• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

This game is really fun, but the waiting for a match times are unacceptable. As I type this, I have been waiting for literally 10 minutes to find a match.

Seda

I just started playing this game, and I sold off some of the loot i was gathering before I realized that sometimes loot is needed for "shop quests". Please don't tell me there's a limited supply of certain loot (treasures) and I've screwed up completing some of the quests.

Well, on the journey to level 50, I've pulled a complete 180 on this game. I really used to love the hell out of it. But I've come to realize something...

The multiplayer is unacceptable filth.

The targeting system is nothing short of shit. Whoever designed, executed and QAed it should be embarrassed. Centering the reticule over your target and hitting the trigger is just as likely to lock onto a civy 10 feet away. Targeting somebody in a group is borderline impossible even with PERFECT input by the player.

Abilities are completely inconsistent. For example, I've poisoned and been poisoned from 5 feet away in some games, and in other games I've been within arm's reach and told I'm not close enough.

Spawning across the map from your target and 30 yards away from the guy hunting you is fucking ridiculous.

The matchmaking times are a joke.

In a player match with 7 friends, this game is a blast. Under any other circumstances, its simply a debacle.

Ranger X

Seda said:
I just started playing this game, and I sold off some of the loot i was gathering before I realized that sometimes loot is needed for "shop quests". Please don't tell me there's a limited supply of certain loot (treasures) and I've screwed up completing some of the quests.

I don't think there is unique loot you need at the store. But there are some really freaking hard loot to get though, like the Aconite from Borgia Courriers. If you sold one of those, start crying now.

Sai

Ranger X said:
I don't think there is unique loot you need at the store.
Shrunken Heads. There are only two of them in the game, and you need 'em both for the last weapon shop quest.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Thagomizer said:
This game is really fun, but the waiting for a match times are unacceptable. As I type this, I have been waiting for literally 10 minutes to find a match.
More than 10 minutes, even...

If you don't get a match in a couple of minutes, back out and try again. That's what I do and I eventually find one that comes up quickly enough.

:lol

I just spawned into a game of Wanted and spawned RIGHT BESIDE my target. Easiest 900 points I'll ever get.

Later on the match, I jumped of a roof in pursuit of my target, and midway through the jump I warped back onto the rooftop and got stabbed by my pursuer. :|

Pennybags

I just joined a manhunt game with my friend in mid-session, "attacking" team.

Our team was composed of smugglers, but I was Engineer the entire game! :lol

What the fuck.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
The Antitype said:
Well, on the journey to level 50, I've pulled a complete 180 on this game.

The targeting system is nothing short of shit. Whoever designed, executed and QAed it should be embarrassed. Centering the reticule over your target and hitting the trigger is just as likely to lock onto a civy 10 feet away. Targeting somebody in a group is borderline impossible even with PERFECT input by the player.

Abilities are completely inconsistent. For example, I've poisoned and been poisoned from 5 feet away in some games, and in other games I've been within arm's reach and told I'm not close enough.

Spawning across the map from your target and 30 yards away from the guy hunting you is fucking ridiculous.

In a player match with 7 friends, this game is a blast. Under any other circumstances, its simply a debacle.

I don't think you should say multiplayer is complete filth, maybe that it's a good concept that can use refining in its first iteration?

TTG

Seda said:

Shop quests, actually forget that, the whole item system is just another thing they threw in there as a way to make the game more "dense". You may notice a lot of these concepts in the game. They're incredibly simple and not well thought out. I didn't sell anything and by the end game I've unlocked 2 items from shop quests. You can always buy all the treasure maps(what else are you gonna do with the money?) and just go crawling through the city, but again, there's no point.

There's no point to the economy in general. They got a pass in AC2. It was new and who doesn't love to upgrade their hideout in a videogame? Forget the hamster wheel that is renovating Rome and getting profit, is there a tangible difference to the weapons you carry? Only in the different animations they have. Counter followed by the one hit kill streak, that's the game. The armor you can buy? Romulus stuff makes it irrelevant, but beyond that... there's health potions all over. Who cares how many little squares you have at any one time when you have an unlimited supply on tap?

