• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Darkman M

Just beat the game and the whole ride was surprisingly awesome. I shrugged this game off because Asscred 1 was pretty average to me, but they truly came through here. Im craving some Dlc already.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Beat the story and got my platinum. The ending was so easy, I just
put on my metal gloves and mashed square to punch out the Pope, both times. It was satisfying, but I really wish he would have killed him. I wanted to kill that guy from the first second they showed him. Plus adding on all the times he got away after I beat his ass so bad, it really does kinda piss me off that he got away, even if he does go off in disappointment. Plus it doesn't really make much sense since he is the Pope. What does Ezio do about that? I'm not sure what to think of the setup for the 3rd game. I mean, on the one hand a modern setting seems too much like Uncharted, and on the other hand I don't really like Desmond. It's alright to have Kriste-I mean... Lucy... around.

Just got my first Plat, for some reason I was having a hard time with the sweep trophy, I was just having a hard time setting up the soldiers for a nice sweep, feathers were a bit of a grind but not bad, great game overall and I think I played enough of it, next game will probably be White Knight Chronicles.

finished the game last night. amazing game.
i do hope that mission selection gets available at some point...

didn't bother going for the feathers.. fuck off...

looking forward to part 3.

Yeah, I just got done with the game as well. The game peaked with Carnivale and the Flying Machine and sort of fizzled out towards the end. Ending was of course madness from everything set up:
So the 'Gods' lived on the Sun? Or was it another planet in the solar system that got completely destroyed? And if so I don't really understand why they'd remake humans. The Truth and stuff hinted at was great leading up to it, but the actual reveal seemed a bit weak ass honestly, like a sub-par Stargate rip-off

As for a sequel, I'd like to see ether something in China (Japans been done in a fair few games, so I don't think they'd go for that) or perhaps Victorian London (London Underground, links to Egypt, Jack the Ripper). They seriously need to massively overhaul the combat engine as its just bad.

It's interesting. I know that the little save icon shows up every time you do something (like open a chest). But the inability to actually manually save and quit always keeps me playing until the next story checkpoint (which of course, keeps me interested and actually playing the next story event).

Well done. This game is truly awesome. It makes AC1 look like a tech demo.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
SecretBonusPoint said:
So the 'Gods' lived on the Sun? Or was it another planet in the solar system that got completely destroyed? And if so I don't really understand why they'd remake humans. The Truth and stuff hinted at was great leading up to it, but the actual reveal seemed a bit weak ass honestly, like a sub-par Stargate rip-off

It is my understanding that
Those That Came Before lived on Earth and were simply an earlier and (much) more advanced civilization, that essentially created humanity in their own image. TTCB died out due to a cataclysm that affected the Earth. It is heavily implied that Earth is due for another one, and her message to Desmond (through Ezio) is one of warning. Desmond needs to find a way to set the Assassins vs. Templar conflict (which apparently has been going on, in some fashion, since the time of TTCB) aside and focus on the real threat. TTCB are not aliens.

Struct09

AndyD said:
Just got this game.

Anything i should know going into it my first time through?

Don't forget to kick a guard when you're in the flying machine.

Play in Italian (with English subtitles) for the best immersion.

NeoUltima

Dice said:
Beat the story and got my platinum. The ending was so easy, I just
put on my metal gloves and mashed square to punch out the Pope, both times. It was satisfying, but I really wish he would have killed him. I wanted to kill that guy from the first second they showed him. Plus adding on all the times he got away after I beat his ass so bad, it really does kinda piss me off that he got away, even if he does go off in disappointment. Plus it doesn't really make much sense since he is the Pope. What does Ezio do about that? I'm not sure what to think of the setup for the 3rd game. I mean, on the one hand a modern setting seems too much like Uncharted, and on the other hand I don't really like Desmond. It's alright to have Kriste-I mean... Lucy... around.
Well I don't think they wanted
to mess with history. If it's any consolidation, the Pope dies just a few years later. Supposedly poisoned.

Mejilan said:
It is my understanding that
Those That Came Before lived on Earth and were simply an earlier and (much) more advanced civilization, that essentially created humanity in their own image. TTCB died out due to a cataclysm that affected the Earth. It is heavily implied that Earth is due for another one, and her message to Desmond (through Ezio) is one of warning. Desmond needs to find a way to set the Assassins vs. Templar conflict (which apparently has been going on, in some fashion, since the time of TTCB) aside and focus on the real threat. TTCB are not aliens.
Same way I interpreted it as well.

