• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

rataven

Nice to see such great scores. Definitely seems worth it from the three hours I've played of SP.

I'm getting audio "hiccups" though. Like a half second skip now and then. Anyone else have this problem?

MjFrancis

I'm starting to feel a little hype for this. Can anyone tell me if you can jump into the multiplayer straight away and worry about the single-player later? Or are there unlocks in the single-player that make a big enough difference in the multiplayer?

I haven't played Assassin's Creed II but just might pick up Brotherhood for the MP. I'll play II later on, but I don't want to fall behind in the MP if I don't have to. Some MP communities get stale in a matter of weeks or months...

Getting this for Stuntman Ignition and Alone in the Dark. Those games are worth next to nothing these days, except for in my Gamestop account, where they're worth one new game for as long as Gamestop is running these offers. Not like I planned on it, but I'm basically using Gamestop as a bank.

Anyway, sounds like like the value of this game is quite a bit more than what I'm giving for it. Although I don't know if Ubi can continue getting away with annual sequels.

Sanic

I'm liking the game so far, though I don't think i'll end up enjoying the MP as much in the long run simply because it's not as deep/drawn out as a similar multiplayer experience that I used to play quite often (The Ship).

Pandoracell said:
I'm liking the game so far, though I don't think i'll end up enjoying the MP as much in the long run simply because it's not as deep/drawn out as a similar multiplayer experience that I used to play quite often (The Ship).

There are definite similarities to The Ship, but that game had a very small community. I'm glad to see MP in that vein getting on a console.

Sanic

piratepwnsninja said:
There are definite similarities to The Ship, but that game had a very small community. I'm glad to see MP in that vein getting on a console.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm glad this kind of gameplay is being introduced to a larger audience, and hopefully things will expand from here.

mr_boo said:
Thanks for the reply. This is making me leans towards purchase now...but I'd like to solicit more opinions if possible. Thanks in advance.

mp is very different from any other games in a good way.

you start off being level 1 and you progress by unlocking different modes. there is a matchmaking system which is pretty good. you can do custom games with friends, etc.. everything you'll expect is there. mp you start in a free for all match. you pick your character, then get jumped into a map. assassination contract appears on the top right screen of who you need to kill. a campus guides you to the contract until you're in sight distance. then you have to pick out from the crowd your target. if you run, walk funny, or do anything suspicious, the other player will detect you. once someone was walking towards me and next thing i know, i'm dead. it can get really tense and rewarding. most times you dont know who is a npc and who's not. as you progress, you get to unlock disguises and other stuff. if you assassinate a civilian or the wrong target, you'll loose the current contract. you're overall score will be based on how you kill someone. if you're chasing a dude across the map on the roof and kill, that won't get you far. walking up one someone undetected will get you rewarded well.

DaBuddaDa

Ryan Davis (Giantbomb)'s twitter:

embargo's up: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is motherfucking awesome. We've got a Quick Look coming soon, gotta play retail MP before review.

for those asking, yeah, ACB has a massive, thoroughly satisfying single-player experience. better than AC2. I've not even touched MP yet!

KdoubleA

I'm having a blast with the Multiplayer. So addictive...so good! Nothing like disguising yourself among a crowd and watching your pursuer kill a civilian lookalike instead :D

Single player is great so far but the MP is taking too much of my play time. I also liked how the story continued right after AC2 ended.

Sai-kun

Banned
Pennybags said:
Details, now! Long and properly formatted writeup, this instant!

I've mostly played Hunted, and a couple games of Alliance.

Hunted starts everyone out with no contracts, and then eventually you get assigned someone to kill. You have a compass-like thing at the bottom, a circle that fills starting in the direction of your target. So as you get closer, the circle fills out more and more. You know what persona your target is using, but the town is made up of the multiplayer persona NPCs, so if they're in a crowd, it's hard to tell.

One of the abilities is a disguise, which changes your persona. It's super useful if you hide in a crowd/blend in, and use it. Your attacker won't know where you are, and if you were smart enough to stand by an NPC that looked like you, they might just assassinate the NPC and lose the contract on you.

basically: SO TENSE AND FUN.

jett

D-Member
Copped this during lunch, traded in AC2 and Castlevania.

HOLY SHIT at the instruction manual. :lol Ubisoft has outdone themselves, it's a three-page leaflet. At this rate AC3 will have no manual of any kind, and AC4 will just come in a paper bag.

DaBuddaDa said:

embargo's up: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is motherfucking awesome. We've got a Quick Look coming soon, gotta play retail MP before review.

for those asking, yeah, ACB has a massive, thoroughly satisfying single-player experience. better than AC2. I've not even touched MP yet!

Ryan Davis you awesome son-of-a-bitch.

I'm so hyped now!

Damn't, I still need to finish off Fable 3, New Vegas and GT5 is just around the corner.

Dever

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:

Hype reaching critical mass

ultron87

DaBuddaDa said:

Uh uh uh uh uh!

mr_boo

macfoshizzle said:
mp is very different from any other games in a good way.

you start off being level 1 and you progress by unlocking different modes. there is a matchmaking system which is pretty good. you can do custom games with friends, etc.. everything you'll expect is there. mp you start in a free for all match. you pick your character, then get jumped into a map. assassination contract appears on the top right screen of who you need to kill. a campus guides you to the contract until you're in sight distance. then you have to pick out from the crowd your target. if you run, walk funny, or do anything suspicious, the other player will detect you. once someone was walking towards me and next thing i know, i'm dead. it can get really tense and rewarding. most times you dont know who is a npc and who's not. as you progress, you get to unlock disguises and other stuff. if you assassinate a civilian or the wrong target, you'll loose the current contract. you're overall score will be based on how you kill someone. if you're chasing a dude across the map on the roof and kill, that won't get you far. walking up one someone undetected will get you rewarded well.
Thanks! I'll probably pick this up today or tomorrow :D

