• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

KAOz

Short bus special
Heh, found a little gamebreaking bug today while trying to get the No Hitter trophy on the Ps3. I checked it up, and I am not alone.

Basically, when in Venice and gathering ten or more guards to get the trophy, and using the smoke bombs and hidden blade trick, if you double-kill 3 pairs (so, 6 enemies) it will hardfreeze the Ps3. Everytime. Every. Single. Time.
Managed to work around it by stabbing them one by one in the back, but it was still annoying as fuck. =/

Sorry if it allready has been mentioned by the way. <_<

Otherwise, I have encountered no problems whatsoever with this amazing game.:D

jett

D-Member
KAOz said:
Heh, found a little gamebreaking bug today while trying to get the No Hitter trophy on the Ps3. I checked it up, and I am not alone.

Basically, when in Venice and gathering ten or more guards to get the trophy, and using the smoke bombs and hidden blade trick, if you double-kill 3 pairs (so, 6 enemies) it will hardfreeze the Ps3. Everytime. Every. Single. Time.
Managed to work around it by stabbing them one by one in the back, but it was still annoying as fuck. =/

Hey KAOz, unrelated, but does the PS3 version stutter every now and then for you? It's like I'm walking through Florence, I turn the camera around and suddenly the framerate stutters for a few seconds then it gets smooth again.

I figured out the off the wall SIDE jumping on my own, since it was the only way to get a feather in the third area of Florence, IIRC. I don't remember being able to do that in the other 3D ACs, so it was pretty neat when I tried it out and had it work!

You can do it in the first AC but I don't think it's every required like it is in AC2.

BigFwoosh

I had a weird bug last night while doing a contract assassination. Had to kill two guys, so I air-assassinated both at once with the hidden blades. The mission wouldn't end though, and there was still a blue arrow over one of the corpses as though I still needed to kill the guy. Fortunately, I was able to redo the mission and complete it successfully the second time.

Bug aside, I cannot get enough of this game. Poison blade has become my new favorite weapon.

What a pleasant surprise AC II has been. I went from not anticipating it, because of the disappointing first one, to not being able to stop playing it. By the way, the game is gorgeous.:lol

jett

D-Member
Speaking of bugs, I accessed a contract assassination memory replay once and the pigeon coop wouldn't appear on the map.

KAOz said:

This definitely needs to be patched.

Baker

Banned
BigFwoosh said:
I had a weird bug last night while doing a contract assassination. Had to kill two guys, so I air-assassinated both at once with the hidden blades. The mission wouldn't end though, and there was still a blue arrow over one of the corpses as though I still needed to kill the guy. Fortunately, I was able to redo the mission and complete it successfully the second time.

Bug aside, I cannot get enough of this game. Poison blade has become my new favorite weapon.
Yeah I had one like that happen. I had to assassinate a dude, so I sneaked (is snuck seriously not a word?) in behind him and did an air kill. However, the game wanted me to alert him for some reason so it could trigger a chase. His dead body just sat there with a blue arrow until I aborted the mission.

LCfiner

Using poison blades on those goddamn minstrels that block you in the street is the greatest joy ever. I'll blend in with some courtesans, stick the bugger in the chest then just watch as he freaks out and starts flailing on the ground. Once he is finished, our merry group just walks over his body, as my courtesans laugh and laugh and laugh.

I'm actually pretty amazed that Ubi managed to come up with an even more annoying pedestrian than the AC1 beggars. good job... sort of.

@ Baker. that's some GTA IV level bullshit right there :lol

Nightz

TuSeiSkeefoso said:
What a pleasant surprise AC II has been. I went from not anticipating it, because of the disappointing first one, to not being able to stop playing it. By the way, the game is gorgeous.:lol
I'm in the same exact boat. The game still does have its flaws, but I applaud Ubisoft for improving on the good things the first one did.

Where can you see your stats/playtime/etc.?

KAOz

Short bus special
jett said:
Hey KAOz, unrelated, but does the PS3 version stutter every now and then for you? It's like I'm walking through Florence, I turn the camera around and suddenly the framerate stutters for a few seconds then it gets smooth again.

Sometimes, yes indeed. Also when just holding L1 and moving forward it starts to stutter now and then aswell. =/ Still better than the first game in that regard though. :lol

Griffith

Banned
I've got to stop putting the controller down during cut scenes. I'm always missing the button presses. The worst time was when you just get to Venice and you
help Leonardo move to his new place. He goes to give you a hug and I didn't press the button in time, so Ezio just stands there, and Leonardo looks sad when you don't hug back, poor guy, I felt bad afterward :(

jett

D-Member
LCfiner said:
Using poison blades on those goddamn minstrels that block you in the street is the greatest joy ever. I'll blend in with some courtesans, stick the bugger in the chest then just watch as he freaks out and starts flailing on the ground. Once he is finished, our merry group just walks over his body, as my courtesans laugh and laugh and laugh.

