• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

rataven

According to the Assassin's Creed Facebook page, the Rome at Dusk map in MP has been unlocked.
Excellent work Agents! You have successfully completed Dr. Vidic's ambitious requirements for the unlocking of the Rome at Dusk training environment (or "map," to use the vernacular) and this new area is now available for all competitive combat simulations. Be advised that the evening setting reduces visibility which makse training more challenging, but also more applicable to night operations. Carry on, Agents.

Just played on the 'new' map - to be fair it isnt really new as its exactly the same as Rome, just with different lighting, it was also already on the disk and just locked to us as it isnt a DLC.

Not sure how I feel about that, its not exactly a gesture of goodwill considering it came with the game.

bobs99 ... said:
Just played on the 'new' map - to be fair it isnt really new as its exactly the same as Rome, just with different lighting, it was also already on the disk and just locked to us as it isnt a DLC.

Not sure how I feel about that, its not exactly a gesture of goodwill considering it came with the game.

Well it was fairly obvious by the name 'Rome at Night' that it would just be a nighttime version of the Rome map.

I didn't know that the re-lit version was already on the disk though.

I'm much more interested in getting some new personas to play with than I am new maps though. There's plenty of map variety in the game.

The Antitype said:
Well it was fairly obvious by the name 'Rome at Night' that it would just be a nighttime version of the Rome map.

I didn't know that the re-lit version was already on the disk though.

I'm much more interested in getting some new personas to play with than I am new maps though. There's plenty of map variety in the game.

Ah yeah dont get me wrong, im not saying that im dissapointed in the map, I love seeing stuff like that, its interesting seeing how different the atmosphere can be with just a lighting change, and im hyped to see more night maps.

I am HUGELY dissapointed with the fact this map was already on this disk and just locked off from us though. This is clearly a move which they intend to make them look like they are giving free stuff to the community, when in fact they arent. The thing is, I know they gave us Mont St Micheal - which is awesome, and I cant fualt them, but I just dont get why they would lock a map off which is ready to ship.

Davedough

What ever happened to the rumors floating around some time ago that the next AC would take place in Feudal Japan? Judging by what I've seen from the Subject 16 files and such, that doesn't seem like a logical place to go and wouldn't really fit in too well with Desmond's ancestry, but I think it'd be a damn cool place to visit with Ninja v Samurai.

rataven

bobs99 ... said:
I am HUGELY dissapointed with the fact this map was already on this disk and just locked off from us though. This is clearly a move which they intend to make them look like they are giving free stuff to the community, when in fact they arent. The thing is, I know they gave us Mont St Micheal - which is awesome, and I cant fualt them, but I just dont get why they would lock a map off which is ready to ship.
I think they designed it in an effort to generate and keep interest in the MP community, since it was free and required a community challenge to unlock (25 million kills I think?). I wouldn't be surprised if we get one or two small unlocks like this over the next couple months.

I do think MP could use some new personas though, even if those are paid. I also hope that one of those is not the Officer, since I love being able to use him in every match :p But brand new characters would be rad. A Papal Guard or something.

Smo21

Davedough said:
What ever happened to the rumors floating around some time ago that the next AC would take place in Feudal Japan? Judging by what I've seen from the Subject 16 files and such, that doesn't seem like a logical place to go and wouldn't really fit in too well with Desmond's ancestry, but I think it'd be a damn cool place to visit with Ninja v Samurai.

I don't think these rumour ever had any merit to them. Just what a group of fans wanted to see.

Has a side note, lets keep the spoiler talk in the spoiler thread.

rataven

Davedough said:
There was a new piece of art released today for the upcoming AC artbook that might be from that era. You can find it here. Seems to be a standalone piece from one of The Fall guys, but you never know.

The Antitype said:
The other issue is that the American Revolution is kind of...limited in it's worldwide international appeal, and Assassin's Creed is a franchise that sells gangbusters in Europe.

So unless they could retrofit a story around it where the Templars were somehow responsible, behind the scenes, for the Americans winning the war and forming the nation (which would be kind of cool, actually), I think Ubisoft would rather investigate more...widely accepted time periods and locales.

Personally, I'd love to see them return to the Crusades to finish up Altair's story. There's no reason the Assasin's have to solve every piece of this mystery by moving forward, chronologically through time. Maybe there was an integral piece left back in Altair's time that got lost along the way. It would make for a return to a beloved character, a time period that we know works well, and it has wide appeal.

