• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

JohngPR

DevelopmentArrested said:
i thought that was just me. good god it's horrible.

Happened to me too. I was thinking to myself "hopefully one of my speakers aren't blowing out".

Glad to confirm that it's just the way this game is. :0P

sdornan

Oh... my... god... how many fucking missions where you follow a guy can one game have? Answer: Never as many as Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

UrbanRats

What's with the Assassin's Creed's Super Mario Easter Eggs?

I remember in AC2 we had that "It's-a me, (uncle)Mario"-- and, i don't have the game, but looking at the Giant Bomb Brotherhood QL, i've seen an Achievment called
"Principessa in Another Castello" (princess in another Castle), also, why didn't they translate "another"?
:lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
UrbanRats said:

I remember in AC2 we had that "It's-a me, (uncle)Mario"-- and, i don't have the game, but looking at the Giant Bomb Brotherhood QL, i've seen an Achievment called
"Principessa in Another Castello" (princess in another Castle), also, why didn't they translate "another"?
:lol

There's also an achievement called Plumber with an icon of a Mario pipe.

fernoca

Well, Miyamoto has been to a few presentations and demos of Assassin's Creed through the years, so maybe is a nod or just a sign of respect. Same with Metal Gear Solid.

UrbanRats said:
The Mario Bros. are gaming icons that happen to be Italian. Why wouldn't they put little references to the series when Ubi's game takes place in Italy?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
jett said:
They give you the best weapons as rewards at the end, I needs to complete them for completion's sake. :|
Wish I would have known that before I did the whole freakin game. What do the Assassins guild give you? I didn't get anything I don't think. Do you have to check or do you just get it?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
fernoca said:
Well, Miyamoto has been to a few presentations and demos of Assassin's Creed through the years, so maybe is a nod or just a sign of respect. Same with Metal Gear Solid.
I loved the MGS reference when Ezio reunites with
Leonardo

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Anybody else having trouble getting into games (PS3)? It takes me forever to find other people and when I do half the time I get stuck on the loading screen. Ugh.

Killthee

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Anybody else having trouble getting into games (PS3)? It takes me forever to find other people and when I do half the time I get stuck on the loading screen. Ugh.
The MM in general just seems really iffy right now. Sometimes it works and you find games very quickly and other times it takes forever. My biggest annoyance right now is that it seems like the servers are getting hammered and the main MP menu seems to want a response from the server before loading, if you start MM and then back out real quickly you'll usually get stuck in the loading screen waiting for that server response.

I've noticed when you play in a group MM goes a lot smoother since you already have 4 out of the 6 people needed for the game to start.

If you want to add people to your friend list we got a short list of Gaffers with the game over at the Community Forum and if anybody is up for a game just send me a FR with gaf in the message (PSN ID: Killthee).

NZNova

My new metagames are a) seeing if I can fill the Pantheon with guard corpses and b) walking around main streets carrying dead guards over my shoulder to see how long it takes people to notice. Guards just run up and drop loot at your feet! I mean ok, you have to throw a dead guard at them and then stab them in the face, but it's as good as giving...

I love this game :D

Papercuts

Man, morph is hilarious. Nothing like warping the appearance of everyone in a group someone is trying to hide in to expose them. :lol

So, did everyone know you can kill dudes with spears in this game? Because you can kill dudes with fucking spears in this game! I saw it in a screenshot but figured it'd been taken out of the full game, but just in case I killed one of the guards that uses the pike, picked it up and was able to target a guy at long range with it. My excitement building I held the square button and totally nailed the sucker square in the chest.

Between that and the move where you stand on a galloping horse and leap up to grab a wooden beam above you, flip over it and land back on the horse I think I might be in love with this game.

Papercuts

matrix-cat said:
So, did everyone know you can kill dudes with spears in this game? Because you can kill dudes with fucking spears in this game! I saw it in a screenshot but figured it'd been taken out of the full game, but just in case I killed one of the guards that uses the pike, picked it up and was able to target a guy at long range with it. My excitement building I held the square button and totally nailed the sucker square in the chest.

Between that and the move where you stand on a galloping horse and leap up to grab a wooden beam above you, flip over it and land back on the horse I think I might be in love with this game.

