• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

d00d3n

As a huge fan of the series I was very disappointed with the free form assassination missions (killing den captains, climbing the tower). The missions have been simplified too much in order to work with the den defense concept. I guess Ubi figured that it would be frustrating to retake dens if the missions were too complicated. This was probably the right conclusion given that den defense must be in the game, but I have to disagree with the decision to include den defense to the detriment of free form assassin missions.

In brotherhood the borgia captains were interesting puzzles to figure out, with a multitude of tactical options and fantastic tension. The countryside between areas made it possible to create isolated challenges that were resistant to the lamest abuse solutions. The increased length and complexity of the missions made them more interesting. In Revelations I went through all the den captain missions in like one hour (as a sidenote, without playing den defense more than the one time the game requires you to), and if there were puzzle elements in them at all it seems like a blur to me in hindsight. I kind of remember throwing bombs in rifle lookout posts to be able to climb a tower, but that is it.

The game seems solid overall and I even kind of liked den defense, but it is frustrating to see the most promising aspect of the last game in the series being diminished like this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The first mission of Sequence 7 is a pain in the arse. I keep being detected as a result of stupid little mistakes, such as inadvertently air-assassinating when thinking I had my throwing knives equipped.

Edit: It's finally out of the way.

Stay tuned, they get even better! The tombs are quality stuff in Rev. The controls really shine in the dedicated plat-forming sections, and I'm stoked they made these levels part of the main story. Hope this means more to come in the future.

I completed them all today. :) Great fun. I was worried that Maiden Tower would be vexatious when attempting to achieve full sync, but it was probably the easiest.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn, I just finished watching Embers and that ending should have been the ending of Revelations. The stuff before it was kinda lame though.

I did like the art-style they went with.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Damn, I just finished watching Embers and that ending should have been the ending of Revelations. The stuff before it was kinda lame though.

I did like the art-style they went with.

I liked Embers more than Revelations in its entirety. It's pretty shallow, but it's purrty and emotional. And it actually moves the story forward in a way.

What bothered me in Rev was that they paid no where near enough attention to Ezio and Sophia.

I have not seen Embers, but I did just finish this game. Is it odd that although I was incredibly invested in the major plot points of the game but I was equally if not more into Ezio and Sofia?

I actually enjoyed the game a lot and the ending had a lot to do with that but my biggest gripe were the Desmond sections, of which I admittedly only did two. Couldn't keep going. I hated it.

Just finished the game today and haven't really read this thread to know if I'll be drawn and quartered for this opinion, but man, this game was kinda terrible. For the record? I loved AC2 and was sour on Brotherhood but it wasn't a bad game or anything.

qp32X.jpg

This, though? Kind of a bad game! At its very best, it is a game from 2009 with a mountain of unfun shit on top of it. It throws things at you that are "optional," which is a nice way to say "awful, but you mostly don't have to do them." The previous games had optional things, too, but they weren't bad.

If you go through the game totally ignoring that stuff, which is impossible because sometimes the story forces you in to it and the rest of the time you have to grind away notoriety in order to not be punished with that simply putrid tower defense game (except this time they removed the easier ways to do that, like ripping away posters), then you still mostly have an old game that has learned nothing in the last two years. The stealth is awful in a way that is no longer acceptable, the glitchiness, the terrible UI, all of it contributes to a frustrating experience.

Everyone always yells at me when I say the yearly cycle is killing Assassin's Creed and now I feel upset for being right. I don't want AC to get worse and worse, I quite like the series when it's not attempting to be yearly crapware. Ubisoft needs to shape the fuck up, because if AC3 doesn't deliver, I'm ready to just write the whole series off as having gotten all the blood it could from that stone.

aparisi2274

Just finished the game, and I thought it was a nice conclusion to the Ezio storyline.

What I liked was:

- Altair's story progression. Glad to see what happened to him over his life.
- Ezio & Sophia
- Galata Tower Masayf Key. That was like some hardcore Uncharted level there.
- Yusef (I was pissed to see what happened to him)
- The entire 9th Sequence!

