• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

Volcynika

infinityBCRT said:
Oh wow, I don't think I ever saw that. I leveled up my Assassins to around level 7 or 8. How long is the ceremony?

Maybe 15-20 seconds ish max (I may be overshooting this)? I only have seen it once, but the fact it's unskippable is kinda lame.

Najaf

I miss the welcoming feeling of the home in ACII. I walk into my place in this game and for the first half there is not a soul in sight. Then, there are a few nameless assassin recruits hanging about.

I want to see old Leonardo building some crazy thing in his own private workspace. I want to see my recruits practicing shiving some wooden targets or sharpening their blades. I want a secretary to manage my guild business that has a personality like Claudia did in II. I wanted the architect/engineer to be a consistent character that said a clever one liner whenever I told him to build an aqueduct section. He also should stay in my place. I wanted something to happen when I put the tenth feather in the box. Give the place some life with people to talk to. For being this big shot assassin leader, I sure am a lonely one. Where are my women at? I practically made a harem by recruiting mostly good looking females. I would ride by a recruitment icon, see that it was some dude, then just keep on going. *good luck buddy!* Ezio is this ladies man but I don't get to pursue anyone besides the beginning of the game?

It is a great game, but I love coming home to something a little more cozy.

Volcynika

Also, this moment oddly weirded me out even though it probably shouldn't. The part in the Subject 16 Cluster things (I think it's 8?) where
you unscramble the voice recording where a guy calls his cable company talking about the weird monitoring channel. Then the 'supervisor' says a technician is coming over, and the customer's daughter says some strange man is hitting the door and you hear it in the background. Supervisor says "Have a good day" then hangs up

I'm not sure why it unsettled me a bit, but still weird! :lol

Najaf

Volcynika said:
Also, this moment oddly weirded me out even though it probably shouldn't. The part in the Subject 16 Cluster things (I think it's 8?) where
you unscramble the voice recording where a guy calls his cable company talking about the weird monitoring channel. Then the 'supervisor' says a technician is coming over, and the customer's daughter says some strange man is hitting the door and you hear it in the background. Supervisor says "Have a good day" then hangs up

No, you should be weirded out by that sequence.

Pooya

Subject 16 puzzles in both ACII and ACB are very well done and considering that the guy who wrote those is now writing the whole script for the series makes me very excited for the story in future games.

miladesn said:
Subject 16 puzzles in both ACII and ACB are very well done and considering that the guy who wrote those is now writing the whole script for the series makes me very excited for the story in future games.
I think there was a little more variety to the AC2 truth stuff. As much as I like ACB, I didn't like that every ACB truth puzzle seemed to have the same type of stuff in it. In AC2 there was a little bit more mind fuckery.

1stStrike

Banned
Volcynika said:

Oh that shit was crazy. I couple of the voice recordings were pretty awesome. The conspiracy theorists are eating this shit up.

infinityBCRT said:
I think there was a little more variety to the AC2 truth stuff. As much as I like ACB, I didn't like that every ACB truth puzzle seemed to have the same type of stuff in it. In AC2 there was a little bit more mind fuckery.

Yeah I agree, AC2 seemed to offer genuinly weird announcments. The truth turned out to be a lot more interesting aswell - im not entirely sure what happened with the truth in AC Brotherhood.

Still love all the conspiracy theory stuff, and that ongoing game of chess was quite frankly genius.

My worry with Assassins Creed coming in yearly installments is that it just cant innovate. They have a awesome story panned out, and so im not worried about that, thats gonna be awesome regardless, but I fear for the excecution - will the game be fun? Will there be enough time to get really creative? Im not so sure, I think yearly releases are gonna ruin what is potentially an amazing franchise.

crispyben

Anyone know why why "Secret Locations" synchronization is at 0% when I've done the first Lair of Romulus mission (Terme di Traiano)?

bubnbob

Banned
crispyben said:
Anyone know why why "Secret Locations" synchronization is at 0% when I've done the first Lair of Romulus mission (Terme di Traiano)?

Terme di Triano is considered part of the regular story / Sequence. The other 5 are Secret Locations.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Volcynika said:
Maybe 15-20 seconds ish max (I may be overshooting this)? I only have seen it once, but the fact it's unskippable is kinda lame.

If you go the ceremony when multiple people are able to rank up you can pretty much bypass it. My entire team is all the highest rank and I've seen the ceremony twice.

rataven

Jeff Stephen said:
Was anyone able to clear the Exotica shop quest?
I've cleared all of lairs and I'm still short 1 Indian diamond and 1 shrunken head.
I finally finished this quest last night. Both shrunken heads are found in treasure chests. One in the lair at the Palazzo Laterano and the other out in the country, I think in the Antico district. Buy a treasure map of that district to help locate it, though it might be a Noble chest, so you'll have to have renovated most of the art merchant shops for it to be available for purchase.