I'm actually pretty amazed that Ubi managed to come up with an even more annoying pedestrian than the AC1 beggars. good job... sort of.

@ Baker. that's some GTA IV level bullshit right there :lol

Speaking of which, anyone else pissed that AC2 doesn't have the bonus of letting you kill all the civilians you want after finishing the game(like AC1), despite the fact that AC2 makes it MUCH easier to kill them? :p

I just wanna slaughter crowds, man.

I hate it that the cities are so huge.

I am looking for the glyphs in Venice but there are so many churces and buildings there that it is almost impossible matching the church to the picture in my database. Why does the map not show the name of the church whilst hovering over it?!

I haven't seen much mention of this but is anyone getting audio issues on rare occasions? I'm using digital surround. Its mostly like crackling.

Baker

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
I haven't seen much mention of this but is anyone getting audio issues on rare occasions? I'm using digital surround. Its mostly like crackling.
Yeah, I got random "ambient" crackling throughout the whole game in the rear speakers (360).

MMaRsu

So is Venice the only other big city to find? I've only visited Florence so far and the villa and the other small city.

Baker

Banned
Pizza Luigi said:

I am looking for the glyphs in Venice but there are so many churces and buildings there that it is almost impossible matching the church to the picture in my database. Why does the map not show the name of the church whilst hovering over it?!
Are you looking for the one with a big blue circle on the front with some gold inside it? It's right by that main bridge. I ran around forever looking for that one because it gets added to the database when you're going on that initial tour.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Wonder if this will be fixed.
I didn't notice it when I was "playing" the game. It was always during lulls in the cutscenes or something. I seriously justified it as an Animus glitch so I wouldn't get annoyed. :lol

Pizza Luigi said:

Yeah I hated this too. If I have already been by it on a mission, just mark it on my map. I only had one glyph I was missing near the end of the game so I had to visit every dark gray building on my map in Florence to find the right one.

Irish

Things I miss from AC:

• The Blood Spray
  • Actual Assassinations/Ending Dialogues
  • Spy-like Desmond sequences
  • Shit tons of guards for you to kill
  • Killer Escape Sequences

That's all that I can think of right now.

I hope the announce AC III by creating another awesome CG trailer like AC II's and then having a really detailed preview in GI.

jett said:
Speaking of which, anyone else pissed that AC2 doesn't have the bonus of letting you kill all the civilians you want after finishing the game(like AC1), despite the fact that AC2 makes it MUCH easier to kill them? :p

Same here. Three (really two) is just not enough to cut it.

jett

D-Member
Pizza Luigi said:

HAH, I listened to an interesting tip on Co-op. Look up the locations in google maps, their position on the actual city should match almost exactly with the game. :p

eso76

jett said:
Without spoiling anything, there's more.

i'm going to get to that "more" in my next session, but i am under the impression it's not
as big as venice or florence, but rather a small portion of the vatican where the final assassination takes place and little else
am i wrong ?
dunno, just a feeling

Filldough

Griffith said:
I've got to stop putting the controller down during cut scenes. I'm always missing the button presses. The worst time was when you just get to Venice and you
help Leonardo move to his new place. He goes to give you a hug and I didn't press the button in time, so Ezio just stands there, and Leonardo looks sad when you don't hug back, poor guy, I felt bad afterward :(

Haha, same thing happened to me. The look on his face is pretty priceless though. :D

jett

D-Member
eso76 said:
i'm going to get to that "more" in my next session, but i am under the impression it's not
as big as venice or florence, but rather a small portion of the vatican where the final assassination takes place and little else
am i wrong ?
dunno, just a feeling

Don't highlight MMaRsu!

He hasn't reached Romagna/Forli yet. :p

Baker

Banned
Mejilan said:
Any penalties for that?
I missed a few unexpected cut-scene QTE moments.
Nope. This one didn't have a "hit X amount of cutscene buttons" achievement like the original.

Edit: If I ever get around to a second playthrough, I might try doing none of them. Like I wonder what happens in that opening sex scene if you don't do anything.

Mihku

Got the game today. I have to say, this game starts at a sloooooow pace. Nothing wrong to tell the background story and introducing the gameplay mechanics at the same time, but it drags on a bit too long.

And Lucy, what have they done to you. Ugliest lip movement since Dragon Age. I expect a lot better this day and age, even from a sandbox game.

duckroll

jett said:

Here's a weird thing I noticed. Personally, I hate killing innocents in AC and AC2. There's something about the way it is presented in the game which makes it disgusting and wrong when I do it. I've accidentally killed a few people in AC2, and it never felt good, so I can't say that I ever felt any desire in either game to "kill tons of people" randomly.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It does start off slow. But once it gets moving, it really moves!
You're in a for a great time.