What I absolutely hated:

- Protecting your assassin Dens. I despise Tower Defense games and it should not have been in this game, which is why I did not protect a single den.

Also, from the way you guys are speaking of the Desmond missions, I am glad I skipped those too.

Now I need to watch Embers and call it a night!

Dany

Banned
Just finished the game, and I thought it was a nice conclusion to the Ezio storyline.

What I liked was:

- Altair's story progression. Glad to see what happened to him over his life.
- Ezio & Sophia
- Galata Tower Masayf Key. That was like some hardcore Uncharted level there.
- Yusef (I was pissed to see what happened to him)
- The entire 9th Sequence!

What I absolutely hated:

- Protecting your assassin Dens. I despise Tower Defense games and it should not have been in this game, which is why I did not protect a single den.

Also, from the way you guys are speaking of the Desmond missions, I am glad I skipped those too.

Now I need to watch Embers and call it a night!

I liked the Forum of the Ox, the transition between caverns to bright daylight was breathtaking but it was fairly narrow that one.

Embers is good, really liked it and yeah, the tower defense was dumb but at most you should only have to do 3-4 to realize you need to bribe every herald if your awareness is over 1/2.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I hate literally everything about the Desmond sections.
The only positive about them is that I now have a few hundred desktop wallpapers. 8)

Also, I really liked the last scene of the fourth one. The cars and the lights and the camera worked so well. Too bad it was so brief.

JaseC

What's with Additional Memories not being labelled as completed despite everything therein being done? Ubi leaving the category open for DLC, I assume?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just beat it and enjoyed it. Like most others though I found most of the new stuff to be either pointless or poorly done. Hell I didn't use a single bomb outside of the story mission where you're forced too and stopped doing tower defense once I learned I could bribe heralds and pickpocket the cash back.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What's with Additional Memories not being labelled as completed despite everything therein being done? Ubi leaving the category open for DLC, I assume?

You mean the Hagia Sofia thing? There is another tomb/lair that was exclusive to the special editions. When they did this with prior games in the series it eventually came out for everyone who bought the DLC.

REV 09

i actually like the bombs and the hook blade. I've only done 1 den defense so far, which i didn't care for, but i don't think i'll have to do it again. Taking over the dens seems like a slight step back...not sure why though. They seem too hard (guards are everywhere). You almost have to take out every single guard before you can manage to kill the person that you're after. Brotherhood wasn't like this.

JaseC

You mean the Hagia Sofia thing? There is another tomb/lair that was exclusive to the special editions. When they did this with prior games in the series it eventually came out for everyone who bought the DLC.

The additional memories are the viewpoints, Animus data fragments, memoir pages and treasures. Even though treasures are split between Constantinople and hidden locations, hidden locations is ticked off. I Googled and apparently the pre-order/retailer exclusive/whatever-it-is bonus tomb isn't factored into the overall progress, though I do recall, as you said, this being the case in previous games.

So, it seems that whatever is preventing the Additional Memories section from being completed hasn't been released at all.

Seda

I just got this game but haven't started it yet. What seems to be a general consensus. I can gather that the 'Tower Defense' sections and 'Desmond' sections suck but what else?

I really liked AC2 and Brotherhood was a notch above that.

JaseC

I just got this game but haven't started it yet. What seems to be a general consensus. I can gather that the 'Tower Defense' sections and 'Desmond' sections suck but what else?

I really likes AC2 and Brotherhood was a notch above that.

Assuming you're one for secondary objectives, don't bother with the guild contract component (sending your assassins on missions) once you've levelled up 7 of your best to Master as it's impossible to truly own any of the territories (i.e. control them to the point where your occasional guiding hand is no longer required).

Midou

Everyone always yells at me when I say the yearly cycle is killing Assassin's Creed and now I feel upset for being right. I don't want AC to get worse and worse, I quite like the series when it's not attempting to be yearly crapware. Ubisoft needs to shape the fuck up, because if AC3 doesn't deliver, I'm ready to just write the whole series off as having gotten all the blood it could from that stone.

