• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Ridley327

jett said:
edit: it seems to be using a modified Unreal 2.5 engine.

Is it possible that has changed? That article is from 2007, back when Hobo Fisher was still kicking around.

Just got done with sequence 9. The
TELEPORTING BULLET
was really weird, but everything before that was solid gold, especially
having to avoid the guards from discovering you by continually walking into groups of people.
I also did the Templar map at L'Arsenale and had a good time with it, even if I'm not a super big fan of the chase bits.

I figured out the nature of Subject 16's video early on, but I really liked how everything flowed together once it was completed. Even more so, Subject 16's descent into utter madness was really well handled and made solving the puzzles all the more creepy. Good stuff.

jett

D-Member
Ridley327 said:
Is it possible that has changed? That article is from 2007, back when Hobo Fisher was still kicking around.

Ah well I didn't notice that, I just grabbed it from wiki. :p I have no idea.

UrbanRats

finish'd the game.
The ending part sucks, bigtime :lol
first:
Rome, just that bit?
second:
a little plot device is ok, but A HORSE on the WALL?! WTF?! XD
third:
give me my ingame Sistine Chapel, why it was blacked out?! :(
fourth:
A "fistfight" with the pope, hilarious but not that epic...i ...guess?:lol
fifth:
The "ending"... why the doctor come to take you personally?Why nobody have a frickin' GUN?! they really come and get you with some baton?lol.
Also, the plot twist is a bit lame...but whatever.
sixth:
the last fight with Brogia in Venice, when everyone showup?A bit cheesy...in a fanservice way. XD
seventh:
no ending for Ezio? Who cares about Desmond, when there's not even a small final cutscene for Ezio? Cruel.

So yeah, a bit anticlimactic, but Awesome game, overall.

Ridley327

jett said:
Ah well I didn't notice that, I just grabbed it from wiki. :p I have no idea.

The trailers definitely look very AC-esque now, so I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if they moved everything over to Anvil. Still, the UE2.5 engine gets a lot of mileage, especially in games like Bioshock, so maybe Montreal worked their magic yet again...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I always want to kill the bards but I always felt bad after punching one and having him go "What are you doing?! The song's about you!", so now I just toss money.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
This game is great. I moderately enjoyed the first one, and got this one only because the reviews were good. Glad I did, the dev team really improved it in almost every way.

My only complaints:

1. Damn fat guys walking around with boxes in Venice. It's like they purposely get in my expected line of movement, walk into me, and then aggro guards. That's bullshit. Sort of funny, but annoying when I'm in a mission. To get around it, I just throw coins all over the place, then they drop and break their goods and go "oh money! Where did it come from?".

2. Some of the platforming tombs have camera issues. The camera behaves differently (auto-adjusts more), and it changed my movement causing me to fall several times. It was 4 part timed one in a church that was the most noticeable.

UrbanRats

teh_pwn said:
My only complaints:

1. Damn fat guys walking around with boxes in Venice. It's like they purposely get in my expected line of movement, walk into me, and then aggro guards. That's bullshit. Sort of funny, but annoying when I'm in a mission. To get around it, I just throw coins all over the place, then they drop and break their goods and go "oh money! Where did it come from?".
if you simply hold "gentle push" (B or circle)you will avoid that :p

NIGHT-

Been playing the game for over 2 hours and loving it. But some reason the visuals don't look as good as the first game to me. Maybe it's just been to long since I played it.

jett

D-Member
Man the AI in this game is awful, the more I play it the more I notice how seriously it's been toned down from the first game. I killed some beggar right across the street from a group of guards and they didn't give a fuck.

NIGHT- said:
Been playing the game for over 2 hours and loving it. But some reason the visuals don't look as good as the first game to me. Maybe it's just been to long since I played it.

It has a less realistic art design, that's probably it, although it does seem like there's less up close detail if we can call it that.

Saterium

Man collecting everything kinda leads to... well..

Collecting all the treasures...
nothing

Collecting all the codexs...
a neat sound once you complete the obvious picture

Collecting all the statues...
nothing, just some cash

Collecting all the feathers...
a weapon which you can buy better and a cape that makes you kill on sight? really?

