• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

rvy

Banned
Darknessbear said:
It's also surprising how much better that graphics are in AC1. :D
True. I have no idea how they went from gorgeous realistic graphics in AC to cartoony character models in AC II.

Volcynika

Anyone had an issue on the PS3 version where it won't pull out the crossbow? I keep selecting it then the game is like WELL YOU SELECTED HIDDEN BLADES! I'm still able to use the gun but it sometimes just won't let me use the crossbow.

jett

D-Member
Volcynika said:
Anyone had an issue on the PS3 version where it won't pull out the crossbow? I keep selecting it then the game is like WELL YOU SELECTED HIDDEN BLADES! I'm still able to use the gun but it sometimes just won't let me use the crossbow.

Yes, easy fix: go to any weapons shop and re-equip the crossbow from there.

bumpkin

Hmm, I hope that whatever takes place outside of the Animus between sequences isn't limited only to that particular place and time. I haven't left it for at least two or three sequences (I just started sequence 7). In the original AC, I got hosed on one of the achievements because I missed an opportunity to talk to Lucy.

MjFrancis

Well, there are two achievements you can miss that are outside the Animus, and I don't know if you can leave the Animus after a certain sequence. Better go through them while you can just to be sure.

Ledsen

bumpkin said:
Hmm, I hope that whatever takes place outside of the Animus between sequences isn't limited only to that particular place and time. I haven't left it for at least two or three sequences (I just started sequence 7). In the original AC, I got hosed on one of the achievements because I missed an opportunity to talk to Lucy.

You better do everything you want outside the Animus before a specific mission in (I think) Sequence 8. Also make sure to finish all the Subject 16 puzzles and then exit the Animus to have a special conversation that you can't get after you finish the game. All the conversations with your teammates are also sequence-specific, so you've missed a few.

MjFrancis said:
Well, there are two achievements you can miss that are outside the Animus, and I don't know if you can leave the Animus after a certain sequence. Better go through them while you can just to be sure.

crap! one of them is the (early game spoiler)
email one
but what's the other? i haven't beaten the game yet - taking my sweet time, since I heard you can do almost all the side-stuff after the story ends. but it sounds like i should prioritize the subject 16 codes before i finish the main story based on what ledsen said.

is the other 2012 achievement
"find one artifact in 2012"
because i had just assumed that was part of the main storyline. or is that just the
statue searching in monteriggoni
that i read had no real purpose?

Ledsen said:
You better do everything you want outside the Animus before a specific mission in (I think) Sequence 8. Also make sure to finish all the Subject 16 puzzles and then exit the Animus to have a special conversation that you can't get after you finish the game. All the conversations with your teammates are also sequence-specific, so you've missed a few.

Damn, im very much at the end of the game.
Modern day colloseum looks immense, graphically this is one of the best looking things ive seen, its such a step up from the rest of the game, woah.

What other conversations have I missed, Ive read every email, ive talked to them at the start of every single sequence, and ive also triggered cutscenes from when I went to the food table and talked to Altairs statue. :lol

I thought I would do the Subject 16 puzzles after the game, oh well :( - I guess theres always Youtube.

glaurung

oddworld18 said:
crap! one of them is the (early game spoiler)
email one
but what's the other? i haven't beaten the game yet - taking my sweet time, since I heard you can do almost all the side-stuff after the story ends. but it sounds like i should prioritize the subject 16 codes before i finish the main story based on what ledsen said.

is the other 2012 achievement
"find one artifact in 2012"
because i had just assumed that was part of the main storyline. or is that just the
statue searching in monteriggoni
that i read had no real purpose?
The second 2012 trophy is given for
finding any one of the five artifacts from the past that are littered around the villa. Head to the roof for the easiest one or to the church for another one. I have not found all five myself.

Ledsen said:
Well this is disappointing. Kinda wished you were forced out of the Animus after completing each sequence. I guess I'll start up a new save once I get back.
Also is there a map for all Borgia flags available to purchase? I've come across a few on the map but certainly not all all 101.

ultron87 said:
Beat it. Loved the game.

Only complaint about the last act,
the missions where you had to use the Apple were dreadful. And it's really sad that that is the last time you get to use your guild. I would have loved to fight sword by sword with all of them one last time. Instead I had to mind a stupid AOE attack.
I thought the
apple
sucked too and would've rather used my sword. That being said when I went back and watched a youtube vid of the ending I noticed that I was using it the wrong way.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jeff Stephen said:
Well this is disappointing. Kinda wished you were forced out of the Animus after completing each sequence. I guess I'll start up a new save once I get back.
Also is there a map for all Borgia flags available to purchase? I've come across a few on the map but certainly not all all 101.

There's a map for every district in the game, although they won't be available at first. If you don't have a flag map, sometimes they will appear on the map if you use Eagle Vision near one.

