• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Jeels said:
Just started, two hours in and it just feels like the first game. Not necessarily bad, I'm just starting to get bored already. Hope things get better.

Same here. Couple hours in I wasn't really hooked. The "Desmond Miles" side of the story gets REALLY interesting and bat shit insane. Seriously the hairs on my arms would stand up during certain sequences... it was just creepy as fuck. The actual "Ezio" side of the story never really gets too compelling. It's just him murdering dudes in cool ways. The very end is awesome when they link together Desmond's and Ezio's story... but the "Present Day" story was pretty damn original and cool and is well worth it to stick with the game and keep paying.

Finally finished feather gathering, glyph decoding, and got that Platinum Trophy tonight. Woohoo! Took me 22 hours on the money. I feel like that's the kind of time investment that I want out of my video games, something under 24 hours and a Platinum Trophy makes me feel like I got more than my money's worth.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
faceless007 said:
For enemies in the later areas, disarming doesn't work right off the bat; they'll rebuff the attempt. Attacking them and reducing their "health" or whatever the little diamonds represent will make them more susceptible to disarms.

I'm towards the end now and I believe you're mistaken. I have been able to disarm large armored enemies with full health. The timing is certainly less forgiving, but you can still do it.

eznark

Banned
Playing the game on the PS3...is the game broken?

I'm in the Interlude dream sequence and I cannot for the life of me get onto a post that I know I need to grab. There are no other options that get me to the top of this damn tower, but for some reason it's impossible. I've already jumped up the fucking wall a couple dozen times and killed myself twice trying to get there. Is it just a bug or something?

eznark said:

I'm in the Interlude dream sequence and I cannot for the life of me get onto a post that I know I need to grab. There are no other options that get me to the top of this damn tower, but for some reason it's impossible. I've already jumped up the fucking wall a couple dozen times and killed myself twice trying to get there. Is it just a bug or something?

YouTube. Tons of video walkthroughs are up for this game.

eznark said:
:lol

First one I found the guy dies at the same spot I am at then the video picks up after that sequence.

Awesome.

Haha. Shit. I don't remember exactly how I got through that part. Sorry man. One of those vids has to show it :lol

I had to resort to YouTube a few times in Tomb Raider Underworld - some ridiculously stupid environmental puzzles in that one, but still highly recommended. By far the best of the recent TR games.

Fakto

LTTP to Assasins Creed II, just finished the game today after 2 weeks. Fun, great setting, but didn't click with me.

eznark

Banned
I was really not a fan of the game until about two sequences ago and now this is two minutes away from making me stop playing. The mycheats guide says it's "tricky" but using their advice is getting me nowhere. This automated climbing system is really fucking shit when your dude refuses to put his arms up at a random spot.

ferocious button mashing gets it done!

Filldough

eznark said:

You have to wallrun next to the post and then jump towards it, the move is never really shown anywhere in the game and as far as I remember its the only time you ever really need it. I died there several times too before I accidentally pulled off the wallrun jump move. Hope that helps you out :)

levious

Wall run straight then jump left/right? Wasn't there a tomb that required that move?

levious said:
Wall run straight then jump left/right? Wasn't there a tomb that required that move?

Yes there was but not everyone does the tombs, idk why they are amazing imo.

Also not sure if that tomb is before/after that part..

Struct09

I was a little confused by that part too. Luckily I accidentally grabbed the ledge I was supposed to.

They must not have play-tested that part very well :p

th3dude

Struct09 said:
I was a little confused by that part too. Luckily I accidentally grabbed the ledge I was supposed to.

They must not have play-tested that part very well :p

I got pretty frustrated there. Kept trying different things. Didn't look it up though, was trying to avoid using any guides.

th3dude

cjelly said:
Wow, that is terrible.

They must have had a million people playthrough this game before release, and not a single person highlighted that section as needing simplifying?

Yea. At least the way I'm playing so far, I haven't encountered an area where I've had to use this technique, so I had NO idea what I was doing.

Tomasooie

cjelly said:
Wow, that is terrible.

They must have had a million people playthrough this game before release, and not a single person highlighted that section as needing simplifying?
Because that section didn't need simplifying. The game is already simplified enough, nearly everything is done for you automatically... If you just jump straight up under the pole, you'll grab it. Simple enough. I don't understand why nobody tried that. You can also wallrun and jump left/right, as already mentioned a few posts back. Maybe they should have mentioned that technique earlier.

th3dude

Tomasooie said:
Because that section didn't need simplifying. The game is already simplified enough, nearly everything is done for you automatically... If you just jump straight up under the pole, you'll grab it. Simple enough. I don't understand why nobody tried that. You can also wallrun and jump left/right, as already mentioned a few posts back. Maybe they should have mentioned that technique earlier.

Not true at all. I tried this for like 15 minutes (PS3) and it simply would not work.

eznark

Banned
Tomasooie said:
No you won't.