The completionist side of you will want to fill all this stuff out, but honestly, Borgia flags are more interesting to me. They actually require a little platforming to get to some of them. They also entice you to explore just about the only interesting feature of Rome, the ruins that have some harder traversal built in.

K2Valor said:
I don't think you should say multiplayer is complete filth, maybe that it's a good concept that can use refining in its first iteration?

Ok, fine. I'll be more specific.

I ADORE the concept for the game.

The design and execution is absolute trash. Multiplayer games depend on consistency. I need to know that certain actions, under certain conditions, will result in the same result.

Nothing is the case in AC:B. The distance where a stun or a kill can be executed is never consistent. Smoke bombs sometimes work within a second of getting kills, sometimes they don. Poison sometimes works from 5 feet away, sometimes it does work when I'm literally RUBBING AGAINST THE TARGET.

Oh, and my favorite is when the game can't manage to sync up it's glorious little kill animations. From being warped from mid-air back to the roof I jumped off of, to being frozen in place, unable to move for a full 2 seconds before a guy jumps on top of me from off screen, the mechanics in this game are simply broken and bad.

If this game wasn't built on such a good idea, and wasn't attached to such a damn good single-player franchise, then nobody would even pretend to put up with this shit.

deadnoob

Just finished the main story today. I'm fairly comfortable in saying that AC is some of the most satisfying gameplay and story I've ever encountered. I love this series :D

iNvid02

The Antitype said:
Ok, fine. I'll be more specific.

I ADORE the concept for the game.

The design and execution is absolute trash. Multiplayer games depend on consistency. I need to know that certain actions, under certain conditions, will result in the same result.

Nothing is the case in AC:B. The distance where a stun or a kill can be executed is never consistent. Smoke bombs sometimes work within a second of getting kills, sometimes they don. Poison sometimes works from 5 feet away, sometimes it does work when I'm literally RUBBING AGAINST THE TARGET.

Oh, and my favorite is when the game can't manage to sync up it's glorious little kill animations. From being warped from mid-air back to the roof I jumped off of, to being frozen in place, unable to move for a full 2 seconds before a guy jumps on top of me from off screen, the mechanics in this game are simply broken and bad.

If this game wasn't built on such a good idea, and wasn't attached to such a damn good single-player franchise, then nobody would even pretend to put up with this shit.

this game depends more on connection and fast twicthy reflexes than fps games like cod, lag will make this game annoying while a steady connection in a good game will make it fun

Whatever. I have an epic connection that handles every other game without issue.

So whether it's the net coders or the primary designers that are incompetent, the end result is a poor piece of software (the multiplayer).

It is trash.

I am so SICK of dropping a smoke bomb, having two hunters coughing in front of me, and being unable to stun either of them because the damn B icon refuses to appear.

It is amateur hour bullshit.

I tried the multiplayer and had no clue what was going on. Are there a bunch of people out to kill me or is there only one person hunting me down? Is it also possible to defend yourself if you're caught?

explodet

Gotta love multiplayer.
This is a screenshot of my friend's stats page. Check out his Best Session Score.

bro_wtf_score.jpg

I'll let you guys try and figure out how he got that.

Can someone tell me if I'm playing the game wrong or doing something wrong because it's starting to get irritating. I'm like 2 or 3 hours in (
just went through Romulus's cave?
) and every time I start running around in the city, I piss off the guards somehow and all of a sudden the game turns into a big ol' GTA styled, 5-star, clusterfuck. I'm trying to like this game, the atmosphere of Rome is amazing and really sucks you in, but my dislike for stealth-y and open-world games keeps creeping up because of this.

iNvid02

riceandbeans said:
Can someone tell me if I'm playing the game wrong or doing something wrong because it's starting to get irritating. I'm like 2 or 3 hours in (
just went through Romulus's cave?
) and every time I start running around in the city, I piss off the guards somehow and all of a sudden the game turns into a big ol' GTA styled, 5-star, clusterfuck. I'm trying to like this game, the atmosphere of Rome is amazing and really sucks you in, but my dislike for stealth-y and open-world games keeps creeping up because of this.