Jeff Stephen said:

It looks like the maps unlock for purchase after you hit 100% of Rome rebuilt. They're pricey, around 17k each. I got them last night, and I don't think they cover flags in the Romulus lairs.

Sai

oddworld18 said:
It looks like the maps unlock for purchase after you hit 100% of Rome rebuilt.
No, more of them unlock as you progress through the game. Might depend on your synch rate, or how many sequences you've completed.

They're pricey, around 17k each. I got them last night, and I don't think they cover flags in the Romulus lairs.
They don't, but all of the Borgia Flags in the Romulus Lairs are all pretty much along the path, and easy to spot. Maps for them would be kind of unnecessary.

Only reason I missed out on some of them in my first playthrough is because I was anxious to finish the game, see how the story plays out.

bumpkin

Sai said:
They don't, but all of the Borgia Flags in the Romulus Lairs are all pretty much along the path, and easy to spot. Maps for them would be kind of unnecessary.

Only reason I missed out on some of them in my first playthrough is because I was anxious to finish the game, see how the story plays out.
I think there's one flag that I missed in a Romulus Lair, but I couldn't tell you *which* Lair it was. All I can say is it was a flag in this square-ish alcove that wasn't reachable from any angle I could spot; it was just out of reach of simply scaling the wall beneath it. My only thought is to replay the Lair and try using a
parachute
when jumping off the pillar across the room and aim for it.

I haven't checked, but you can replay the Romulus Lairs, right?

Pooya

Ledsen said:
Is there a youtube link for this? I'm not in mood of beating the game again :\ .

Bebpo

Banned
oddworld18 said:
It looks like the maps unlock for purchase after you hit 100% of Rome rebuilt. They're pricey, around 17k each. I got them last night, and I don't think they cover flags in the Romulus lairs.

Even the Vatican area?

I'm at ~71% sync right post-game and I still don't have maps available for some sections.

rataven

Bebpo said:
Even the Vatican area?

I'm at ~71% sync right post-game and I still don't have maps available for some sections.
You have to first collect 25 flags on your own (use eagle vision), then shops will carry flag maps. You don't have to rebuild Rome first. I think the treasure maps unlock as you open more art merchant shops. You can also get a Vatican treasure map, but that's part of the art merchant shop quest.

Bebpo

Banned
rataven said:
You have to first collect 25 flags on your own, then shops will carry flag maps. You don't have to rebuild Rome first. I think the treasure maps unlock as you open more art merchant shops. You can also get a Vatican treasure map, but that's part of the art merchant shop quest.

My rome is at 100% and I have about 65 of the 83 flags in Rome (not counting secret locations) but there's only about 10 left on my map. Which means ~8 are unmapped right now and the art guy wasn't selling any new maps last time I checked.

rataven

Bebpo said:
My rome is at 100% and I have about 65 of the 83 flags in Rome (not counting secret locations) but there's only about 10 left on my map. Which means ~8 are unmapped right now and the art guy wasn't selling any new maps last time I checked.
Did you get the five flags in the Vatican? And I think the maps the art merchant sells are regional. Meaning you have to be in that district to purchase the flag map there.

Ledsen

Bebpo said:
Even the Vatican area?

I've got all the maps except the Vatican Treasure Map (since you need to finish a shop quest for it and fuck those). I assumed it was tied to game progress since I got the last one around sequence 8 or so, but I do have a high synch rate (did all the sidequests, upgraded everything fully and found all collectibles).

edit: and yeah guy above is right, you have to buy the maps in each district.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh, Vatican map is a shop quest? No wonder I'm missing it.

I have like 2 of the Vatican flags. Guess I need to just scout out the district.

Ledsen

bumpkin said:
I think there's one flag that I missed in a Romulus Lair, but I couldn't tell you *which* Lair it was. All I can say is it was a flag in this square-ish alcove that wasn't reachable from any angle I could spot; it was just out of reach of simply scaling the wall beneath it. My only thought is to replay the Lair and try using a
parachute
when jumping off the pillar across the room and aim for it.

I haven't checked, but you can replay the Romulus Lairs, right?

You can check in the DNA which Lair you're missing a flag for. And yes, you can replay them. None of them require any special items, just normal climbing.

Bebpo said:
Oh, Vatican map is a shop quest? No wonder I'm missing it.

I have like 2 of the Vatican flags. Guess I need to just scout out the district.

Only the treasure map, the flag map can be bought normally in the Centro District (and maybe in the other ones as well, didn't check).

jett said:
It's not that they are better, they're also different. AC1 has a much more realistic look to it, especially the character models, which border on cartoonish in AC2 and ACB. Textures might also be higher quality, but it's worth pointing out that Florence and Venice are much bigger and more varied than the cities in AC1, especially vertically. :p
I think we also should remember that in AC1 that space you were in out of the animus consisted of 2 rooms. In AC2 it was a much bigger place, which is probably why they toned down the detail of the original animus room that you're in.

