• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Smoke bombs are really the overpowering weapon. Deploy one of those, and you can double-assassinate everyone in seconds.

There are only a few people in the game that won't go down from that.

Minamu said:
Is the DLC out yet? Any better than the previous crap?
Yup.. It's out, downloading now. Not sure if this was announced but there are two different versions, one for 320 points which is just sequence 13. And one for 580 points which is "Sequence 13 & Secret Locations" I think the secret areas are content that was only in the collectors edition before..

burgerdog

Inferno313 said:
Yup.. It's out, downloading now. Not sure if this was announced but there are two different versions, one for 320 points which is just sequence 13. And one for 580 points which is "Sequence 13 & Secret Locations" I think the secret areas are content that was only in the collectors edition before..
Both downloads are the exact same size, too. So I'm thinking that the tombs are included in both versions of the download but only one unlocks access, or they are in the dvd/bluray already and having the dlc unlocking them. Either way, it's shady no matter what. I do have one question, though, does the new dlc include the previous one like they originally said?

Peff

burgerdog said:
Both downloads are the exact same size, too. So I'm thinking that the tombs are included in both versions of the download but only one unlocks access, or they are in the dvd/bluray already and having the dlc unlocking them. Either way, it's shady no matter what. I do have one question, though, does the new dlc include the previous one like they originally said?

They are in the disc, the Secret Location thing is the three pre-order tombs, so they're only unlocked by the more expensive download.

Canti

No trophies for the new DLC ^

Having a lot more fun with it than sequence 12. Sizeable new area in south Florence and some assassinations have actually proven quite difficult. Seems it'll be around twice the length of the previous DLC. Spring-board jumping is kind of comical :lol

Ridley327

Yeah, Bonfire was a LOT better than Forli; nearly every mission is an assassination mission and they mix them up nicely. Also, it's worth it for the animation for the spring boards. :lol

Is it useful or advantageous to have played the first DLC before playing the second? I'm really only interested in the new dungeons so I don't feel like buying Forli, but if it helps understand the story a little more I might.

So just completed the DLC and have to say I enjoyed it while it lasted, but it didnt last long :(

The meat of the DLC is 9 assassination missions, theyre actually really cool and pretty situational so they seem fresh and unique, however beyond these theres not much else, the southern area of Florence is cool but doesnt feel very different from the rest of Florence.

The 3 Dungeons were pretty cool, but again can be played through fairly quicky.

So yeah I would have preferred paying 800 MS points and getting both DLC's together in one package rather than playing slightly more for 2 short DLCs.

Ridley327

faceless007 said:
Is it useful or advantageous to have played the first DLC before playing the second? I'm really only interested in the new dungeons so I don't feel like buying Forli, but if it helps understand the story a little more I might.

They catch you up to speed on what happened in Forli in the beginning of sequence 13, so it's not a prerequisite to have that DLC.

The fact that there are two versions and the differences between them are poorly signposted really annoyed me.

I saw the little advert for the ACII DLC on the dashboard and selected it. It took me to the 320 point version and I bought it, not even knowing the 560 point version existed. I didn't know there would be two versions, there's nothing written in the description of the 320 point version that there's anything missing. What a poor opportunity wasted to upsell me to the 560.

I'm not sure which version I'd have bought if I knew the more expensive one was there. It's just the fact I didn't know that's pissing me off a little. Enjoying AC2 by the way, haven't finished it yet and I already bought the DLC. It's that good.

Memles

I ended up with the Collector's Edition of the game after it was on sale for $30 in a one-day sale in Canada, so I unlocked two of the tombs already: is the only way for me to get the third tomb to pay all three? If so, that's ridiculous.

Glad to hear this DLC is a bit better: waiting for a weekly Live Gold sale before biting on the Episodic DLC.

Nemesis_

Memles said:
I ended up with the Collector's Edition of the game after it was on sale for $30 in a one-day sale in Canada, so I unlocked two of the tombs already: is the only way for me to get the third tomb to pay all three? If so, that's ridiculous.

Glad to hear this DLC is a bit better: waiting for a weekly Live Gold sale before biting on the Episodic DLC.