I ended up with quite a few Indian diamonds, which I found from looting Borgia couriers and the bandits who randomly attack Ezio around the city. I think there are a few in treasure chests too.

But honestly, the shop quests hardly seem worth all the trouble they require. The inclusion of this little mini-game befuddles me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
rataven said:
But honestly, the shop quests hardly seem worth all the trouble they require. The inclusion of this little mini-game befuddles me.

Yeah, all the items in general are just stupid additions. You never know what you need for quests until they come up. So by the time you realize you have all the shop quests, you got a lot of useless shit in your inventory and you've already had enough money to buy up all of Rome.

the story missions are absolutely horrible. no way am i going to bother with the next asscreed unless it is alot less restrictive.

one little fuck up resulting in a long ass reload is super annoying.

Here's a thought /concern for future ACs: What's going to come of the city rebuilding system? Surely they can't force that kind of mechanic in a new game with a new setting and character, right? That's Ezio's thing. I'm not sure I can swallow the fact that all Assassin members linked to our future/present hero would be Donald Trumps of their respective times. So what would be in its place to add that kind of variety?

And just to throw this out there.... I'd love an American Rev. war era AC. Just picture our hero in that colonial soldier get up with a long coat and tricorn hat (complete with the eagle beak) in a more ornate fashion stalking his target with his head down. SEXY! I wish I could make a gif of what's in my head right now. Also imagine a quick turn around to a squat where he pulls out a musket from within his jacket, fires it, slides it back inside his coat and turns back around to run. HOLY SHIT!

Zachack

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Here's a thought /concern for future ACs: What's going to come of the city rebuilding system? Surely they can't force that kind of mechanic in a new game with a new setting and character, right? That's Ezio's thing. I'm not sure I can swallow the fact that all Assassin members linked to our future/present hero would be Donald Trumps of their respective times. So what would be in its place to add that kind of variety?
You could still have a similar mechanic but explain it by using Brotherhood funds instead of personal funds. Maybe expand the system by having competing interests or the character be a city planner dealing with tax issues which causes the population to get more unrestful (this could tie into the French Revolution, which I'm assuming will be the next setting).

Actually, the latter could work well. Given the goofy junk I throw in-game money at (paintings for my mansassin cave, more weapons than I need), the idea of the main character being a low-level french noble trying to trigger the revolution by spending money on random building upgrades while people starve, all while undermining the aristocracy through stabbings, could be fun.

And just to throw this out there.... I'd love an American Rev. war era AC. Just picture our hero in that colonial soldier get up with a long coat and tricorn hat (complete with the eagle beak) in a more ornate fashion stalking his target with his head down. SEXY! I wish I could make a gif of what's in my head right now. Also imagine a quick turn around to a squat where he pulls out a musket from within his jacket, fires it, slides it back inside his coat and turns back around to run. HOLY SHIT!
I don't think there'd be enough tall buildings. It would be fun if there was expansion-pack DLC that added small stuff around the world or whatnot.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I liked the city rebuilding system, but I wouldn't shed a tear if it was removed from the next title in the series. The systems fit in with ACII and ACB's storyline, but since we still have no idea where the next one'll take us, it's a bit early to speculate.

Part of me would want the next sequel to take place in modern times as Desmond, who occasionally relives another ancestor's memory, perhaps through the bleeding effect. Another part of me just enjoys free running all over history.

Irish

MoonsaultSlayer said:

I saw this statue of Nathan Hale and immediately thought of Assassin's Creed:

Nathan-hale-cityhall.jpg

EDIT: And another one:

resized_Nathan_Hale.jpg

Grisby

Concept17 said:
Which are they? The email and artifact ones?

Yep.

On another note I've reached lvl31 in multiplayer. They released a patch to get into games quicker but its still a bit slow. Dunno if I'm gonna go for the 50 or not. Oh, and got the haystack achievement too. Felt too proud of those 5 points :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Please PM me if you've got openings in your friend list, and would like to swap.
I've got room for four more, I think.

Bebpo

Banned
Finished up all the SP sidestuff outside the flags (not bothering for the last few) and arena (how do you beat the first guy in 10 seconds?). The side missions were generally pretty good this time around, there were just too many of them. By the time you've done your 2nd group of courier/thief missions you're pretty sick of more of them popping up on your map screen :lol

At least since there's no achievements for the OCD "finish everything" stuff (besides flags), you don't have to do more than you enjoy.

After playing those last few Cristina missions, especially the one in Venice during Carnyvale, I hate Rome so much. Rome in ACB is the ugliest, most dull looking city of ruins and generic town ever. Walking around Venice even just for a few blocks in that Cristina mission reminded me of how cool looking venice was and how great it was running through these big streets with flags lines everywhere. Reminded me of how distinct certain areas were in AC2. The Florence flashbacks are a lot more enjoyable too. Florence and Venice not only have more intersting architecture in the games, but graphical I feel they just look like they had way more effort put into them. They look like big fleshed out cities and Rome looks like the leftovers. It's just so boring, especially if you're going to spend 20+ hours there.

