• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Mest30

Banned
How do you send thieves against guards? I hire them, have them follow me to guards, and when I get to guards, the only options I have for them are stop or follow. Are there only certain guards they can distract?

How do you send thieves against guards? I hire them, have them follow me to guards, and when I get to guards, the only options I have for them are stop or follow. Are there only certain guards they can distract?

You have to target the guard first then a prompt (I believe circle) will come up to distract.

I'm thinking of picking up the game but need some questions answered about multiplayer. can you help?

On 360, how long is the free trial for the multiplayer?

On PC, how active is the multiplayer community, is it well populated?

rataven

So that's a wrap. Just completed the game. Mostly loved it, and the ending has kind of left me without words. Very emotional, not just in what you see and find, but also in knowing it's our last hurrah with these characters. Dam if I'm not going to miss Ezio.

Spoiler for the final sequence:
After opening the library and taking a few tentative steps into it's center, I just stopped and stared as soon as I realized what was there. Dam if that moment doesn't go down in history for me as one of gaming's finest scenes. Chilling and yet very touching to see our two assassins finally meet.

And spoiler for what we DIDN'T get in the end:
Really disappointed we didn't see Ezio's homecoming in Florence. In his final letter to Claudia, he mentions he hopes his next words to her are in person, and I admittedly got a little giddy thinking we'd have some kind of reunion with her, Maria, Leonardo, Machiavelli, the whole crew. And we got bupkis. As much as I loved the new characters in Rev, I missed the old ones just as much, and wish we'd had a chance to see them off.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Really disappointed we didn't see Ezio's homecoming in Florence. In his final letter to Claudia, he mentions he hopes his next words to her are in person, and I admittedly got a little giddy thinking we'd have some kind of reunion with her, Maria, Leonardo, Machiavelli, the whole crew. And we got bupkis. As much as I loved the new characters in Rev, I missed the old ones just as much, and wish we'd had a chance to see them off.

Yeah, I was expecting
to see at least Claudia

After opening the library and taking a few tentative steps into it's center, I just stopped and stared as soon as I realized what was there. Dam if that moment doesn't go down in history for me as one of gaming's finest scenes. Chilling and yet very touching to see our two assassins finally meet.

Agreed. After going through so much with Ezio, staring the whole journey with Altair and then hearing and reading about his exploits throughout the next games, I feel like you really got to know both.

And that scene with them finally coming face-to-face, two common souls, in a moment of peace and understanding, was great.

So that's a wrap. Just completed the game. Mostly loved it, and the ending has kind of left me without words. Very emotional, not just in what you see and find, but also in knowing it's our last hurrah with these characters. Dam if I'm not going to miss Ezio.

You'll get your wish in Embers. Go watch it now

I loved the ending. I was one of the few people who thought ACII's ending was the perfect tragic way to end Ezio's rather tragic life.
Him remaining behind in the dark with more questions than answers, it was the perfect way for his character to go out. So for him to now be in the dark again, still with more questions than answers, but now realizing that it's not his to understand... Man, beautiful.

Haunted

Just finished the game today and haven't really read this thread to know if I'll be drawn and quartered for this opinion, but man, this game was kinda terrible. For the record? I loved AC2 and was sour on Brotherhood but it wasn't a bad game or anything.

This, though? Kind of a bad game! At its very best, it is a game from 2009 with a mountain of unfun shit on top of it. It throws things at you that are "optional," which is a nice way to say "awful, but you mostly don't have to do them." The previous games had optional things, too, but they weren't bad.

If you go through the game totally ignoring that stuff, which is impossible because sometimes the story forces you in to it and the rest of the time you have to grind away notoriety in order to not be punished with that simply putrid tower defense game (except this time they removed the easier ways to do that, like ripping away posters), then you still mostly have an old game that has learned nothing in the last two years. The stealth is awful in a way that is no longer acceptable, the glitchiness, the terrible UI, all of it contributes to a frustrating experience.

Everyone always yells at me when I say the yearly cycle is killing Assassin's Creed and now I feel upset for being right. I don't want AC to get worse and worse, I quite like the series when it's not attempting to be yearly crapware. Ubisoft needs to shape the fuck up, because if AC3 doesn't deliver, I'm ready to just write the whole series off as having gotten all the blood it could from that stone.
Kinda hard to disagree.

