• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The Antitype said:
Don't even get me started on what is easily the worst lock-on system in the history of videogames. :lol
It works great in mp. Just hold L1 until you pick your target then let go.

TTG

Got through a lot of the game over the past 2 days, finally at the Vatican now(why couldn't all of Rome be like this? It's such a flat and boring place. Vatican reminds me a little of how great the environments used to be. Tall buildings, intricate design, beautiful colors)

Only having a year to put this together really hurt them. Lacking any kind of innovation or refinement, it's as safe as I've seen a sequel(not really a sequel, I know... but it's not exactly an expansion pack is it?) play. This makes Halo Reach a damn trailblazer. It's not only the gameplay, there aren't even any new characters here. The bigger picture is completely mute at this point, It's Ezio vs Borgia. Why leave the animus, to check some emails? What about the bigger Assassin vs Templar stuff, at this point I don't even remember how the Borgia family is connected to the Templars or Obstergo or how any of it matters. Somewhere out there is the apple and you gotta kick some Borgia ass... nothing else to see here. Christina is the only thread keeping anything interesting at this point. The shotgun blasts that are the side missions are really diluted. AC2's assassination missions were excellent and the other side missions were generally good. This is just a sea of tedious work.

The intent behind Brotherhood seems very obvious. We're gonna release a new game the next year and we're gonna put together multiplayer. Everything else was put into neutral and now the whole car is rolling back down hill. I'm probably complaining a little too much because long play sessions always turn frustrating with this game. The combat system and the pointless side missions start to wear on you eventually. Leonardo missions and Romulus stuff provide a good distraction, main story missions are interesting. I'll probably finish this before sending it back just because I like the series as a whole so much. But, if you only have a passing interest in AC, there is absolutely nothing wrong with skipping Brotherhood altogether. Wait for the real next game in the series.

iNvid02

TTG said:
Got through a lot of the game over the past 2 days, finally at the Vatican now(why couldn't all of Rome be like this? It's such a flat and boring place. Vatican reminds me a little of how great the environments used to be. Tall buildings, intricate design, beautiful colors)

Only having a year to put this together really hurt them. Lacking any kind of innovation or refinement, it's as safe as I've seen a sequel(not really a sequel, I know... but it's not exactly an expansion pack is it?) play. This makes Halo Reach a damn trailblazer. It's not only the gameplay, there aren't even any new characters here. The bigger picture is completely mute at this point, It's Ezio vs Borgia. Why leave the animus, to check some emails? What about the bigger Assassin vs Templar stuff, at this point I don't even remember how the Borgia family is connected to the Templars or Obstergo or how any of it matters. Somewhere out there is the apple and you gotta kick some Borgia ass... nothing else to see here. Christina is the only thread keeping anything interesting at this point. The shotgun blasts that are the side missions are really diluted. AC2's assassination missions were excellent and the other side missions were generally good. This is just a sea of tedious work.

The intent behind Brotherhood seems very obvious. We're gonna release a new game the next year and we're gonna put together multiplayer. Everything else was put into neutral and now the whole car is rolling back down hill. I'm probably complaining a little too much because long play sessions always turn frustrating with this game. The combat system and the pointless side missions start to wear on you eventually. Leonardo missions and Romulus stuff provide a good distraction, main story missions are interesting. I'll probably finish this before sending it back just because I like the series as a whole so much. But, if you only have a passing interest in AC, there is absolutely nothing wrong with skipping Brotherhood altogether. Wait for the real next game in the series.

:lol

there is that small issue of the story, specifically not knowing how ezios story ends (and most likely how ac3 will start). if you skip this it will be one big WTF moment in AC3. Even that mini intro video summary wont save you.

i think they did ok with brotherhood, but AC3 should be that same AC1-AC2 leap (o faith)

big_z

creid said:
I ran into a bug in one game where I couldn't kill, stun, or be killed. Each move would be dodged. Did it happen with everyone in the match, or just one guy?

just one guy. at one point there was no chase in between attacks i just stood next to him attacking over and over. he would dodge my attacks even though he was stunned with smoke. through out the match he dodged every attack even if multiple people were attacking him.

i can rarely if ever dodge an attack without a smoke bomb or other perk. i highly doubt this guy can go on dodging all attacks for a match unless there's some sort of crazy perk combo that gives you basically a god mode.