The saddest thing is that even after 23 hours in a single city I still don't know my way around Rome at all. Like in the banker mission where you go to the party on the hill at night, I have no idea where that took place on the map since I didn't bring up my map during that sequence. I feel like I'm playing the whole game GTA style where I just stare at the mini-map and run accordingly. This is because the city areas in Rome all look the same and all have these narrow closed streets that make moving on ground level a pain in the ass. So your best option is rooftops. Yet the game has archers EVERYWHERE so if you stop for a second you set off an alert. I remember running rooftops in AC1/2 all the time without the pressure of guards always noticing me and starting to chase. Rome just is a pain to get around and not a fun place to have a stroll. Then when you get out into the fields, there's basically nothing but grass and cliffs that block you and borgia towers surrounded by tiny settlements with 1 of each shop. It's really boring and all looks the same.

Anyhow good game, but I don't like Rome. If I was going to be stuck in 1 city for 20 hours of side mission game I'd rather have just gone back to Venice and done it all there.

Will try the MP in a few weeks. Kind of burnt out on ACB after all the sidequests.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Ok, what's the counter to Charge? Just got rocked in Manhunt and I'm annoyed.

While I know knives can slow them, It's kinda hard when you have 8 of the same people around you and all the other person has to do is press a button.

Maybe silence?

MjFrancis

Bebpo said:
Finished up all the SP sidestuff outside the flags (not bothering for the last few) and arena (how do you beat the first guy in 10 seconds?)
I beat the first guy quickly, I just wailed on him with punches and it took exactly ten seconds. This works with second tier as well since you have two fighters and twenty seconds to take them out. On tier three, they add three fighters and only give you 25 seconds, so I got stuck there. I can't figure out any competent melee tactics outside of punching the guy in the face, and that takes too long. :lol

So, does anyone have any tips for completing the fight arenas and winning the highest bet at the last fight? That ten point The Gloves Come Off achievement will annoy the hell out of me otherwise.

bubnbob

Banned
For the arena, you have to keep mashing punch and kick back and forth. After like a few hits, Ezio will snap their neck or insta-kill.

For the later ones, start off with throwing sand, then snap a couple necks. Continue as before. It might take a few times, such as when that last guy starts dancing backwards (why?), but it is doable.

For the achievement, you have to bet max on the final wave. The rest can be regular bet.

glaurung

MjFrancis said:
I beat the first guy quickly, I just wailed on him with punches and it took exactly ten seconds. This works with second tier as well since you have two fighters and twenty seconds to take them out. On tier three, they add three fighters and only give you 25 seconds, so I got stuck there. I can't figure out any competent melee tactics outside of punching the guy in the face, and that takes too long. :lol

So, does anyone have any tips for completing the fight arenas and winning the highest bet at the last fight? That ten point The Gloves Come Off achievement will annoy the hell out of me otherwise.
It's a bit down to luck.

But I managed to get it done and get the trophy. When the clock starts, charge towards the guys, lead by a punch, then kick, then mash punches until the canned takedown happens. When it is done, immediately throw up blocks, then repeat five times. It also helps if you switch targets a bit mid-fight - you lose time, but you disrupt their pattern.

Not too hard overall I should say.
I mean, I managed to do it on the third or fourth attempt.

Other than a achievment, do you get anything else for doing the arena fights? I dont think im going to bother with them to be honest if not.

MjFrancis

You get money, I suppose.

Thanks for the input fellas. Next time I'm in the arena, I'll throw sand in their stupid little faces and alternatively punch and kick my way to victory.

jmoe316

MjFrancis said:

I was able to do all 5 challenges within the time limit simply by punching. If I remember correctly from ACII, it's a timing thing when you are fighting. If you press the attack button again as soon as you hit the person, you will continue going in a kind of combo streak. That's the thought process I used throughout and it worked. In the later challenges when they start dodging attacks, I had enough time to grab them and then start smacking them.

Hope that helps.

Ledsen

I got the Arena achiement and I don't even know how you throw sand :lol I just mashed as hard as I can, switching targets when they started going backwards and hoping for the instakill.

bigcappy

Neo Member
MjFrancis said:

I beat the 5 guys on my fourth or fifth try by always leading with kicks as the first blow on any guy. Once they are worn down a bit, the kick followed by a punch seems to lead to the quick kill. At least in my experience...

MjFrancis

This portion may have been difficult because I never fought barehanded in the rest of the game. I usually just stick people with my hidden blade. Actually, since six of my recruits are full-fledged assassins, I just let them clean house most of the time. It's a win button for most battles. "Trouble ahead? No matter, just click the left button and everything will be alright."

