• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

CyReN

Is the game just not very enjoyable to anyone else? I loved 2 and Brotherhood. Not sure if it's just because I'm sick either..

Jamesways

Is the game just not very enjoyable to anyone else? I loved 2 and Brotherhood. Not sure if it's just because I'm sick either..

I was the opposite. Got my fill and ended up way too bored of Italy in AC:B, never finished it. I really enjoyed this one.

It is slow though, it really picks up the second half.

I renovated the whole city except for monuments and empty faction buildings, should be getting around 20,000 every 20 minutes but I haven't received anything for hours anyone else had this problem?

The bank vault might be full? You need to withdraw occasionally.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Anyone else missing weapon slots in the wheel?

Are there just not enough weapons to fill two whole wheels?
I wondered about that too, I'm fairly sure I bought all types of weapons but I still finished the game with two blank slots, one in each wheel.

sangreal

No, I mean, my Master Assassins are fully leveled and locked down to an Assassin's Den. Is it impossible for me to do den defense (the tower defense minigame) now since that would imply they would defend it themselves? I need to finish the Assassin's check list.

Also, how do I level up other assassins if these dens are already occupied? I have like 12 assassin's stuck at level 10.

I haven't messed with the feature, but you can remove assassins from your squad by assigning them to run other cities. What happens if you remove a den master?

sangreal

Any tips on the coward guard den caption that keeps running away? I can't nab the guy and there is a bug where the crossbow won't kill him.

Funny typo, because the caption shows up for me every time Constantinople loads. You can use the arrow storm to kill him (and every other den) btw

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Funny typo, because the caption shows up for me every time Constantinople loads. You can use the arrow storm to kill him (and every other den) btw
lol yeah, that repeating prompt. I love the caps "KILL the COWARD Den Captain before he escapes".

MG310

[EDIT] - Lol! Yeah, I'm getting mixed up. You have to save all of the citizens before you reach the tower to get full sync on that mission. You can't do anything about the hostages that are killed off as you approach the target.

Thanks for the help guys - it was a glitch - the black/white circles that show where the civilians are being attacked were not showing up at all for me until I ran through it a few times and restarted once I got to the tower. The final time the first one showed up pretty much right when I started the mision.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It isn't as good as Brotherhood.

I don't agree. I didn't like Rome's grayish colors and the overall city, thought the game was often looking ugly with all the popin everywhere, and the FPS was really bad on PS3, I ended up stopping soon after a few missions in Rome. Just the look of Constantinople alone makes hooks me up enough to keep on playing, everything is much more polished art-wise, so that helps a lot to keep an interest and go forward. The free-running is much more fun too, probably because of how organic the city is.

Outside of that, it's a typical AC game. I personally enjoy it far more than ACB, but it's definitly not very different.

Man, this Master Assassin mission(The Champion, Part 2) is giving me the blues.

I'm trying to get 100% sync. You're supposed to prevent this herald from taking any damage, but I'm having a tough time keeping these guys off of him. It seems harder than it has been before to switch targets between sword swings, and these guys don't waste time going for this guy.

Smoke Bombs help, but they don't last long enough, and I don't have enough. :I
I had to retry that mission at least 15 times. I used the smoke bomb strategy. I kept getting distracted by one guy and messing up the counter kill chain.

I haven't messed with the feature, but you can remove assassins from your squad by assigning them to run other cities. What happens if you remove a den master?
I don't know how to remove a den master.

sangreal

I had to retry that mission at least 15 times. I used the smoke bomb strategy. I kept getting distracted by one guy and messing up the counter kill chain.

I don't know how to remove a den master.

In Med. Defense the cities all have slots you can assign assassins to. I think you select the city and hit X

Irish

I have yet to use a single bomb....

Well, there's your problem. Bombs are useful as hell. I would either lure him out with a cherry bomb or toss a caltrop bomb on him to prevent him from running allowing you to go in for the kill.

