• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

dralla

The biggest strength of AC is moving around the city as you please, using the items/weapons at your disposal. The Leonardo missions warp you to these remote locations where it's basically point A to point B without being seen. There are no proper stealth mechanics like ducking so it really comes down to exploiting crap enemy AI to get by.

Just now for example I had to take down 2 couriers for an Assassination Contract mission. I hid in a group of people, used the poison dart on one of the couriers guards, big group stood by and watched, I walked through them and poisoned the courier and walked away without being noticed. Once he died the guards went on alert and on my way to the second courier I was spotted by 2 guards, I threw a smoke bomb and sprinted to a horse, ran down the second courier and assassinated him off the horse. Than me and bystanders took out the rest of his guards in a brawl. Stuff like this would never happen in the Leo missions, at least not in the ones I played [first 3]

DaBuddaDa

I have trouble enjoying the "don't get detected" missions. When you approach a single, lone guard and stab him the split second after he notices you, why should you desynch and have to restart? Yeah, that one guard saw me, but guess what? I stabbed him in the face and neck, he's not gonna be alerting anyone else. You should only fail if more than one guard in a certain large radius notice you at the same time, or something like that.

dralla

are certain items found in certain locations or is it random? I really want this armor piece but it's shop quest only

Apoc29

This game is huge. I beat the main storyline, and now when I open up the map there are still like 1 million points of interest :lol.

One nitpick I have though is every time you renovate something you have watch this animation. And I often want to renovate everything in the area, but I have to do them one by one.

I do think it's funny though when townspeople come up to you begging for money, and I'm like, "sorry, can't spare a dime." Then I immediately buy the nearest bank right in front of them.

Kurtofan

Apoc29 said:
This game is huge. I beat the main storyline, and now when I open up the map there are still like 1 million points of interest :lol.

One nitpick I have though is every time you renovate something you have watch this animation. And I often want to renovate everything in the area, but I have to do them one by one.

I do think it's funny though when townspeople come up to you begging for money, and I'm like, "sorry, can't spare a dime." Then I immediately buy the nearest bank right in front of them.
Then after I stab them.
Desynchronisation be damned

bumpkin

I've been playing the shit outta this sumbitch and I'm up to 98.51% synch... I've got all the feathers, all the flags, and only 3 memories with less than 100% synch. Of course two out of the three I have left are complete pains in the ass because the important parts are preceded by 5-10 minute sequences...

- Secret Locations -> Something something among wolves (catacombs)
- War Machines -> Bomber
- War Machines -> Tank

dralla

speaking of renovation, it would be cool if you could renovate landmarks you bought. I want to renovate the Colosseum, get it up and running again

I'm in love with this series. I want more but not at the cost of its integrity. I'm hoping a B-team is working on a spin-off for 2011 while the A-team is prepping for AC3 for 2012... which would coincide with the modern day setting (I haven't beaten Brotherhood yet so I have no idea if time passed in Desmond's story...).

I've posed the idea of an American Rev. War setting but it was shot down because "not enough tall buildings". But what if that dynamic is replaced in favor of other ideas. As complained about above, crouching and other proper stealth options could become available and having forests and villages and populated towns would suffice. Hell, a good chunk of Rome is hills and fields with ruins here and there to climb about. I just want to see the tricorn hat and long coat refitted to look as badass as Ezio and Altair.

Does anyone have the secret to getting into 'wanted' player matches with a friend? Every time we start up a group and search for a game, we get separated into different lobbies.

This game has its lions share of logistic issues, but man is it fun!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
MrCompletely said:
Does anyone have the secret to getting into 'wanted' player matches with a friend? Every time we start up a group and search for a game, we get separated into different lobbies.

This game has its lions share of logistic issues, but man is it fun!
Have one person join a game then go to your friends list and join them.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I'm in love with this series. I want more but not at the cost of its integrity. I'm hoping a B-team is working on a spin-off for 2011 while the A-team is prepping for AC3 for 2012... which would coincide with the modern day setting (I haven't beaten Brotherhood yet so I have no idea if time passed in Desmond's story...).

I've posed the idea of an American Rev. War setting but it was shot down because "not enough tall buildings". But what if that dynamic is replaced in favor of other ideas. As complained about above, crouching and other proper stealth options could become available and having forests and villages and populated towns would suffice. Hell, a good chunk of Rome is hills and fields with ruins here and there to climb about. I just want to see the tricorn hat and long coat refitted to look as badass as Ezio and Altair.