Edit - I'm with you Duckroll. Sometimes when I chase a courier/thief type for his mad loots, I forget to lock onto him in my rush, and when I go in close for the tackle assassination, hit some pedestrians instead. I always flinch. And not just because it slows me down.

Zeliard

duckroll said:
Here's a weird thing I noticed. Personally, I hate killing innocents in AC and AC2. There's something about the way it is presented in the game which makes it disgusting and wrong when I do it. I've accidentally killed a few people in AC2, and it never felt good, so I can't say that I ever felt any desire in either game to "kill tons of people" randomly.

Yeah, there is something strange about it in AC. I have no issue slaughtering countless civilians in GTA games, but it feels somehow wrong in the AC games. Especially in AC2, since it's totally out of character for Ezio (though that's not the only reason).

Might be because of how cold and ruthlessly efficient Altair and Ezio are when they are killing people.

Mana Sin

You can kill people without de-syncing if you just use your fists. I enjoy grabbing the bards every once and again and headbutting them into submission.

I have no respect for the guards in AC2. They're wusses! I still have yet to kill 10 in one combat phase because they all run away. I've even had four or so guards put away their weapons and high-tail it out of there after I killed about 7 guards. So very annoying. No honor in them at all.

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:

:lol The only time I felt bad about killing someone in AC2 is when I was chasing a thief and instead of pressing circle I pressed square and he suddently said "I have 6 children to feed..aAAAARRGH" too late man I had already pressed the button. :p

Irish

I hated killing civilians while playing through the story, but once the game ends, it's just too hard to attract a ton of guards to kill. That's why I want to kill an unlimited amount of civilians.

Baker

Banned
Mana Sin said:
You can kill people without de-syncing if you just use your fists. I enjoy grabbing the bards every once and again and headbutting them into submission.
Yeah. If I have a cloak for the town I'm in, I punch every bard that runs up to me. If not, I'll either:

1. Throw money.
1b. Pickpocket every single person picking up my money.

2. Knock the lute out of their hands if there aren't any guards around. It's funny to make them sad.

Ranger X

Mana Sin said:

I have no respect for the guards in AC2. They're wusses! I still have yet to kill 10 in one combat phase because they all run away. I've even had four or so guards put away their weapons and high-tail it out of there after I killed about 7 guards. So very annoying. No honor in them at all.

Actually when you "beat up" people they aren't dead or considered dead by the game. They stay on the ground, in pain. :)

But there's definetely ways of truly killing NPCs without trigering the limit though. Tackling them into water per example.

jett

D-Member
Irish said:
I hated killing civilians while playing through the story, but once the game ends, it's just too hard to attract a ton of guards to kill. That's why I want to kill an unlimited amount of civilians.

This is another slight issue in AC2. In AC1 guards would come out at you like flies from outside the street you are in, when you killed one of their own or any civilians. It made the impression that the people would come to them for help. In Italy they don't give much of a fuck and instead complain about the stench of the bodies. :p In general there's much less NPCs on screen in AC2 most of the time, too. It's so rare to get 10 guards coming at you at the same time, when it's a normal occurrence in the first game.

Baker

Banned
I just remembered one more funny thing to do in the loading screen.

Do the running shoulder charge (RT + B) and run sideways. The character model for Desmond looks completely ridiculous on alien-type levels. They must have stretched the neck out so Ezio's costume would fit better.

Zaphyr

Neo Member
I'm totally loving the bards, you should stop and listen to their songs for once! Always throw them some coins, what am I going to spend it on anyway.

jett

D-Member
Baker said:
I just remember one more funny thing to do in the loading screen.

Do the running shoulder charge (RT + B) and run sideways. The character model for Desmond looks completely ridiculous on alien-type levels. They must have stretched the neck out so Ezio's costume would fit better.

Next game to take place in Notre Dame? :p For me Desmond is the weirdest looking model in the game.

duckroll

Zeliard said:
Yeah, there is something strange about it in AC. I have no issue slaughtering countless civilians in GTA games, but it feels somehow wrong in the AC games. Especially in AC2, since it's totally out of character for Ezio (though that's not the only reason).

Might be because of how cold and ruthlessly efficient Altair and Ezio are when they are killing people.

I think part of it is how unflinching they are when they actually kill, yes. Another element is how well the games build up the nature of the "assassins" in the game, and how I really do feel that in a way I kill in the game for a higher purpose than just murder. It feels very much like a superhero game, if that makes sense. So much so that if I'm actually in-character enough, it's very obvious that killing innocent people would simply be wrong and completely against the nature of the game.

I think Ubisoft really nailed the atmosphere and experience in both games. Definitely my favorite new IP this generation.

Top Bottom