___

To me, it seems like if your preferred AC 1 to ACII, you'll probably end up liking Revelations more than Brotherhood.

Well, there's your problem. Bombs are useful as hell. I would either lure him out with a cherry bomb or toss a caltrop bomb on him to prevent him from running allowing you to go in for the kill.

___

To me, it seems like if your preferred AC 1 to ACII, you'll probably end up liking Revelations more than Brotherhood.

Not true. I like AC1 more than II. Just didnt like the bombs. Felt gimmicky. For me, the games (in terms of likability) are AC1 = Brotherhood > AC2 = Revelations

I got him to flee his cover then got him with an arrow storm.

I don't agree. I didn't like Rome's grayish colors and the overall city, thought the game was often looking ugly with all the popin everywhere, and the FPS was really bad on PS3, I ended up stopping soon after a few missions in Rome. Just the look of Constantinople alone makes hooks me up enough to keep on playing, everything is much more polished art-wise, so that helps a lot to keep an interest and go forward. The free-running is much more fun too, probably because of how organic the city is.

Outside of that, it's a typical AC game. I personally enjoy it far more than ACB, but it's definitly not very different.

But you didn't play through Brotherhood. I did, and maxed out my MP rank at 50.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I got him to flee his cover then got him with an arrow storm.

But you didn't play through Brotherhood. I did, and maxed out my MP rank at 50.

I didn't play it through because I didn't like it:p That was my point. ACR manages to keep me hooked, almost like AC2 did.

To me it goes:

AC2>ACR>ACB>AC1, although I miss the setpiece assassinations from AC1, and the overall less gamey presentation.

In fact I wish there was a LOT less interface and HUD and reticules and such in AC, and the Animus should be presented like in AC1 where you saw it in first person, but it should be expanded.

I want more immersion and as little HUD as possible.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

MG310

Hrm...doesn't appear like I got anything for 100 percent sync or 100 Animus Fragments...curious why they even existed beyond the amount you need for the Animus Island stuff.

ZealousD

Anybody else feel like the developers are essentially taking for granted that if you're playing Revelations, that you've played and beaten every previous game in the series? If AC:R was my first AC game, I'd be as confused as shit. Stuff like the brotherhood management, templar dens, and the shop rebuilding is just kind of thrown at you and not explained very well.

It seems like the way they're going about this series is that each new installment sort of builds on top of the one before it and they expect you to have played the previous games. AC2 took most of the template of AC1 and built on and improved upon it. AC:B took AC2 and built new features on of it and improved on some aspects. AC:R is taking AC:B and builds on top it it, etc. AC1 appears to be the only "skippable" game in the series thus far.

sangreal

Anybody else feel like the developers are essentially taking for granted that if you're playing Revelations, that you've played and beaten every previous game in the series?

It seems like the way they're going about this series is that each new installment sort of builds on top of the one before it. AC2 took most of the template of AC1 and built on and improved upon it. AC:B took AC2 and built new features on of it and improved on some aspects. AC:R is taking AC:B and builds on top it it, etc. If AC:R was my first AC game, I'd be as confused as shit. AC1 appears to be the only "skippable" game in the series thus far.

I appreciate that. I was annoyed enough by the little recapping that exists in AC:R

I don't know about AC1 being skippable... it was pretty important to the AC:R story but I guess they rehash everything you need to know.

Ending Spoiler
Can someone explain to me
how the Apple of Eden was still in Altair's sealed tomb? Are there two apples? The Apple that Desmond has is the one Ezio had, which is obviously not the one he left in Altair's tomb

I appreciate that. I was annoyed enough by the little recapping that exists in AC:R

Yeah I appreciate the way the tutorials were handled this time around as well.

Only ones you really had to do were the bomb making and Den defence and they are both new elements so it makes sense.

ZealousD

I'm not saying it's a bad thing for those of us who are following the series intently, but anybody who jumps right in to this game is going to be SO lost by pretty much everything. I wonder if this is just a thing that's happening within the Ezio trilogy or if AC3 is going to do the same thing and just keep trucking right along on this trend.

