• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

I'm giving up on 100% for this game. I did all the story missions, but this side stuff is killing me. It's dull, it's annoying, and it never seems to end. I'm calling it quits.

I tried, NeoGAF, I tried.

Vamphuntr

I'm giving up on 100% for this game. I did all the story missions, but this side stuff is killing me. It's dull, it's annoying, and it never seems to end. I'm calling it quits.

I tried, NeoGAF, I tried.

This is my take as well and I'm only halfway through. It also seems you never get something useful from them. In 2, I felt Ezio became really strong with all the sidestuff but here I feel Connor is the same.

Some of the missions are also really starting to get on my nerves. Tail someone or chase someone while running and sticking/climbing to everything. UGH

Nemesis_

Does anyone know the name of the track that plays during (modern day segment spoilers)
the visit to Brazil
?

Nemesis_

sounds like desmond's destiny or what came before, but not quite, a lot of stuff they just dont put in the soundtracks.

Ahh, okay, cheers! I'll have a look.

Anyone got tips for the mission with the Orpheus? You have to sink ALL THREE ships by exposing and shooting their powder barrels. I can't seem to do it, and I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING I've found on the internet. What am I missing? :(

Ahh, okay, cheers! I'll have a look.

Anyone got tips for the mission with the Orpheus? You have to sink ALL THREE ships by exposing and shooting their powder barrels. I can't seem to do it, and I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING I've found on the internet. What am I missing? :(

Just ram them head-on. When your scrape past their hull, it'll break away and you can shoot it.

If you've upgraded the Aquila, hit a full stop right before you hit them, that should slow you down enough to not destroy the enemy ship immediately. With luck, it'll also scrape off the hull and you can just fire inside.

Using chains to destroy all ships' masts can help, too, but regardless, that mission is a pain in the ass.

Nemesis_

Just ram them head-on. When your scrape past their hull, it'll break away and you can shoot it.

If you've upgraded the Aquila, hit a full stop right before you hit them, that should slow you down enough to not destroy the enemy ship immediately. With luck, it'll also scrape off the hull and you can just fire inside.

Using chains to destroy all ships' masts can help, too, but regardless, that mission is a pain in the ass.

I don't know if I am approaching the wrong angle or something but I sink them almost every time.

It's so frustrating because it's literally the only mission I don't have 100% on right now :(

I don't know if I am approaching the wrong angle or something but I sink them almost every time.

It's so frustrating because it's literally the only mission I don't have 100% on right now :(

Don't hit them in the middle, but approach them from the front and scrape their armor off.

Irish

First, fire chain shot to keep them in a single position and then hit them like this:

pL5uyqk.png

First, fire chain shot to keep them in a single position and then hit them like this:

http://i.imgur.com/pL5uyqk.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Either like this, or come at them from the front. In either case, though, I suggest you fully retract your sails a few moments before hitting them. That should reduce your speed and lower the odds of the enemy ship breaking in two. In my experience, hitting them from the front (and to the side just a little bit, so you can scrape past their hulls) works best.

zeox

So I've played up to the part where you are about to go to New York and I'm getting bored mighty fast. Is the game worth playing through for the story, or should I just quit and look up the rest of the story on the web?

The DLC is pretty interesting, you're basically a mohawk superhero with these new powers.

No way in hell are they worth $10 a piece. I finished the first chapter in under 2 hours, I'm sure the second was about the same. Fun, but pricey.

Effect

The DLC is pretty interesting, you're basically a mohawk superhero with these new powers.

No way in hell are they worth $10 a piece. I finished the first chapter in under 2 hours, I'm sure the second was about the same. Fun, but pricey.

This is why I haven't gotten any of it. I finish the game at just over 38 hours played at 81%. I haven't even finished the sea missions. $30 for what maybe 6 hours isn't a good deal by comparison. I assume there is no replay value either unlike a map pack for a shooter or the maps in Fire Emblem where I can try out different characters.

I snatched a few codes from a retailer. I don't think they're worth anything because they were up for grabs.

Red coat multiplayer pack (PC version) (quote to see)

If you take one, please inform that you took number X.

Welp, apparently the interest for AC3 related stuff (or multiplayer related at least) has vanished quite quickly.

So I bump it in case the codes expire.

