• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
LetsGoKiting said:
Should you do the last Desmond sequence before or after the last Ezio sequence? Does it matter?
I think it works better if you finish the Desmond stuff before Ezio, but it's not that important really.

Spokeys

Alright, so I'm stuck on DNA Sequence 4...

After helping Sofia get the scroll from the ship and then Eavesdropping on what that guy's uncle and the captain or whoever he is was saying, I'm stuck. I have the next Secondary Mission with Sofia available, but I have to spend 60,000 to be able to get to her in that building I guess.

Is that the only way to further advance the story or is there something else I do? I only have 15k now and have no idea how i'll get all the rest...

Spokeys said:
Alright, so I'm stuck on DNA Sequence 4...

After helping Sofia get the scroll from the ship and then Eavesdropping on what that guy's uncle and the captain or whoever he is was saying, I'm stuck. I have the next Secondary Mission with Sofia available, but I have to spend 60,000 to be able to get to her in that building I guess.

Is that the only way to further advance the story or is there something else I do? I only have 15k now and have no idea how i'll get all the rest...

There is another way in. You don't need to spend 60K.

Why does renovating merchant shops cause your notoriety to go up? This makes no sense to me, and I find it obnoxious. I understood the old system, where it seemed your notoriety only went up when you were caught killing Templars out in the open.

Notoriety for renovations is just an annoying bother, it makes me run around looking for heralds to bribe or city officials to kill (of which there aren't nearly enough), or risk playing the tower defense game at a den (which is merely okay).

glaurung

TangoAlphaLima said:
Why does renovating merchant shops cause your notoriety to go up? This makes no sense to me, and I find it obnoxious. I understood the old system, where it seemed your notoriety only went up when you were caught killing Templars out in the open.

Notoriety for renovations is just an annoying bother, it makes me run around looking for heralds to bribe or city officials to kill (of which there aren't nearly enough), or risk playing the tower defense game at a den (which is merely okay).
I caught myself thinking about it too.

I suppose the logical explanation is the artificial lengthening of game play. In the old games you unlocked a district, renovated the shit out of everything and cashed in big time. Now they want you to either play that broken tower defense minigame or run around looking for them -25% heralds.

Bogus design choice, but I can live with it.

TangoAlphaLima said:

Don't bother doing any of that until post game. It sounds crazy but I finished the story with only two assassins, one den and virtually no shops bought (a couple of banks). Shit was just bothersome to me when experiencing the story. Just buy the crossbow and you're good to go.

glaurung

StevePharma said:
Don't bother doing any of that until post game. It sounds crazy but I finished the story with only two assassins, one den and virtually no shops bought (a couple of banks). Shit was just bothersome to me when experiencing the story. Just buy the crossbow and you're good to go.
I want the money.

Plus OCD.

LiK

StevePharma said:
I didn't buy the crossbow but I will need it for a Master Assassin mission. Too hard without it.

glaurung said:
I want the money.

Plus OCD.

I have OCD as well but it could wait for me until after the story. You also don't need gold whatsoever unless you actually want to buy everything immediately. I just bought armor and some ammo when I was low.

StevePharma said:

I suppose I could do that, but I actually find the assassin recruitment, assassin's dens, and assassin leveling aspect to be a lot of fun (especially in Revelations, it was pretty bare bones in Brotherhood). I also like doing the renovations early in the game, so that the money can pile up, allowing me more renovations, more landmarks purchased, and more weapons/equipment.

My only problem with all of this is the forced notoriety. Not much I can do. I just wish they still had the wanted posters and made city officials a little more common, at the very least.

ultron87

Is there an actual effective way to kill the various siege engines in tower defense? They just roll through everything I have while killing half my guys.

I haven't been able to get into this yet. It bugs me. I LOVE the Assassin Creed games, but it feels like they've tacked so much b.s. onto the game. I haven't gone far, but when I ran into that tower defense mini game, I wanted to put the controller down. Who's fucking idea was this?! If I wanted tower defense, I'd play a fucking tower defense game.