Notoriety_icon_ac2.jpg

this symbol (a little bit different in acb) shows your notoriety. above is all clear, so you can run round and no one will notice you (unless you attack someone etc). When that meter starts filling up with a red outline your getting more notorious.
Halfway and guards will come over to you when they see suspecting something, full red and you'll be chased down when they see you. To lower your notoriety take down wanted posters, kill witnesses, dye your outfit or bribe people

Razor210

Am I the only one who accidentally initiates a chase with my target because some idiot initiates a chase with me as their target?

Yay for giving someone a free 100 points because people love 100 point kills

Also, the game should rotate who gets more than 1 pursuer. Having two pursuers because I'm in 1st is bs, cause it makes it harder to get good kills easier. I spend my time pretty much defensively

iNvid02

Razor210 said:
Am I the only one who accidentally initiates a chase with my target because some idiot initiates a chase with me as their target?

Yay for giving someone a free 100 points because people love 100 point kills

Also, the game should rotate who gets more than 1 pursuer. Having two pursuers because I'm in 1st is bs, cause it makes it harder to get good kills easier. I spend my time pretty much defensively

you wont like when your level 50 then, 2 pursuers almost all the time and sometimes 3 or 4 :lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
iNvidious01 said:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091222203825/assassinscreed/images/a/a9/Notoriety_icon_ac2.jpg[/MG]

this symbol (a little bit different in acb) shows your notoriety. above is all clear, so you can run round and no one will notice you (unless you attack someone etc). When that meter starts filling up with a red outline your getting more notorious.
Halfway and guards will come over to you when they see suspecting something, full red and you'll be chased down when they see you. To lower your notoriety take down wanted posters, kill witnesses, dye your outfit or bribe people[/QUOTE]
I think Notoriety is introduced a little bit further in the game. He's probably just running into high alert zones/Borgia controlled towers.

Razor210

iNvidious01 said:
you wont like when your level 50 then, 2 pursuers almost all the time and sometimes 3 or 4 :lol
Is there a barebones mode or something?

Not looking forward to people using hax abilities at upper levels. The game plays a lot better when its based more on player ability, not "oh cool I can see who you are cause this perk says so"

Game is fun when people actually try to get good kills though

Pancho

Qurupancho
Just a quick multiplayer question

If you alter your persona's gear and/or color does the copies that spawn on the map would look exactly like yo? Or will they spawn with the default skin?

Hyunkel6

After 2-3 hours of the MP, I finally dove into the story. The game is packed with content. From renovating Rome to managing the guild and doing the faction missions, I played for 3 hours straight without even realizing it. Some questions:

- What are the paintings for? Do they increase income?

- What's the best way to kill the guards on horseback? the hidden gun?

-Is there some kind of awesome reward for opening the chests scattered across Rome? I remember being very disappointed that I got nothing in AC2.

Killthee said:
I think Notoriety is introduced a little bit further in the game. He's probably just running into high alert zones/Borgia controlled towers.

Figured it out mostly. It was that and try not to knock the guards around too much on the horse. Can't believe I didn't recognize the Borgia tower redzones.

Hyunkel6 said:
After 2-3 hours of the MP, I finally dove into the story. The game is packed with content. From renovating Rome to managing the guild and doing the faction missions, I played for 3 hours straight without even realizing it. Some questions:

- What are the paintings for? Do they increase income?

- What's the best way to kill the guards on horseback? the hidden gun?

-Is there some kind of awesome reward for opening the chests scattered across Rome? I remember being very disappointed that I got nothing in AC2.

Paintings end up in your headquarters. They may add to income but after a few hours it won't matter (you make plenty of money). All the content seems cool until you realize it all filters into basically nothing. You get more gold and places to buy things but money is never an issue. With 1 hit execution chaining, better weapons don't matter much either. I didn't finish renovating the last couple of buildings after finishing the aqueducts and
zero happening
. It's fun for a while but I wouldn't spend too much time rebuilding unless you're dying for the BIG REWARD of a
cape
. I also wouldn't worry too much about going for 100% syncs unless you love it that much or want the end prize of
cheats
. Once I found out that was the end-game for those systems I felt like I wasted a huge amount of time with them. Padding out the game is fine but it's disappointing they couldn't even be bother to tie it together. Just throw an achievement at me or something at least.