LCfiner

"for those asking, yeah, ACB has a massive, thoroughly satisfying single-player experience. better than AC2. I've not even touched MP yet!"

that is a bold statement from Mr. Davis.

shit. this game hasn't been on my radar at all and now i think i need to grab it. knowing Ubi, it'll be on sale for half price within a week, tho. :lol

DaBuddaDa

LCfiner said:
shit. this game hasn't been on my radar at all and now i think i need to grab it. knowing Ubi, it'll be on sale for half price within a week, tho. :lol
40 bux at KMart on black friday I think :D

DrBo42

DaBuddaDa said:

I love the game, but this is just not true. Maybe he's still on the new game high. Just finished the game btw, holy shit wtf at the ending. The ending is better than AC2 though, definitely.

Edit: Then again he did say experience. The story is weaker, but the gameplay is the best in the series.

jcm

I'm sold. Ubi did a terrible job marketing this. I had no idea it even had a SP campaign. I thought it was like RE5 or Army of 2.

ultron87

jcm said:
I'm sold. Ubi did a terrible job marketing this. I had no idea it even had a SP campaign. I thought it was like RE5 or Army of 2.

How doesn't this have some sort of co-op mode? It makes so much sense.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DrBo42 said:
I love the game, but this is just not true. Maybe he's still on the new game high. Just finished the game btw, holy shit wtf at the ending. The ending is better than AC2 though, definitely.
Well, opinions, you know. I certainly think that ACB is better than AC2 too. Maybe not the same emotional content (though some side missions have quite a bit of that), but it's a much more polished package overall.

Blimblim said:
Well, opinions, you know. I certainly think that ACB is better than AC2 too. Maybe not the same emotional content (though some side missions have quite a bit of that), but it's a much more polished package overall.

Blim to the rescue!

DrBo42

Blimblim said:
Yeah I edited my post. It is the best game in the series, I just wish the story was more engaging.

DaBuddaDa

That 9.0 Gametrailers review really isn't that positive, is it? They spend most of the time talking about flaws and how the design is repetitive and feels stagnant yet end it with a 9. Seemed odd.

Holy shit Manhunt is so fun. :D

Coming up with ways to deceive these guys is awesome, and flanking your pursuers brings a whole new element to the game.

WIN!

DaBuddaDa said:
That 9.0 Gametrailers review really isn't that positive, is it? They spend most of the time talking about flaws and how the design is repetitive and feels stagnant yet end it with a 9. Seemed odd.

GT always does this, I don't rate them at all.

I watched a review recently where they praised it the whole way through, final score? 6.0

ZAnimus

Is the Gametrailers review spoiler-free? Obviously there'll be game footage (duh), but does anything shown give away any plot points?

DaBuddaDa

ZAnimus said:
Is the Gametrailers review spoiler-free? Obviously there'll be game footage (duh), but does anything shown give away any plot points?
I didn't notice anything I'd personally consider a spoiler in ACB, but they spoil the ending of AC2 heavily.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ZAnimus said:

There's some pretty big reveals of surprises that happen within the first couple of hours, but I didn't see too many late game spoilers apart from seeing what a few assassination targets look like. Although AC2 is spoiled like hell. Then again, the very beginning of Brotherhood spoiled AC2 like hell.

ajf009

sooo I don't know if I'll be picking this up, it looks like an expensive DLC basically, just AC 2.5

but if there's any storyline info that will be important than I guess I have no choice do I? :lol

Spookie

Game is arriving tomorrow huzzar (along with ACII for £5) thanks shopto. :D

Hari Seldon said:
Is there an explanation of the AC plot up to this point somewhere online?

Game sums it up before brotherhood begins.

jett

D-Member
Ok, just started the game. Controls felt off at first, I figured it was nothing. Then the first battle and...WHAT THE FUCK. These are worse-than Killzone 2 levels of input lag I'm experiencing in the PS3 version.

Ranger X

MjFrancis said:
I'm starting to feel a little hype for this. Can anyone tell me if you can jump into the multiplayer straight away and worry about the single-player later? Or are there unlocks in the single-player that make a big enough difference in the multiplayer?

I haven't played Assassin's Creed II but just might pick up Brotherhood for the MP. I'll play II later on, but I don't want to fall behind in the MP if I don't have to. Some MP communities get stale in a matter of weeks or months...

You can play right away and also, you necessarily have to play AC2 before Brotherhood. There is a recap movie at the beginning of the game. That's quite all you need really.

DrBo42

jett said:
Ok, just started the game. Controls felt off at first, I figured it was nothing. Then the first battle and...WHAT THE FUCK. These are worse-than Killzone 2 levels of input lag I'm experiencing in the PS3 version.
I think the moves are queued.

Ranger X

jett said:

It's not input lag. There's momentum in the battle system. You can't just press whatever you want when you want and hope it will work. Play slower at first and you will improve/devellop your ability.

jett

D-Member
Ranger X said:
It's not input lag. There's momentum in the battle system. You can't just press whatever you want when you want and hope it will work. Play slower at first and you will improve/devellop your ability.

Hmm all right. It feels very different from AC1 and AC2.

KAOz

Short bus special
Trophy-whore question here.

Does anyone know if the MP trophies MUST be earned in matchmaking or ranked game, or can it be done just with friends?

conman

Here's my only question before I run down to the store to pick this up today:

How are the missions structured? Same ol' linear quest lines as in the GTA games and AC2? Or have they (hopefully) changed it up a bit?

Pimpbaa

Thanks for putting a big ugly sticker on the box for your exclusive Walmart. Hell it's not even a sticker, it's printed on there.

Top Bottom