Spears were in 2, though AFAIK throwing them is new here. And yeah, the kill animations for it are amazing.

dwebo

LAUGHTREY said:
Wish I would have known that before I did the whole freakin game. What do the Assassins guild give you? I didn't get anything I don't think. Do you have to check or do you just get it?
You just get it once you finish all the objectives. Assassin's guild gives you
Altair's sword, which is the best weapon (5/5/5).
It's also the easiest to get, since you'll probably do a lot of the challenges just using your assassins normally.

Papercuts said:
Man, morph is hilarious. Nothing like warping the appearance of everyone in a group someone is trying to hide in to expose them. :lol
Decoy and mute are pretty good for laughs too. Watching someone expose themselves chasing a fake never gets old, and I can only imagine people's frustration as they mash the assassinate button while you walk right up and stun them. :lol

Actually, most of the abilities are there just to fuck with people, and that is so awesome.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really curious about Brohood.
Played the living poop out of the first AC, so much so that I got burnt out and never played AC2. But I've recently developed a hankerin' for some stabbin'.

Is it worth giving that one a look before this one? Y'know, before the multiplayer in Brohood picks up? Is there enough single-player stuff in Brohood to justify skipping AC2?

Any advice is appreciated :)

fernoca

B-Genius said:
Played the living poop out of the first AC, so much so that I got burnt out and never played AC2. But I've recently developed a hankerin' for some stabbin'.

Is it worth giving that one a look before this one? Y'know, before the multiplayer in Brohood picks up? Is there enough single-player stuff in Brohood to justify skipping AC2?

Well, if you just jump to Brotherhood, you'll be really lost when it comes to story and character development.

II had Ezio grow up literally from a baby to a full blown assassin. Brotherhood establishes that, continues it and expands upon it. Being a direct sequel, it also starts exactly were II ended (same way II started when I ended).

Unless you read and watch a ton of videos first. ;p

Killthee

B-Genius said:

I would recommend you pickup 2 and Brotherhood and play them back to back. AC2 is much more open than AC and has a lot more things to do than AC. Brotherhood expands even more on AC2 and takes place 5 seconds after AC2 ends.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I would never, under any circumstance, recommend that somebody skip AC2 and go straight to AC:B. Even if they played AC1 first.

You will be totally and completely lost. The story will make absolute no sense to you. I mean, for those of us that did play AC2, we already have to spend some time wrapping our heads around what goes on and try and put the pieces together. Trying to put all the pieces together when you're missing half the puzzle is even worse.

ZealousD

Okay, so I have a question for you history/geography buffs. Sequence 6 spoilers!

Montreal? Isn't that a bit early? I'm pretty sure France didn't have a foothold in the New World until the 1600's at the very least. Is a different Montreal being referenced here? Assassin's Creed is usually historically accurate, it seems bonkers that the game developers wouldn't know when the city they live and work in was founded. o_O

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
fernoca said:
Well, if you just jump to Brotherhood, you'll be really lost when it comes to story and character development.

II had Ezio grow up literally from a baby to a full blown assassin. Brotherhood establishes that, continues it and expands upon it. Being a direct sequel, it also starts exactly were II ended (same way II started when I ended).

Unless you read and watch a ton of videos first. ;p
Cool, thanks guys. I'm not the type to read/watch games just to catch up on story - it sounds like a decent game so I'll definitely pick it up (super cheap now as well).

Any difference in platform for either title? I would sway to 360 for custom soundtracks (only sometimes, I want real Italy music too!) and I guess my friends will play AC:B on 360, but are there any significant performance differences?

Many thanks!

ZealousD

B-Genius said:
Cool, thanks guys. I'm not the type to read/watch games just to catch up on story - it sounds like a decent game so I'll definitely pick it up (super cheap now as well).

Any difference in platform for either title? I would sway to 360 for custom soundtracks (only sometimes, I want real Italy music too!) and I guess my friends will play AC:B on 360, but are there any significant performance differences?

Many thanks!

360 versions are generally the better versions. But you won't need custom soundtracks, either.

zam

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
The Armour of Brutus looks hilarious.
Yeah, I took it off after getting it, doesn't look like anything an assassin would wear. I understand that they were trying to have a whole "roman centurion" thing going on and the wolf pelt for the Romulus followers, but it doesn't look nearly as good as Altair's Armor in AC2 did.