New map called Rome By Night

Its a community unlock event - we need 25 million kills in multiplayer. Dunno if this is new or old but i checked my stats and i only have 922 kills.

the new map they added sucks, more so at night. i dont think the rome map at night will be much fun either.

btw what is everyones best method for getting massive point kills in multi? i average 400-600 without a perk, but i've seen people killing in the 800's all the time.
highest i've ended a round is about 5700 points. feels like the game spawns you directly infront of your enemy when you have 3-4 people hunting you.

creid

big_z said:
just one guy. at one point there was no chase in between attacks i just stood next to him attacking over and over. he would dodge my attacks even though he was stunned with smoke. through out the match he dodged every attack even if multiple people were attacking him.

i can rarely if ever dodge an attack without a smoke bomb or other perk. i highly doubt this guy can go on dodging all attacks for a match unless there's some sort of crazy perk combo that gives you basically a god mode.
Sounds like the glitch that was happening to me happened to him.

Im not sure what rate that bar is getting filled up at, but so far we are on about 15 million kills out of 25 million. The game has been out for a few months and to be fair I think the longer the game is out the slower the rate that bar will fill.

Christmas will help, but it will probably still be a few months before we get that map :(

The multiplayer for this game is great, but Ubisoft might be making a mistake putting so many resources into it, I love it - but its clear that most people are going to stick to CoD and Halo.

crispyben

Regarding MP trophies, besides the obvious Role Model, Download Complete and Abstergo Employee of the Month, I'm also missing Strong Closer and Ahead of the Curve. Any tips on that last one (escape a double/triple chase)? I've watched YT videos, tried to get an opportunity in all game modes, but I just can't get two people to chase me, let alone three...

creid

crispyben said:
Regarding MP trophies, besides the obvious Role Model, Download Complete and Abstergo Employee of the Month, I'm also missing Strong Closer and Ahead of the Curve. Any tips on that last one (escape a double/triple chase)? I've watched YT videos, tried to get an opportunity in all game modes, but I just can't get two people to chase me, let alone three...
I've played for 20 hours or so, spent a lot of time in the top 3, and I've only ever been in 2 or 3 double chases. Probably all luck.

crispyben

creid said:
I've played for 20 hours or so, spent a lot of time in the top 3, and I've only ever been in 2 or 3 double chases. Probably all luck.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't want to boost these trophies, I guess I'll just have to see if I get it naturally by playing...

crispyben said:

I get quite a few double escaped in Manhunt. A tactic to try might be morphing a group, letting them get close and then use Decoy, as they run after the decoy you will get a easy double escape. Its actually how I got my triple escape.

Ive been in about 2 other chases where 3 guys where after me and got killed in them, so I guess the decoy thing is the easiest way if your lucky and have enough of them around and fall for it.

iNvid02

crispyben said:

go into manhunt and you'll have 3-4 pursuers on you constantly, its as simple as run away and become a tricky bastard to get the multi-escape stuff.

bumpkin

I've managed to get all the SP achievements and am working on getting 100% synch... Soon I may dive into MP. From all the chatter I've seen in this thread, it sounds pretty solid. Are there any things I should watch out for (i.e. how Gears of War 2's MP is basically a-holes shotgun dancing)?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I'm about to finish this game, I just wanted to say I love this game and AC2 and Ezio has to be one of my fave characters of all time. The setting is just so great and I love exploring.

It feels awesome to link lots of free running together once you figure out the 'language' of the rooftops, and when you kill about 10 guys in a row. This has got to be one of the most well designed, thought out and put together games ever made.

I'm totally gonna savour this final segment cos I know its gonna set me up good and proper for the sequel. Slightly worried its gonna make me say goodbye to Ezio though!

crispyben

iNvidious01 said:
go into manhunt and you'll have 3-4 pursuers on you constantly, its as simple as run away and become a tricky bastard to get the multi-escape stuff.
Thanks. As usual, I got a double and a triple escape in the next two games :lol Now for "Strong Closer" (last 10 seconds win), that's going to take luck... since I don't have that talent!

kaizoku

bumpkin said:
I've managed to get all the SP achievements and am working on getting 100% synch... Soon I may dive into MP. From all the chatter I've seen in this thread, it sounds pretty solid. Are there any things I should watch out for (i.e. how Gears of War 2's MP is basically a-holes shotgun dancing)?

All flags!? Wow nice job. 100% sync is beyond me, some of them are crazy, I was about to say perhaps the only area I feel lets the game down design-wise are a few of the 100% sync requirements, but they don't really earn you anything so I don't feel like I'm missing out too much.