Effect

I think I'm officially done with the game now. Finished all the naval missions. Got all the chest, pages, and feathers. Crafted all the inventions. Sitting at 91% at 40 hours played but have no interest at all in the society missions, etc. Didn't finish the contract missions either. To much busy work and pointless running around and waiting. Time to get rid of the game while I can for a decent price as I know it's just going to collect dust now.

Toa TAK

Banned
So the final act of the Washington DLC came out today, and as one of the few left on GAF who still play the game (it seems), I really enjoyed it.

Much better than part II. Being able to swap in and out of the three animal powers was awesome and they're still the main focus of
fighting King Washington.
Which turned out a little bit better then I thought judging from the previous episodes. It was also really cool to meet
Thomas Jefferson

Started playing this over the last few days. Up to sequence 6 now.

There's one thing that's bugging me though and that's money making. Hunting is obvious (and moderately profitable, but eats time).

I tried trading, but the very first cart I sent away with some barrels on it was destroyed, so I can't do any more of those, and can't seem to make a new cart for further trading as I don't have the required resources.

There's no real "guide" to getting the resources required, the UI is confusing and I honestly have no idea how to continue with trading/making goods etc?

There seems to be a whole world of resources and crafting that I haven't figured out yet.

Naval missions are awesome though. Getting me pretty excited for Black Flag.

So the final act of the Washington DLC came out today, and as one of the few left on GAF who still play the game (it seems), I really enjoyed it.

Much better than part II. Being able to swap in and out of the three animal powers was awesome and they're still the main focus of
fighting King Washington.
Which turned out a little bit better then I thought judging from the previous episodes. It was also really cool to meet
Thomas Jefferson
I just finished part II today and LOVED the glorified grappling hook that is the eagle power. Surprised they didn't add an eagle summon power to distract guards or something. Like fly over, screech causing gaurds and their dogs to look up allowing you to get by unseen (would have been handy in a few missions).

Did they give each animal power a unique notation this time? I ask because you mention swapping between the three which can get tedious and take up 75% of your weapon slots.

Toa TAK

Banned
Did they give each animal power a unique notation this time? I ask because you mention swapping between the three which can get tedious and take up 75% of your weapon slots.

It's the ladder. But for me, it was worth it. 3 slots dedicated to the animal powers and one for the hidden blade was how I played.

seat

So is The Redemption the last AC3 DLC? If so, I'm disappointed. I thought it would be better. I played The DaVinci Disappearance last weekend and found it entirely better in many ways than any of the DLC AC3 has offered.

AGITΩ

I was actually surprised to see The Redemption available for Download today on the eShop, considering the press release Ubisoft put out said the 15th. Bought and Downloading now.

Anyone else want more Connor? I've named dropped him in two threads today and I just want more. What I loved about the homestead missions was it actually showed a life outside of the brotherhood for our main character. Here's hoping he's not completely abandoned.

After 8 or so hours I was ready to give this game up, so I took a break and told myself I would come back to it. I am glad I did :D After pushing through it finally felt like an AC game! And the naval missions are superb! I'm enjoying those quite a bit and hope to see more of them in Black Flag.

Finished this over the weekend. "Completed" at 77% synchronisation and 27 hours, 15 mins.

The Naval missions and naval integration into standard-fare missions was seriously impressive. I loved the missions that involved your ship.

As with most AC titles, lots of little bugs and glitches, but nothing game breaking. Right at the end of the game during one of the significant death sequences, I had a random civilian walk into the cutscene and no-clip through the dying character which was hilarious. It's that kind of glitchy randomness that sorta spoils the title at the same time though.

Some good moments with side missions and characters and the Homestead missions are excellent. I actually preferred the character development in the side-missions to the main mission stuff.

Interesting to see where they take things from here with the Desmond arc too.

PowderedToast

Anyone else want more Connor? I've named dropped him in two threads today and I just want more. What I loved about the homestead missions was it actually showed a life outside of the brotherhood for our main character. Here's hoping he's not completely abandoned.

yes, for me he's easily the best AC protagonist. it's a shame ubi have dropped him for what looks like a bland white hero in black flag.