Dead said:
Pretty sure that is just an injoke
Yeah, and a pretty obvious one at that, same as the "It'sa me, Mario" from AC2

LiK

B-Genius said:

AC2 FIRST. :)

I recommend 360 ver and no need for custom soundtracks. AC2 has an amazing soundtrack.

glaurung

Another easter egg:
The Metal Gear cardboard box when Ezio meets up with Leonardo for the first time.

What is the unlock condition for the
Raiden
costume?

spidye

so, I am 6 hours in and I have to say, although I loved ac2, the game lacks polish. even more so than ac2 lacked and that's quite a feat. the frame rate get's abysmal once you hit rome. especially when you ride horses and there is lot's of clipping and popping.(ps3)

multiplayer is quite fun and I really love it but singleplayer is disappointing.
I need far more playtime before I make a final judgement but right now I would put it below ac2.

bubnbob

Banned
glaurung said:
Another easter egg:
The Metal Gear cardboard box when Ezio meets up with Leonardo for the first time.

What is the unlock condition for the
Raiden
costume?

I believe you have to do all the Virtual Animus trials, not sure if you need Gold

jett

D-Member
LAUGHTREY said:

They give you
Altair's sword
. 5 stars on everything. It just appears in your hideout.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
ZealousD said:
360 versions are generally the better versions. But you won't need custom soundtracks, either.
Thanks again to you and LiK. I imagine the soundtrack is very good, but with many games I sometimes just like to chill to my own music (especially after the first playthrough). Can give you an entirely different playstyle/mindset depending on the mood.

r.gun

Neo Member
So I finished the game over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the whole ride. I'm starting to work on the flags now, and how glad am I that they allow you to purchase a map to find them all! Great Assassin's Creed experience, though. In my opinion the games just keep getting better and better! Already looking forward to the next one.

oktarb

My day three review on ponderings (single player):

The Good:

+ I love the Assassins Guild brotherhood mechanic. Could it be ten times more robust? Sure, but I still find myself loving my little death orphans.
+ I love buying shops, restoring buildings and stealing from banks. Ya sure it’s a “withdrawal” but I prefer to think it as bribery money or theft. I’m an Assassin not a civic engineer.
+ When you get a kill chain going you feel unstoppable.
+ Rome is another great design and there is soo much to discover.
+ The day night cycle is well done. I loved sitting on a perch tracking a Captain and seeing the shadows shift as the sun moved across the sky. It put a sense of patience in me.
+ All hail the crossbow.
+ When the game isn’t pissing me off I simply love it. I have hours of fun that should not carry the full burden of my gripes.

The Bad:
? Guards sometimes run as fast as me in full sprint mode or even worse as fast as me when I’m on horse. Doesn’t seems consistent but when it does happen it’s a real BS moment.
? Timed missions, specifically the tombs. I love the tombs but I don’t even try to accomplish the 8 minute crap deadline. It’s only meant to bee accomplished after you know the exact way to go. Lame ass timed memorization challenges bug me to no end.
? What’s up with the off bounds areas? Sometimes it feels very much like I should be able to go to an area but it’s still off bounds. I can see the tower on my map but it’s a no go zone. Considering that this is a memory wall in the animus I think it should tell you why it’s off limits. ‘Accessed in memory segment 6’.
? Sometimes he just doesn’t want to drop down little 5 foot drops. I turn around, I drop hang off the wrong side. I get back up and then leap across to another perch. I just want to get right down there to that chest please. OK I get it trying to keep me safe. 10 minutes later for no apparent reason when climbing tower, instead up jumping to the next hand hold I’m suddenly launched off the side of the building for a lovely 50 foot drop, both ankles shattering on impact.