When the wolf guys ambush you and you're supposed to take no damage? Impossible!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
kaizoku said:
When the wolf guys ambush you and you're supposed to take no damage? Impossible!
I did that on my first try (and got Serial Killer achieverment). :p

The only one I had trouble with so far was completing the first tomb within eight minutes, currently at the start of Sequence 5.

bumpkin

kaizoku said:
All flags!? Wow nice job. 100% sync is beyond me, some of them are crazy, I was about to say perhaps the only area I feel lets the game down design-wise are a few of the 100% sync requirements, but they don't really earn you anything so I don't feel like I'm missing out too much.

Thanks! :D It's tough to feel like it's any sort of feat though; the flag maps from the shops helped immensely (once you find 25 on your own, the maps become available in art shops). There were only a few flags in the Romulus Lairs that were a pain in the ass to track down and aren't revealed by the maps. Some of the other requirements do feel "grindy", the guild challenges and the assassination contracts being the two worst offenders.

As for the wolf guys and the 100% synch requirement, are you talking about memory 2, sequence 6? I used my dagger and basically just chain-killed 'em all (counter-kill one, then hold the left stick towards your next victim(s) and hit X/square over and over). The key is to keep an eye on the enemies who may be going in for an attack while you're mid-kill; have your finger ready to hold R/R1 and press X/square to counter-kill them. That fight is actually the best way to get the "Serial Killer" achivement. There's 13 in all, so if you chain kill them all, you'll kill two birds with one stone.

Princess Skittles said:
The only one I had trouble with so far was completing the first tomb within eight minutes, currently at the start of Sequence 5.
I can't even fathom how to finish it in under 8 minutes. I went through it nearly flawlessly, and I ran out of time partway through the room where you're ambushed as you make your way up the center pillar.

But yeah, I'm just worried that the MP will be littered with people leveraging exploits making the experience completely unenjoyable for a newbie.

crispyben

bumpkin said:
But yeah, I'm just worried that the MP will be littered with people leveraging exploits making the experience completely unenjoyable for a newbie.
I got into it yesterday, and haven't had that kind of problem, lots of newbies around actually, got a few nice kills too. Already level 12, unlocked a few interesting things, so don't be afraid.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
bumpkin said:
I can't even fathom how to finish it in under 8 minutes. I went through it nearly flawlessly, and I ran out of time partway through the room where you're ambushed as you make your way up the center pillar.
I did it on the third try.

The key thing to remember is hold RT+A almost the entire time (I let go of A on the pillar section since it allows you to jump off incorrectly so easily).

kaizoku

Princess Skittles said:
I did that on my first try (and got Serial Killer achieverment). :p

I tried this on my first play through so perhaps my skills were still rusty but my issue was the guys would surround me so I'd try to run away to get them all on one side but then they'd throw bloody knives at me!

I do have the serial killer achievement so thats not an issue for me, I think it was a combination of enemies with projectile weapons, being surrounded and sheer number of them coming at you at once.

The timed ones are also a pain in the ass.

There's a courtesan mission I can't be bothered with, Malpractice, get to a doctor, steal from him, and get back to the woman in 2 minutes 30 seconds! I find it impossible. I should probably youtube the best route.

Shop quests also difficult! I've only done one!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
kaizoku said:
I tried this on my first play through so perhaps my skills were still rusty but my issue was the guys would surround me so I'd try to run away to get them all on one side but then they'd throw bloody knives at me!
Safe way, all you need to do is hold down RT and hit X when someone attacks. Calm counters can destroy most group battles.

bumpkin

crispyben said:
I got into it yesterday, and haven't had that kind of problem, lots of newbies around actually, got a few nice kills too. Already level 12, unlocked a few interesting things, so don't be afraid.
How quickly do you gain levels, anyway? The achievement for reaching level 50 sounds crazy to me, especially with how long it took to reach 50 in games like Gears of War 2 or Transformers: WFC.

Sai

bumpkin said:
Ah, that's not the first one, but the Catacombs.

Watch out for the torches on the walls, turn to where they're lit(you can also use your Eagle Vision to reveal arrows along the paths, but I find following the torches much easier). Sprint your way on through, worry about the treasure chests when you replay the memory--it's cake.