At least getting all the hidden symbols and crypts was well worth it. With they would've made everything else worth while though.

Now to finish the game, woo..

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the codex pages are required to finish the game. :)

jett

D-Member
Saterium said:
Man collecting everything kinda leads to... well..

Collecting all the treasures...
nothing

Collecting all the codexs...
a neat sound once you complete the obvious picture

Collecting all the statues...
nothing, just some cash

Collecting all the feathers...
a weapon which you can buy better and a cape that makes you kill on sight? really?

At least getting all the hidden symbols and crypts was well worth it. With they would've made everything else worth while though.

Now to finish the game, woo..

What? Collecting codexes is like collecting pieces of heart in a Zelda game. Every four will net you an increased life bar.

Saterium said:

Crypts were not worth it imo. the armor of altair was effectively the same as the missaglias.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
akachan ningen said:
Crypts were not worth it imo. the armor of altair was effectively the same as the missaglias.
except that the act of playing those crypts were reward in itself, what with them being the most fun sections of game.

Papercuts

akachan ningen said:

It still makes Ezio look pretty awesome, and the crypts themselves were a blast to run through.

jett

D-Member
akachan ningen said:

lolwut

the best thing about the crypts are the crypts themselves. one of the finest parts of the whole game.

Saterium

jett said:
What? Collecting codexes is like collecting pieces of heart in a Zelda game. Every four will net you an increased life bar.

I guess that's true. The thing is, I never noticed when my health bar increased. They give you so many health potions by the end of the game, and countering is so easy that it doesn't really matter.

And I wasn't aware they're required to finish the game.... since I haven't finished the game yet.

I guess it makes sense =P

ZAnimus

jett said:
the best thing about the crypts are the crypts themselves.
Exactly. I don't think we need tangible rewards beyond great gameplay, which the crypts delivered in spades.

That being said, I did find the eventual reward to be really cool and totally worthwhile :)

jett

D-Member
Ugghh I can't stand the framerate issues, the constant screen tearing and the blurry image quality any longer. I've tried to stay positive, but I can't seriously recommend the PS3 version to anybody. I'm sorry if I did. :p If you only have that console, do yourself a favor and wait for the PC release next year. Seeing how smooth the 360 version is the Co-p review truly made me realize how wrong I was.

Is the pop-in as horrible in the 360 version? LOD textures, shadows, grass and people can and will pop in mere feet in front of you.

MCD

jett said:
Ugghh I can't stand the framerate issues, the constant screen tearing and the blurry image quality any longer. I've tried to stay positive, but I can't seriously recommend the PS3 version to anybody. I'm sorry if I did. :p If you only have that console, do yourself a favor and wait for the PC release next year. Seeing how smooth the 360 version is the Co-p review truly made me realize how wrong I was.

Is the pop-in as horrible in the 360 version? LOD textures, shadows, grass and people can and will pop in mere feet in front of you.
pop-in is there even when installed but I only noticed it when I reached that city with the fabulous grass field (pop-in is usually in these big ass fields even in AC1).

though tearing, pop-in and framedrops ain't a big issue as the random fucking freezing.

Papercuts

jett said:

On 360 I see shadows and grass pop in, but nothing else.

jey_16

Banned
just unlocked Altair's armour....looks bad ass except you cant dye it? It would be good to go back to the original white while wearing his armour

i think i wasted too much money on buying the other armour......now i have to wait a bit until i have enough money to buy Altair's sword

jey_16 said:
just unlocked Altair's armour....looks bad ass except you cant dye it? It would be good to go back to the original white while wearing his armour

i think i wasted too much money on buying the other armour......now i have to wait a bit until i have enough money to buy Altair's sword
I once let Ezio wait in chest room while I was watching a movie. :lol

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Started it a couple of days ago and beat it today.

