• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

pahamrick

ZealousD said:
Do we know whether they were founded before or after the Montreal in Quebec?

There's a Montréal in France that was founded well before the one in Quebec. Here is a tourism site talking about it, as well as mentioning its 12th century Church.

dwebo said:
Did you play AC2? Most, if not all of your complaints would apply to that as well. I mean, it would've been nice if they fixed everything for ACB, but one-year dev time and all that.
This really, REALLY is just a large expansion to AC2. So yeah, all the AC2 complaints rear their head here too, except the game economy is expanded, taking towers is more challenging and impactful, and the assassin's guild setup is, how do I put this? fuck awesome.

In terms of escalation, I think Ubi did put some thought into that. I was chasing after one Borgia Captain who was trying to flee. I tackled him to the ground and gave him a nice solid stabbing for the kill - turns out this whole scene was being watched by two guards a few yards away. I heard one scream "I have no more will to fight!" and they both turned tail and ran away. I just stood there and watched them run, adjusting my cape and just in general looking like the god king of assassins. Good times :)

Here's hoping AC3 puts some much needed polish on the parkour mechanics - most notably being able to get down quickly, especially for small drops.

fernoca

sdornan said:
I still wish they'd take more liberties with the Animus concept when you're actually in the Animus. For example, things happening in the world that shouldn't happen They kind of provided a glimpse of that near the end of AC2, but didn't go any farther with it in AC:B. In this game, in fact, there was virtually no interaction between the Animus and the real world.
That's on the game in some degree. The "Templar Missions" (with the
Abstergo
logo) which serve to introduce the multiplayer characters into the game. The stories of all characters are kinda related to a sudden change. Like
the husband that designed posters, but suddenly started working for the Borgias; or the other husband thatbsuddenly started killing people by pushing them from roofstops
. Seems to imply that
Abstergo is connecting those agents/templars and trying to change some aspects of the story or at least Ezio's.
Something that is also teased during the intro sequence of the multiplayer mode.

sdornan said:
What was even the point of letting you leave the Animus? There was nothing to do besides reading a few jokes implemented as e-mail messages and listening to a couple of lines of dialog from the three NPCs in the room.
Aside the items you can find hidden around, which at the moment had no purpose; there were more than jokes in the emails. Some even explaining situations like
they losing contact with the assassins guild in Denver.
And the possible introduction of a new character, someone
not from Absertgo or the Assassins
into the story
calling himself "Erudito".

oktarb said:
My day three review on ponderings (single player):

The Bad:
? Guards sometimes run as fast as me in full sprint mode or even worse as fast as me when I’m on horse. Doesn’t seems consistent but when it does happen it’s a real BS moment.

In AC2 there were guards with light armor who could out run you. I assume its the same.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I really wish they didn't tie achievements/trophies to the multiplayer. I've lost count of how many people I've yanked out of hay bales. It still amuses me, so maybe it's a wash.

iNvid02

infinityBCRT said:
In AC2 there were guards with light armor who could out run you. I assume its the same.

agiles - they will always catch you in a full on sprint/climb so don't bother running from them unless you have smoke bombs

Really enjoying the SP. My only major complaint are the Borgia Captains. I hate trying to get to them only for them to run away in 10 seconds. Any good tips for knocking a guy off his horse?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Really enjoying the SP. My only major complaint are the Borgia Captains. I hate trying to get to them only for them to run away in 10 seconds. Any good tips for knocking a guy off his horse?
Arrow Storm his ass.

DevelopmentArrested said:
i really think they shouldn't have let you use your horse in the city only because technically the game CANNOT handle it at all.

I don't really have a problem with it.

I also gotta say how genius it's been of them to keep the real world segments extremely subdued, or empty, or what have you. It makes it so that pop-up and various other technical glitches ONLY happen inside the animus, where they can be explained away via fiction.

LiK

DevelopmentArrested said:
i really think they shouldn't have let you use your horse in the city only because technically the game CANNOT handle it at all.
I love running down the peasants!

Quick MP question. Can anyone confirm that you can play MP with a NAT 3 connection? I'm stuck with NAT3 (Yes I've forwarded my ports etc. It's my stupid isp.) and was curious wether or not I'll be able to play.

Xater

jett said:
Sux for you, you missed out on a lot of neat character interaction with your crew.

I don't know. They game really didn't give me any reaon to leave the Animus. Reading e-mails did not exactly sound compelling and I still can't stand the crew. Especially the british guy, he is still not funny and just a dick.