Getting full synch on the Catacombs is easier than Nero's Palace, IMO.

crispyben

bumpkin said:
How quickly do you gain levels, anyway? The achievement for reaching level 50 sounds crazy to me, especially with how long it took to reach 50 in games like Gears of War 2 or Transformers: WFC.
Rather fast at first of course, but level 50 is 650,000 EXP, so it depends on your average score... I guess I'm looking at 200 to 300 games, which is maybe 50 hours :D YMMV, though.

How do you unlock shop quests? And should I bother renovating absolutely everything and taking out every Borgia tower before doing the next memory? I'm around the first Nero thing-a-ma-gig tomb and already have like 60 percent of the first district rebuilt.

Curufinwe

How difficult is it to get all the single player Trophies/Achievements in Brotherhood compared to getting them all in AC2?

It took me 33 hours to get them all in AC2, and getting all the feathers wasn't too bad after I got the guide as a Christmas present.

iNvid02

took me 18hrs of playtime to hit 50 i think, to make it faster play manhunt all the time (its easy to get good scores, i got 5-7k per game so about 100 games) and do those ability challenges for XP

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Curufinwe said:
How difficult is it to get all the single player Trophies/Achievements in Brotherhood compared to getting them all in AC2?

It took me 33 hours to get them all in AC2, and getting all the feathers wasn't too bad after I got the guide as a Christmas present.
I'd say easier if for anything that you can buy Feather and Flag maps. :3

Plus, I think the "meat" of the game is much shorter, though it looks like Brotherhood has a lot more "side" stuff, but not much of that is needed for achievements.

iNvidious01 said:
took me 18hrs of playtime to hit 50 i think, to make it faster play manhunt all the time (its easy to get good scores, i got 5-7k per game so about 100 games) and do those ability challenges for XP
Much more reasonable, I think.

kaizoku said:
holy shit I just finished it. Holy shit.
I should avoid this thread. D:

kaizoku

Princess Skittles said:
I'd say easier if for anything that you can buy Feather and Flag maps. :3

Plus, I think the "meat" of the game is much shorter, though it looks like Brotherhood has a lot more "side" stuff, but not much of that is needed for achievements.

Much more reasonable, I think.

I should avoid this thread. D:

don't worry, there's a specific Brotherhood spoiler thread I am now making my way through in a complete state of utter mindfucked-ness.

AC3 can't come soon enough.

Now I just need to collect about 30 flags and jump off the Castello Santangelo with a parachute for my final SP achievements!

and apparently there are some Cristina missions I haven't unlocked yet.

TTG said:
I kind of agree w/ peoples complaints about Rome and it's design. It looks great and is pretty awesome - but it feels like playing a Spiderman game not set in New York, feels limited...

Princess Skittles said:
50 hours? God, I hate multi-player achievements.

Its much closer to about 20 hours thank god, for some people a bit less I imagine. However the multiplayer achievments which require getting all the bonuses and getting all the co op bonuses in one game seem impossible. :(

Curufinwe said:
Parachute

Yeah, its what you earn for doing all the War missions, its so and so, I like using it to link my free running across buildings that are a bit far apart - so its worth trying.

Fuzzy

bobs99 ... said:
Its much closer to about 20 hours thank god, for some people a bit less I imagine. However the multiplayer achievments which require getting all the bonuses and getting all the co op bonuses in one game seem impossible. :(
You can get all the mp trophies in private matches except for the level 50 one.

Fuzzy said:
You can get all the mp trophies in private matches except for the level 50 one.

Sweet, whats the minimum amount of people you can do it with? I only have a couple of other friends who own the game, but I guess I would need at least 6 to start up a manhunt?

Fuzzy

bobs99 ... said:
Sweet, whats the minimum amount of people you can do it with? I only have a couple of other friends who own the game, but I guess I would need at least 6 to start up a manhunt?
Just looked it up and you can do 4 player manhunt. I also made a mistake in my previous post, all the bonuses can be done in private matches except for the end bonuses so you can do most of that trophy but not all of it.

Rikyfree

I love the Cristina missions. It makes you feel bad for both her and Ezio that if all that crap not happened to him, he could have had a great life with her.

PooBone

God I loved this game's single player. I rented it and tore through it. Story is great. This and Mass Effect are my two favorite franchises in the business right now. (we'll see what 343 does with Halo)

Only got to play the multiplayer a tad before I sent it back but I got my own copy for Christmas and I intend to jump back into it soon.