And, from what I understand, you have to do these regularly if you want to protect a den, right? Man, FUCK.

LiK

ultron87 said:
Is there an actual effective way to kill the various siege engines in tower defense? They just roll through everything I have while killing half my guys.
I just spam riflemen.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sai said:
Man, a cover mechanic could mess up AC's free running so bad if implemented poorly.

How? It would give you the chance to stay hidden from enemy sight instead of always having to dive into stupid haystacks. It is really needed actually.

glaurung

ultron87 said:
A well placed cannon shot can make the difference. Also, upgrade the barricades to maximum. That stops them for a while.

The tower defense game rules are simple: all the points you make, spam spam spam, upgrade upgrade, etc. There is no point in holding a reserve.

LiK

glaurung said:
A well placed cannon shot can make the difference. Also, upgrade the barricades to maximum. That stops them for a while.

The tower defense game rules are simple: all the points you make, spam spam spam, upgrade upgrade, etc. There is no point in holding a reserve.
Barricades at max does nothing for me. The cannons blast them away with one hit. Spamming barricades work if you have plenty of morale in final wave.

glaurung said:
I want the money.
Plus OCD.
me2 I did everything in the city before the main story line and only took me about 6.5 hours :p.
Tonight after dinner going to play more of the main game.

And yes your get noticed more when you buy something is crazy and stupid. :|
But did it anyway and just bribed every one that I could to get it back to normal.

RoninChaos said:
And, from what I understand, you have to do these regularly if you want to protect a den, right? Man, FUCK.

No. Templars only attack dens when you have 100% notoriety, so try to avoid that (it's hard to avoid without a lot of effort - see the above discussion).

Alternatively, when you assign an assassin to be the leader of a den, once he reaches level 15, Templars will no longer be able to overtake that den.

And yet one more option is to let the Templars retake the den, then just take it back again without doing the tower defense.

LiK

The Dutch Slayer said:
me2 I did everything in the city before the main story line and only took me about 6.5 hours :p.
Tonight after dinner going to play more of the main game.

And yes your get noticed more when you buy something is crazy and stupid. :|
But did it anyway and just bribed every one that I could to get it back to normal.
Also kill the officials. Killing two will clear it up instantly.

LuchaShaq

Banned
TangoAlphaLima said:
Yes, we've all had that problem before. They're called women. ;-)

Went to bed last night, wokeup 4 hours later see GF. "Yeah I started playing when you went to bed". She's 8sh hours in and hasn't even done the first flashback mission lmao.

nel e nel

RE: the opening sequence being slow - I don't know if I would call it slow per se, for me a more accurate description would be uneven.

Using the pre-rendered trailer with Ezio voiceover that I've already seen a bunch of times (and quite frankly the dubstep remix was better IMO) and then switching to in-game graphics; the uberlong intro credits (do we really need almost a full minute of a black screen with all 6 of the studios listed one-by-one? Can't wait to see how long the end credits are :/ ); relative lack of tutorial (not that I really needed it - and I do like how the training missions are accessible at almost anytime if you want to practice) that caused me to fumble around for a bit until I remembered the controls; complete redesign of Desmond (Ezio doesn't feel as glaring since he has the beard and is much older); I was definitely distracted by Altair's ghost trail on that first sequence.

All of these added up to a jarring experience that had me wondering "Jeez, is this game going to be 'meh'?" Ultimately they are all small niggles because once I reached Constantinople and got the first vista of the city I was like 'Awwww yeeeaahhh...LET'S MURDER SOME GUARDS!!!'

Started my 2nd session up at 10:30pm last night, and the next time I looked it was 3:15am.

Question for folks who have finished: does the game plop you back in for free roam so I can go back and attempt to 100% synch after the fact? I assume it does but just want to confirm.

nel e nel said:
RE: the opening sequence being slow - I don't know if I would call it slow per se, for me a more accurate description would be uneven.

