• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Ra\/en

I just finished it last week.

- Amazing game. One of the best of last year. The attention to detail in the historical locations was very very cool.

- Game was way too easy. I wish it was about 2-3x harder. 15 potions? super awesome skills to impale helpless enemies? Enemies needed to hit harder, faster and more aggressively.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
John said:
Is anyone else on PS3 having massive framerate, screen tearing, and freezing problems? This is barely playable.

Playing on a Slim, and all i see out of that list is tearing. Its not game breaking, but its definitely there and it can be distracting if you focus on it. No freezes, or framerate issues yet that I've seen.

spidye

John said:
Is anyone else on PS3 having massive framerate, screen tearing, and freezing problems? This is barely playable.
there are screen tearing and framerate problems. the latter especially in
venice
but I didn't have one freezing issue.

spidye said:
there are screen tearing and framerate problems. the latter especially in
venice
but I didn't have one freezing issues.

I only saw the occasional framerate dip. I didn't really notice the tearing.

Also, got the platinum trophy (which was easier than I thought it would be)

devildog820 said:
I only saw the occasional framerate dip. I didn't really notice the tearing.

Also, got the platinum trophy (which was easier than I thought it would be)

Platinum was very easy, great game tho, I will definetly pick up the DLC when it comes out.

John said:

There is framerate dips and screen tearing and throughout my entire playthrough it froze on me 2 times I guess I was lucky

Crewnh said:
It's still pretty noticeable with the inclusion of Caterina S'Forza and Machiavelli who have no actual role in the main game.

Though there's no proof that this content was already finished and taken out to sell later, I highly doubt Ubisoft hired all of the voice actors all over again just for this content.

I don't know if you have any knowledge of videogame production (Don't worry, I'm not trying to be arrogant, even if it looks like it), but the voices may have been recorded as with all the rest of the game.

Like I said before, maybe they didn't have time to make these 'memories' segments work. It's not because you have Art, Voices, Sounds and design documents that it might work. You need to implement them into the game (Level Design Scripting, Programming, etc.) and make it work without any problems. And with a huge open-world like AC, that may take a lot of time. So, imagine that they had all the ingredients (Art, Voices, etc.), but didn't have time to make it all work together and to polish it. You wait until the product is certified gold, then you complete the unfinished scenarios with all the ressources you had for the main game that are now available.

That's the most believable scenario, but even if they took out those parts, I had a fuckin' blast with AC2 and for 60$, I felt the experience was 'complete' at 20 hours and I was filled and wanted to move on to other things. Now, with 4$ that may bring a couple of extra hours of gameplay and content, I find it a pretty good deal.

Evlar

Banned
John said:
Completed the main quest on a NA 60GB.

Framerate: Don't know how frequent, it certainly wasn't "massive". I saw no problematic slowdown.
Screen tearing: Yes, but again not "massive". It happens in all areas of the game, but not perpetually and not (in my opinion) to the point of distraction. I've noticed, however, that my sensitivity to this problem is a lot lower than some other's on this board.
Freezing: Never.
Barely playable: See my first sentence.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finished the game at 100% (and a Platinum trophy) on my NA 60GB PS3 (updated to 320GB a year ago). It froze on me once. Frame rate was inconsistent, but not hugely variable. Screen tearing was fairly minimal. Bayonetta on the 360, for example, has SIGNIFICANTLY worse in that respect.

All in all, I had no significant performance issues with the game.

Playing through it right now (40GB EU), currently around 1/2 of the game, had no freezes at all. My sister completed the game already and didn't have a single freeze, either.

Framerate is variable, but it's not even nearly unplayable and the tearing isn't really that awful, although it can distract sometimes.

jett

D-Member
John said:

If you're coming off from a smooth game like Uncharted 2...yeah AC2's performance is gonna seem awful in comparison. But you'll get used to it. At least the framerate is stable when you're in-doors. :p

Sascha23

Banned
John said:

Nope. Ran like a charm.

Also, your avatar makes me happy. I still haven't finished Machinarium.

conman

John said:
As you can tell from the other responses, it depends on who you are. Personally I found the PS3 version unbearable with its unstable framerate and nearly constant screen tearing. I sold it and got the 360 version instead. Big difference.

But like anything, I'm sure you'd get used to it. Especially if you don't have an alternative.

tim1138

John said:

Completed it on a BC 80gig and I didn't notice any framerate issues (but I don't really have an eye for that type of thing. There was some tearing when syncing the viewpoints but nothing major. It did lock up once, but considering my 360 refuses to even load and play my copy of AC1, that was just a minor nuisance.

SketchTheArtist said:
I don't know if you have any knowledge of videogame production (Don't worry, I'm not trying to be arrogant, even if it looks like it), but the voices may have been recorded as with all the rest of the game.

Like I said before, maybe they didn't have time to make these 'memories' segments work. It's not because you have Art, Voices, Sounds and design documents that it might work. You need to implement them into the game (Level Design Scripting, Programming, etc.) and make it work without any problems. And with a huge open-world like AC, that may take a lot of time. So, imagine that they had all the ingredients (Art, Voices, etc.), but didn't have time to make it all work together and to polish it. You wait until the product is certified gold, then you complete the unfinished scenarios with all the ressources you had for the main game that are now available.