The problem with that part in the game is the simplification previously. I went through the game (which is about half of it at that point) by climbing up shit using their retard proof hold x and up. Then out of nowhere they make you do manual acrobatics to reach a beam that is within dunking distance? Terrible, terrible design.

I had every intention of doing the tombs but like I said after about 4 sequences I was already getting burned out on the game so I just want to get the story and move on.

th3dude

eznark said:
No you won't.

The problem with that part in the game is the simplification previously. I went through the game (which is about half of it at that point) by climbing up shit using their retard proof hold x and up. Then out of nowhere they make you do manual acrobatics to reach a beam that is within dunking distance? Terrible, terrible design.

I had every intention of doing the tombs but like I said after about 4 sequences I was already getting burned out on the game so I just want to get the story and move on.
Well put. I feel the same way.

Tomasooie

eznark said:
No you won't.

Yes you will. Watch the video on my last post.

A few of the viewpoints in both games require a tiny bit of thinking and knowledge of advanced techniques to scale. The problem here is that they took one of those viewpoints from the first game and made it mandatory in the second. So people who hadn't figured out the advanced maneuvers were at a disadvantage. I know for a fact that they teach you the wallrun jump in the second game, whereas in the first it wasn't ever mentioned. However, they probably should have taught it as part of the story instead of inside an optional tomb.

Althoran

Never had a problem with that part. But maybe I was just lucky.
I must say the tombs are great but I wasn't about to pay extra for the 3 tombs from the Limited Edition.
Also MS12 sucks but MS13 is great.

levious

DualShadow said:
Yes there was but not everyone does the tombs, idk why they are amazing imo.

Also not sure if that tomb is before/after that part..

ah ok, pretty sure there was a tutorial window pop up thing when you needed to do that in the tomb.

But I don't remember needing to do that there either though, the dream sequence.

Yeah, watching the video again, not sure why you would get stuck there... at least don't blame the game. I think there's three different ways to get to that particular ledge.

sn1pes said:
Not true at all. I tried this for like 15 minutes (PS3) and it simply would not work.

The physics model is bugged. As soon as Altaïr touches the lamp it starts swinging and for some reason will push you away from the small landing zone, making it impossible to grab the post.

It was funny to see it swinging wildly through space, but not the fact that it blocked my passage while doing so.

But then, I already failed the first assignment, before you've even seen the titlescreen. And ubisoft does know that it has a serious QA problem with the referrals in AC2 and Far Cry 2 directly to the help pages online. I get the impression that they thought they could fix the issue by not fixing it.

th3dude

Zeitgeister said:
The physics model is bugged. As soon as Altaïr touches the lamp it starts swinging and for some reason will push you away from the small landing zone, making it impossible to grab the post.

It was funny to see it swinging wildly through space, but not the fact that it blocked my passage while doing so.

But then, I already failed the first assignment, before you've even seen the titlescreen. And ubisoft does know that it has a serious QA problem with the referrals in AC2 and Far Cry 2 directly to the help pages online. I get the impression that they thought they could fix the issue by not fixing it.

Haha, I did notice the lamp f'ing up. Guess I'm not crazy after all.

Bluecondor

I really enjoy this game, and recently made the decision to go for 100% completion (which I have only done one other time in my life with a game).

This meant that I had to commit myself to the chore of finding all 100 feathers. I hate collect-a-thons like this, but am willing to do it this time because I enjoy the game. I'm not even going to pretend like I have the patience or skill to find these on my own. I went straight to Youtube and used the feathers videos.

Sure enough - I got to 99/100 feathers at the end of the videos (cheaters never win, right?). So, I went and looked in the DNA stats, and much to my chagrin, my stats for Venice were 43/44 - i.e. my missing feather was in the absolute worst place possible.

But - after reading a couple of threads on Google, I realized that Ubisoft made situations like this a lot easier. They break down each city by neighborhood, so you can tell exactly where you are missing feathers.

I got my 100th feather, now on to the DLC.

But - if you are missing feathers - PRO TIP - click on the cities in the DNA, as they break down the number of feather you have/number of possible feathers for each neighborhood. :D

Bluecondor said:
But - if you are missing feathers - PRO TIP - click on the cities in the DNA, as they break down the number of feather you have/number of possible feathers for each neighborhood. :D

Yeah, awesome feature. Makes collecting fun & not tedious.

Every game should have a system similar to it from now on.

levious

So what's the glowing grate behind the house in the villa? And it's not always there I think. I had assumed this was the family tomb but now I see that entrance is in another part of the villa.

rataven

Just started this game and am completely hooked. I actually liked ACI but the changes and additions they've made to ACII put this game in a whole other league. Having a hard time putting it down, but I'm going slow so I've only just started sequence 4.

Ezio is so ridiculously likable. Favorite new character this gen.

Im on Sequence 8 now and really love this game, however BFBC2 will take over my life for the forseeable future. AC2 you have been great and I will get back to you at some point, but for now you are on the back burner.