TTG

iNvidious01 said:
:lol

there is that small issue of the story, specifically not knowing how ezios story ends (and most likely how ac3 will start). if you skip this it will be one big WTF moment in AC3. Even that mini intro video summary wont save you.

i think they did ok with brotherhood, but AC3 should be that same AC1-AC2 leap (o faith)

I haven't finished it yet, but so far the story hasn't been very relevant to the overall series. Like I said, it's just Ezio vs Borgia with all the familiar characters making another appearance. I'm sure they'll throw in some stuff at the end to make it worthwhile, but I wouldn't actively buy and play through the whole thing just to see it... there are other ways of doing that. They could at least have had an ongoing battle, what is this shit with the senator, banker, lover, the french... why is this hogging up whole memory sequences? Meanwhile the pope barely says a word and the younger Borgia is just seen prancing around somewhere in the backround... and don't forget about Desmond! gotta check those emails of the weekly schedule.

I agree, they did ok. I sort of figured that was going to be the result going in, I guess my real gripe is with the decision to release another one a year later. They were going about it the right way. The first game sold a ton and they held off and worked for 2 years with a huge staff. It's something most developers would have taken 3 years to put together. And the second one sold just as well, why the change in strategy? Did they just embrace the COD release schedule late? :lol

Anyway, gonna try and finish it tonight depending on how long sequence 8 and 9 are. Gonna focus on the main story missions(which are well done) to get me feeling a little better about the whole thing.

iNvid02

TTG said:
I haven't finished it yet, but so far the story hasn't been very relevant to the overall series. Like I said, it's just Ezio vs Borgia with all the familiar characters making another appearance. I'm sure they'll throw in some stuff at the end to make it worthwhile, but I wouldn't actively buy and play through the whole thing just to see it... there are other ways of doing that. They could at least have had an ongoing battle, what is this shit with the senator, banker, lover, the french... why is this hogging up whole memory sequences? Meanwhile the pope barely says a word and the younger Borgia is just seen prancing around somewhere in the backround... and don't forget about Desmond! gotta check those emails of the weekly schedule.

I agree, they did ok. I sort of figured that was going to be the result going in, I guess my real gripe is with the decision to release another one a year later. They were going about it the right way. The first game sold a ton and they held off and worked for 2 years with a huge staff. It's something most developers would have taken 3 years to put together. And the second one sold just as well, why the change in strategy? Did they just embrace the COD release schedule late? :lol

Anyway, gonna try and finish it tonight depending on how long sequence 8 and 9 are. Gonna focus on the main story missions(which are well done) to get me feeling a little better about the whole thing.

simple as $$$, AC is a cash cow now, big franchise and it'll most likely have a yearly release (whether its spin off side stories or proper games). new game for 2011 too

TTG

Ok, all finished. It sure wrapped things up quickly. I was expecting something a bit more grand and climactic, but this fits with the game's "let's not fuck this up and make some money!" mold.

simple as $$$, AC is a cash cow now, big franchise and it'll most likely have a yearly release (whether its spin off side stories or proper games). new game for 2011 too

AC was a cash cow as soon as the first one came out, something changed for them to cash in now. Anyway, hopefully the third game will be a full fledged follow up.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just started the single player last night.

Incredibly satisfying first couple of hours. I love the way the AC games ease you into the story. AC2 got off to a really slow start but I admired the way the developers allowed you to get invested in the character before the shit hit the fan. Brotherhood does the same sort of thing but with much less hand holding.

I'm already emotionally invested in this story. I'm as pissed off as Ezio is after the villa opening. And that first Borgia tower takedown was kind of cathartic, a big FUCK YEAH moment to kick off this war with the Borgia assholes.

I wasn't expecting to be into this game's story much at all, but so far I'm all in. I love this series so much.

Ugh.

I was so in love with the multiplayer in this game. Now I'm level 43, and the only thing keeping me playing is that damn level 50 achievement.

I've realized that everything great about multiplayer comes from the underlying gameplay mechanics that were established in AC and AC2. Anything that actually relates to actual multiplayer balance and design is pretty lacking.

Case in point - respawning into a game of Alliance across the entire map from my target (a sliver on my radar). I take literally THREE STEPS FORWARD and get gutted by a member of the team hunting me.

Nice spawn AI Ubi.

Combined with the general inconsistency of the abilities (not close enough to use poison? I am literally HUMPING the guy...dropped a smoke bomb? Hope it works...), the game just gets more frustrating as you try more and more tactical and experimental things.

A good start. But I'll done with it's current incarnation in about 15 matches or so.

Top Bottom