(note: spoilers aren't really spoilers, unless you're crazy)

Hyunkel6

cr_blah_blah said:
Paintings end up in your headquarters. They may add to income but after a few hours it won't matter (you make plenty of money). All the content seems cool until you realize it all filters into basically nothing. You get more gold and places to buy things but money is never an issue. With 1 hit execution chaining, better weapons don't matter much either. I didn't finish renovating the last couple of buildings after finishing the aqueducts and
zero happening
. It's fun for a while but I wouldn't spend too much time rebuilding unless you're dying for the BIG REWARD of a
cape
. I also wouldn't worry too much about going for 100% syncs unless you love it that much or want the end prize of
cheats
. Once I found out that was the end-game for those systems I felt like I wasted a huge amount of time with them. Padding out the game is fine but it's disappointing they couldn't even be bother to tie it together. Just throw an achievement at me or something at least.

(note: spoilers aren't really spoilers, unless you're crazy)
Damn. Those rewards suck. Renovating doesn't bother me, but I expected an awesome reward or maybe a secret ending for 100% sync.

Hey, quick I question. Can you lose recruit attempts? I dicked around for like the the first four missions doing everything. When I finally unlocked the recruits stuff there were like 30 icons. I recruited about six or seven then went on with the game. Now all the icons are gone other than those. What gives?

GillianSeed79 said:
Hey, quick I question. Can you lose recruit attempts? I dicked around for like the the first four missions doing everything. When I finally unlocked the recruits stuff there were like 30 icons. I recruited about six or seven then went on with the game. Now all the icons are gone other than those. What gives?

You won't lose them. They do move around if you don't get to one quickly but that's all. Even if you go to help them and they die it doesn't have any negative impact. You have to take out Borgia towers to unlock the rest of the recruit slots (so recruit attempts show back up).

GillianSeed79 said:

Yeah the icons have disappeared because you don't have any free slots for more recruits, if for example one of your recruits died then all the icons would appear again.

The Antitype said:
Well, on the journey to level 50, I've pulled a complete 180 on this game. I really used to love the hell out of it. But I've come to realize something...

I don't know about you, but I've never had any problems with stunning people or poisoning. Are you on 360? I'm on PS3.

Targeting and matchmaking are utter shit though, you got that right :lol

Pancho

Qurupancho
Pancho said:
Just a quick multiplayer question

If you alter your persona's gear and/or color does the copies that spawn on the map would look exactly like you? Or will they spawn with the default skin?

Anyone? :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
My girlfriend starting playing this on the PS3 tonight, and we have a few questions: why isn't voice chat disabled when we turn it off in sound options, and why are guns so lame? :lol

Lyphen said:
My girlfriend starting playing this on the PS3 tonight, and we have a few questions: why isn't voice chat disabled when we turn it off in sound options, and why are guns so lame? :lol

Well on the guns question im hoping you weren't expecting to have an uzi or anything! :D

The pistol is pretty pointless now the superior crossbow has been added, even the poison darts are better as they don't alert anyone.

I'm not very far into the story missions, I only just got the last of the three guilds on board so I think I'm still very early in, but I've already got 8 of 10 Truth puzzles completed, every available store bought, damn near every landmark bought, and almost every non-story mission completed, and pretty far into the MGSPW Assassin missions. I don't have those few segments of the map past the aqueduct unlocked yet, but the 3/4 of the map I do have I've been freaking tearing through.

I wasn't planning on it but at this rate I may as well go for that platinum :lol

Dibbz

Just finished it, took me about 23 hours which is a long time I guess but I was taking my time like crazy.