News Bot

Banned
I'll just leave this here. Incredibly unexpected, yet incredibly amazing glitch. Apologies for the fucked up lines, my Intensity Pro went weird.

3499itz.jpg

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
First off, amazing experience this game, my GOTY for 2009. I hadn't played the first one, so I decided to go back and see what it's all about.

Just completed my second assassination, and I can definitely start to feel the repetitive nature of the game. But it's interesting in that I like what AC1 does in terms of setting up the actual main assassinations a bit better than AC2. At least for the first one, they really enable you to get immersed in the moment through some clever camera techniques, and showcase what that particular target is all about.

If anything, i don't mind playing the Desmond parts as much as I thought I would. After knowing where the fiction is going from the second one, I get a kick out of reading the emails and seeing what clues might allude to what happens in the second one.

Also, after contemplating with a co-worker: setting for the next game: Colonial America.

I completed this and got all trophys in around 3 days, was a big improvement over the first one, though for the ps3 version there was quite a bit of frame drops and screen tear, beautiful locations lots of weapons and interesting puzzles I didn't really get the ending
but was quite funny with Ezio being confused over who the hell Desmond was
can't wait for number 3!

UnblessedSoul said:
I completed this and got all trophys in around 3 days, was a big improvement over the first one, though for the ps3 version there was quite a bit of frame drops and screen tear, beautiful locations lots of weapons and interesting puzzles I didn't really get the ending
but was quite funny with Ezio being confused over who the hell Desmond was can't wait for number 3!

Junior member, you should spoiler that shit. Not everyone reading this thread has finished the game (like myself, for example).

Struct09 said:
Don't forget to kick a guard when you're in the flying machine.

Play in Italian (with English subtitles) for the best immersion.

DAMN! I should have done that! Now I'm half-way through the game, and it's just gonna sound all weird and unfamiliar if I switch their voices. :(

Another thing to add - save all your money, forget about upgrading your equipment, and pour it all into the villa until you max out. It makes the game *slightly* harder at first, but the payout definitely is crazy worth it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
... General question about the game: why is it that it seems that I have to keep "syncing" the same eagle points even though I already did? I swear when I first started the game I synced a few eagle points in the first town that I was in, then a few story scenes happened and I looked back on my map and there were eagle viewpoints on the map that I swore I already synced.

Does the game make you go back and resync after certain events or what's the deal with that?

Mejilan

Adam Prime said:
... General question about the game: why is it that it seems that I have to keep "syncing" the same eagle points even though I already did? I swear when I first started the game I synced a few eagle points in the first town that I was in, then a few story scenes happened and I looked back on my map and there were eagle viewpoints on the map that I swore I already synced.

Does the game make you go back and resync after certain events or what's the deal with that?

This glitch happened to me a few times in AC Bloodlines for the PSP, but I've never had it happen to me in the PS3 game. And I got all 66 viewpoints.

Mejilan

Beats the highway robbery that was the PooP Epilogue...
Can't wait!

And what's up with the preorder DLC tombs? I'm still missing the Best Buy one!

spidye

guys I have a question. I have the american version of assassin's creed 2 and I want to play the dlc missions but I live in europe and my american psn has a fake adress. So I can't register my crdit card in the american psn account. how can I get the dlc? is there a way or am I screwed?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
spidye said:
guys I have a question. I have the american version of assassin's creed 2 and I want to play the dlc missions but I live in europe and my american psn has a fake adress. So I can't register my crdit card in the american psn account. how can I get the dlc? is there a way or am I screwed?

Use Entropay to set up a virtual Visa CC. It's what I use with my US PSN account. Works fine.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Mejilan said:
This glitch happened to me a few times in AC Bloodlines for the PSP, but I've never had it happen to me in the PS3 game. And I got all 66 viewpoints.

Does it matter, is there a trophy associated with getting all the viewpoints?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I wonder if this is in preparation for the DLC, maybe new Uplay features? Possibility to unlock the retailer-exclusive maps via Uplay points, perhaps? Who knows:

Uplay will be down for maintenance on Jan 26 between 9am and 12am (EST) - 2pm and 4pm (GMT)

After playing this game and taking my time to complete it, I really had a blast. It had a great blend of platforming and puzzle solving, with an interesting story backdrop. Its a great time to be gaming these days.
Now if I could only stop saying "Salute Claudia" about 20 times a day I'd be set.

