• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
deadnoob said:
Just finished the main story today. I'm fairly comfortable in saying that AC is some of the most satisfying gameplay and story I've ever encountered. I love this series :D
Now go read some
Zechariah Sitchin and Van Daniken...

cluto

Pancho said:
Just a quick multiplayer question

If you alter your persona's gear and/or color does the copies that spawn on the map would look exactly like yo? Or will they spawn with the default skin?
I don't think iNvidious01 really understood your question. If you pick the Barber and change his color to black and equip advanced gear, all the AI Barbers will also be black with advanced gear. Multiplayer levels are populated by the exact same models used by the respective player.

The Antitype said:
The targeting system is nothing short of shit. Whoever designed, executed and QAed it should be embarrassed. Centering the reticule over your target and hitting the trigger is just as likely to lock onto a civy 10 feet away. Targeting somebody in a group is borderline impossible even with PERFECT input by the player.
You do know that you can hold down the Left Trigger to more easily lock-on to your target, right? It's not good by any means, but it's way better than hammering on the left trigger and hoping the game will read your mind.

rataven

Couple odd glitches have happened to me recently in MP. Thought I'd share to see if anyone else has experienced the wackiness.

- Joined a session of Manhunt a few minutes into the match. My team selected the priest, but when I spawned on the map, I'm the architect! The only architect. I stood out like a sore thumb, but played the match anyway for the lulz.
- Someone poisoned me in Advanced Wanted, but I didn't die. Just roamed around in that green squiggly haze. I'm at a complete loss as to how this happened. Lasted several minutes because I couldn't see my target and my pursuer sucked.
- I'm in a session as the Officer and I stabbed my target through the back for a kill. But my character didn't holster his spear! Don't know if other players could see that or not, but I'm trying to remain conspicuous holding this long spear that none of the other Officer NPCs were holding. Ridiculous.

Most of these glitches were just kind of funny, but I've been playing MP for over a month now and they just started to occur more often. Was curious if anyone else had been experiencing this stuff.

I envy those who don't have OCD tendencies. This game is evil. I'm not even done sequence four and I've nearly put 20 hours in. You are giving me maps to flags? I never gave a shit about flags before or feathers. They are on my map now? Must collect all before next memory sequence. Treasures too. I've rebuilt more than half of Rome, taken out all but 3 towers, solved 7 subject puzzles and JUST unlocked the recruits meta-game. I had to take a break for a day because I realized I'm not finishing this sequence until all my recruits are near max level. I have a damn backlog Ubisoft and you set it back a month. I love and hate you at the same time.

iNvid02

cluto said:
all the AI Barbers will also be black with advanced gear. Multiplayer levels are populated by the exact same models used by the respective player.

i was thinking about wanted, people have different gear on depending on their level. so the AI must be split so everyone can blend properly. so there will be some default ai, some with other gear on etc or no?

I'm having such a hard time getting into this. I bought and beat ACII near it's release and I feel like I JUST beat it not long ago after starting BH up. I know it's a sequel but everything is so familiar that it's doesn't make any difference to me. The multiplayer is fun..that is after it takes 20 mins to actually get into a game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
iNvidious01 said:
To lower your notoriety take down wanted posters, kill witnesses, dye your outfit

:lol I honestly thought the dyes were for people who just got tired of looking at white. Also because Ezio has awesome clothes in general and the dyes make them look gorgeous. I feel like I'm playing with dolls whenever I dye him a different color. :lol

The only hard part of the game so far is finding the damn Subject 16 portals. The puzzles are easy, but I think I'm going to cheat a bit on finding the portals. Running around the Colosseum in Eagle Vision repeatedly gets very old very fast.

Have they fixed the animus loading glitch, i sold it in rage as i had put about 30 hours into it then got the never ending loading animus glitch in modern day. Would buy it back if it was patched.:lol

luxarific said:
:lol I honestly thought the dyes were for people who just got tired of looking at white. Also because Ezio has awesome clothes in general and the dyes make them look gorgeous. I feel like I'm playing with dolls whenever I dye him a different color. :lol

The only hard part of the game so far is finding the damn Subject 16 portals. The puzzles are easy, but I think I'm going to cheat a bit on finding the portals. Running around the Colosseum in Eagle Vision repeatedly gets very old very fast.

Check the top.