Anyways I'm going through all the unfinished side quest stuff now but my PS3 box says there is an exclusive mission "Copernicus Conspiracy". There is no code in the box though. Is it on the disc? How do I access it?

dralla

started this yesterday. im not that far, about 4 hours, should I bother doing the sidequests at this point? or wait till I'm better equipped. I still have just the basic stuff, no assassin recruiting or anything

Pennybags

kyo_daikun said:
Well on the guns question im hoping you weren't expecting to have an uzi or anything! :D

The pistol is pretty pointless now the superior crossbow has been added, even the poison darts are better as they don't alert anyone.

Pistol isn't pointless, as you can use it pretty easily in combat now. Crossbow basically takes the place of ACII's pistol.

Dragnet

Dibbz said:
Anyways I'm going through all the unfinished side quest stuff now but my PS3 box says there is an exclusive mission "Copernicus Conspiracy". There is no code in the box though. Is it on the disc? How do I access it?

It's a free downloadable on the store.

rataven

Dibbz said:
Just finished it, took me about 23 hours which is a long time I guess but I was taking my time like crazy.

You need to download it from PSN. After you install it you can find Copernicus chilling in the square at the Palazzo Senatorio. He'll be shouting; you can't miss him.

Dibbz

Thanks guys just downloaded it, will check it out soon.

Also whats the best way to deal with pursuers online? I try and spend most of the time blended with groups but I still show up on the compass right? How does the stun work, does the red mark have to be above their head?

Dragnet

Dibbz said:
Thanks guys just downloaded it, will check it out soon.

Also whats the best way to deal with pursuers online? I try and spend most of the time blended with groups but I still show up on the compass right? How does the stun work, does the red mark have to be above their head?

The aim is to break the line of sight. If you do that, the status of the chase changes and the meter on the left will I think turn from red to blue. Stay hidden until the blue bar empties and the chase will end.

It's all about creating distance between you and him. Smoke bombs are effective if your pursuer is close behind you, it'll make them stop and cough in it, so use that if you can. The lifts are also very quick and create distance between you and your pursuer quickly. You can use chase gates too, the glimmering doors and gates you see dotted around. If you move through those at any pace faster then walking then they will instantly lock shut behind you. If you see a thick crowd try and weave or barge your way through, most chasers will be too focused on you to also press O (or B?) to drop their shoulder and barge through the crowd.

When it comes to staying hidden, hay bales and bushes are obviously great, and if you enemy hasn't got you locked on (not sure if/how you can tell) then hiding in a group can also work. Or, the easiest thing is to just keep running once you know your pursuer has been slowed by something, once distance is created between you it's hard for the pursuer to claw back.

Stuns work on proximity, you need to be within I'd say 2 metres, and you need to be quick on the button, especially if the enemy already knows you're there. And once you've stunned, leg it! It doesn't kill the enemy so if you stay close, they'll still know where you are.

Hope that helped! I'm no expert, level 17 at the moment, but I from what I've played it's sound advice.

On the subject of the platinum, I'm going for it too. Got all the SP trophies, just need the level 50, get all co-op bonuses in one game (god knows how I'll do that), get all bonuses once and take the lead 10 seconds before the end of the game, which annoyingly I have done but it didn't count or it was just outside the 10 seconds. I distinctly remember assassinating a dude then looking up at the clock and it said there were 9 seconds left as the voiceover woman said I'd gone first. But woe is me! :(

petethepanda said:
I'm not very far into the story missions, I only just got the last of the three guilds on board so I think I'm still very early in, but I've already got 8 of 10 Truth puzzles completed, every available store bought, damn near every landmark bought, and almost every non-story mission completed, and pretty far into the MGSPW Assassin missions. I don't have those few segments of the map past the aqueduct unlocked yet, but the 3/4 of the map I do have I've been freaking tearing through.

I wasn't planning on it but at this rate I may as well go for that platinum :lol

Actually, you're still missing a fair amount of everything--how many Borgia Towers have you taken out? That affects the stores you can buy. It sounds like you're on Ch 5 or thereabouts.

Anyone else feel like the Towers were embarrassingly easy? My two personal favorites included a "Join me in the river" pull down, and a "how does this bullet taste" snipe from the ground.

Top Bottom