I think the core mechanic of free running, climbing, assassination and combat is still solid, but they've made very few advances there since AC1 on PC.

I'm repeating myself at this point, but the thread is large enough: they added so much optional shit on top of the good stuff that it's hard to see what made the series so appealing in the first place.

edit: does anyone actually like the tower defence game? Seems like the best comment I've heard about it was "I didn't compeltely hate it". Probably the worst superfluous addition to a game since ME2's scanning minigame. When game design goes wrong... terrible, terrible stuff. The shitty tower defence, the huge (and misplaced) focus on bomb crafting of all things, adding slow as shit first person bridge builder missions... man.

Sectus

I was hoping we'd see
Ezio going back to his destroyed villa from AC:B as Desmond caught a glimpse of him doing in that game.

edit: does anyone actually like the tower defence game? Seems like the best comment I've heard about it was "I didn't compeltely hate it". Probably the worst superfluous addition to a game since ME2's scanning minigame. When game design goes wrong... terrible, terrible stuff. The shitty tower defence, the huge (and misplaced) focus on bomb crafting of all things, adding slow as shit first person bridge builder missions... man.

I didn't like it. Although it's worth mentioning I don't really like the tower defense genre to begin with.

And there's one thing I realize now is kinda bad about the game after trying other games and then going back to Revelations to try to get a few missed achievements: The menus are slooooooooooooow. Accessing the map and quickly making bombs is more annoying than it should be , every menu transition takes seconds instead of being close to instantaneous.

Kinda hard to disagree.

I think the core mechanic of free running, climbing, assassination and combat is still solid, but they've made very few advances there since AC1 on PC.

I'm repeating myself at this point, but the thread is large enough: they added so much optional shit on top of the good stuff that it's hard to see what made the series so appealing in the first place.

What huge emphasis on bomb-crafting? You don't even have to use the damn things outside a select few missions unless you want 100% sync. I actually enjoyed the new techniques that the different bombs let me come up with, but I also appreciated that those who didn't care for it could pretty much ignore it completely.

Curufinwe

Got all my dens locked down with Master Assassins last night. Actually going on missions with your assassins makes them a lot more interesting than they were in Brotherhood.

Flipyap

I loved the ending. I was one of the few people who thought ACII's ending was the perfect tragic way to end Ezio's rather tragic life.
Him remaining behind in the dark with more questions than answers, it was the perfect way for his character to go out. So for him to now be in the dark again, still with more questions than answers, but now realizing that it's not his to understand... Man, beautiful.
You should play the DaVinci Disappearance DLC for Brotherhood.
Ezio already came to terms with it many years ago. This really was a pointless, redundant ending.
That $10 DLC also covers the only micro-"revelation" from the ending of this game (location of the vault), but in more detail... I don't know about you guys, but I think that's kinda fucked up.

MjFrancis

To see how many books you're missing go to the library in the main Assassin's Den, all of the books you have collected will be displayed on the shelves. I don't remember how many total books, but if you see a display case with no book on it you are missing that book. I'm guessing 4-5 books you have to find and collect from the city rather than buy from a bookstore.
I'm missing exactly one book.

Nevermind, found it.

MightyKAC

Has anyone tried the MP for the PC version yet? I'm on the fence as to whether I wanna buy it on not and I'd love to know if it's as bad as brotherhood was for PC or if it's actually decent this time around?

When he addressed Desmond directly... man. And then when Desmond appeared, and Ezio touched him. Total gratuity, but perfect.

Also.
Always Yelling Jupiter
was fantastic. And was
Jupiter's speech referencing the six extinctions
or was that just me?

Grisby

Finished. I liked and disliked the ending. The Ezio/Altair stuff in the late late game was very cool. The other part, the revelations bit was kinda 'eh',
talking mostly about final scenes with Desmond. I enjoyed the 'fall' cg stuff.

Near the end
when you find Altair, having locked himself away, was pretty powerful stuff for a video game. The camera pan around was great.

Should I pick up Embers tomorrow? Is it worth it?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Finished. I liked and disliked the ending. The Ezio/Altair stuff in the late late game was very cool. The other part, the revelations bit was kinda 'eh',
talking mostly about final scenes with Desmond. I enjoyed the 'fall' cg stuff.