NinjaFridge said:
Just finished the Single Player.

Motherfucker.
Am trying to figure up if that's a step up or down from AC2's What in the holy fuck?? ending. :lol

Considering how much I love to explore these games, I probably have another couple of weeks before I reach the ending.

LiK

Xater said:
I don't know. They game really didn't give me any reaon to leave the Animus. Reading e-mails did not exactly sound compelling and I still can't stand the crew. Especially the british guy, he is still not funny and just a dick.
British guy is really great in Brotherhood. Much nicer to Desmond and funnier. I guess there's always YouTube

fernoca

Blue Ninja said:
Pretty much what I thought. Nicely put, good sir.
I think it was also a reference of what the actor that voices Desmond (Nolan North) said to Patrice Desilet when he was reading the script and reached "that part". :lol :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
LiK said:
British guy is really great in Brotherhood. Much nicer to Desmond and funnier. I guess there's always YouTube

Yeah Shaun is hilarious. :lol

jett

D-Member
Irish said:
I'm disappointed that the whole "Templars vs. Assassins" thing has been really downplayed in the last two games.

I don't see how that was downplayed in AC2 and AC:B. Both games revolve around it. :p

derFeef

Started today and played a bit. I guess I should have played AC2 because the first hour I was like WTF all the time. I have no idea what everyone is talking about.

jett

D-Member
derFeef said:
Started today and played a bit. I guess I should have played AC2 because the first hour I was like WTF all the time. I have no idea what everyone is talking about.

You fucked up, mayne. You should play AC2 first.

Irish

jett said:
I don't see how that was downplayed in AC2 and AC:B. Both games revolve around it. :p

It was more like Ezio had a personal vendetta against them. Ezio just doesn't feel like an Assassin in the "faction" sense.

I don't know why, but I feel so disconnected from the story in the last two games.

Dreavus

Has anyone unlocked higher level multiplayer abilities and wants to give a quick run down? I played the multiplayer beta, but haven't got the retail game yet because I'm waiting to finish AC2 first. I'm curious about what other powers you get aside from smoke, disguise, morph, sprint, gun, and poison.

(I tried googling, but people just have a lists of what you earn and what level you earn it, not what they do!)

dwebo

Dreavus said:
Has anyone unlocked higher level multiplayer abilities and wants to give a quick run down? I played the multiplayer beta, but haven't got the retail game yet because I'm waiting to finish AC2 first. I'm curious about what other powers you get aside from smoke, disguise, morph, sprint, gun, and poison.

(I tried googling, but people just have a lists of what you earn and what level you earn it, not what they do!)
Apart from what you listed:

- decoy, causes an npc to morph into your character skin and run off
- mute, prevents people from attacking you or using abilities
- firecracker, like a flashbang, also scares npcs into cowering
- templar vision, reveals your target and any pursuers, but also makes you glow gold
- throwing knives, slows target down, also knocks them down if they're climbing / perched
- charge, speeds you up and lets you knock over people, can use to both assassinate and stun

Somewhat listed in order of how effective I've found them to be. If charge was like the vanguard's move in Mass Effect 2 it'd be pretty sweet, but I haven't found much use for it.

Xater

LiK said:

Maybe, he annoyed me in the beginning and the end so maybe he jsut rubs me the wrong way.

Blue Ninja said:
He should play AC1 first, if he hasn't already. Just to make the AC2 experience even more awesome.

He really should not. The first game is just not good, watching the cutscenes of that one might be alright.

derFeef

Blue Ninja said:
He should play AC1 first, if he hasn't already. Just to make the AC2 experience even more awesome.
Could not finish AC1, it was too.. I don´t know. I never thought of touching AC2 after that and I ignored everything - I guess I really messed up. Are there some nice story synopsis? That would help me out I guess.

Xater

derFeef said:
Could not finish AC1, it was too.. I don´t know. I never thought of touching AC2 after that and I ignored everything - I guess I really messed up. Are there some nice story synopsis? That would help me out I guess.

There is a very brief video at the beginning of Brotherhood that will not really help you out. I don't remember AC2 having some kind of recap but it's been a while.

BTW I hated playing AC1 after the first 5 hours. Shit just got way oo repeitive and boring. I basically only finished it for the story. I am glad I did because with AC2 they brought the series on track.

fernoca

Yeah. I was really disappointed with ACI. And tried to avoid ACII because of that. But I still liked the concept and the look of the character (white hoodie, blades, etc.) plus the story behind it; so gave it a chance. And it ended being my favorite game of 2009, tied with Uncharted 2.