First thing, the ending:
WHAT THE FUCK, indeed. It's funny cause I said the exact same words out loud in the same EXACT manner as ezio before he even said it.
:lol

Loved the game despite some minor flaws. The scale was great, especially Venice. Loved all the hidden gems in there as well as the Truth files and etc...
All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this game and had a blast playing it. That honestly is one of the biggest complements I can give as a gamer. My biggest compliments to Patrice and the AC Team. You guys did one hell of a job!

:bow:

lantus

jey_16 said:

Well, if you're hunting for achievements/trophies, buying practically everything is required.

conman

jett said:

I switched from the PS3 version to the 360 version for the same reason. 360 version isn't perfect, but the screen tearing is only really an issue in the cinematic sequences, and the framerate is pretty rock-solid. There's plenty of pop-in though. Less of a buzzkill than the framerate and screen tearing IMO.

Folks with just a PS3 are just fine though. It's only for ridiculous folks like us that the performance "issues" even matter.

Daeda

akachan ningen said:

I think the Altair armour gets no damage, so its better than the missaglias.

Also
Did anyone notice you kill the pope in 1499, while is official date of death is in 1503?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
jett said:
lolwut

the best thing about the crypts are the crypts themselves. one of the finest parts of the whole game.

Agreed, the crypts are awesome. It's so much fun to have a focussed, semi-linear portion after all that free roaming through the streets. While the main game is more like "get there, have fun doing it", the crypts are more like "you need to get there, you figure out how the hell you're gonna do that" or puzzles for that matter, pretty much how the towerclimbing is a puzzle, even though the towers are fairly simple puzzles.

MMaRsu

jett said:
Man the AI in this game is awful, the more I play it the more I notice how seriously it's been toned down from the first game. I killed some beggar right across the street from a group of guards and they didn't give a fuck.

It has a less realistic art design, that's probably it, although it does seem like there's less up close detail if we can call it that.

This game looks so much better than AC1. There's also a lot more going on. If you're on the rooftops at night in Venice and look down on the water it just looks amazing.

dragonflys545 said:
I find the crypts not worth it as well, kinda boring too in my opinion. Still an awesome game though.

Yeah, I had fun maybe in three of the six crypts. It's pretty frustrating when you know the solution and yet you fall down and have to climb back up and do it again because of the imprecise controls.

neorej said:
Agreed, the crypts are awesome. It's so much fun to have a focussed, semi-linear portion after all that free roaming through the streets. While the main game is more like "get there, have fun doing it", the crypts are more like "you need to get there, you figure out how the hell you're gonna do that" or puzzles for that matter, pretty much how the towerclimbing is a puzzle, even though the towers are fairly simple puzzles.

I agree, figuring it out is fun but actually doing it can be a hassle. That's why the glyph puzzles were more fun, at least for me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
rockman zx said:
It's me or the game clock works in a weird way?. I beat the game in 27 hours but I'm 100% sure that I played +32 hours at least.
yeah, I get the feeling that it's kind of inaccurate.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Unfortunately I wasn't able to complete the game during my rent, would someone mind spoiling the significant parts to the end for me?

Where I was up to:

I was up the part where you're in Florence and you find out 6 more associates (this is after you stalk the enemies after killing the guy in his own building.

It would be greatly appreciated!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you're not even half-way, I wouldn't know where to begin. 0_0

MMaRsu

Rez said:
you're not even half-way, I wouldn't know where to begin. 0_0

I'm in Venice right now, and I just learned
the extra jump from Rosa
Am I halfway now? I have barely done any side missions though, cause I'm saving those ^_^.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
when you first hit Venice, that's about half-way. :)

knitoe said:
Does this game get much better? Just pass killing Vera dude. Just seems all fetch quest and it's variatiions.

It gets better. It's not the amazing game people are making it out to be though. The story is the only really great part.

My 360 started to RRoD a few months back but it would work (without freezes too) perfectly if i shut it on and off a few times. But last friday when I came home psyched to play AC2 on the weekend it was in permanent E74. Its out of warranty (launch unit) but I'm hoping on getting it fixed this weekend from a local shop. Can't wait to get back to the renaissance :)

Top Bottom