Using the pre-rendered trailer with Ezio voiceover that I've already seen a bunch of times (and quite frankly the dubstep remix was better IMO) and then switching to in-game graphics; the uberlong intro credits (do we really need almost a full minute of a black screen with all 6 of the studios listed one-by-one? Can't wait to see how long the end credits are :/ ); relative lack of tutorial (not that I really needed it - and I do like how the training missions are accessible at almost anytime if you want to practice) that caused me to fumble around for a bit until I remembered the controls; complete redesign of Desmond (Ezio doesn't feel as glaring since he has the beard and is much older); I was definitely distracted by Altair's ghost trail on that first sequence.

All of these added up to a jarring experience that had me wondering "Jeez, is this game going to be 'meh'?" Ultimately they are all small niggles because once I reached Constantinople and got the first vista of the city I was like 'Awwww yeeeaahhh...LET'S MURDER SOME GUARDS!!!'

My thoughts:

The pre-rendered trailer before gameplay was a bad idea. It just made me think, "wow, is that what it's going to look like to play AC in 5 to 10 years?" Then the game started and I thought, "damn, I wish I was playing a game that looked like the pre-rendered trailer."

The difference in Desmond's face and Ezio's face is jarring. I'd seen the comparison photos, but it's even worse in game. They don't even look like the same people. You're right, Ezio is a little more excusable due to the age difference, but there is no excuse for Desmond. Ezio looks like a Neanderthal though, so that's not good.

But yes, it's still AC, and AC has become one of my favorite gaming franchises. Revelations may not live up to my hopes or expectations, but I'm sure I'll have a blast anyway.

nel e nel said:
Started my 2nd session up at 10:30pm last night, and the next time I looked it was 3:15am.

Almost the same situation here. I started it up before 9PM, played it in my man cave where I have no clock, and when I emerged from the man cave, it was 1:15AM. I was not expecting that.

TangoAlphaLima said:
No. Templars only attack dens when you have 100% notoriety, so try to avoid that (it's hard to avoid without a lot of effort - see the above discussion).

Alternatively, when you assign an assassin to be the leader of a den, once he reaches level 15, Templars will no longer be able to overtake that den.

And yet one more option is to let the Templars retake the den, then just take it back again without doing the tower defense.
Thanks for the clarification. I really haven't gotten too far into it. I hope to get some time in this weekend.

And maybe you and I can argue about the story in this thread too. lol

LiK

RoninChaos said:
Thanks for the clarification. I really haven't gotten too far into it. I hope to get some time in this weekend.

And maybe you and I can argue about the story in this thread too. lol

nothing in the story to argue about imo. was good. ;)

MjFrancis

From what I've seen of AC:R so far nel e nel has echoed my sentiments exactly. I'm not as far through as he is, but this AC game starts off slow compared to previous titles. Istanbul or bust, bitches, screw this introduction.

Also glad to hear I can explore the city after I finish the game. Had a blast doing that in Brotherhood. I just had to 100% synch most everything, even before the achievement was tacked on through DLC.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else impeded with the games performance? Much improved from the previous games I thought, was a nice surprise.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I have the game insalled on the 360 and when I enter a Desmond sequence the disc spins for a bit. Anyone else have that?

LiK

SCHUEY F1 said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I have the game insalled on the 360 and when I enter a Desmond sequence the disc spins for a bit. Anyone else have that?

yup, it seems it will need to load that FMV for the startup sequence. Happens every time.

nel e nel

LiK said:
someone here said they rescanned the actor's head.

185px-Head_01_by_phat3d.jpg

ehhhhhhh....I dunno if I'd agree with that sentiment. The new Desmond doesn't look like this guy at all.

I noticed that on Animus Island, Desmond's outfit is an exact opposite of what he has worn in the last two games: he now has a white shirt with black hoodie.