It's a bit of a strange situation because most of the PAL regions got ALL THREE of the secret locations in their collector's editions, rather than one/two. >_>

TripOpt55

Hmmm... I might get the whole mess of DLC now. I passed on the first one after hearing it wasn't too good, but I might just get it all. I really liked the tombs in the main game. How are these downloadable ones? Worth getting?

I really don't like how they added "random" encounters to lengthen the DLC playtime. Even with no enemies around when you pass a certain point and you get ambushed.

Dogenzaka

Banned
So was Bonfire worth the money? After Forli I figured Ubi just didn't know how to treat DLC...
Unfortunately I traded in my copy of AC2 today (hadn't touched it since November) but I was curious to see what I was missing this week anyway.

Aladuf

Banned
DigitalDevil said:
I'm downloading it now off PSN and it was $6.99 for the DLC and Secret Locations, so....
Shit, when I bought it off of PSN yesterday it was $10 for me too, and now it's $7? I guess it was a pricing error at first. :/

fernoca

Awesome!
Bought Forli and Bonfire...just to find out that the save is nowhere in the Xbox 360 HDD neither in both Memory Units...that I have..

After getting all achievements earlier this year..oh well..great game, so it will be fun..replaying it..though I doubt I'll get all 100 feathers again...:lol

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Bought the latest DLC and man, it was awesome! :D

Full of
assasinations
and
new Area, which is the other side of florence (After the bridge).

Man, the DLC is really good IMO. :D

Sucks you can't replay them. =(

jett

D-Member
-DarKaoZ- said:
Bought the latest DLC and man, it was awesome! :D

Full of
assasinations
and
new Area, which is the other side of florence (After the bridge).

Man thanks for reminding me of this bullshit. That makes my DLC buying choice a lot easier. :p

MrDaravon

See You Next Wednesday said:
How much is that in MS points?

Just started playing this, got it for Christmas but never got around to it and was waiting for the DLC's to come out so I could play it through in one "go." So far enjoying it quite a bit, people look weird in cutscenes though, nobody's face or body looks quite right.

Jb

Edit: beaten
Bought the first DLC but gave up after the 5th wave or so of morronic enemies. Glad to hear this one is more assassination oriented, might pick it up when the flow of good releases dries up.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
No, nothing crucial to the plot happens during either DLC. There's a tiny bit more development of Carolina in Memory Sequence 12, and arguably even LESS development of Machiavelli in Memory Sequence 13. Had they naturally occurred BEFORE Memory Sequence 14 for those of us that beat the game months ago, then perhaps their presence in MS14 would have been a little more believable, but as it is, these DLC Memory Sequences merely flesh out what the game tells you in MS14 in any event. So there's precious little "new" story, if you get what I mean.

That said, as much as MS12 was throw-away piece of shit example of DLC, I've got to say that MS13 was a massive improvement.

It features a TON of assassinations, and many of them are arguably more clever than the game's "core" assassination sequences (which, to me, was always one of the few ways AC2 fails to improve over its predecessor, and in most respects, actually disappoints). This helped diminish that sting a bit.

However, it and the Shipyard secret location (the only one of the three preorder bonuses I was missing) definitely did not merit the $10 I paid last night. I see that the DLC on PSN has been price adjusted to be more in line with the 360 version, so I think I'll email Sony about a $3 credit to my account for their mistake.

MS12, 13, and the secret locations should have just been packaged together for $10. It probably would have been more palatable that way.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Mejilan said:
No, nothing crucial to the plot happens during either DLC. There's a tiny bit more development of Carolina in Memory Sequence 12, and arguably even LESS development of Machiavelli in Memory Sequence 13. Had they naturally occurred BEFORE Memory Sequence 14 for those of us that beat the game months ago, then perhaps their presence in MS14 would have been a little more believable, but as it is, these DLC Memory Sequences merely flesh out what the game tells you in MS14 in any event. So there's precious little "new" story, if you get what I mean.

That said, as much as MS12 was throw-away piece of shit example of DLC, I've got to say that MS13 was a massive improvement.

It features a TON of assassinations, and many of them are arguably more clever than the game's "core" assassination sequences (which, to me, was always one of the few ways AC2 fails to improve over its predecessor, and in most respects, actually disappoints). This helped diminish that sting a bit.