Near the end
when you find Altair, having locked himself away, was pretty powerful stuff for a video game. The camera pan around was great.

Should I pick up Embers tomorrow? Is it worth it?
If you want a little more Ezio? Yeah. It's got a really great ending.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Got all my dens locked down with Master Assassins last night. Actually going on missions with your assassins makes them a lot more interesting than they were in Brotherhood.
Except the missions were very easy and brief. I don't think that makes them interesting. :p

I don't like that they capped assassins at level 10 if they are not a leader, either.

The tower missions that pertained to the Borgia towers seemed a lot more difficult at times, and more put together than these.

The one thing that I absolutely hate is how broken the "platforming" can be on the PC. It can be a nightmare because I use the keyboard and it's not at all intuitive when you have the camera in a fixed location where you kinda have to use WASD and jump to a different location.

I've raged on AC2B because of the mechanic.

Overall, I don't think this game is a real step up from the previous ones. It's still the same game, but with new hat.
Or a hook in this case and bombs.

alf717

Has anyone tried the MP for the PC version yet? I'm on the fence as to whether I wanna buy it on not and I'd love to know if it's as bad as brotherhood was for PC or if it's actually decent this time around?

Multiplayer on PC works well. Although could you specify exactly what it is that worries you about MP on PC? I had zero issues with Brotherhood online other than complex passwords weren't liked when signing in to the multiplayer feature. From what I played of it, it takes you on the standard tutorial and then throws you in a real online match to help you learn. Once you quit it is like it continues a tutorial. I found it to be pretty cool how they did this. My only issues is my internet connection. 5Mbps and a lousy 768K upload are hurting my gameplay experience plus the game nags me that my NAT connection is strict but I've no clue how to fix it. My Xbox nags me about my NAT type as well.

There's an 'IGN Strategize' video on the 360 that has Ezio in-game with his hood down. How have they done this? Pre-order outfit? Magic?

PooBone

I'm at the start of Sequence 9, I plan to finish this game up today after work. So far I'd say I like it better than AC1 but much less than AC2 or Brotherhood. The boring, brown setting probably has a lot to do with it, but that's not all. The tower defense sucks, I've got flashing yellow symbols on my minimap that I just ignore because I don't care. There's no longer any compelling reason to purchase any of the stores, unless you happen to need something from one of them and it isn't open. It's all just become collectibles.

Can't wait to see what they've cooked up for AC3. It will be hard to top the excellence of 2 and Brotherhood though.

Massa

After a very bad start I have to say I really loved this game. It's still an expansion pack compared to something like AC2, but overall it's much better than Brotherhood.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
After a very bad start I have to say I really loved this game. It's still an expansion pack compared to something like AC2, but overall it's much better than Brotherhood.
Yeah, it took me the first couple sequences to warm up to the game too. I'm getting pretty tired of each game starting with two hours of tutorials. Can't they just make that shit optional stuff in the animus menu or something? The first sequence sets the story up in an interesting way and then it's all wasted because the story's pace grinds to a halt immediately after.

MightyKAC

Multiplayer on PC works well. Although could you specify exactly what it is that worries you about MP on PC? I had zero issues with Brotherhood online other than complex passwords weren't liked when signing in to the multiplayer feature. From what I played of it, it takes you on the standard tutorial and then throws you in a real online match to help you learn. Once you quit it is like it continues a tutorial. I found it to be pretty cool how they did this. My only issues is my internet connection. 5Mbps and a lousy 768K upload are hurting my gameplay experience plus the game nags me that my NAT connection is strict but I've no clue how to fix it. My Xbox nags me about my NAT type as well.

MP on PC works, looks and runs fantastic. No problems I've experienced and quite populated.

Thanks for the MP impressions guys I'll probably be looking to grab this one during the Holiday steam sale.

PowderedToast

There's an 'IGN Strategize' video on the 360 that has Ezio in-game with his hood down. How have they done this? Pre-order outfit? Magic?

it's a glitch. on sequence 6 memory 4, watch the cutscene and then when the prompt appears asking you to accept the mission, decline. the game will then load with ezio's hood down, as it was in the cutscene.

it's a really cool glitch, i think it actually looks better.