SamuraiX-

It seems like the way they're going about this series is that each new installment sort of builds on top of the one before it and they expect you to have played the previous games. AC2 took most of the template of AC1 and built on and improved upon it. AC:B took AC2 and built new features on of it and improved on some aspects. AC:R is taking AC:B and builds on top it it, etc. AC1 appears to be the only "skippable" game in the series thus far.

You're acting like that's a bad thing.

Irish

I kinda like that aspect of the series though.. where each games continues to build on the mechanics of the last one without really taking anything away. My family stopped by earlier in the week and I, myself was amazed as I went on for like ten to twenty minutes without really using the same mechanic twice.

I don't know about AC1 being skippable... it was pretty important to the AC:R story but I guess they rehash everything you need to know.

Ending Spoiler
Can someone explain to me
how the Apple of Eden was still in Altair's sealed tomb? Are there two apples? The Apple that Desmond has is the one Ezio had, which is obviously not the one he left in Altair's tomb

There have been a lot of apples throughout history.

ZealousD

You're acting like that's a bad thing.

For some people, sure. I don't know if it's the result of a concerted effort by Ubisoft to get people to play all installments in the series or not but that's the end result. Good number of people skipped AC:B and are probably skipping AC:R while they wait for the "real" sequel. But if AC3 takes AC:R and does more "adding" and not enough "revising" (mechnically speaking) than there are going to be people that will be overwhelmed by AC3, and maybe not in a good way.

sangreal

There have been a lot of apples throughout history.

I know that AC2 credits the apple for most of history's major events and leaders, but I always assumed it was one apple that got around. Guess that was a poor assumption on my part -- the fact that Desmond recovered Ezio's apple made that clear now that I think of it. That makes AC:R pretty pointless from a story perspective though. It gives closure to the player, but Ezio's entire quest was for something that neither he nor Desmond are after.

Irish

If it wasn't for the greek fire engine, I would love the hell out of Den Defense. Of course, they probably should have made it a lot more open and not completely locked Ezio in place. If you could move freely about, I think it would have been a lot better. Then they could introduce the mechanics of that into the regular free roam.

Also, I think you can just bypass the den defense by just not accepting.

If it wasn't for the greek fire engine, I would love the hell out of Den Defense. Of course, they probably should have made it a lot more open and not completely locked Ezio in place. If you could move freely about, I think it would have been a lot better. Then they could introduce the mechanics of that into the regular free roam.

Also, I think you can just bypass the den defense by just not accepting.

But there are locked shops I can't buy because of it. All the towers have been lit.

Sai

There's definitely room for improvement. But I think Den Defense works well as it is, being something of a penalty for getting carried away in the city. The Den Defense and changes to notoriety seem to be there for the purpose of making you more cautions of your actions. At least, until you take the extra effort to secure your dens with your recruits.

But there are locked shops I can't buy because of it. All the towers have been lit.
Wait... Bypassing the Den Defense just brings the Den, and area under Templar control—same result as if you had lost the Den Defense, right?

You killed the Templar Captain, lit the tower, and the shops are still locked? That's odd.

MrDaravon

I really don't understand the design/usability choices they made with this game. I absolutely fucking love AC2/Brotherhood, but they just added so many additional layers of things that either aren't user friendly, or are actually bad.

-Den Defense is fucking terrible. If you could actually pan out the camera in a useful way that would allow you to easily see the map and the type of units you have out, or at the very least pause the game when you do something similar it wouldn't be THAT bad. But man, it sucks. As a result I've spent most of the 15 or so hours I've spent on the game completely ignoring the story to max out assassins to lock down Dens so I never have to do it again (after intentionally doing 3 to get the one Assassins Challenge). This also means that I am constantly having to go out of my way to bribe heralds or kill the templars that bring awareness down.