I'm going with Desmond's psyche is fractured, and he's obviously hooked up into some sort of jerry-rigged Animus running back-up files. So it's done it's best to reconstruct his avatar, it's still running a scandisk and defrag on his mind and hasn't quite got all corrupted jpeg files worked out yet.

rataven

The further I get in the game, the more annoyed I become at even Ezio's design. The dude looks 75, not 50. Comparing him from the end of Brotherhood to the start of Revelations you wouldn't even know it's the same character.

I'm also not diggin all the black. I don't know if it's storyline related because of where Desmond is, but every friggin thing is black now. I received my CE guide yesterday....black. Even Desmond's sweatshirt is the opposite from Brotherhood. This isn't Ninja Creed.

I feel like we're definitely seeing the absence of Desilets with this entry.

LiK

nel e nel said:
185px-Head_01_by_phat3d.jpg

ehhhhhhh....I dunno if I'd agree with that sentiment. The new Desmond doesn't look like this guy at all.

I noticed that on Animus Island, Desmond's outfit is an exact opposite of what he has worn in the last two games: he now has a white shirt with black hoodie.

I'm going with Desmond's psyche is fractured, and he's obviously hooked up into some sort of jerry-rigged Animus running back-up files. So it's done it's best to reconstruct his avatar, it's still running a scandisk and defrag on his mind and hasn't quite got all corrupted jpeg files worked out yet.

nope, they already show him in the real world with the new face right in the beginning. :3
and confirmed in the ending.

it's just inconsistent.

rataven

nel e nel said:
I like this idea; holding on to it. The different art direction is just so jarring, that it's taking me out of the game. I choose to believe it can all be explained away by the Black Room and Desmond's mental state.

FleckSplat said:
Glad to hear Ezio's voice actor getting work after his minimal voice prospects in Skyrim. :p
One thing that hasn't changed - Ezio still sounds like Ezio. Love Roger Craig Smith's work.

LiK

rataven said:
I like this idea; holding on to it. The different art direction is just so jarring, that it's taking me out of the game. I choose to believe it can all be explained away by the Black Room and Desmond's mental state.

it's a good idea but definitely not the reason as i mentioned above.

rataven

LiK said:
it's a good idea but definitely not the reason as i mentioned above.
It's unfortunate then. Again, I think this is the effect of losing Desilets on AC. This new guy seems to be taking things in another direction artistically; one that I'm not fond of.

LiK

rataven said:
It's unfortunate then. Again, I think this is the effect of losing Desilets on AC. This new guy seems to be taking things in another direction artistically; one that I'm not fond of.

yea, kinda wish they held onto the previous Demond face/design for the last game in Ezio's story. They can go nuts with the next one.

rataven

LiK said:
yea, kinda wish they held onto the previous Demond face/design for the last game in Ezio's story. They can go nuts with the next one.
I hope they go nuts with the gameplay and environments for sure, but they need to figure out what the hell to do with Desmond and stick with it. At this point, physically, he's almost wholly undefined. He's had three different models over four games.

The change from ACI to II could be reasoned away with improved graphics etc, but there's nothing to explain the inconsistency between Bro and Rev.

NinjaFridge said:
Anyone else impeded with the games performance? Much improved from the previous games I thought, was a nice surprise.

Yeah, the framerate is a little bit better with less screen tearing compaird to Brootherhood, but Brotherhood looked much sharper (360). AC Revelation has the same "soft" look/image AC 2 had.

Still on the fence.

One thing that I love about AC is the character progression in terms of aesthetics; new pauldrons and vambraces, etc. Is that the same as it has been? Also, is their a "special" suit of armour/cloak to unlock this time around? Would be very disappoint, if not.

I'm feeling it so far, but I haven't gotten as much time in as I'd like due to screaming baby.

I'm going to have to really work the bombs and den defense stuff to get all the bonus weapons and such. I'm to the point now where I am recruiting a few new assassins, in sequence 3, I think.

Top Bottom