bastard kill you for 100 - 150 points so you can pull off a 300 - 400 point kill in the next minute after you respawn. The alternative to an insistent pursuer is to run around for a minute or so and get zero points... or hope someone else kills him first.

ultron87

Getting a good execution chain on a large group of guards makes you feel like a ridiculous badass.

And multiplayer is cool, but I don't understand half the mechanics. Like stunning a pursuer, how do you do that?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
MjFrancis said:
Okay, so I'm level 10 online, and still have no fucking clue how to stun. I've been stunned a dozen times, but I've never seen so much as a single button prompt to do so myself.

The instructions and on-screen prompts are useless here.

Still, fun online. I just really need to work on buffing my pursuers. Really, before I got sprint and the smoke bomb, I was clueless. It's like, run faster than them. Even then, it's easier to let the bastard kill you for 100 - 150 points so you can pull off a 300 - 400 point kill in the next minute after you respawn. The alternative to an insistent pursuer is to run around for a minute or so and get zero points... or hope someone else kills him first.
IIRC, you get points for a successful escape and you can speed up the timer by hiding. Try running through gates and then blend ASAP (join a crowd, sit on a bench, jump inside a haystack/bush, etc....).
ultron87 said:
And multiplayer is cool, but I don't understand half the mechanics. Like stunning a pursuer, how do you do that?
You know how the square button pops up when you have someone within killing distance, the same thing happens when a pursuer makes himself noticed (running, pushing people, etc...) without identifying you/triggering a chase scene but instead of square/X you'll get a O/B pop up. It doesn't happen all the time and it's not something you should rely on, but whenever you see that O/B pop up smash the button ASAP to stun him/her.

ultron87

Killthee said:
IIRC, you get points for a successful escape and you can speed up the timer by hiding. Try running through gates and then blend ASAP (join a crowd, sit on a bench, jump inside a haystack/bush, etc....).

Can you root someone out of a hiding spot as a pursuer? Because Siena has a hay bail directly in the middle of 4 chase break doors, so it's really easy to hide in. It seems like one that is that obvious should have some disadvantage.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking Giant Bomb! I had totally written this off as a multiplayer-focused game with maybe a bit of a token campaign. It sounds like the campaign is pretty amazing and maybe even better than AC2, which I loved.

Why did Ubisoft have to delay the PC version? Damn them!

I might just have to grab this on the consoles then. I have a dilemma there, too, though. I hear the PS3 version is inferior like always, but I might actually want to try out the multiplayer in this game! I sure as hell won't pay for Xbox Live, though. Damn... what a lame spot to be in.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
ultron87 said:
Can you root someone out of a hiding spot as a pursuer? Because Siena has a hay bail directly in the middle of 4 chase break doors, so it's really easy to hide in. It seems like one that is that obvious should have some disadvantage.
Yes, if you see someone run into the hay just get close and press square for the assassination. You can also do the same thing in reverse, wait for a target in a haystack and then press square when they get near to kill them (first time you do this you get a trophy) :D

DrBo42

When you stun you have to catch your attacker by surprise. If you manage to hit stun from behind, he can still assassinate you if he's quick enough on the assassinate prompt. You will lose every time unless you can catch them by surprise or use smoke or another ability to disable. A great strategy while being chased is the cut around a corner breaking the line of sight, use the disguise ability and enter a blend group. Now you're a completely different NPC and he's got to make a choice of which is actually you, use that time to get the drop on him for some major points (it's a challenge too).

ultron87

zero margin said:
I have it set to Italian language with subtitles on and it's a little more immersive. This game is fun.

It just makes the outside Animus scenes a little bit bizarre. But still kind of awesome.

Extremely Early Game Spoiler:
So were you in Italy during the modern day sections of AC1 and 2? Because getting to that villa via van seemed pretty simple.

And the getting to the sanctuary part was way too Unchartedish to me. And I didn't even have the Nolan North voice on.

jediyoshi

Lostconfused said:
A few hours in, just getting started. But for now this game seems like Assassins Creed 2: Brotherhood to me. But then again AssCreed 2 was really disappointing in the beginning as well, so who knows maybe I will change my mind.

Yeah, the early beginning for me was a pretty low point so far. One of the most absurd uses of QTEs I've seen in a while. Some of the tutorial they try to fit in is during really inconvenient times.
I do enjoy the reveal of where Desmon & co end up right off the bat. Running around the back entrance with Lucy made me realize how much I just kinda want to play a modern Assassin's Creed already. I'm a sucker for the back and forth banter as well.