And I think is safe to say, that Brotherhood is my favorite game of 2010. :)

Xater said:
There is a very brief video at the beginning of Brotherhood that will not really help you out. I don't remember AC2 having some kind of recap but it's been a while.

BTW I hated playing AC1 after the first 5 hours. Shit just got way oo repeitive and boring. I basically only finished it for the story. I am glad I did because with AC2 they brought the series on track.
Yeah, ACI had one. With Desmond explaining what happened, Lucy's reveal as an assassin, Altair and the apple.

And yeah, the Assassins vs. Templars is still there. Is the whole basis of Ezio's motives. It gave the impression of being downplayed in the 2012 aspects of the game, but the emails, glyphs confirm that they are still there and quite powerful too. Plus there are sidemissions centered about that too.

conman

Xater said:
He really should not. The first game is just not good, watching the cutscenes of that one might be alright.
I'd say everyone should at least give the first game a shot. Most people didn't like it, but those of us who did like it, really liked it. So I wouldn't dismiss it without giving it a chance first, especially if you like the world of AC.

I really suggest that people do the side quests as they pop up. It really adds to the story IMO.

I did all the thieves and courtesans missions as soon as I could.

Does anyone know where I can find a
Shrunken Head?
I got one from a tomb but I need one more.

conman said:
I'd say everyone should at least give the first game a shot. Most people didn't like it, but those of us who did like it, really liked it. So I wouldn't dismiss it without giving it a chance first, especially if you like the world of AC.

Agreed. I still like mission structure better in the first one. It was just killed by the constant traveling and guards spotting you.

TTG

Finally got this from Gamefly the other day. My anticipation was kind of dulled by the quick turn around from AC2 and keeping the same setting... but first impressions are positive. Loved AC1 and 2, while not a real sequel, it looks like they haven't dropped the ball at all for Brotherhood. I liked what they did with the Assassin mansion/villa, you knew the destruction was coming, but the way they brought it back was awesome. Borgia towers are new, from the in game descriptions I read, I'm hoping there is a wrinkle or two in how you tackle them individually.

A question about the story... what's with the first cutscene? There was a guy in the 2nd game that I seem to remember killing, or rather having a choice to kill, is that him? Who is that douche?

dwebo said:
Apart from what you listed:

- decoy, causes an npc to morph into your character skin and run off
- mute, prevents people from attacking you or using abilities
- firecracker, like a flashbang, also scares npcs into cowering
- templar vision, reveals your target and any pursuers, but also makes you glow gold
- throwing knives, slows target down, also knocks them down if they're climbing / perched
- charge, speeds you up and lets you knock over people, can use to both assassinate and stun

Somewhat listed in order of how effective I've found them to be. If charge was like the vanguard's move in Mass Effect 2 it'd be pretty sweet, but I haven't found much use for it.

If you charge at your pursuer and mash B, you always beat their assassination with your stun. It and smoke bomb basically act as guaranteed stuns to any pursuer you notice.

EDIT: In addition, if you charge into a group that's been morphed and mash X, you'll always autopick your target.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
DualShadow said:
*snip*

Does anyone know where I can find a
Shrunken Head?
I got one from a tomb but I need one more.
I found one in a chest in Rome. It was by some pillars :D
I wouldn't fixate on the shop quests, you'll drive yourself crazy. I actually think I got some from sending my recruits on a reward mission. It's pretty random, but you'll run across it eventually.

TTG said:
A question about the story... what's with the first cutscene? There was a guy in the 2nd game that I seem to remember killing, or rather having a choice to kill, is that him? Who is that douche?
I can only assume you're talking about Rodrigo Borgia, also known as the Spaniard. He's the Grand Master of the Templar order, and responsible for the death of Ezio's family in AC2's prologue. By the end of AC2,
he's become Pope Alexander VI, because he wanted to find the Vault underneath it. Ezio ultimately decided not to kill him at the end of AC2, because he felt pity for how misguided he was.
Or something.

Xater said:
The first game really isn't all that bad. Sure, it got a little repetive, and the omniscient guards were a bit of a pain in the ass, but I liked it. It was a flawed game, but that made its evolution into Assassin's Creed II only sweeter.

dwebo

Snapshot King said:
If you charge at your pursuer and mash B, you always beat their assassination with your stun. It and smoke bomb basically act as guaranteed stuns to any pursuer you notice.