That's the most believable scenario, but even if they took out those parts, I had a fuckin' blast with AC2 and for 60$, I felt the experience was 'complete' at 20 hours and I was filled and wanted to move on to other things. Now, with 4$ that may bring a couple of extra hours of gameplay and content, I find it a pretty good deal.
Maybe for you. We don't know the whole story, and we'll never know, which sucks. I'm a cynic at heart, so it's hard for me to just go a long with it when there's been a precedent for this practice this gen.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2 a whole lot too but Ubisoft's method with this DLC feels incredibly transparent.

Anyway to change the subject,

The PC version is going to retail for $59.99 and will come with both chapters.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232649

Interesting, there will be a "Black" version that's $5 more but they're not saying what the extra stuff is.

And I guess the grand $60 MW2 experiment is catching on...

Vortex566

Playing the game and I think I might be around half way into it? I have to say it is so much better then the first so much variation compared to the first one.

I have noticed massive screen tearing and frame rate issues on a PS3 Slim 250GB. The game has not froze on me yet.

I would like to see the third game add some sort of cover mechanic. I love the Assassin Tomb sections but really feel like they could do with a cover mechanic. I will also never get bored of watching the disarm animations.

Vortex566 said:
I would like to see the third game add some sort of cover mechanic. I love the Assassin Tomb sections but really feel like they could do with a cover mechanic. I will also never get bored of watching the disarm animations.
You mean besides the haystacks and benches?

Cover in modern games is just a method for protecting yourself from gunfire and shooting back from a distance. I'm not sure that applies to AC.

Just got to the chapter where they hold the carnivale. I've been going around on a killing spree now, taking out all the guards and stuff with reckless abandon.

"Enjoyed pushing me around in the street, did you??" muahahaha.

then the game froze.

faceless007 said:
You mean besides the haystacks and benches?

Cover in modern games is just a method for protecting yourself from gunfire and shooting back from a distance. I'm not sure that applies to AC.

He probably means being able to crouch hide behind objects, or against walls, and peek over, MGS styles. Just standing behind a wall works, but it doesn't look nearly as cool.

John

jett said:
If you're coming off from a smooth game like Uncharted 2...yeah AC2's performance is gonna seem awful in comparison. But you'll get used to it. At least the framerate is stable when you're in-doors. :p

I'm coming off of Ratchet: Crack in Time and lots of older PC games maxed out. So yeah, I guess.

Sascha23 said:
Also, your avatar makes me happy. I still haven't finished Machinarium.
Me neither. CCleaner deleted my save. :(

Looks like the technical hiccups are random. I made it eight+ hours in, but after the game froze in the middle of a mission after a really sweet series of stealth kills I returned it. Elegance is this series' greatest asset, so it's no fun without. Will get on PC this Christmas. Do PS3's degrade or something? I've got an NA 80GB (MGS4). Is there something I can do about it?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm just now getting around to playing ACII. Some random thoughts:

+ Goddamn this game is great at making the player feel like a badass. Leaping off of a roof to stab two codex guarding dudes in the head. Third runs away. I disarm fourth and bludgeon him to death with his own mace. :lol Calmly walk in, grab the codex, walk out and scamper onto the rooftops to go about my day. :lol

- The game does a poor job of making me feel like an assassin, however. The second game improves on the first in almost every way, but this is one thing I think AC1 did better. You actually had to plan your assassinations out. In AC2, I run in, stab the dude, run out. I grok that Ubi is walking a fine line, because if they made it too tough to escape from guards it wouldn't be fun. But with AC2 there is just little need to 1) use stealth, or to 2) plan anything. Those are like the two defining characteristics of assassins.

+ The historical setting is GREAT, and is handled with maturity, for the most part. Makes me wish more games had historical settings treated realistically. I know ACII isn't "realistic" exactly. But it is compared to, say, Genji. It treats its subject matter with respect. Makes me want AC games in soooo many other settings. Colonial America, China, etc.

- WTF no Rome?!? How in the WORLD can the game leave out Rome?!?
Yes I know it shows up at the end but that doesn't count
. Hopefully it's coming as a full-featured city as part of some bigger DLC release this summer or something.

+ Villa-building is fairly shallow but I like it.

So, after I finished the game I decided to go for the full gamerscore and started to collect flags. I already had some and I used a guide. There were some I couldn't find but that was probably because I already had them. All except one. Now I got 99/100 flags for the last two achievements. FUCK.

crispyben

Prophet Steve said:
So, after I finished the game I decided to go for the full gamerscore and started to collect flags. I already had some and I used a guide. There were some I couldn't find but that was probably because I already had them. All except one. Now I got 99/100 flags for the last two achievements. FUCK.
Do you mean feathers, or you talking about AC1?

undu

Prophet Steve said:
In the pause menu go into ADN, go to the feathers section and check where's the missing feather.