Ricker

Finally got into this ,awesome game...i`m up to Venice now...anyway i`m stuck on one of the puzzles,the whole apple ones...it`s the one called Brothers:

Puzzle #6: Brothers....(spoiler just in case)
-----------------------------------

This puzzle contains 4 spinning circle puzzles, each depicting Cain and
Abel, the sons of Adam and Eve. The first image depicts the burning altar
sacrifice, and the remaining three depict the two struggling. Upon
completion, each shows that they were reaching for the Piece of Eden.

Not seeing something probably obvious here,can`t figure this one out,I spinned the damn thing 200 times now,,,any hints??

Filldough

Ricker said:
Finally got into this ,awesome game...i`m up to Venice now...anyway i`m stuck on one of the puzzles,the whole apple ones...it`s the one called Brothers:

Puzzle #6: Brothers....(spoiler just in case)
-----------------------------------

This puzzle contains 4 spinning circle puzzles, each depicting Cain and
Abel, the sons of Adam and Eve. The first image depicts the burning altar
sacrifice, and the remaining three depict the two struggling. Upon
completion, each shows that they were reaching for the Piece of Eden.

Not seeing something probably obvious here,can`t figure this one out,I spinned the damn thing 200 times now,,,any hints??

You just need to spin each part to line up and complete the image. Its not too hard, you can find solutions to all puzzles here http://www.gamesradar.com/f/assassi...d-statuettes-guide/a-20091120161944695091/p-4

bee

just installed and right in the opening section, fortunately i can just about play in 3D on pc framerate wise, took a few 3D screens and one normal screen of the opening section, max settings , no aa

nothing massively exciting but i'll hopefully get some time to put some real time into it over the weekend, works really nice in 3D once you alter the convergence

ass2z50y.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?gfyon5yjn2q

Guv_Bubbs

Banned
Ok so I just finished the game and I want some answers.
In the truth video they didn't show Adam's face so do we know who he is? Why so secret?
And like what do we know about everything else? I only started this game a week or so ago so I haven't been following this thread. Have I missed anything?

Guv_Bubbs said:
...Some Spoilers...

I havent really got awnsers for you, but spoiler tag your post, it would suck if someone read that without completing the game!

Also you may not know that there are 2 peices of DLC up, people have mixed feelings if theyre worth getting though.

So just received this via Goozex for PS3 and I really am not sure if I am judging it to fast. I am disappointed to say the least. The controls really are not fluid like I would hope.

How far into the game before the rest of the game area opens up? Is the entire game limited to the same type of city/villages or does it open up into a larger and more open area? So far it's feeling like Oblivion with the constant chores/ favors and lack of variety just without the amazing environment. Please tell me it gets better.

fernoca

Guv_Bubbs said:
Ok so I just finished the game and I want some answers.
In the truth video they didn't show Adam's face so do we know who he is? Why so secret?
And like what do we know about everything else? I only started this game a week or so ago so I haven't been following this thread. Have I missed anything?
Well..a few things:
1. Adam's face is not fully shown, but on the few occations he looks back to the camera he seems to resemble Desmond, but with longer hair and a beard...but it kinda contradicts that..

2. ..the voice heard at the end calling Eve, sounds like Desmond's. Adam and Eve seem to be running away from someone, seeing how they both are constantly looking back. Now the clip was obtained from Subject 16 plus it was Subject 16 the one that had links to Ezio, but then Desmond was put with Ezio because he also matched with Subject 16 (as shown in the beginning of the game); maybe Subject 16 was a direct descendant from Adam. After all, another thing is that Desmond is not...well..Desmond's name so in some way that hides part of his past. And the baby that Maria seems to be carrying when Desmond had Altair's dream, seems to imply that Desmond is a descendant from that baby, but that baby has an Assassin father and a Templar mother.

3. When Adam and Eve are climbing, there's a part with like a crystal and some people..working on something that sounds like metal. All this, you can see the figure of someone that resembles Minerva, holding the Apple of Eden...but isn't Eve running away with the apple, as she shows in the end of the clip?

4. Since the first game, they've been talking about figures across history that basically created fake versions of the Pieces of Eden or used pieces that had relation to it, but were not part of it (like the Holy Grail), to get power and control from the masses; like Jesus, Napoleon, and others. If actually Eve was running away with the apple, why "Minerva" had one too?, were they also using fake pieces of Eden to control humanity?

But who knows, what twists III will bring.

LovingSteam said:
So just received this via Goozex for PS3 and I really am not sure if I am judging it to fast. I am disappointed to say the least. The controls really are not fluid like I would hope.

How far into the game before the rest of the game area opens up? Is the entire game limited to the same type of city/villages or does it open up into a larger and more open area? So far it's feeling like Oblivion with the constant chores/ favors and lack of variety just without the amazing environment. Please tell me it gets better.
Depends..where are you in the game, exactly?

Top Bottom