However, it and the Shipyard secret location (the only one of the three preorder bonuses I was missing) definitely did not merit the $10 I paid last night. I see that the DLC on PSN has been price adjusted to be more in line with the 360 version, so I think I'll email Sony about a $3 credit to my account for their mistake.

MS12, 13, and the secret locations should have just been packaged together for $10. It probably would have been more palatable that way.

Ehh...whatever. I feel like they should have come with the game. Ubi promised us in GameInformer back in May 2009 that Caterina Sforza and Machiavelli would have huge roles in the game, and they got a screentime of like 1-3 minutes in the final game. They even said the scene with Caterina lifting up her skirt, showing us her vagina and screaming "I have the instrument to bear more [children]!" would be in-game.

(which, to me, was always one of the few ways AC2 fails to improve over its predecessor, and in most respects, actually disappoints).

I was about to bring this up.
Once the veil of hype lifted from my eyes, I realized just how unimaginative the assassination missions in the game still held up to be after the first game. There wasn't much creativity, especially when water was a usable game factor. I was pretty disappointed.

Mush

Dogenzaka said:
There wasn't much creativity, especially when water was a usable game factor. I was pretty disappointed.
This. The only time I remember using any water was defending Rosa's boat and taking out a ship later on in the game :/

Mejilan

Dogenzaka said:
Ehh...whatever. I feel like they should have come with the game. Ubi promised us in GameInformer back in May 2009 that Caterina Sforza and Machiavelli would have huge roles in the game, and they got a screentime of like 1-3 minutes in the final game. They even said the scene with Caterina lifting up her skirt, showing us her vagina and screaming "I have the instrument to bear more [children]!" would be in-game.

Caterina and Machiavelli's screen time (and for that matter, DaVinci's) all disappointed, even with the DLC. But that line/scene WAS added into the game with the MS12 DLC. In fact, her vitriolic insults throughout much of that sequence were basically the only enjoyable part of it.

I was about to bring this up.
Once the veil of hype lifted from my eyes, I realized just how unimaginative the assassination missions in the game still held up to be after the first game. There wasn't much creativity, especially when water was a usable game factor. I was pretty disappointed.

Cutting through the hype, AC2 still crushes AC1 in almost every possible sense. It develops a proof-of-concept into a truly meaty game experience. And this coming from someone that actually LIKED AC1. AC2 drops the ball with the assassination variety and late game story development/pacing, but it's still a much more robust, much more feature-complete, and ultimately, much more enjoyable game. IMHO, of course.

Edit - Oh, and I'm thrilled to finally have achieved a 100% sync rate. Since I was missing the Shipyards secret location, I could never manage more than a 99.2% rate, this despite having acquired the platinum trophy! But with Memory Sequences 12 and 13 done, and all 3 preorder secret locations accounted for, the game's properly showing a 100% sync rate.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Mejilan said:
Caterina and Machiavelli's screen time (and for that matter, DaVinci's) all disappointed, even with the DLC. But that line/scene WAS added into the game with the MS12 DLC. In fact, her vitriolic insults throughout much of that sequence were basically the only enjoyable part of it.

Cutting through the hype, AC2 still crushes AC1 in almost every possible sense. It develops a proof-of-concept into a truly meaty game experience. And this coming from someone that actually LIKED AC1. AC2 drops the ball with the assassination variety and late game story development/pacing, but it's still a much more robust, much more feature-complete, and ultimately, much more enjoyable game. IMHO, of course.

Edit - Oh, and I'm thrilled to finally have achieved a 100% sync rate. Since I was missing the Shipyards secret location, I could never manage more than a 99.2% rate, this despite having acquired the platinum trophy! But with Memory Sequences 12 and 13 done, and all 3 preorder secret locations accounted for, the game's properly showing a 100% sync rate.

Oh agreed, it definitely stomps all over the first game.

But I still find the plot pacing once you reach Venice to be absolutely deplorable, and most of the general assassination missions to be pretty generic and not very creative for a game with so much stealth potential.

The last few sequences had me in disbelief on the 180-degree turn they took on gameplay and pacing quality.