And Ezio's problem is that Altair's robes are the best outfit in the game. Seeing the last 3 or so chapters with that outfit as Il Mentore? Delicious.

iNvid02

Boombloxer said:
Check the top.

And Ezio's problem is that Altair's robes are the best outfit in the game. Seeing the last 3 or so chapters with that outfit as Il Mentore? Delicious.

thats what i did, it was pretty good

Massa

Just beat the game. Very enjoyable, but not on the same level as AC2 imo. It also felt quite a bit more rough.

Also, WTH is up with the "Desmond" side of the story in this series. How anyone likes that stuff I can't even begin to understand, it's just nonsense.

SamuraiX-

Just finished the single player campaign...

My... God...

The entire Sequence 9 was fuck awesome. But that ending... Sweet Jesus @ that ending... Jumping straight into the spoilers thread now. :lol

cluto

iNvidious01 said:
i was thinking about wanted, people have different gear on depending on their level. so the AI must be split so everyone can blend properly. so there will be some default ai, some with other gear on etc or no?
No? I don't know if you're confused or you're confusing me now, but it's honestly really simple. There are 8 different persona types walking around a level (it doesn't matter what the gametype is). You can think of the personae customized by the players (example: Barber with black clothing and advanced gear) as the Originals. The game then makes lots and lots of copies of those Originals which are the AI walking around the level. Other people's gear and color choices do not factor into the AI that look like you. All the Barbers on the map are going to look like the player that chose the Barber; all the Hellequins on the map are going to look like the player that chose the Hellequin; all the Engineers on the map are going to look like the player that chose the Engineer etc.

If the player's customized persona is using default gear and the default color, then yes, all the AI on the map of the same persona type will also look like the default one.

Echoeing others in this thread - I didnt originally intend to do so, but because it is so damn good I have put in the hours and basically done everything anyway.

Im about level 44 of the Multiplayer, so will probably get that achievment relativly soon. My question is though - has ANYONE got Role Model and Extreme Variety legit? :lol It seems like you HAVE to boost for those.

If anyone has got either of those legit bravo - I honestly cant imagine that ever being the case though - you need to do a bunch of really specific rare things all in the space of 10 minuites.

iNvid02

cluto said:
No? I don't know if you're confused or you're confusing me now, but it's honestly really simple. There are 8 different persona types walking around a level (it doesn't matter what the gametype is). You can think of the personae customized by the players (example: Barber with black clothing and advanced gear) as the Originals. The game then makes lots and lots of copies of those Originals which are the AI walking around the level. Other people's gear and color choices do not factor into the AI that look like you. All the Barbers on the map are going to look like the player that chose the Barber; all the Hellequins on the map are going to look like the player that chose the Hellequin; all the Engineers on the map are going to look like the player that chose the Engineer etc.

If the player's customized persona is using default gear and the default color, then yes, all the AI on the map of the same persona type will also look like the default one.

i swear i knew this already, but for some reason i thought there could more than one player choosing the same persona which you cant do.

Never intended on playing this game even though I REALLY enjoyed the first two. Got it as an x-mas gift. Thought it's main focus was on multiplayer and there was just a short story. Well 30+ hours later I'm happy to say I was wrong.
This is easily my favorite in the series. Incredible game and now one of my favorite franchises. So much polish in the single player. A beautiful game too.
Sure there were a couple of instances where I wanted to rip my hair out("lost target" when he's 15 ft in front of me =/ ). but overall what a game.
:D

dralla

uh how do I do shop quests? it says I can get the large pouch from the tailor if I do it but I don't know what it is.

I also renovated some aqueducts but it disappeared and says it's broken again and the architect is gone :[

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
dralla said:
uh how do I do shop quests? it says I can get the large pouch from the tailor if I do it but I don't know what it is.

I also renovated some aqueducts but it disappeared and says it's broken again and the architect is gone :[
Only the shops near Eizo's hideout have the shop quests.

The aqueducts are listed as "broken" on the map regardless.. if the icon has a solid black outline on the map screen, you're done with it.

dralla said:

All the shop quests are is you finding specific items and giving them to the shop for the item like a sword or large quiver bag, for example: You go to a blacksmiths store quest, bottom right it will list 3 items for you to find, 2x shrunken heads 3 x satin etc.

You get these items from treasure chests, assassins contracts and other ways.

ultron87

I think I finished one shop quest in the entire game. At some point it just becomes not worth it when you already have 37 awesome methods of murdering guards.