It's almost godlike, just walking through the city whistling, watching every Borgia guard in my path fall prey to a host of ephemeral ninjas.

1stStrike

Banned
I decided I needed to practice my hand to hand combat, so I just went fists and started beating the shit out of everyone in the city at one point. There was like 15 unconscious civilians around me and 9 knocked out guards at one point :lol

ultron87

If you haven't been using your fists at all that means you haven't experienced the joys of the kills with disarmed weapons. A disarmed spear has the best animations of any of the weapons.

rataven said:
I finally finished this quest last night. Both shrunken heads are found in treasure chests. One in the lair at the Palazzo Laterano and the other out in the country, I think in the Antico district. Buy a treasure map of that district to help locate it, though it might be a Noble chest, so you'll have to have renovated most of the art merchant shops for it to be available for purchase.

I ended up with quite a few Indian diamonds, which I found from looting Borgia couriers and the bandits who randomly attack Ezio around the city. I think there are a few in treasure chests too.

Much appreciated.
As for the final shop quest, it was simply the only way I knew how to get rid of the horrible looking Romulus outfit. Selecting Ezio's assassin outfit had no effect whatsoever at the Tailor shop. After finally clearing this last night I'm glad Ezio no longer looks like Kraven the hunter.

ultron87

There's an "Unequip" button by the special outfits that you have to hit to turn them off.

Yeah, that armor is pretty ugly. The Amazon bonus armor is great though.

ultron87 said:
There's an "Unequip" button by the special outfits that you have to hit to turn them off.

There was an Amazon exclusive armour? How many bloody exclusive bonuses did this game have? :lol Theres pretty much no way anyone has everything unless they spent $$$ and got the Codex edition from Amazon.

Did anyone get the Codex edition by the way? Whats on the extra dvd? How is the actual Codex? I assume its got the same text in it as we saw in AC2? If not any new interesting tidbits?

rataven

ultron87 said:

Love the Amazon armor. Would have made a better reward for completing the lairs if it wasn't just a skin.

Only weird thing about it though is that you have this smooth, strong metal armor and slick black and red robes.....with boring brown boots. It's like they forgot about them.

Maaseru

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
the story missions are absolutely horrible. no way am i going to bother with the next asscreed unless it is alot less restrictive.

one little fuck up resulting in a long ass reload is super annoying.

Well I'm betting your only this mad because you wanted 100% sync in the mission, which is a new really unimportant feature. It happens to me too I an to do things right and fck up and have to go through that long ass reload, but that just my choice. All the mission seem to have close enough or good checkpoints for when you screw up or die.

Maaseru said:
Well I'm betting your only this mad because you wanted 100% sync in the mission, which is a new really unimportant feature. It happens to me too I an to do things right and fck up and have to go through that long ass reload, but that just my choice. All the mission seem to have close enough or good checkpoints for when you screw up or die.

You need to be able to select to restart from a checkpoint during a replay, sucks getting near the end and failing 100% condition so you have to restart the entire mission again.

Maaseru

Banned
DualShadow said:
You need to be able to select to restart from a checkpoint during a replay, sucks getting near the end and failing 100% condition so you have to restart the entire mission again.
Yeah this is completely true. I thought the same thing a couple of times, which is a bummer. Then I thought this was an extra feature, not really important it just really made the game more fun, or at times a bit tedious.
They could fix this maybe in an update or in 3, but it really isn't a big deal, at least it shouldn't be.

You could always let yourself die or do some other thing so that you die and can go back to the checkpoint, but for the 100% sync it still doesn't work it counts as failed still.

DualShadow said:
I do agree with this. It's infuriating.

I got 100% synch on Ac2 - except for the collectables I found the whole thing fun. Brotherhood is just PACKED with too much junk to make going for 100% fun. For example the shop quests are absolutely the worst things ive ever seen - if they turn that into a main feature in a future AC game like they sort of hinted at with that questionaire I will be gobsmacked.

A lot of the mission targets actually seem a little ridiculous/ a little too long or just not fun at all. A lot of them I pretty much 99% completed anyway and so im happy to say ive had the experiance of the gameplay, I just failed on the last guard or something so missed out on getting credit.

I really hope they trim down the fat with the next AC game - dont get me wrong I love the fact we have the choice - but I would much rather they focused on the fun stuff.

1stStrike

Banned
xKilltheMx said:
My god finding a room online is STILL hell on this game. jesus.

I haven't logged in in like 2 days. Still love the MP, but I'm not hardcore about it.

I just started my new job today, and it was great, but most of it was redundant stuff I already know so I'm totally sleepy now from being bored most of the day... not the best condition for MP :p

Top Bottom