I was a person who always believed the cycle was fine, since the games were still fun, I've only played a couple hours of Revelations, but I'm not feeling it as much. For one, the art style makes all the characters unrecognizable...

At least I imagine with AC3, they will probably go out of their way to optimize what works and remove what doesn't.

Yeesh, most of sequence 5 missions have sucked. I did really enjoy the one in 4 though. It's always a good thing to see a bit of humor in the series.

The 'A' button on the 360 when your really close to a peep I believe.

Oh, ok thanks. I don't remember having to be this close to them in Brotherhood.

ultron87

Pick pocketing every single person I walk past is one of my favorite things about AC games.

I also love that this game added the hook blade trip move which, as far as I can tell, has the sole purpose of being a dick to pedestrians.

REV 09

Pick pocketing every single person I walk past is one of my favorite things about AC games.

I also love that this game added the hook blade trip move which, as far as I can tell, has the sole purpose of being a dick to pedestrians.

the hookblade is great. i don't see why anyone would dislike it. I think it adds quite a bit to the pacing of some of the platforming sections.

Mest30

Banned
You can also replay the tutorial if you want to get the den-related Achievement and complete the Assassin's Guild defend three dens mission.

You sure about that? The tutorial one is the only one I've done successfully and according to my guild challenge page, I've done 0/3. Does it not count the first time? It's the only thing I have to complete for the assassins guild.

MjFrancis

For the Sage achievement, I'm short on books.
I bought all of the books in Cappadocia
. But I noticed I'm missing the second to last notch in the Books DNA sequence. Any advice on what this is or how I missed this is more than welcomed.

Also, I can't believe how much fun I've been having just mopping up the SP achievements while screwing around Constantinople. This AC brings little more to the table than the Brotherhood did, but it's fun to screw around in a new playground.

aparisi2274

So as I sit here at work analyzing the ending to Revelations, a thought popped into my head and maybe someone here has some clarification on it:

I will spoil tag it just in case...

At the end of Rev, Ezio finds the Apple, but dares not touch it because he feels he is not yet worthy of its power, and then he starts to speak with Desmond and then the first people. What is confusing to me is that at the end of Brotherhood, doesn't Desmond and his team find the Apple in a secret underground sancutary, where he is ultimately controlled by it and then subsequently kills Lucy?

How did the Apple get from Masayf to a secret location in Rome?

I wonder if it is explained in Embers...

So as I sit here at work analyzing the ending to Revelations, a thought popped into my head and maybe someone here has some clarification on it:

I will spoil tag it just in case...

At the end of Rev, Ezio finds the Apple, but dares not touch it because he feels he is not yet worthy of its power, and then he starts to speak with Desmond and then the first people. What is confusing to me is that at the end of Brotherhood, doesn't Desmond and his team find the Apple in a secret underground sancutary, where he is ultimately controlled by it and then subsequently kills Lucy?

How did the Apple get from Masayf to a secret location in Rome?

I wonder if it is explained in Embers...

I believe there might be more than one apple. Remember Assassin's Creed 1 ending with Altair seeing the map of earth, showing a bunch of locations of "pieces of eden".

aparisi2274

I believe there might be more than one apple. Remember Assassin's Creed 1 ending with Altair seeing the map of earth, showing a bunch of locations of "pieces of eden".

I remember that, but I guess my question is:

Did Ezio find another Apple somewhere else and hide that under Rome? Or was that just an Apple that was hidden there by the first people and Desmond was the first to come across it?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
For the Sage achievement, I'm short on books.
I bought all of the books in Cappadocia
. But I noticed I'm missing the second to last notch in the Books DNA sequence. Any advice on what this is or how I missed this is more than welcomed.

To see how many books you're missing go to the library in the main Assassin's Den, all of the books you have collected will be displayed on the shelves. I don't remember how many total books, but if you see a display case with no book on it you are missing that book. I'm guessing 4-5 books you have to find and collect from the city rather than buy from a bookstore.

I hate literally everything about the Desmond sections.