-The (apparently) respawning bomb material chests out in the world are somewhat baffling. They don't show up on the Treasure maps (which was really fucking with me at first as it took me a while to figure out the difference), and they also seem unnecessary as enemies drop materials all the time, as well as the respawning chests full of them in your dens, plus the million dudes all over the place that will sell you bombs. Running around the city I can hear the sound of the chests with them all the goddamn time, and it's annoying.

-Mediterranean Defense: Fuck This. I actually didn't really have a problem with it until I realize that no matter what you do you cannot lock down cities. Even with 5 assassins at level 10 in a city at 100% control, there is literally nothing you can do to stop the control % from going down. I only have about half of the cities in my control, all with 5 level 10 assassins in them, and it's a goddamn nonstop micromanagement nightmare to barely keep everything in control with sending people on quests, as well as continuously having to recuit new assassins in the city to make up for the ones you are assigning to other cities. At this point I'll probably just keep it up until I cap all the cities and get the achievement, then just let them take everything. I don't understand why they couldn't have kept the cities on permanent lock-down if you got 5 assassins assigned to it. On a related note, the ticker onscreen when quests are completed/dudes leveling up is ridiculous; at one point I actually timed two minutes and fifty-one seconds of literally nonstop audio cue/popup telling me that people had leveled up/could be assigned to dens/quests complete/materials gained/etc. Again, what the fuck.

-Game is way, way glitchier than past games (which were already a little janky). So far I've seen a million people spawn in mid-air/sideways, been killed in cutscenes because enemies continued to attack and hurt me, had invincible enemies that wouldn't die, enemies that once killed would have their character model expand and spin wildly until they got to be about probably 50-60 feet high then disappear, and a million other things. I've read about a ton of gamebreaking bugs on other forums, and right now I may be fucked because I have open assassin slots, but every time I get within about 40 meters of a Recruit Assassin marker on the map, they completely magically disappear.

I can't even really comment on the story yet because I've been getting totally bogged down in all the crap above. I loved Brotherhood and felt it struck a fairly good balance between ridiculous micromanagement/bullshit, but I'm just completely baffled by the way they just seemingly dogpiled shit on top of this one. And almost all of my complaints above (technical issues/glitches aside) could have been completely fixed with a few very minor usability fixes. I just don't understand, and it's really, really disappointing. This was my most anticipated game this year, and I bit the bullet on picking it up day 1 because of that even though I knew it was going to be $35 on Black Friday, and I'm really regretting that. It's still a great game overall, but I'm definitely in the camp with the 7 and 8 review scores (and I would have given the last two games 9s or 10s). I really hope they're taking what they got tasked with in the reviews to heart for AC3, but given the dev cycle they have on these I don't know that they can/will :/.

Think my game is bugged somehow, Assassin Guild challenge says I've only got 11/12 recruits, but I've finished the game and there aren't any markers.

Sai

-Mediterranean Defense: Fuck This. I actually didn't really have a problem with it until I realize that no matter what you do you cannot lock down cities. Even with 5 assassins at level 10 in a city at 100% control, there is literally nothing you can do to stop the control % from going down.
Wow, really? I was going to start working on that once I got seven of my recruits to Master Assassin.

Maybe, just as your dens are locked down once you assign a Master Assassin to them, the cities in Mediterranean Defense would be locked down in a similar manner? I asked about this earlier, but didn't get a reply.

Think my game is bugged somehow, Assassin Guild challenge says I've only got 11/12 recruits, but I've finished the game and there aren't any markers.
You can assign Assassins to other cities in the Mediterranean Defense game once you've taken control of them, which will allow you to recruit more Assassins.

Opportunities to recruit more Assassins will also open up if any of them die in battle, or missions in the Mediterranean Defense game.

MrDaravon

Wow, really? I was going to start working on that once I got seven of my recruits to Master Assassin.

Maybe, just as your dens are locked down once you assign a Master Assassin to them, the cities in Mediterranean Defense would be locked down in a similar manner? I asked about this earlier, but didn't get a reply.