Can someone please help me? I have the PS3 version and when I am playing as Ezio in Rome walking around or in cutscenes - I have this white haze/glow that covers half of my screen (like if someone took white in a low opacity and colored over the screen). It's not there during menu's, desmond sections, eagle vision ect. Is this part of the game? It's super annoying...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ultron87 said:
It just makes the outside Animus scenes a little bit bizarre. But still kind of awesome.

Extremely Early Game Spoiler:
So were you in Italy during the modern day sections of AC1 and 2? Because getting to that villa via van seemed pretty simple.

And the getting to the sanctuary part was way too Unchartedish to me. And I didn't even have the Nolan North voice on.

AC2 spoiler:
When you were in the parking lot of Abstergo, the signs were all in Italian, and in the hideout you can see the buildings outside are the same as in the past. Worst is how no archeologist ever opened that secret door in the villa :lol.

And ACB intro spoiler
He says he was "born in the brotherhood" at the beginning of the game during the recap intro, which sounds like a retcon to me.

ultron87 said:
Indeed.
The banter between Desmond and Elen...Lucy made the situation even worse.
:lol

Docpan

How is the PS3 version?

I want to play this game on the PS3 due to the fact that I've played both of the other installments here, but, they played like shit.

I was really unhappy with the screen tearing and low ass framerate last year on Ass Creed 2. What should I expect with Brotherhood?

jett

D-Member
Docpan said:
How is the PS3 version?

I want to play this game on the PS3 due to the fact that I've played both of the other installments here, but, they played like shit.

I was really unhappy with the screen tearing and low ass framerate last year on Ass Creed 2. What should I expect with Brotherhood?

You should expect the same. I think it runs a tad bit choppier. And Rome is kind of ugly compared to Florence and Venice, but I guess there's not much Ubisoft can do about that. :p

I have a stuttering problem when riding horses if I'm covering too much ground too quickly, sometimes the game will stop for half a second because it hasn't loaded the city properly, sometimes it doesn't stop but I get a look at how the game looks untextured for a little while. :p

Beowulf28

Ether_Snake said:
And ACB intro spoiler
He says he was "born in the brotherhood" at the beginning of the game during the recap intro, which sounds like a retcon to me.

I believe Desmond mentioned he was born into the assassins but ran away or something in AC1

Was there any white glow on the top half of the screen for anyone else? At the beginning of starting in Rome. It's driving me nutso!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Beowulf28 said:
I believe Desmond mentioned he was born into the assassins but ran away or something in AC1

Oh really? Wow, I completely missed that.

Darknessbear said:
Was there any white glow on the top half of the screen for anyone else? At the beginning of starting in Rome. It's driving me nutso!

Yes, it's a stupid fake-bloom.

Dead

well not really...yet
Good work on the improved character models. Lucy actually looks like Kristen Bell this time :lol

DrBo42

jett said:
You should expect the same. I think it runs a tad bit choppier. And Rome is kind of ugly compared to Florence and Venice, but I guess there's not much Ubisoft can do about that. :p

I have a stuttering problem when riding horses if I'm covering too much ground too quickly, sometimes the game will stop for half a second because it hasn't loaded the city properly, sometimes it doesn't stop but I get a look at how the game looks untextured for a little while. :p

The city definitely grows on you after a while. The color palette of districts seem to be less gray after releasing them from Borgia control. Centro and Vaticano can look great at dusk or sunrise, the coloseo too.

fernoca

Ether_Snake said:
AC2 spoiler:
When you were in the parking lot of Abstergo, the signs were all in Italian, and in the hideout you can see the buildings outside are the same as in the past. Worst is how no archeologist ever opened that secret door in the villa :lol.
The Villa seems to be a museum of sorts and gives the allusion as to has been barely touched and just used for tours. As shown by pieces, blocks and the rest of the stuff that was probably left as evidence there of a "historic attack".

Ether_Snake said:
And ACB intro spoiler
No retcon as far as I know. He knew he was born in a brotherhood of assassins since the first game; were he admits was the reason he fled, got a new identity and a new life trying to ignore everything. But like many in the brotherhood, they don't know every detail or knowledge about the events, they just know they have to train and be ready for the worst. Which kinda explains his lack of knowledge of Abstergo before the first game.
Unless I mixed some stuff or I'm imagining things. :p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I know the villa is like a touristic site, but come on, someone would have opened the obvious secret wooden door that stayed close for 500 years. It was a bit silly.

