• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

It indeed is very special of a moment, but the game has far too many shortcomings otherwise for me. Mainly the terrible brotherhood management system which consumes gameplay, den defense which is the low point of the entire series and more technical glitches than any other game in the series. I can't begin to count the amount of times I've just got stuck somewhere and couldn't do anything.

I was actually able to, mercifully, make it through the game without ever doing Den Defense, aside from the tutorial. What were they thinking?

Amir0x

Banned
I'm playing Brotherhood for the first time right now, and I'm having a good time with it.

i know i went into it bitter as shit

'really. just Rome. really?' Cash in shit!

but I was wrong. it was really pretty good and they had some nice improvements to the formula in it

Although I did enjoy the hook introduced in Revelations, sound mechanic.

Stop hating on Revelations people. Its Ezio/Altair connection is the series high point imo.

To be honest, the game sounds really appealing because of the new setting. Is it any good on it's own or will the Desmond bits confuse the heck out of me?

And AC3 has a summary of that? Because if so, fantastic - been one of the things making me doubt a purchase of it.

I-hate-u

I loved Revelations. Much better than Brotherhood in advancing the story which is why I play the games.

I can agree with this. I frankly did not care for the brotherhood element of the game introduced in Brotherhood. Ottoman Empire for a setting was very interesting for me as well and I also really liked the craft a bomb element.

But of course nothing can come close to the story of Desmond was walking in Ezio footsteps who was walking in Altair's footsteps. It felt conclusive unlike the sudden abrupt endings in the other games.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
End Spoiler folks:

Do we think Desmond is dead dead? Or only slightly-dead/will-easily-be-resuscitated? I'm guessing the latter since we still have all the spin-off games for ACIII to get through.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I loved Revelations. Much better than Brotherhood in advancing the story which is why I play the games.
I was actually able to, mercifully, make it through the game without ever doing Den Defense, aside from the tutorial. What were they thinking?
This is what happened to me.

I hated that fucking shit so much I spent MOST of my time with the game actively trying to avoid ever doing it again. That meant becoming completely OCD with the brotherhood management, which literally means your spending half your game time in those menus micromanaging that shit. This does not blend well with my OCD tendencies as is. Only after I was done with the game did I realize how much gameplay for me was actually work with the sole goal of trying to avoid a gameplay mechanic. At that point I realized it wasn't that great of a game after all, as much as I did enjoy the advancements in the story.

hlhbk

I can agree with this. I frankly did not care for the brotherhood element of the game introduced in Brotherhood. Ottoman Empire for a setting was very interesting for me as well and I also really liked the craft a bomb element.

But of course nothing can come close to the story of Desmond was walking in Ezio footsteps who was walking in Altair's footsteps. It felt conclusive unlike the sudden abrupt endings in the other games.

I actually completed Revelations back in July after I bought it at launch, and had put it off because of how much I disliked Brotherhood. I also put it off because everyone on GAF said how much it sucked compared to the others.

Once I finished the game I was in shock wondering what the hell people were talking about. That story (especially the ending) made me so pumped for AC3 I have been on ultra hype alert since then.

Kjellson

How many missions are there where you have to tail someone? Hate those kind of missions, and I felt the amount of missions of that kind was way too much in Brotherhood and Revelations.

Mystic654

End Spoiler folks:

Do we think Desmond is dead dead? Or only slightly-dead/will-easily-be-resuscitated? I'm guessing the latter since we still have all the spin-off games for ACIII to get through.

I'm Going with Dead Dead. It's likely we will be playing a descendant of Eve in AC 4. Where Desmond was a descendant of Adam.

LastNac

It made Altair a better character in my opinion. He was pretty bad in AC1.

He was a flawed character, one who is ignorant, brash, and selfish. One of my favorite things about AC1 was his character development from start to end. There was no evolution/sign of change anywhere to be found in Revelations; no proper reasoning for using the Apple or even a glimpse of the arrogant character he once was. Revelations seemed to pretend that AC1 never even happened as far as Altair's history goes...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I'm Going with Dead Dead. It's likely we will be playing a descendant of Eve in AC 4. Where Desmond was a descendant of Adam.