Yeah, I wouldn't go out of my way to try and complete the shop quests, if you have the stuff when you go to a shop then you may as well but otherwise don't worry.

rataven

Truthfully, the shop quests probably aren't worth the time or effort required to complete them. The rewards aren't that great. You get the best weapons from the guild challenges and the best armor from the lairs (though cover it up with a skin cause it's hideous). The large quiver is nice though, and thankfully it's also one of the easier quests.

cluto said:
You do know that you can hold down the Left Trigger to more easily lock-on to your target, right? It's not good by any means, but it's way better than hammering on the left trigger and hoping the game will read your mind.

:lol It would be pretty funny if I made it all the way to level 50 without knowing that. Yes, I was aware. It still feels off though.

Anyway, that post was made after a particularly infuriating night. I still enjoy the multiplayer, I just really wish these issues had been ironed out.

Now that I've made it to 50, I'm taking a break from the game. I'll jump back in in a few weeks, and hopefully be greeted by a title update. :D

I wish they had incorporated the combat into the multiplayer. Sure, it's a little simplistic in single player, but having the B just be a win-button is a little irritating. It would be cool if, instead of just knocking them out, B initiates a duel, with the hunted winning treated as a normal escape. Game could use a little bit more complexity.

SamuraiX-

For the long-time Assassin's Creed fans, I recommend going back and playing the original after you've finished Brotherhood.

It feels so refreshing to play through the first one again. I really enjoyed everything about the game, particularly the design. Everything has a more grimy and more realistic touch to it, but maybe that's more due to the time period. The characters and environment in ACII and ACB feel almost cartoon-like compared to the original AC. I really hope Ubisoft will bring back the design/presentation aspects from the original AC in future sequels.

Leunam

They get nothing and you don't lose them. However, I think you do lose them if you send them on a mission where the rating is represented in stars instead of diamonds.

dralla said:
mother fucker i wish the game would've told me that. don't fail me now Bianca :[

I sent 8 of my 10 people on 2 different missions, both of which had 85%+ chance of succeeding and both failed. Lost all 8 recruits. Luckily it didn't hurt much since I was near the very end of the game, but still, would have enjoyed having them. Most of them were level 4-5's

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Leunam said:
They get nothing and you don't lose them. However, I think you do lose them if you send them on a mission where the rating is represented in stars instead of diamonds.
They do die if they fail, even if its just a regular diamond quest.

Star quest are linked to Project Legacy, completing them in AC:B unlocks them in PL. Completing them in PL gets you some bonus rewards in AC:B iirc.

Patriotsbball5460 said:
I sent 8 of my 10 people on 2 different missions, both of which had 85%+ chance of succeeding and both failed. Lost all 8 recruits. Luckily it didn't hurt much since I was near the very end of the game, but still, would have enjoyed having them. Most of them were level 4-5's

Having a full group of fully ranked assassins is the best thing ever :lol

I like when the guards start trying to cause trouble with me I just call some in and *BAM* smoke bomb then they jump down take them out and disappear :D

Leunam

Killthee said:
They do die if they fail, even if its just a regular diamond quest.

Star quest are linked to Project Legacy, completing them in AC:B unlocks them in PL. Completing them in PL gets you some bonus rewards in AC:B iirc.

I see. Could've sworn I've failed regular quests yet didn't lose recruits. Didn't really know what the difference was since I haven't bothered with the facebook game.

SamuraiX- said:
For the long-time Assassin's Creed fans, I recommend going back and playing the original after you've finished Brotherhood.

It feels so refreshing to play through the first one again. I really enjoyed everything about the game, particularly the design. Everything has a more grimy and more realistic touch to it, but maybe that's more due to the time period. The characters and environment in ACII and ACB feel almost cartoon-like compared to the original AC. I really hope Ubisoft will bring back the design/presentation aspects from the original AC in future sequels.

I'll assume you mean visual design. That's mainly the art style of the time period for both games. I don't think one is really better than the other, just different.
The middle east does not look like Italy.

Having played all three, I can say that I'm looking forward to a different period to play, although a multiple city Assassin's Creed would be fun as hell.

Level 4-5? Get them to 10, it doesn't take that long, and they are unstoppable at that point.
Smoke bombs, gunfire, massive death, and they disappear.