As for that AC1 tidbit, I guess it shows how much I didn't pay attention to the boring ass cutscenes. I would just turn around in circle like an idiot while they talked.

fernoca

Ether_Snake said:
I know the villa is like a touristic site, but come on, someone would have opened the obvious secret wooden door that stayed close for 500 years. It was a bit silly.
NO NO NO TEH GAM'ES PERFECT SHUT UP1!!!!!111 :p

Ether_Snake said:
As for that AC1 tidbit, I guess it shows how much I didn't pay attention to the boring ass cutscenes. I would just turn around in circle like an idiot while they talked.
Yeah. I was really disappointed with the first game, but liked the story. Then II came in and took me by surprise. So here I am with Brotherhood. Had to stop playing, after 7 hours straight because I've been sick for 2 days. If not, I'd be playing still.

fernoca

That one memory in Sequence 2, that you had to finish in 8 minutes to get 100% sync. Yikes! :lol So awesome, yet it took me like 8 tries, and barely made it with like 30 seconds remianing. And that was going through the whole thing knowing exactly what to do. So fun anyway. Really wanted to do the "one memory 100% all" achievement out soon, to focus in having more fun later. :lol

zero margin said:
I went into gamestop and told him to gimme ass bro. He looked perplexed. Anyway, game is good so far but then again I haven't done anything really. Thought I remember AC2 looking better than this though.

I thought I was the only one who called it Ass Bro :lol

dwebo

fernoca said:
That one memory in Sequence 2, that you had to finish in 8 minutes to get 100% sync. Yikes! :lol So awesome, yet it took me like 8 tries, and barely made it with like 30 seconds remianing. And that was going through the whole thing knowing exactly what to do. So fun anyway. Really wanted to do the "one memory 100% all" achievement out soon, to focus in having more fun later. :lol
I've retried this one twice so far, since it's my last memory in sequence 2 that I didn't 100%. I'm not sure if I'll keep going though, since it's so fucking annoying. I don't see why they couldn't at least have put in a "restart at last checkpoint" option instead of just a restart the whole memory over. Having to redo an entire 8 minutes + unskippable cutscenes because the janky auto-jump sent you in a direction you didn't want to go and you lost thirty seconds is just terrible. This stuff isn't scored on any leaderboards - ffs throw the player a bone here.

edit: and of course when I go back later to retry I somehow finish with 1:30 left. grr

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Blue Ninja said:
What can I say, I'm a sucker for ridiculous storylines. Anything that has that "larger than life"-quality to it, while still remaining semi-believable, gets an automatic thumbs up in my book

I'm right with you. I love batshit crazy plot lines.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got the game. I picked it up over The Sly Collection because well... TSC isn't available until now. :/

Hope this game is on par with ACII or better!

Edit: I got a free AC:B planner so I guess the purchase was definitely worthwhile.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ULTROS! said:
I got the game. I picked it up over The Sly Collection because well... TSC isn't available until now. :/

Hope this game is on par with ACII or better!

Edit: I got a free AC:B planner so I guess the purchase was definitely worthwhile.

I don't get my copy until tomorrow, but I've heard it's better than AC2. That's music to my ears. I adored AC2.

TripOpt55

I've played a couple hours so far. Nothing great yet, but pretty good. Looking forward to playing some more tomorrow night.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man I was weak and got this on 360, already regretting it, the framerate is all over the damn place. Might end up double dipping for PC version.

Arsin

Holy shit at this multiplayer! I was excited to see how they would pull this off and imo they did a great job. I am only lv 4, but I am excited to play more. Now I just have to find a good balance between playing the multi and the sp.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm awful at the MP, but it has a lot of potential. Already had an awesome moment sprinting through a gate to shake off 2 chasers, dove into a haystack in a crowded area, and saw them both murder a random NPC. :lol

I then topped it off by getting a kill out of the haystack!

Dreavus

Papercuts said:
I'm awful at the MP, but it has a lot of potential. Already had an awesome moment sprinting through a gate to shake off 2 chasers, dove into a haystack in a crowded area, and saw them both murder a random NPC. :lol

I then topped it off by getting a kill out of the haystack!

There is nothing better than watching your pursuer kill the wrong guy. So awesome. :D

Played a few hours of this, so fun.

Had a question about the glyphs though for anyone who has gone further with them (I only just finished one):

Does Subject 16 actually return to narrate these or is it just a simple puzzle and scratchy fragment each time?

Top Bottom