The other issue is that the American Revolution is kind of...limited in it's worldwide international appeal, and Assassin's Creed is a franchise that sells gangbusters in Europe.

So unless they could retrofit a story around it where the Templars were somehow responsible, behind the scenes, for the Americans winning the war and forming the nation (which would be kind of cool, actually), I think Ubisoft would rather investigate more...widely accepted time periods and locales.

Personally, I'd love to see them return to the Crusades to finish up Altair's story. There's no reason the Assasin's have to solve every piece of this mystery by moving forward, chronologically through time. Maybe there was an integral piece left back in Altair's time that got lost along the way. It would make for a return to a beloved character, a time period that we know works well, and it has wide appeal.

Then put part 3...I don't know, how weird do you want to get? You could go to the lost city of Atlantis if you wanted to. Most of the game will probably be Desmond.

Holy hell I hate this dodgy englitalian accent everyone uses.. I guess this is what drove me away from number 2.
Borrowed it off my brother and got to killing wolfmen then went and wasted 2 hours doing combat training to get golds :lol

Rikyfree

Johnlenham said:
Holy hell I hate this dodgy englitalian accent everyone uses.. I guess this is what drove me away from number 2.
Borrowed it off my brother and got to killing wolfmen then went and wasted 2 hours doing combat training to get golds :lol
You're complaining about the accents? Nitpick much?

MMaRsu

Johnlenham said:

Then just put the audio on italian.

Rikyfree said:
You're complaining about the accents? Nitpick much?

This is about the only thing I hate but you have to hear it all the time, I wait with baited breath for Fat tony to make an appearance. Other than Desmond the supporting people also have annoying voices:lol

Alx

I like the accents, it makes a good compromise between playing the game in English and being vaguely coherent with the context.
I even liked the accent of the French soldiers, even if it was obvious most weren't native French speakers.
"Which part of France are you from ?" "Montreal !" :D

Kurtofan

Alx said:
I like the accents, it makes a good compromise between playing the game in English and being vaguely coherent with the context.
I even liked the accent of the French soldiers, even if it was obvious most weren't native French speakers.
That's in the English version, right?
I didn't notice anything like that in the French version.

Alx

I always have the options set to english voices, so yeah. I didn't even try the french voice-overs since they are usually awful.

Kurtofan

Alx said:
I always have the options set to english voices, so yeah. I didn't even try the french voice-overs since they are usually awful.
What!
They're great, I prefer them to English ones any time of the day.

big_z

finished the game tonight, got all the single player achievements but im not going to 100% sync everything like i did with AC2. overall the game is very good, lots of improvements over the last one but the short developement time and parts being handled by B-teams do show. had to restart a few missions due to them bugging out and i got one bug that made me fly over rome from thousands of feet up.

really wish ubisoft wasnt milking the series. this year there shouldnt be an assissins creed game yet we're getting one anyway. they're going to tarnish the series and player fatigue is going to set in. i wouldnt be surprised if Patrice leaving ubisoft was a result of them making brotherhood and altering the original vision he had.

Ranger X

Kurtofan said:
What!
They're great, I prefer them to English ones any time of the day.

I also prefer to put the game in English because they still talk with alot of Italian and most importantly -- with an Italian accent.
Now you put the game in French and the guys are all talking like in France. No Italian accent except obviously when they try to say something in Italian...

Kurtofan

Ranger X said:
I also prefer to put the game in English because they still talk with alot of Italian and most importantly -- with an Italian accent.
Now you put the game in French and the guys are all talking like in France. No Italian accent except obviously when they try to say something in Italian...
Meh I don't mind, false accents sound ridiculous most of the time.

Yopis

Finally have all week to play this game after buying close to launch. How is the multiplayer holding up guys? Hope it's not dead.

MjFrancis

The Antitype said:
The other issue is that the American Revolution is kind of...limited in it's worldwide international appeal, and Assassin's Creed is a franchise that sells gangbusters in Europe.
How viable would the French Revolution be? I can see it already... cobblestone Parisian streets, beautiful architecture, guillotines and a host of political and military conflicts to build from. That setting has a little more potential than the American Revolution so far as I can tell.

Alx said:

Yeah. I don't know if it's like AC2, but you had voice actors from France AND Quebec in the French version which was pretty cool. It's not surprising since some of the appearances for a couple of characters were based off of some actors from Quebec.