Toa TAK

Banned

Me, too. I was hoping they would pull a 3.5 in the vein of Brotherhood/Revelations, Connor is easily my favorite Assassin after this game. I think people needed to really put things in perspective for him before they quickly complain about his character.

yes, for me he's easily the best AC protagonist. it's a shame ubi have dropped him for what looks like a bland white hero in black flag.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised we got a "bland white hero" as well. AC was pretty cool in a way due the different nationalities/ethnicities of the main heroes (to recap: Assyrian, Italian, Mohawk/Brit, African/French).

So yeah, "eh" is the word I'd use to describe what they're going for with his character. Judging from what they've said about who he is, it seems that they're trying to please people with another Ezio-type character...

I started the game a few days ago and played all the way to sequence 8. Love Haytham and Connor and their father-son moments. Graphics are mediocre aswel as the gameplay, I don't enjoy the combat anymore. The ship battles are sweet, much better than the tower defense crap from Revelations. The story is much better and interesting than the previous 2 AC games.
Dunno who is good or bad, Haythams and the dying Templars' words confuse me... and Connor it seems

I really don't wanna see Connor go up against Haytham and someone getting kiled in the end, they're both very great characters. I mean, a father and son, assassin and templar working together.

Some good moments with side missions and characters and the Homestead missions are excellent. I actually preferred the character development in the side-missions to the main mission stuff.

Yes, the homestead missions make the game (and Connor) for me.

Me, too. I was hoping they would pull a 3.5 in the vein of Brotherhood/Revelations, Connor is easily my favorite Assassin after this game. I think people needed to really put things in perspective for him before they quickly complain about his character.

It's funny, because a sidequel could have potentially shown a more developed Connor with the leadership of Haytham and Achilles combined with a naturally and instictually procurred Native wisdom who takes a strong stance against slavery in the continuing quest of liberty and free will. But NOPE! We get...

I'm still kind of excited, but I don't want the rest of Connor's life ignored simply because they want to move away from Desmond... if that is the plan. We saw Altair and Ezio complete their arcs, why not Connor?

I'm still kind of excited, but I don't want the rest of Connor's life ignored simply because they want to move away from Desmond... if that is the plan. We saw Altair and Ezio complete their arcs, why not Connor?

Except that connor had a purpose and completed it.
No matter how i see it you can't follow this timeline anymore without introducing new elements ( black flag purpose ) first.

Except that connor had a purpose and completed it.
No matter how i see it you can't follow this timeline anymore without introducing new elements ( black flag purpose ) first.
But they can easily create new mechanics going forward with Connor as well. I can sit here and unload idea after idea (started to lol), but what's the use if it ain't going to happen?

Lima

The gameplay with the new abilities is fantastic in this DLC. It is crazy how much better the DLC is than the main game.

So that DLC, yay or nay?
The Tyranny of King Washington, it sounds promising but is it worth it?
Worth it. I just completed the last part... Dat ending. Nothing shocking, but an interesting look at GW's POV.

The Connor fanboy in me wants to believe that the next title was supposed to continue his thing since (DLC part 3 ending spoiler)
he sunk the apple in the ocean and the new game features underwater elements... but not sure why he'd be looking for it again so it's just my desperate attempt to cry foul at no more Connor haha.

Sec0nd

LTTP but I just finished this game. I really did enjoy this game, it's probably my favourite AC although the cities are a lot better in the other games. It felt a bit like a RDR and AC mix. The naval combat was also surprisingly incredibly fun, absolutely the best part of the game.

Although I personally think this is a great game (I know a lot of people don't like it), it's still pretty darn flawed. Lots of game mechanics weren't properly explained like crafting and the assassins guild. I was seriously waiting for the game to properly unlock these features and explain them to me only to finding out I had access to them about half way through the game.

But the worst part, the ending. What the hell? I really liked where the story was going at the end of AC2 but wow, the ending was hilariously bad.

Anyway, enjoyed the game a lot, played it for about 30 hours and I cannot wait for Blackflag!

Just finished this game. Boring. So much filler crap to pad the length, the assassin part in assassin creed is gone, Desmond levels were horribly bland, Boston/new York by far the worst cities in the series (modern New York would have been 100x better), naval missions a complete chore which means I'm skipping AC4.

Oh, and story is isn't even syfy channel worthy. Nerd game programmers can't write stories for shit, please hire legit writers

6/10

How do side missions work in the Tyranny of King Washington, can I do side missions throughout all three episodes, or does each set need to be completed in that specific episode?

Top Bottom