The Ugly:
- The target lock system is horrible. It changes targets on someone when you don’t want it to, not unlocking a target when you want to run. Unlocking a target and then slowly walking or stutter stepping while bad guys take swings at you. Targets switching right when you press death from above assassinations. Trying to focus on the Captain when a guy on a horse charges by hits you in the head and you auto switch to him. Simply put, 80% of the time I do not feel in control of targeting.
- Missions where the 100% synchronization bonus condition is “Do not be detected”. Some are great but one mechanic can quickly break it. You sit in you perfect kill spot tracking the guard on your god radar. Here he comes, around this corner and bam he’s mine. No other guards around. He turns, see’s and identifies me in a nano-second. I’ve been detected! ‘Initiate De-synchronization’. Even though in the next spilt second I had him dead. Who’s he reporting too? Why have a drag body mechanic?
- Death detection mentality. OK I get that guards will investigate a dead body, even say if said guard just dropped dead right next to them. “So ya there I was, I had this huge fish and no place to put it. You know what I mean Bob?...Bob?” But what I don’t like is that I can shoot a guard and then the next, and then every guard that comes to look. At one point in a guard tower mission I had a dog pile of bodies. I literally got tired of shooting them. Each one would walk up with the same perplexed look. If I was a guard and saw ten dead bodies piled up and then another drop right then and there, the last thing I would do is take a closer look. Plague! They need a threat escalation model. ‘Hmmm three dead bodies? Better put everyone on high alert, get patrols moving and summon the Inquisition.’

dwebo

oktarb said:
My day three review on ponderings (single player):
Did you play AC2? Most, if not all of your complaints would apply to that as well. I mean, it would've been nice if they fixed everything for ACB, but one-year dev time and all that.

Alucrid

Banned
Question about the guards on horses. Is there any cool move that you can do to kill them while you're on foot and they're on the horse?

ultron87

Alucrid said:
Question about the guards on horses. Is there any cool move that you can do to kill them while you're on foot and they're on the horse?

If you have hidden blade equipped and they aren't hostile to you, you can just walk up and hit assassinate for a fairly cool move.

If they are hostile to you I think you need to do the sword counter that knocks them off the horse. Or I assume you can shoot them or land on top of them from above.

ultron87

DrBo42 said:
The crossbow is downright gamebreaking.

Half the stuff in the game is gamebreaking. I can only imagine how impossible it will be to die once I have a full crew of leveled up Assassins able to be called in at a moments notice.

My hope for Assassin's Creed 3 (or whatever is next) is that they add some enemy types that are actually a danger to your main character.

LiK

DrBo42 said:
The crossbow is downright gamebreaking.
Enemies still can detect you and the reload time is slower than tossing daggers. Great weapon, made some potentially frustrating sections more fun.

sdornan

Finished it last night. It was a decent, but overall way too much of a rehash of Assassin's Creed II.

Most of the story missions felt like they'd be side missions in a better game. With a few exceptions, they were bland and pretty unmemorable.

The story never really seemed to go anywhere, but I guess that's partly a result of having the whole game take place in Rome, besides the Leonardo levels, and be filler leading up to the third one.

I still wish they'd take more liberties with the Animus concept when you're actually in the Animus. For example, things happening in the world that shouldn't happen They kind of provided a glimpse of that near the end of AC2, but didn't go any farther with it in AC:B. In this game, in fact, there was virtually no interaction between the Animus and the real world.

What was even the point of letting you leave the Animus? There was nothing to do besides reading a few jokes implemented as e-mail messages and listening to a couple of lines of dialog from the three NPCs in the room.

I enjoyed it and had fun, but AC2 is the better game. I'm not sure why it's getting such high scores from reviewers. I guess it's just because it's beating reviewers' low expectations. I would probably score it an 8 myself.

Jb

ultron87 said:
Half the stuff in the game is gamebreaking. I can only imagine how impossible it will be to die once I have a full crew of leveled up Assassins able to be called in at a moments notice.

My hope for Assassin's Creed 3 (or whatever is next) is that they add some enemy types that are actually a danger to your main character.
That's probably why they added the secondary objectives. But they really need to redesign the combat system for the next game. The problem is, I'm not sure they can pull it off if they only have one year before AC3 comes out.

Gamiel

Neo Member
ZealousD said:
Okay, so I have a question for you history/geography buffs. Sequence 6 spoilers!

Montreal? Isn't that a bit early? I'm pretty sure France didn't have a foothold in the New World until the 1600's at the very least. Is a different Montreal being referenced here? Assassin's Creed is usually historically accurate, it seems bonkers that the game developers wouldn't know when the city they live and work in was founded. o_O

There are several Montreals in France. Here's one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montréal,_Aude

Top Bottom