Then put part 3...I don't know, how weird do you want to get? You could go to the lost city of Atlantis if you wanted to. Most of the game will probably be Desmond.

Well, yeah, the French period would satisfy my tricorn hat and long coat need haha. Part of the influence for my wanting such a look is Brotherhood of the Wolf so there you go. I can imagine the front portion of the hat having that slight eagle's beak similar to the hoods of Altair and Ezio. And the coat being adorned with all the doodads we recognize from the assassins. Tell me that's not an awesome visual.

As for the American Revolution... I guess i envision The British, The Colonial Americans, the Native Americans with the French sprinkled in making for a multi-cultural cast and plot twists as far as who's good, who's bad and what the motives were for certain moments. GW did have an Apple of Eden, correct?

It's also a logical way to further expand on the guns without turning the game into a third person shooter. Character's still need to load after every shot and such so smart thinking and planning before your shots is a must.

Davedough

rataven said:
There was a new piece of art released today for the upcoming AC artbook that might be from that era. You can find it here. Seems to be a standalone piece from one of The Fall guys, but you never know.

Thats pretty cool and interesting.... didn't expect femme.

So I have about 6 hours into the game and about 30% synced. How much of the main story counts toward the 100% synced stuff? I am trying to get through this game to other games...

Oh and they have massively improved the combat in this game. The successive kill streaks take the monotony out of the combat. Now I can be invincible much quicker than the other 2 games. They better keep it for the 3rd.

Ready to quit the game.
Wasted over an hour trying to kill the damn banker and figure out what I was doing wrong. Went around through tons of trial and error, speed killed all the rooftop guards, and nothing. Turns out, I had to wait for the fucking cut-scene to show up and THEN kill him. Don't show an on-screen objective to kill the banker when it's not fucking time!
/rant

riceandbeans said:
Ready to quit the game.
Wasted over an hour trying to kill the damn banker and figure out what I was doing wrong. Went around through tons of trial and error, speed killed all the rooftop guards, and nothing. Turns out, I had to wait for the fucking cut-scene to show up and THEN kill him. Don't show an on-screen object to kill the banker when it's not fucking time!
/rant

Yeah that was annoying but I think it's the only part that does that. Well only one I can remember.

I kind of hope they pull an Eternal Darkness with AC3. What I mean is, have multiple historical settings. Each setting could be a different assassain Desmond relives. Maybe something like each has a different piece of the apple. Then Desmond could use those memories to find the pieces in modern times. I doubt it will be like that, though.

riceandbeans said:
Ready to quit the game.
Wasted over an hour trying to kill the damn banker and figure out what I was doing wrong. Went around through tons of trial and error, speed killed all the rooftop guards, and nothing. Turns out, I had to wait for the fucking cut-scene to show up and THEN kill him. Don't show an on-screen object to kill the banker when it's not fucking time!
/rant

Just did that mission and it was hard enough the way it was. That shit sounds terrible though. I finally sent my assassins in.

dralla

the Romulus armor is so ugly, my ezio looks so badazz

DSC00972.jpg

shiiiit.

and this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq2PfOYPaQw&feature=related

fantastic

This might be an issue of Gaf > Internet > Gaf, so sorry if im just being braindead and saw it here first, but after rewatching a few AC trailers I remembered that the next game is rumoured to be announced on the 18th of this month:

http://scrawlfx.com/2011/01/edge-teasing-new-assassins-creed

Ill be honest, I dont think with a yearly deadline that the team can produce a good game, with Brotherhood they were probably lucky that they didnt have to really do too much story/ character development - and im sure they must have had most of Rome built for AC2. So Brotherhood was just taking advantage of a good foundation.

That said, im sure as hell looking forward to the new trailers, they are ALWAYS awesome.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
^ The Rome portion in AC2 was very small.. just a fraction of the Vatican area.

I dunno, I'm all for a longer development period but the core of the game is built and probably won't expand too much further (more like AC2 to AC:B increments), all they need to do now is create new stories/locations/etc. So in that regard, maybe they could build something great (again) with just a year.

I'm in either way, I just beat Brotherhood last night.

Princess Skittles said:
^ The Rome portion in AC2 was very small.. just a fraction of the Vatican area.

I dunno, I'm all for a longer development period but the core of the game is built and probably won't expand too much further (more like AC2 to AC:B increments), all they need to do now is create new stories/locations/etc. So in that regard, maybe they could build something great (again) with just a year.

I'm in either way, I just beat Brotherhood last night.