Also, for Quebec-Gaf, anybody weirded out a bit when they stumble upon the 'Canal Évasion' channel with the travelling show in Panama and see Desmond/Ezio/Altaïr hosting? :lol

Francisco_randez.jpg

Does anyone find it kind of weird/game breaking that basically 75 percent of all the side stuff is pretty much doable just a few hours or sequences into the game? I'm not complaining. In fact that's all I've been doing the past few days. I'm in sequence 4 and haven't met Leo yet, but have nearly all of the guild challenges finished, feathers collected, nearly all towers destroyed, assassains at max rank, 75 percent of all landmarks and shops owned, 8 of 10 glyphs found, etc.

I guess it's my fault for trying to do everything at once. It'll be pretty sweet just finishing up the main story, though, without worrying about all the side stuff. For those who want to know how sad I am, my game clock says I've been playing more than 23 hours so far.

GillianSeed79 said:
Does anyone find it kind of weird/game breaking that basically 75 percent of all the side stuff is pretty much doable just a few hours or sequences into the game? I'm not complaining. In fact that's all I've been doing the past few days. I'm in sequence 4 and haven't met Leo yet, but have nearly all of the guild challenges finished, feathers collected, nearly all towers destroyed, assassains at max rank, 75 percent of all landmarks and shops owned, 8 of 10 glyphs found, etc.

I guess it's my fault for trying to do everything at once. It'll be pretty sweet just finishing up the main story, though, without worrying about all the side stuff. For those who want to know how sad I am, my game clock says I've been playing more than 23 hours so far.

Not everything is open to you right away, I know there's one or two areas on the map not available until you reach a certain sequence.

Rocwell

I hit a few glitches playing this, aside from the occasional freezing, I made the mistake of buying the metal glove and poison darts from Leonardo at the same time, and I only got the glove. I went back later and he said he had nothing to sell me. The Vatican section of the map would go back and forth from visible to hidden for no apparent reason. And for 3/4ths of my play-through every time the game loaded a new area I'd get the notification about "Rome's income increased to X florins" All in all pretty good for an open world game but it's still irritating.

I tried to play this game with the Italian language settings on but it was just so jarring when scenes with Desmond come up because they should presumably be speaking English. That and the incidental background dialog isn't subtitled. It'd be nice if they had separate language settings for inside and outside the animus. I will probably pick the game up again in a month and give it a go with the Italian audio.

The ending also kind of snuck up on me, I thought there would be a few more story missions to play around with once you'd opened up the whole map, but soon I was stuck on a forced path until I finished the story.
You can't do any side missions once you obtain the P.O.E. right?

I didn't care for the ending much myself.
When I got to the Colosseum I was hoping to get to use Desmond's hidden blade on some dudes only to be disappointed by the ONE time he got to use it. :\
I think the way the story is progressing it bodes well for AC3 focusing on Desmond's exploits outside the animus more than inside it. I really think the next game should take place primarily in the modern era in a European city.

Multiplayer for this can go to hell. So now apparently in Manhunt at least, the attackers attack takes precedence over stuns? WTF IS THIS SHIT!? I HAD 5 STUNS IN A ROW JUJISTSU BLOCKED AND THEN STABBED TO DEATH! UGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Irish

Rocwell said:
I hit a few glitches playing this, aside from the occasional freezing, I made the mistake of buying the metal glove and poison darts from Leonardo at the same time, and I only got the glove. I went back later and he said he had nothing to sell me.

You sure you didn't get the poison darts? They take up the same slot as the regular poison, but you hold Square to shoot them.

ultron87

Rocwell said:
When I got to the Colosseum I was hoping to get to use Desmond's hidden blade on some dudes

I'm actually glad they avoided this. It looked so ridiculous in AC2 when the Templars stormed your building wielding nothing but batons so that the counter system still worked.

Though obviously at some point they're going to need to figure out how to work effective firearms into the combat system if they are ever going to get to modern day.

SamuraiX- said:
This is what caused me to collect all the flags in my first run through the original Assassin's Creed.

The environments are just so beautiful and begging to be explored, as well as the method in which you do it (free-running) really adds to the fun factor more than in any other game for me. People just need a "collectible" incentive to drive them to explore.

Guilty man, here.

But for Leonardo's missions, I did like what they tried, even if the vehicle execution wasn't all there. Basically, it's a mini-story/focused mission in an open world game--no exploration needed, but the transition was somewhat awkward. Like the Tank mission, or the Flying Machine mission (what I imagine was the "Fuck This Shit" moment for many).