Mad_Ban

After finally platinum'ing this bad boy I definitely feel that it has improved leaps and bounds on the first game (NO MORE BLOODY BEGGARD!! :mad: ). One of my pet peeves, which is very minor, is that nobody seemed to age in the span of 20-30 years that the game took place. Claudia and Maria became un-aging hermits whilst Ezio finally developed facial hair in his mid thirties. Also, the unnecessarily long animation for accessing the "pimp my villa" mini-game/speaking to Claudia regarding the books did my head in near the end. :p

After seeing the
ending sequence and solving all the glyphs (who's good and who's evil?!)
I definitely can't wait till AC3, whenever it may be.

EDIT: Also, how do you access the DLC from the White Edition? I remember redeeming the code, but I can't for the life of me find out how to access it. :lol

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Got my first platinum! Finally, had to use a map for the final 40 feathers which was kinda of a pain in the ass.

Great game! Nice that the DLC will get here next week!

Socreges

Banned
Anyone know why the camera keeps fucking up on me? ie, it keeps moving lower and closer to Ezio even when I'm not pressing the right trigger. I never had any problems before. I'm using a different controller, so that could be it. Does this sound at all familiar to anyone?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Found a Brick and Mortar selling the Black Edition, sooooo tempted.

daycru

Socreges said:
Anyone know why the camera keeps fucking up on me? ie, it keeps moving lower and closer to Ezio even when I'm not pressing the right trigger. I never had any problems before. I'm using a different controller, so that could be it. Does this sound at all familiar to anyone?
Busted right analog stick, the controller that came with my 360 does the same thing.

Sheppard

So. After using msxbox website to the feathers I am still missing 6 freaking got damn feathers in the game. Does anyone know of feathers that are frequently missed?

Dogenzaka

Banned
I enjoyed the game at first, but the DLC AC2 is releasing really pissed me off and I don't really want anything to do with this game anymore :p

They deliberately cut out 2 crucial memory sequences of the retail game, and advertised time with Machiavelli and Caterina Sforza, to turn it into DLC they want us to pay for to have the complete game.

While the game was fun, I found the pacing to be absolutely ridiculous once you hit Venice. Suddenly, Da Vinci doesn't begin to matter anymore (nor the only invention he made that really altered the gameplay, the flying machine, which was only used ONCE) another decade passes without you even getting to do anything, and then you're warped to the end boss.

They better do much better with the plot and pacing in AC3.

I liked this game, and it had a cool story. However i don't wanna spend another game in this setting.

And the series really needs to start focusing more on the word in the title "Assassin", because i didn't feel like an assassin in AC2 as much as i felt like a comic book hero.

Darkman M

Dogenzaka said:
I enjoyed the game at first, but the DLC AC2 is releasing really pissed me off and I don't really want anything to do with this game anymore :p

They deliberately cut out 2 crucial memory sequences of the game, and advertised time with Machiavelli and Caterina Sforza, to turn it into DLC they want us to pay for to have the complete game.

While the game was fun, I found the pacing to be absolutely ridiculous once you hit Venice. Suddenly, Da Vinci doesn't begin to matter anymore (nor the only invention he made that really altered the gameplay, the flying machine, which was only used ONCE) another decade passes without you even getting to do anything, and then you're warped to the end boss.

They better do much better with the plot and pacing in AC3.

This was the only thing about the game that irked me, it's flat out ridiculous when you think about it. Probably worst then EA selling codes really.

edgefusion

Dogenzaka said:
They deliberately cut out 2 crucial memory sequences of the retail game.

I would hardly call them crucial, interesting maybe but not crucial. They even say in the game they decided to skip them because they're not relevant.

Feorax

Finished this up yesterday. Loved it, loads better than the first.

A word of advice to anyone playing through now though, make sure you attempt to get at least some of the collectibles as you go through. I didn't as I was just hammering though the story, and I ended up regretting it.

I had like the bare minimum number of codex pages, and when it told me I had to go back and get them all, I just thought "fuck this..." and left the game for about a month. It didnt take me as long as I thought it would to finish in the end, but it really shits on the flow of the story to have it grind to a halt just as the tale reaches its climax.

Top Bottom