Nope, I confirmed that as well online and in the guide, there is literally nothing you can do to permanently lock cities in MD, they will always lose control no matter what.

You can assign Assassins to other cities in the Mediterranean Defense game once you've taken control of them, which will allow you to recruit more Assassins.

Opportunities to recruit more Assassins will also open up if any of them die in battle, or missions in the Mediterranean Defense game.

What benefit is there to assigning assassins though?

Wait... Bypassing the Den Defense just brings the Den, and area under Templar control—same result as if you had lost the Den Defense, right?

You killed the Templar Captain, lit the tower, and the shops are still locked? That's odd.

Been waiting for days now. Now there is no captain and I can't light the towers.

MrDaravon

What benefit is there to assigning assassins though?

It ups the maximum % control you can have over a city, based on the assassin's level. When you take over a city your maximum possible control % is 50%, and you can get it to 100% by assigning assassins. I know their individual level factors in to how much it raises the cap, but I'm not sure if you actually have to have all 5 assigned to get to 100%. Also you can do missions to start getting money as well as XP coming in from the cities, and the XP goes to the assassins you have assigned to that city so you can level them up that way. Personally I've just been assigning a bunch of level 1 assassins to a city so when the "day" ends they're all going up a bunch of levels.

Again, this all winds up being useless in hindsight (excluding the achievement/trophy) because you have to invest a lot of money into cities to start getting payouts, and it's very long term investment (I think it's always a 10:1 ratio, so for example you have to invest 1500 into a mission that gives you 150 back every 20 minutes). But honestly at this point I've bought everything in the city but maybe 4 or 5 landmarks, and I'm absolutely nowhere near making my money back on what I've invested into it yet, and probably will wind up buying everything remaining before I actually start to make any money back.

Irish

Been waiting for days now. Now there is no captain and I can't light the towers.

Did you actually go to the den and not accept the defense in the menu? I'm wondering if that will automatically give it to the templars.

-Game is way, way glitchier than past games (which were already a little janky). So far I've seen a million people spawn in mid-air/sideways, been killed in cutscenes because enemies continued to attack and hurt me, had invincible enemies that wouldn't die, enemies that once killed would have their character model expand and spin wildly until they got to be about probably 50-60 feet high then disappear, and a million other things. I've read about a ton of gamebreaking bugs on other forums, and right now I may be fucked because I have open assassin slots, but every time I get within about 40 meters of a Recruit Assassin marker on the map, they completely magically disappear.

Hm... never had any of this happen to me and the bolded part seems like a GPU issue.

Hm... never had any of this happen to me and the bolded part seems like a GPU issue.

I had this happen to a guard on a roof, he spawned half way into the roof so I killed him with a knife. His body went crazy spinning and expanding and flying off into the air then just disappeared.

rataven

I had this happen to a guard on a roof, he spawned half way into the roof so I killed him with a knife. His body went crazy spinning and expanding and flying off into the air then just disappeared.

Ha, I just had this happen too. The guard was a rifleman who's aim was still impeccable, but more than half his body was buried in the rooftop.

I've also seen random citizen NPCs scale up market stands to go chill on the roofs. Guards never seem to mind them up there! But Ezio, noooo, gotta shoot him down.

Ha, I just had this happen too. The guard was a rifleman who's aim was still impeccable, but more than half his body was buried in the rooftop.

I've also seen random citizen NPCs scale up market stands to go chill on the roofs. Guards never seem to mind them up there! But Ezio, noooo, gotta shoot him down.

Maybe they just don't like people with hoods on.

sangreal

Once my dens turn yellow can I get them back without doing the tower defense? Please tell me yes.

Just lose the tower defense and it will turn into a normal Templar's den. Tower defense is super easy though, and you get xp/money.

If you're having trouble -- one thing they don't tell you is that you can change your units on that first unit summary screen. Also, riflemen tear through the siege units (and everything else, except those assassin units that you have to shoot manually)

Top Bottom