So i just finished the Romulus Lairs (best part of the game so far), I haven't finished the real game yet, but I noticed on the map key it says "Templar Lairs" but I don't see any listed around. Do these become visible once you beat the game or something? I want some more "lair" platforming action.

Denzar

Aaah! Why the fuck is the text in this game in dutch (Belgian here)?

My 360's system language is english, the chracters speak english but everything else is in Dutch. The fuck? I want it in english. There is no option to change it...fucking Ubisoft.

1stStrike

Banned
Deepack said:
Aaah! WHy the fuck is the text in this game in dutch (Belgian here)?

My 360's system language is english, the chracters speak english but the other text is all in Dutch. The fuck? I want it in english. There is no option to change it...fucking Ubisoft.

...What? I never had that issue (PS3 version).

Amir0x

Banned
All of sequence eight should have been fucking modified to have some interesting end missions. All the boring
apple BLAST
missions were lame.

Denzar

1stStrike said:
...What? I never had that issue (PS3 version).
Yeah, on PS3 you just put your system language in english and all the games adapt.

On 360 it appears not to be the case. It could have been worse, but dutch text is still horseshit.

TSAGoodness said:
So i just finished the Romulus Lairs (best part of the game so far), I haven't finished the real game yet, but I noticed on the map key it says "Templar Lairs" but I don't see any listed around. Do these become visible once you beat the game or something? I want some more "lair" platforming action.

If there is a Templar Lair available you will see the symbol on the map. They open up throughout the game but I'm pretty sure some are 'exclusive DLC' and shit like that.

1stStrike

Banned
Amir0x said:
All of sequence eight should have been fucking modified to have some interesting end missions. All the boring
apple BLAST
missions were lame.

Rofl, they should have named it that in the game.

Desmond> What do I do with this thing?

Lucy>
Apple blast them!

Desmond>
Apple what? Is that a chewing gum?

Deepack said:
Yeah, on PS3 you just put your system language in english and all the games adapt.

On 360 it appears not to be the case. It could have been worse, but dutch text is still horseshit.

Wow, and once again I am glad I've stuck with Sony over the years.

Ledsen

Deepack said:

My 360's system language is english, the chracters speak english but everything else is in Dutch. The fuck? I want it in english. There is no option to change it...fucking Ubisoft.

System Language has no effect, you have to change your location (to something like UK or US). Stupid, but that's how the game works.

1stStrike said:
Wow, and once again I am glad I've stuck with Sony over the years.

See above :) Also it has nothing to do with Microsoft, it's the way the developers implemented language changing in the game.

Deepack said:

I just set my console's locale to United Kingdom, that did the trick for me. Like you, I prefer to keep the dutch language out of my games.

ACII had the same problem, really. I had my system's locale set to UK for at least six months because of that game.

voltron

big_z said:
fuck i hate the white gradient they put over the screen. looks like shit, especially in darker areas.

Same here.

Actually its kinda weird... I just got a new HDTV and initially I was just stoked at gorgeous the game looked. Especially the lighting. Then I noticed the white gradient thing up the top. I got worried thinking it was my TV but a quick google search eased those fears. After seeing all the complaints I too was finding it so annoying that I couldnt play any more.

Then for whatever reason I stopped caring. Now I barely notice and if I do is in a really detached sort of "oh look theres that stupid fucking gradient think"... and then I forget about it.

So my advice? Get yourself to that same headspace:D

In all seriousness it was CLEARLY an intentional thing that has some effect on how the natural lighting in the world looks. When the camera is at certain angles it gives the world a really realistic type of lighting. I guess Ubi felt the pros outweighed the cons. ie. a stupid fucking white bar that covers a third of the screen thats extremely visible when you go through tunnels etc.

So anyone know what update was for?

edit: I just turned the game on and there was update... in case no one knew what I was talking about.

Denzar

Oh awesome. Thanks guys, will change my location first thing when I fire up my XBox again.

And @ 1stStrike, the funny thing is, I bought Ass Creed 1&2 on PS3 and I decided to go for ACB on 360 for once.

Pooya

I think the game reads ACII save file if there is any, color of Ezio's robe in the beginning of the game is determined by that I think, neat.

FrankT

1stStrike said:
Yes, it does read your AC2 save game because I had the same amount of money I had when I finished AC2 when I started up AC:B

So did I and then it just disappeared for some reason. It had to be either A reading achievements or B cloud save or something because I didn't have my ACII save on this 360.

Phenomic

Somewhat off topic but I'm curious to know never the less. It relates to the series as a whole and I don't really feel it's warranted to make a whole thread asking a single question.