EDIT: In addition, if you charge into a group that's been morphed and mash X, you'll always autopick your target.
Damn, I didn't know about either of those uses. I just remember I tried charging towards a target and getting immediately stunned with a smoke bomb. It should be immune to stuns imo, especially since there's no kill bonus for using it, and you also miss out on the stealth bonuses.

YuriLowell said:
Does the Audio Crack Horribly on the PS3?
I never noticed this, though I just output 2.0 stereo through my tv's speakers.

YuriLowell said:
Does the Audio Crack Horribly on the PS3?

Its so bad on the 360 its almost unplayable.

Its really ruining my enjoyment of it.
You sure your audio system isn't just going on the fritz? I'm playing the 360 version, and my sound is fine.

Blue Ninja said:
You sure your audio system isn't just going on the fritz? I'm playing the 360 version, and my sound is fine.

Its fine with every other game, and with my directv. Has to be the game.

Im running a 5.1 SVS system with a yamaha-1065.

dwebo said:
Damn, I didn't know about either of those uses. I just remember I tried charging towards a target and getting immediately stunned with a smoke bomb. It should be immune to stuns imo, especially since there's no kill bonus for using it, and you also miss out on the stealth bonuses.

I never noticed this, though I just output 2.0 stereo through my tv's speakers.

If you do it right next to a group your targets hiding in, you can very easily still get incognito, and if it were immune to stuns it'd be overpowered because it does the job of several other abilities at the same time. That's why it has a 90 second cooldown.

conman said:
Along these lines I'm hoping that AC3 will finally allow us to play without any HUD elements.

Ubi could do this by expanding the utility of Eagle Vision. For one thing, expand the range on it, as its sometimes easier to spot guards with the naked eye rather than by the red glow. For primary objectives, allow the glitching to expand higher into the sky, visible from any rooftop as a distinct beam of light. Also, while in Eagle Vision increase the sounds of nearby treasures and faction NPCs.

Little touches like these will allow those of us who want to disable the HUD to do so, all the while extending the usefulness of Eagle Vision. Players can use it in lieu of the mini map should they desire to, which is a good thing in my book. For such a vast gamespace filled to the brim with side missions, the minimap itself reduces all of it to a simple matter of going from one memory to the next.

dwebo

Snapshot King said:
If you do it right next to a group your targets hiding in, you can very easily still get incognito, and if it were immune to stuns it'd be overpowered because it does the job of several other abilities at the same time. That's why it has a 90 second cooldown.
Hmm, I dunno. I mean you're really obvious when you're using it, and the basic level wasn't particularly fast IIRC. I guess I'll give it another shot later in some manhunt matches.

dwebo said:
Hmm, I dunno. I mean you're really obvious when you're using it, and the basic level wasn't particularly fast IIRC. I guess I'll give it another shot later in some manhunt matches.

No, I mean, it's useful when someones standing somewhere in a morphed group, or you're walking towards a morphed group that's moving in any direction instead of away from you. You get maybe 2 feet from them, hit charge, and mash. Incognito. Trust me on this.

dwebo

Snapshot King said:
No, I mean, it's useful when someones standing somewhere in a morphed group, or you're walking towards a morphed group that's moving in any direction by away from you. You get maybe 2 feet from them, hit charge, and mash. Incognito. Trust me on this.
Okay okay I'm trying it later! :lol

Irish

conman said:

Agreed. I won't argue that the first Assassin's Creed was a better game (it certainly wasn't), but, for me, the experience just simply isn't the same in the sequels.

The assassination aspect of the series was fully realized in the first game even though everything else may not have been completely together. The introduction of the targets and the buildup to each has yet to be matched.

It felt like Altair was killing in order to free the people from their oppressive masters (which can be clearly seen as each target is introduced) in the first game whereas Ezio is simply killing for revenge even though he may be saving people in the process. I think Brotherhood began moving back in that direction by having the Borgia towers and the renovations, but it still feels like way too much of a personal journey.

I hope our next protagonist is more of a mixture of Ezio and Altair instead of a continuation down the Ezio personality road.

I really thought they DID make some good improvements for Brotherhood. The combat is much better now that it's faster. Also, they fixed (I think) the issue regarding corners in this game. In AC2 I had a nightmare of a time trying to land on or use a platform or beam that wsn't at a right angle or straight from me. I would miss 50% of the time because it would not detect right; it was my biggest complaint. It seems soooo much easier now to just run on the diagonals and not miss anything.

Top Bottom