Yeah I know, but I remember reading that they had a lot more planned with Rome but cut it, I wouldnt be suprised at all if they had a lot of Rome built up, but due to time constraints never actually took the game there (except that bit at the Vatican).

You say that you dont expect the core of the game to change as much, and that outlook would be bad. Assassins Creed 1 to 2 was a HUGE jump, im hoping for another big jump with the next game.

If all they do is create a new story with a new location then they still have a momumentus task, so far they have been really good with theyre accuracy, is a year long enough to be creative but also match things up to real history?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Smo21 said:
I am also a little worried about them rushing this one out... Anyone know how long AC2 was in development for?
They were released two year apart, though I think (or remembering hearing, at least) that a lot of Ubisoft Montreal's AC team worked on Prince of Persia (2008).. so I don't know if that two year gap was entirely ACII development time. Either way, it's pretty obvious that the final/ultimate game in this particular Desmond/Abstergo arc will be a 2012 release.

dralla

what are the guild crests? it says I unlocked some by going up in ranks of the various factions but don't see them in the hideout anywhere

luxarific

Nork unification denier
dralla said:
what are the guild crests? it says I unlocked some by going up in ranks of the various factions but don't see them in the hideout anywhere

In the corner by the fireplace (on the walls) in the hideout room that has the Leonardo models in it. Not the weapons room.

Red Blaster said:
The multiplayer is fucking broken with the perks. Why does every developer think adding perks is a good idea these days?

I don't think it's completely broken, but the progression system is severely unbalanced. Against similar levels it feels balanced, but the games always have wide range of experience among the players. I was in a game with a level 2 and a level 46 last night. Overall, I agree - This game did NOT need perks.

This game cries for a barebones Wanted mode with perks/abilities disabled.

riceandbeans said:
Ready to quit the game.
Wasted over an hour trying to kill the damn banker and figure out what I was doing wrong. Went around through tons of trial and error, speed killed all the rooftop guards, and nothing. Turns out, I had to wait for the fucking cut-scene to show up and THEN kill him. Don't show an on-screen objective to kill the banker when it's not fucking time!
/rant

This was actually my favorite mission in the game so far (still on sequence 5). i thought it was pretty clear that
you need to keep following the banker simply due to the sheer volume of guards in the area. Also, 100% synch required killing from a bench, and there are no benches until you get to that plaza area. I ended up shooting a poison dot at a guard to distract other guards, which allowed me to traverse that villa and make it to the far side of the plaza where the benches are.

bumpkin

cjdunn said:
Bought both soundtracks.

sogood.gif
I was really annoyed that the soundtrack in the collectors' editions of 2 and Brotherhood were basically embedded into a media player on a DVD. If I had known they were going to do that, I might not have bothered with the collectors' of Brotherhood. 2's was at least semi-redeemed by the damn sweet Ezio statue. They should have gone the same route as Sony did with GOW3 and provided a download to do what you want with (import into iTunes, onto your Zune, etc.).

dralla

I started a new game of AC2 and it's tough to go back. Even though the gameplay adjustments aren't that different, it's all of the sidequests. They're all completely pointless and feel like a waste of time. I'm supposed to be uncovering this huge conspiracy and you want me to deliver letters or race? :lol I love how AssBro tied all the sidequests into taking down the Borgia, it made me actually want to do them. And getting all the codex pages was so damn repetitive.

The only thing left I have to do for AssBro are the flags and some shop quests. Not sure if it's even worth at this point since I'm basically done with the game.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm about a quarter of the way through the game, according to the sync bar.

It's a fantastic game, of course, but I'm not sure how I feel about the ability to call in other assassins. It seems to cheapen the gameplay in some way. Are there points later on in the game where you NEED these extra assassins? Because right now, they make guard encounters way too easy...and they were pretty easy to begin with.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
TheExecutive said:
Question about the end-game
how do I secure the apple of eden? I have beaten the game but did not get the gold trophy for it...
You haven't beaten the game

Mifune said:
I'm about a quarter of the way through the game, according to the sync bar.

It's a fantastic game, of course, but I'm not sure how I feel about the ability to call in other assassins. It seems to cheapen the gameplay in some way. Are there points later on in the game where you NEED these extra assassins? Because right now, they make guard encounters way too easy...and they were pretty easy to begin with.