EDIT: Don't you mean feathers instead of flags?

Sai

So, when is the Battle of Forli hitting this week? Depending on when I finish up with Mass Effect, I may finish up on AC2's first DLC before I move on to ME2.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Trying to get the 'intercept courier' trophy....Is there one particular area where its easier to find one of these couriers than others? The only dude i see running around is the thief that you can take out for all the money....

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Trying to get the 'intercept courier' trophy....Is there one particular area where its easier to find one of these couriers than others? The only dude i see running around is the thief that you can take out for all the money....

It's totally, and completely random. He appears more often in bigger cities. Sometimes I've run into him twice in a row! You know he's around when he suddenly gets your attention by shouting "Leave me aloooone! Murdererrrr!!!"

The thief will have an icon on the map, but the courier will not. He will however, have a white arrow marker above his head, and he wears a purple cape.

Don't kill him though! You have to tackle him, or grab him.

lol moment - one time I chased him over a bridge, he decided to jump on the railing for some reason. When I jumped up I accidentally bumped him off and fell to his icy cold death into the river below, screaming. "aaaaaagh!". Oops. I sat there for a few seconds, completely at a loss. :p

Struct09

I really enjoyed tackling the random couriers, and liked how the game rewarded you for doing so. Most of the time I didn't even have to go out of my way to tackle them.

edgefusion

Struct09 said:
I really enjoyed tackling the random couriers, and liked how the game rewarded you for doing so. Most of the time I didn't even have to go out of my way to tackle them.

The couriers appeal to my OCD nature in the most almightily distracting way, it's like throwing a coin in front of a magpie. Must get courier!.... okay now what was I doing?

John said:

framerate is what you would expect from an open-world game, so it's not perfect but not distracting either in my experience. feels the same (or maybe smoother) as Fallout 3, GTAIV etc.

screentearing is noticeable, but in my opinion not as bad as people made it out to be. there are times when im panning an entire city from some high tower, and not one torn frame. so it's not that bad.

freezing is non-existant for me. in 30 hours it froze once.

Minamu said:
No new trophies for the DLC :lol

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/01/26/no-trophies-in-the-battle-of-forli/

If really true, -1 sale Ubisoft. I wasn't really preparing to buy any DLC this late after the inital release but this is just silly & only seals the deal, so to speak. Sorry!

Very odd choice, it is without doubt going to cost them some sales, it makes me personally worry as it makes it look like the pack must be so short it wasn't worth trophies, hence not worth my cash?

Minamu

burgerdog said:
No trophies no sale? :lol :lol :lol Microsoft, what have you done.
I get the feeling that the bang for the buck ratio is really, really low on this particular DLC, that's why. Sure, it's Microsoft's fault, but that's the reality I live in. I don't like it either :)

kyo_daikun knows the score.

burgerdog

Minamu said:
I get the feeling that the bang for the buck ratio is really, really low on this particular DLC, that's why. Sure, it's Microsoft's fault, but that's the reality I live in. I don't like it either :)

kyo_daikun knows the score.

Isn't it only $5? It's probably about 45mins-1hour long. I loved the game so I'll still get it. Don't get me wrong, more achievements/trophies would be cool, of course, but it won't deter me from picking up the DLC.

burgerdog said:
Isn't it only $5? It's probably about 45mins-1hour long. I loved the game so I'll still get it. Don't get me wrong, more achievements/trophies would be cool, of course, but it won't deter me from picking up the DLC.

Both the dragon age dlc's were under an hour and had trophies.

Don't think they have stated a price yet but if its $8 or more then I worry that it was just a rush job they wanted to get out there.

Struct09

I kind of expected new achievements with the DLC, but am not really sad that there are none. Got my 1000 already, and am ready to just enjoy some new content.

I just opened this tuesday morning after having it since the day it came out. I never played the first one, it's great so far. I like how the stealth isn't emphasized too much. Getting a bit annoying going back to Florence though.
a LOT better than I thought it would be though

Jakeh111

Found the game to be too long, needed to cut some of the story, also even tho the game takes place over 10 years I dont feel like I have aged or my setting has. Loved the cities and my god Venice is huge! Also had some issues with the game just not starting (on ps3), gfx wise I did notice a few times when frames would drop but nothing that made it unplayable.

Did anyone notice the lack of sound effects in in game cut scenes? I noticed that when bodies hit the floor you wouldn't hear them, wouldn't hear footsteps, clapping, picking up weapons. If it was a sound they had to create for the cut scene it seemed not to even be in. Really was noticeable to me and kinda took me out of the scene.

Docpan

I have about 5 or 6 pieces left of
The truth
to unlock, and by this point the puzzles are getting fairly ridiculous.

I have already completed the main game, and am considering stopping here and just moving on.

Without spoiling anything, do I get an extended ending
sequence or something actually worthwhile for completing this? My patience is running thin.

Karud

akilshohen said:
When I get back to Florence, there are guards wanting to kill me, or popping up as red dots on my map.

Do you wear a certain cape, which turns the guards hostile or something. The whole cape thing is a little annoying...

Top Bottom