However, I think that the last mission in RDR: UN actually did this pretty well, because it took a familiar area, and introduced you to a part you never knew was there. I think if they did them more in that sense, they'd work better. Kinda like the Tombs, only with hidden weapons being built, or something like that.

I do expect this in AC3, only with different cities across Europe.

How viable would the French Revolution be? I can see it already... cobblestone Parisian streets, beautiful architecture, guillotines and a host of political and military conflicts to build from. That setting has a little more potential than the American Revolution so far as I can tell.

Just looking at the Asterisk Assassin's mission text, I think that both are somewhat viable, as is Lisbon. Maybe not an entire game in America, but being represented in the New World is very clearly stated.

MjFrancis said:

I think French Revolution would work, as far as aesthetics and appeal. Plus it was bloody as hell, so it could make for quite the epic, memorable finale. :lol

Boombloxer said:
Just looking at the Asterisk Assassin's mission text, I think that both are somewhat viable, as is Lisbon. Maybe not an entire game in America, but being represented in the New World is very clearly stated.

I always assumed that was kind of confirmation that Desmond is the US in 2012. Like, yes, the path is leading them that way, but that doesn't mean that memories that Desmond requires are necessarily during the formation of the USA.

Honestly, the further that AC stays away from guns the better. I actually wouldn't mind if the series threw a curve ball and headed backward in time for the last chapter (aside from Desmond, of course).

The Antitype said:
I think French Revolution would work, as far as aesthetics and appeal. Plus it was bloody as hell, so it could make for quite the epic, memorable finale. :lol

I always assumed that was kind of confirmation that Desmond is the US in 2012. Like, yes, the path is leading them that way, but that doesn't mean that memories that Desmond requires are necessarily during the formation of the USA.

Honestly, the further that AC stays away from guns the better. I actually wouldn't mind if the series threw a curve ball and headed backward in time for the last chapter (aside from Desmond, of course).

The text mentions that specifically because it's the new world. They'd want to make sure that their ideology was there, and looking at how both the French and American Revolutions were, it's not that hard of a stretch.

Guns are 50/50 for me. They are already in the series, but I also think that it doesn't need to be an open world Uncharted with lots and lots of guns and no cover.

xKilltheMx said:
Multiplayer for this can go to hell. So now apparently in Manhunt at least, the attackers attack takes precedence over stuns? WTF IS THIS SHIT!? I HAD 5 STUNS IN A ROW JUJISTSU BLOCKED AND THEN STABBED TO DEATH! UGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Working as they intended. The intent is that you can stun your attacker if you get the jump on them, or if you can disable them in some way first. In any sort of even situation, the assassination always wins.

DaBuddaDa said:
I have trouble enjoying the "don't get detected" missions. When you approach a single, lone guard and stab him the split second after he notices you, why should you desynch and have to restart? Yeah, that one guard saw me, but guess what? I stabbed him in the face and neck, he's not gonna be alerting anyone else. You should only fail if more than one guard in a certain large radius notice you at the same time, or something like that.

I'm having this same problem in the banker mission. I've been trying to kill him through the rooftops, but the game is always desynching when one guard just seems to make face contact with me after I shank him and it's getting irritating. I was having fun with the game up until now. The game is a whole lot more fun when it gives you the freedom to complete missions how you want.

riceandbeans said:
I'm having this same problem in the banker mission. I've been trying to kill him through the rooftops, but the game is always desynching when one guard just seems to make face contact with me after I shank him and it's getting irritating. I was having fun with the game up until now. The game is a whole lot more fun when it gives you the freedom to complete missions how you want.

It's way easier to
find a seat and wait for him to make his way over to you

dralla

riceandbeans said:
unfortunately a lot of the main story missions are like that. it is without a doubt the biggest flaw in the game

dunno why people are complaining about the accents, I think Ezio's is perfect for an Italian guy speaking a mix between English and very fluent Italian.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'm well on my way to 100% sync on all memories.

I'm about to start Sequence 9 and the only memories I don't have 100% are the tank and flying machine.

The eight minute catacombs run was intense.. but finished with over a minute to spare. :3

Damn shame there's no achievement, since every other single player achievement is baby level difficulty practically.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
SketchTheArtist said:
Also, for Quebec-Gaf, anybody weirded out a bit when they stumble upon the 'Canal Évasion' channel with the travelling show in Panama and see Desmond/Ezio/Altaïr hosting? :lol

:eek: That is a gigantic adam's apple.

I loved the response that Ezio makes when the French
soldier asks him what part of France he is from.
. :lol

Top Bottom