It's good to use when trying to get full-sync by not getting caught or without taking damage etc.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Play Rome again in AC2 and you will see non of the assets are in ACB. It was all the buildings from Florence.

parasight

Just finished.
THAT ENDING! Didn't think they could top AC2's ending, but just the way they make you manually kill Lucy is just incredible. I'm upset that I missed another achievement. In AC2 I didn't kick a guard from the flying machine and now I missed the 2012 artifact achievement. Didn't realize I wouldn't have access to outside of the Animus.

MP query:

Just started MP yesterday. I decided to blend in with a group immediately to pan the cam around a bit. After a lil' bit the screen suddenly goes 'watery' or as if it's blurring and my character just dies. I wasn't stabbed or shot and no-one was near me.

WAT. Some lame perk or something?

also the matchmaking sucks so far. Myself and another lvl1, the rest being between lvl30-50.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Hank Scorpio said:
MP query:

Just started MP yesterday. I decided to blend in with a group immediately to pan the cam around a bit. After a lil' bit the screen suddenly goes 'watery' or as if it's blurring and my character just dies. I wasn't stabbed or shot and no-one was near me.

also the matchmaking sucks so far. Myself and another lvl1, the rest being between lvl30-50.
Poisoned. Your pursuer got within touching distance and poisoned you. You unlock poison ~lv 27.

Listen for the whispers. When your pursuer gets near you'll start to hear whispers, the closer he gets the louder the whispers will be.

Hank Scorpio said:
MP query:

Did the screen go green too? You were probably poisoned. (it was probably something different, but I'm also new to the game so I wouldn't know).

Killthee said:
Poisoned. Your pursuer got within touching distance and poisoned you. You unlock poison ~lv 27.

Listen for the whispers. When your pursuer gets near you'll start to hear whispers, the closer he gets the louder the whispers will be.

Oh right, poisoned. Poison dart/bullet I presume since no-one came up within touching distance of me.

Wish the tutorial was a little a bit better explaining things.

bumpkin

So I gave MP a whirl for the first time last night. It's alright I guess, but some aspects of it pissed me off. I think my biggest gripe was getting taken out despite seeing my pursuer coming from a mile away; the "stun" never seemed to work. Can you not counter assassination attempts? Is it some unlockable perk?

It also seemed like no matter what I did -- blending, hiding, etc. -- they'd find me right away and kill me. And no, I wasn't usually the only character of my type in the area.

I may mess with it more, but my initial impressions aren't super great... I guess I know how the thousands of hapless guards I've snuffed in SP feel. :lol

Ugh MP when you start nearing lvl 50 is broken (for me at least) EVERY time I select Play Now, I get either Manhunt or Alliance. So annoying, so I choose Wanted/Adv. Wanted from Ranked/Player match and it goes like this:

5/6...........6/6................................................................7/7..................................................................6/6...................................................................................5/6.....6/6..7/7............................................................................................................................................................................................................................. ∞

GAHHHH!!! I seriously spent around 40 minutes one night trying to get a wanted match. Gave up.

no angel

Beat this last night, for all their flaws these have become some of my favourite games this generation but I'll be damned if I can tell you why. I can totally understand the hate or apathy of others but for me all the little pieces like the open world structure and the free running come together to make something that's much more than the sum if its parts.

The Romulus armor was ugly but the dagger more then made up for it, did I imagine it or did it have different assassinations than the other daggers? I ran through the mission in which you
Kill cesare
and tore every single guard I came across to pieces with it, felt awesome! Really looking forward to the third now to see where the story goes, I guess this series is my guilty pleasure!

Darknessbear said:
Ugh MP when you start nearing lvl 50 is broken (for me at least) EVERY time I select Play Now, I get either Manhunt or Alliance. So annoying, so I choose Wanted/Adv. Wanted from Ranked/Player match and it goes like this:

5/6...........6/6................................................................7/7..................................................................6/6...................................................................................5/6.....6/6..7/7............................................................................................................................................................................................................................. ∞

GAHHHH!!! I seriously spent around 40 minutes one night trying to get a wanted match. Gave up.

Yeah it was like this earlier, fucking annoying. Mp is alot of fun apart from when Im getting assraped by people with Morph or that bastard templar vision.

Had it where I was in a group of 3 of my type with me disguised and the guy who never saw me change walks up and bam kills me!

How close am I to being finished with the main story? I absolutely hate this game and if there's another 3-4 hours left, I'm trading it in. My patience with it is gone.

I'm at the section where Desmon needs to find the egg and everyone has just gone down this elevator that takes them to the futuristic egg temple area where you've gotta climb the pillars, pull the swing switches, etc.

Top Bottom