And suddenly, after the flying machine, DaVinci is a useless character :(

Mejilan

Yep, I agree with all that.
Altair >>> Ezio
AC1 assassinations >>> AC2 assassinations
Lack of AC1 supporting cast > totally half-assed AC2 supporting cast
AC1 story pacing > AC2 story pacing

But for sheer playability, this one beats out AC1 again and again.

Massa

Mejilan said:
Yep, I agree with all that.
Altair >>> Ezio
AC1 assassinations >>> AC2 assassinations
Lack of AC1 supporting cast > totally half-assed AC2 supporting cast
AC1 story pacing > AC2 story pacing

But for sheer playability, this one beats out AC1 again and again.

lolwat.

The only thing Altair had going for him was the badass look. Everything else about him was terrible. Ezio isn't perfect but he's a much better character.

Mejilan

I preferred Altair's fall from grace and growth as a human and assassin and felt that it made for a more elegant character and narrative than Ezio's family tragedy. Also, mostly due to the horrible pacing issues, but also do the generally poor writing, I felt that Ezio basically didn't develop as a character once his family was executed. The speech that he gives at the end of Memory Sequence 13 is the closest he gets to growth/development.

Meanwhile, Altair had more than a few key story moment throughout the game where you got a sense that he was developing. During/after the assassinations, when interacting with his thief guild contacts, when reporting to Al Mualim, etc.

Ezio, by comparison, has almost none of that. The key assassinations are trivial. His mother and sister are useless. His uncle is MIA for 90% of the game. DaVinci's role is relegated strictly to certain brief story encounters, giving little hint at the friendship the game repeatedly tells us is there. Forget Paula, Caterina, El Volpe, and Machiavelli. They're even more insignificant than DaVinci. Ezio has no real superior or rival to interact with. He has no real interaction, period.

It's actually pretty unfortunate, because the foundation was there. Ubisoft just did absolutely nothing with it. I think it's quite clear where they ran out of time during development.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I like Ezio better than Altair, but Ezio had hardly any character development after his family incident. That was a turning point for his personality, and then after that suddenly he's running errands no-questions-asked for every criminal scumbag in Italy. He doesn't show any depth of his character beyond "AS YOU WISH".

Jeels

Just started, two hours in and it just feels like the first game. Not necessarily bad, I'm just starting to get bored already. Hope things get better.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Jeels said:
Just started, two hours in and it just feels like the first game. Not necessarily bad, I'm just starting to get bored already. Hope things get better.

Oh, they do.

But not too long afterwards they get somewhat mediocre again.
And then you get to the ending and you're like WAT

crispyben

After waiting for both DLC so that I could play the full game in order, I finally finished/platinumed it... after 36 hours of playing (90% completion). The ending was "lolwut?" :D Although I'm now curious for the next one in Rome...

I also have a few questions:

- why does it take Ezio 10 years to go from Forli to Florence between Sequences 12 and 13?
- is there a blazing fast QTE prompt after you attempt to kill
Borgia
in the last mission and he repels you? I thought I saw a prompt for R1 or L1 at the bottom of the screen
after you multiply
but could be mistaken

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or did the framrate and tearing get worse in MS13? During his speech at the end it went to shit. I mean come on Ubi,.

Just want to say that I really enjoyed Bonfire of the Vanities. Decent length, lots of great assassinations and a GREAT ending, IMO. I highly recommend it, way better than Battle of Forli, I thought.

Bonfire was pretty great. I think it was worth it for sure. At the very least, the ending of Sequence 13 puts Ezio's actions in Sequence 14 into context.

Still didn't dig Sequence 14 that much though.

Lord Phol

So what's the deal with all the dlcs?
Will there be more of them in the future than the two released? is it worth paying 5 more bucks for the "3 hidden locations"?

And most importantly should one play the game in some specific order counting the dlcs to get the story right?
-DarKaoZ- said:

And WHAT'S THIS?

Mejilan

Like every other standard memory sequence in the game, if you want to replay 'em, you need to start a new file. ACII does not have the feature from ACI (or AC Bloodlines) that allows you to replay memory sequences. The DLC memory sequences function exactly like the regular disc memory sequences, and are not replayable from the same file.

Top Bottom