So you don't think there's going to be any spin-off games for ACIII? It just seems weird that they went to all this trouble to research/create an entirely new era and venue for ACIII if they're only going to use it once.

Hope my copy still arrives on Tuesday (and that I still have power to play it at home).

NIN90

That's what it says in Gamestar's new cover. The new one is coming out on the 31st.

Weird since the PC version won't be out for another month.

Warum kommt eigentlich alles am 31.10 (wenn hier im Osten Feiertag ist) raus? NFS:MW, AC3 und sogar die Gamestar!

Mystic654

So you don't think there's going to be any spin-off games for ACIII? It just seems weird that they went to all this trouble to research/create an entirely new era and venue for ACIII if they're only going to use it once.

Hope my copy still arrives on Tuesday (and that I still have power to play it at home).

I want to say No. At this Point, It's uncertain. They might just Flood us with DLC instead. If they want to do a Spin-Off I would think they would want Desmond Sticking around.

Jacobi

Banned
Weird since the PC version won't be out for another month.

Warum kommt eigentlich alles am 31.10 (wenn hier im Osten Feiertag ist) raus? NFS:MW, AC3 und sogar die Gamestar!
Halloween? They often test the console version if a pc version is announced. There's probably the same test in the gamepro and gamestar

mujun

See this is the shit I am talking about. Unrealisitc expectations! THIS IS NOT A RPG!!!!

Talk about defensive.

I've played all of the games in the series and have enjoyed most of my time with them (some entries more than others). I wasn't asking for an RPG, I thought I made that clear. Just want it to be a bit more open/free. I find the progression a little restrictive and the beauty of the environment a little wasted at times.

Ok I'm on sequence 5 and man I feel the game is getting better and better. Yes it has a slow but interesting beginning hours, but man... some of you guys are really going to enjoy this once it opens up. Just make sure to give it a chance and see the true colors of the game are shown to you.

Effect

To those that have played it. Honest answer please. For someone that hasn't played the series before (no amount of summary is enough to make up for actually playing a game and getting all the detail I feel) is it worth it to play the game? Better to perhaps way for the next game which should kick off a new story? Does the game actually make a point to fill in a new player on what happen in the past when events take place or just assume you have knowledge of the past games?

Well I can confirm as well. Sequence 6 is when the game just opens up. Wow! Lots to do. If you just beeline straight for the main missions your really missing out on alot.

To those that have played it. Honest answer please. For someone that hasn't played the series before (no amount of summary is enough to make up for actually playing a game and getting all the detail I feel) is it worth it to play the game? Better to perhaps way for the next game which should kick off a new story? Does the game actually make a point to fill in a new player on what happen in the past when events take place or just assume you have knowledge of the past games?

For new players. They do actually help explain all the things that have previously happened in the series. To get the most amount of details, I would recommend reading all the emails in-game and talking to all the characters outside of the animus between memory sequences. Some things might seem kind of vague to new players, such as mentions of Desmond's coma. Also his troubled relationship with his father. More importantly, I can see new players feeling totally clueless with the portions dealing with the first civilization people.

If anything I would recommend at least watching the 7 minute IGN vid explaining the series so far.

Massa

Unless you must play something new, or got the game as a gift or something, I'd highly recommend you go play at least AC2 first. Not just for story reasons, that game is very much worth experiencing first hand.

Brotherhood and Revelations then only if you really get into the story of 2. Like, really love it.

Effect

Unless you must play something new, or got the game as a gift or something, I'd highly recommend you go play at least AC2 first. Not just for story reasons, that game is very much worth experiencing first hand.

Brotherhood and Revelations then only if you really get into the story of 2. Like, really love it.

Not going to be an option in the end. I don't really like spending money on older games just to understand the new. Can't help but seeing it as waste and my gaming budget is already set.

@keltickennedy Thanks. That the game does try to explain things is a plus.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Having read that article I feel the following. It essentially summarized how AC3 is a clear and absolute departure from AC1. It revealed to me that there was really no thought behind AC3's plot, gameplay, and design. Despite people not liking AC1 and its repetitive nature, you can see that they worked hard to bring something unique and cool. With AC3, I don't feel that it's there. In a sense, I read that article as "Everything that AC stood for is not in AC3"

Top Bottom