Was the PSP Game with Altair worth playing at all what so ever? Or is it complete shovel-ware that should be avoided at all costs? I avoided it when it came out because the reception didn't seem worth the investment. However, it's cheaper now and I wouldn't mind playing through it if it wasn't completely horrific.

What say you Gaf?

Okay, finished the game last night. I was left with two basic thoughts:

- The end game of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood goes a long way to retroactively ruin the game before it.

- This series can not sustain yearly installments.

Everyone has been throwing around the phrase "If they keep it this good, they can make it yearly." The problem is, it's clearly slipping already. Lots of Rome is copy and pasted from AC2, every ruined building is ruined in exactly the same way up top, mission directives are sometimes boring and uninteresting, and the end of the game...my god, the end. I have never seen a game so obviously rushed to make a deadline.

Even what is ostensibly the big mechanic change for the single player, the use of the guild, is randomly turned off during some missions. The actual training of the assassins is busywork. You click thing, fill up a percentage bar, then they eventually come back except this time with possible nutmeg.

And oh my god, the promotion scenes. Really? Really? Not only is it completely unskippable, but you can't even teleport to the hideout to do it. You have to go there, exit a door, and come back in before the unskippable cutscene will start that is exactly the same every goddamn time.

I've already mentioned how badly the last few missions dropped the ball. I could not picture a worse denouement to the game. I've never been a firm believer in the idea that games are made chronologically, where the first part is made first and the last part made last, but damn if it doesn't feel like the final leg of this game was as rushed as it could possibly be.

All in all, I picture Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood like someone rushing to cook an hour long meal in half an hour. The basic ingredients are there, but they're undercooked, and you don't see how bad it is before you take a bite.

I'll be skipping next year's installment, I think.

ShockingAlberto said:
Okay, finished the game last night. I was left with two basic thoughts:

- The end game of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood goes a long way to retroactively ruin the game before it.

- This series can not sustain yearly installments.

Everyone has been throwing around the phrase "If they keep it this good, they can make it yearly." The problem is, it's clearly slipping already. Lots of Rome is copy and pasted from AC2, every ruined building is ruined in exactly the same way up top, mission directives are sometimes boring and uninteresting, and the end of the game...my god, the end. I have never seen a game so obviously rushed to make a deadline.

Even what is ostensibly the big mechanic change for the single player, the use of the guild, is randomly turned off during some missions. The actual training of the assassins is busywork. You click thing, fill up a percentage bar, then they eventually come back except this time with possible nutmeg.

And oh my god, the promotion scenes. Really? Really? Not only is it completely unskippable, but you can't even teleport to the hideout to do it. You have to go there, exit a door, and come back in before the unskippable cutscene will start that is exactly the same every goddamn time.

I've already mentioned how badly the last few missions dropped the ball. I could not picture a worse denouement to the game. I've never been a firm believer in the idea that games are made chronologically, where the first part is made first and the last part made last, but damn if it doesn't feel like the final leg of this game was as rushed as it could possibly be.

All in all, I picture Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood like someone rushing to cook an hour long meal in half an hour. The basic ingredients are there, but they're undercooked, and you don't see how bad it is before you take a bite.

I'll be skipping next year's installment, I think.
For me, there were so many improvements have been made to the game mechanics and there were enough enjoyable plot points in the game for me
Subject 16, Cesare's strange death, stabbing of Lucy, Juno's exposition about the sixth sense & finding Eve

Thing is AC: B wasn't just made over the last year. I'm pretty sure the development of Brotherhood was happening simultaneously with AC2 (and remember some random Ubi employee posting on neogaf about that too, at the time he called it AC3). There was a point where it probably was supposed to be one game and then was split into two. You can tell they already did significant work on the city of Rome just looking at the ending sequence. Most people at the time were convinced that Rome was supposed to be a fully playable city and was cut out of the end of AC2.

In terms of your guild members not being available, I believe it was during
Leonardo missions and during *some* of the end game stuff but not all of it. Wasn't that big of a deal to me

When you say promotion cutscene, do you mean when you save a citizen? That cutscene lasts like 8 seconds and you only see it like 9 or 10 times during the game...

1stStrike

Banned
If you really want to see a rushed game then play Xenogears. Disc 1 is amazing. Then you pop in disc 2 and you're like "wtf is this?"

Volcynika

When you say promotion cutscene, do you mean when you save a citizen? That cutscene lasts like 8 seconds and you only see it like 9 or 10 times during the game...

He probably means when a guild member becomes a full fledged assassin / maxed out on level, and you watch the ceremony for them to be 'inducted' or whatever.

Volcynika said:
He probably means when a guild member becomes a full fledged assassin / maxed out on level, and you watch the ceremony for them to be 'inducted' or whatever.
Oh wow, I don't think I ever saw that. I leveled up my Assassins to around level 7 or 8. How long is the ceremony?

Top Bottom