Basically, like a coup-less mafia:lol

Sai

Seriously, game's easy enough already, the maxed out Assassin recruits just make it a cake walk.

Leunam said:
I see. Could've sworn I've failed regular quests yet didn't lose recruits.
I think it depends on your chances of success, and/or the number of recruits you send in. I've sent single recruits out on missions that they've failed even though they had a high chance of success, and they've come back alive.

SamuraiX-

Boombloxer said:
I'll assume you mean visual design. That's mainly the art style of the time period for both games. I don't think one is really better than the other, just different.
The middle east does not look like Italy.

Having played all three, I can say that I'm looking forward to a different period to play, although a multiple city Assassin's Creed would be fun as hell.l

Yeah. I really do prefer the visual design of Assassin's Creed more than ACII and ACB. The the simplicity of the game design as well. Eavesdropping, pickpocketing, and interrogating to learn about your targets should have stayed but I understand they wanted to go a different direction with the sequels to make the game more accessible to a larger audience.

However, despite all the new so-called revolutionary features that have been implemented into the past couple of sequel, I still think the original is my favorite. Nothing has topped its atmosphere and visual design. Venice from ACII came close though.

Sai said:
Seriously, game's easy enough already, the maxed out Assassin recruits just make it a cake walk.

It's easy if you cheese your way through by just spamming the crossbow or always going high profile.

I didn't use my recruits too often and sometimes I abused arrow storm too much, but like Boombloxer said, calling in two fully trained assassins and watching them double team the shit out of a larger group of guards is something that never gets old. They also generally can do it much more quickly and quietly than you can. I wish I used them more during Borgia tower runs to avoid getting detected so much.

However, the one area of the game where they were definitely more than helpful was
toward the end during Sequence 8 when Ezio finally retrieves the Apple and all you can do is keep spamming it to force guards into attacking each other. Most of the time the main targets I needed to die weren't dying and I kept getting swarmed and couldn't keep spamming it because I was losing too much health. Seven fully trained assassin recruits were so useful and so much fun to use in that situation.

NeoUltima

Massa said:
Just beat the game. Very enjoyable, but not on the same level as AC2 imo. It also felt quite a bit more rough.

Also, WTH is up with the "Desmond" side of the story in this series. How anyone likes that stuff I can't even begin to understand, it's just nonsense.
Agreed, as far as the single player is concerned.

I might enjoy the modern day story if they would actually gives us more time with it and at least try to explain it somewhat. We just get little scraps and teases. I get they want to make a complex story, but they need give the player more time with it for it to work. More/longer cutscenes, specifically ones that recap wtf is going on, and some database entries about this modern stuff could help me to appreciate it more.

dralla

played from 2:30pm to 3:30am. :lol it's really too bad the one thing that sticks out is how awful the Leonardo missions were. It was like I was playing a stealth game from 1998. Why would you take me out of the city and put me in these crap locations with no room to move and no flexibility.

ZeroRay

dralla said:
played from 2:30pm to 3:30am. :lol it's really too bad the one thing that sticks out is how awful the Leonardo missions were. It was like I was playing a stealth game from 1998. Why would you take me out of the city and put me in these crap locations with no room to move and no flexibility.

I happen to enjoy stealth games from that era. :D

The vehicle segments are the terrible parts of those missions.

Massa said:

The Desmond story is the connective tissue between the different Assassin stories. Without it, AC would be nothing but a series of disconnected novellas about different Assassin's throughout time.

And AC2 and Brotherhood are both starting to inject the modern-day element directly into the animus action,
what with characters speaking directly to Desmond via Ezio and whatnot.

What part of the Desmond storyline is throwing you?

dralla said:

Yeah, what the hell happened with these missions? I just rushed through them as quick as possible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I know all of the game's core mechanics basically boil down to busywork grinding ala Farmville, but I can't help but enjoy them. I buy landmarks even though they lead to nothing and I don't need the money. I send assassins on missions even though my dudes are more than strong enough without further level ups. I recruit more assassins as I take down towers even though I won't ever be using the new guys in my active squads. I look for useless treasures and feathers even though having a map removes most/all of the satisfaction of actually finding them.

I can't think of another game ever released that has so many dead end mechanics that are still totally enjoyable. Ubisoft have really tapped into something.

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah, what the hell happened with these missions? I just rushed through them as quick as possible.