Really. I actually liked it a ton. Just wish that they had included the glyph stuff too.

Tower defense is bad but I think they could fix it if they just let you run around with Ezio. instead of having to be stationary. It would be an easy fix and make it a lot more fun.

And yeah, kinda sucks they removed the posters but in a way it makes sense because the poster mechanic was kinda broken. They probably needed to have less posters around because it was too easy just to take down a few posters here and there and then all of a sudden the whole massive city would be off your back.

REV 09

And yeah, kinda sucks they removed the posters but in a way it makes sense because the poster mechanic was kinda broken. They probably needed to have less posters around because it was too easy just to take down a few posters here and there and then all of a sudden the whole massive city would be off your back.

the posters were kind of dumb. i got tired of seeing that animation play out and having my map cluttered with posters. The heralds are easy and cheap to bribe and killing the officials or whatever they're called is at least an "assassination". it works well enough without the posters, and i've never been summoned back to defend a den.

Curufinwe

You sure about that? The tutorial one is the only one I've done successfully and according to my guild challenge page, I've done 0/3. Does it not count the first time? It's the only thing I have to complete for the assassins guild.

You don't credit for the original defense - you have to replay the memory three times after that. Don't use the cannon on one of them to get this Achievement, then install Master Assassins at every den and you won't have to worry about awareness or den defense again.

Iron Curtain
Perform a perfect den defense without using the cannon.

JaseC

I forgot to mention that I finished the game yesterday. Steam says 78 hours all up, but that includes alt-tabbing to GAF and the night I left it running while I was out. Closing thoughts:

- As I've said before, I love the tombs/lairs. In addition to the slight in-game economics (what can I say? I enjoy buying up the city), they're my favourite gameplay aspect of the series (not including the player-driven approach to assassinations of the original game)

- I loathed the Desmond sequences and the fact that guild contracts now require occasional attention.

- I didn't mind the Den Defense mode owing to it being easily avoidable and almost insultingly simple, but even if the concept weren't half-baked the series is better off without it.

- Bomb crafting is superfluous and I would have preferred the game to forgo it in favour of bomb merchants.

- I take no issue with Templar awareness increasing when property is purchased, however I disagree with the decision to remove the wanted posters.

- The hookblade is a nice addition, if only for the spectacular air assassinations that result from ziplining.

- Aside from the ending, the story is virtually non-existent, which would explain why the campaign feels (and most probably is) shorter than that of previous games. Echoing the thoughts of others, I would have liked the relationship of Ezio and Sofia to play a larger role.

- There being only 1.25 cities in the game was disappointing. I thought I'd read prior to release that there were more locations, but clearly I misremembered. While Constantinople and Rome are certainly larger than the largest cities of AC and AC2, I do like the sense of variety offered by the latter two games. In contrast, by the end of both Brotherhood and Revelations I had grown tired of the setting.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game. It's definitely a step down from Brotherhood and 2, but certainly worth playing if - like me - you're a fan of the series for reasons beyond the Desmond/Animus protagonist storylines.

alf717

I just finished the game a few hours back and felt the ending was well done and emotional as well. I'm glad I got to experience this game from beginning to end in one year all one my PC. It all started this summer with the Steam summer sale with AC2 for only $7.49. I played AC1 on release day on PC and enjoyed the game a lot but didn't pay much attention to the series since. AC2 really capture my interested again with the series and I just wanted to play more and more AC since. Brotherhood followed in late summer then Rev this Nov. Looking back you really get a sense of how it was to be Ezio I have never seen that in a game before. From the beginning of AC2 you start as an infant Ezio and watch Ezio grow in the man he has become.

Embers ending spoiler:

If I understood the ending correctly. The man that sits next to Ezio killed him correct?

I'm labeling this as my game of this generation of gaming.

Grisby

I'm glad to hear people are enjoying the ending. I'm kinda rushing to see it. Ezio is such a great character.

Also, I wish we would have gotten a full Altair game after playing a few of his sequences. The last one I just got done with was a bit touching.

Top Bottom