Having not beaten the game and thus having not seen the credits, I know Ubisoft used a different development strategy with AC2 where one team did the main game, one team did the Villa economy system, and one team did the Assassin's Tombs. This allowed for them to give junior designers some autonomy to prove themselves as well as segmenting content creation into different teams to speed up development time. It paid off too, because both the Assassin's Tombs and the Villa economy were widely praised and the main game didn't suffer at all--in fact, it was a significantly better game than it would have been otherwise.

I'm guessing with Brotherhood that the Wolf Shrines and the War Machines segments were both produced by modest teams who otherwise had nothing to do with the main game. It's possible there was a central dictum to make some stealth-esque missions to counterbalance the pure platforming of the Assassin's Tombs / Wolf Shrines. The thing is that stealth is reallllllly tricky to get right and I don't think they did so here.

That's okay, at least where I am in the game (beginning of Seq 8) none of those missions after the first one are even mandatory, so if you really hate them I guess you can skip them!

SamuraiX-

Stumpokapow said:
I know all of the game's core mechanics basically boil down to busywork grinding ala Farmville, but I can't help but enjoy them. I buy landmarks even though they lead to nothing and I don't need the money. I send assassins on missions even though my dudes are more than strong enough without further level ups. I recruit more assassins as I take down towers even though I won't ever be using the new guys in my active squads. I look for useless treasures and feathers even though having a map removes most/all of the satisfaction of actually finding them.

I can't think of another game ever released that has so many dead end mechanics that are still totally enjoyable. Ubisoft have really tapped into something.

This is what caused me to collect all the flags in my first run through the original Assassin's Creed.

The environments are just so beautiful and begging to be explored, as well as the method in which you do it (free-running) really adds to the fun factor more than in any other game for me. People just need a "collectible" incentive to drive them to explore.

I just had a awesome moment on the multiplayer.

I was in a static crowd of about 4 characters which I morphed. Through SHEER luck a good 3 NPC's all with my character later came and joined. I put decoy on one of the originals as the enemy came - who killed him.

As that happened 2 of the other enemies closed in, and both killed random crowd members. I assume they thought the NPC's who joined the crowd late were humans. Normally I would have gone for a Stun and run for it at this point, but I was a bit distracted and could barely control the stupid lock on system (which downright refused to target the enemy next to me that just killed a civ) - in my fumbling they managed to kill every single NPC around me (about 7 of them!).

I stunned one and ran off, I dont know if I would have escaped because the match ended in a victory mid chase. :D

The thing is, these guys werent stupid, they were high levels and played smart for the entire game up to that point, I guess the NPC movement really through them off.

Dibbz

dralla said:
wat? Those were some of the best missions in the game. I fuckin loved sneaking around the place trying to get the blueprints. Felt like an awesome mix of MGS hiding round corners and Tenchu running on rooftops.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
kyo_daikun said:

I actually thought they were some of the best missions in the game. =/

Especially the one where you take control of the glider again.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Dibbz said:
wat? Those were some of the best missions in the game. I fuckin loved sneaking around the place trying to get the blueprints. Felt like an awesome mix of MGS hiding round corners and Tenchu running on rooftops.
I loved the Leonardo missions as well. The stealth parts at least.

jkanownik

Stumpokapow said:
Having not beaten the game and thus having not seen the credits, I know Ubisoft used a different development strategy with AC2 where one team did the main game, one team did the Villa economy system, and one team did the Assassin's Tombs. This allowed for them to give junior designers some autonomy to prove themselves as well as segmenting content creation into different teams to speed up development time. It paid off too, because both the Assassin's Tombs and the Villa economy were widely praised and the main game didn't suffer at all--in fact, it was a significantly better game than it would have been otherwise.

I'm guessing with Brotherhood that the Wolf Shrines and the War Machines segments were both produced by modest teams who otherwise had nothing to do with the main game. It's possible there was a central dictum to make some stealth-esque missions to counterbalance the pure platforming of the Assassin's Tombs / Wolf Shrines. The thing is that stealth is reallllllly tricky to get right and I don't think they did so here.

That's okay, at least where I am in the game (beginning of Seq 8) none of those missions after the first one are even mandatory, so if you really hate them I guess you can skip them!

Where did you read the details on how they split up the work? I'd love to read more on it.

Top Bottom