JaseC

There is absolutely no point to continuing the guild contracts beyond the "Train 7 recruits to the rank of Master Assassin" challenge, as control of territories - even when at 100% and the den populated with Masters - is not persistent.

789shadow

Banned
There is absolutely no point to continuing the guild contracts beyond the "Train 7 recruits to the rank of Master Assassin" challenge, as control of territories - even when at 100% and the den populated with Masters - is not persistent.

Ah, so it's a completely useless feature after enough Master Assassins are trained to lock down your dens?

JaseC

Ah, so it's a completely useless feature after enough Master Assassins are trained to lock down your dens?

In practice, yes. You can't train more than 7 Master Assassins, it's impossible to truly "own" a territory (i.e. you have to occasionally send assassins on missions to keep the percentage above the Templar attack threshold), and while controlling a territory affords you a small continuous stream of coin and bomb ingredients, both are abundant in the game proper.

789shadow

Banned
In practice, yes. You can't train more than 7 Master Assassins, it's impossible to truly "own" a territory, and while controlling a territory affords you a small continuous stream of coin and bomb ingredients, both are abundant in the game proper.

Man, I am so loaded with cash just by renovating stuff here in Constantinople.

it's a glitch. on sequence 6 memory 4, watch the cutscene and then when the prompt appears asking you to accept the mission, decline. the game will then load with ezio's hood down, as it was in the cutscene.

it's a really cool glitch, i think it actually looks better.
Cool, thanks! I was wondering about that too.

789shadow

Banned
I was stupidly rich at one point, but buying the landmarks and final handful of books made me a poor old man again.

Not appreciating how just renovating a shop or buying a map makes the Templars more aware. Really? Guess they had to at least try to make the game difficult.

JaseC

Not appreciating how just renovating a shop or buying a map makes the Templars more aware. Really? Guess they had to at least try to make the game difficult.

The good news is that if you find a herald and bribe him, you can run about 30 meters away, turn around and run back, and bribe him again. Witnesses are still in the game, but they're guarded now and are less common than heralds.

Ranger X

In practice, yes. You can't train more than 7 Master Assassins, it's impossible to truly "own" a territory (i.e. you have to occasionally send assassins on missions to keep the percentage above the Templar attack threshold), and while controlling a territory affords you a small continuous stream of coin and bomb ingredients, both are abundant in the game proper.

I'm not exactly following but I want to know...
So there's 8 Dens but only 7 possible Master Assassins? Therefore there's a Dens you can't protect completely?

And what if you don't send a Master to that country game, is your Den always protected?

789shadow

Banned
So there's 8 Dens but only 7 possible Master Assassins? Therefore there's a Dens you can't protect completely?

And what if you don't send a Master to that country game, is your Den always protected?

Isn't one den automatically protected?

JaseC

IIRC, there are 7 dens and the Assassin HQ/Hideout. You can't assign an assassin to the latter as it's unnecessary.

Yeah, once a den in Constantinople is overseen by a Master, you no longer need to concern yourself with it (the den becomes "locked"); plus, Templars only attack the "unlocked" dens if your notoriety meter is full. Also, sending a Master on a guild contract mission doesn't relinquish his post.

Edit: Clarity.

megamerican

Overall I felt the story, and ending in particular, were better than in Brotherhood. But yeah, I can't shake the feeling that this is a creaky 2009 game with a lot of bolt on bullshit that actually detracts from the main appeal of the game.

Before they add any more dumb mini-games they seriously need to fundamentally revise the movement and stealth mechanics.

789shadow

Banned
IIRC, there are 7 dens and the Assassin HQ/Hideout. You can't assign an assassin to the latter as it's unnecessary.

Yeah, once a den in Constantinople is overseen by a Master, you no longer need to concern yourself with it (the den becomes "locked"); plus, Templars only attack your dens if your notoriety meter fills up. Also, sending a Master on a guild contract mission doesn't relinquish his post.
So once you have seven Masters, you no longer need to give a shit anymore, as that's basically 7 Ezio's doing that awful tower defense for you.

MjFrancis

The optional objective of Sequence 7 Memory 4 is the only thing holding me back from a 100% synchronization of the story sequences.

I'm on my sixth or seventh attempt, don't remember which one I'm on. I was close enough on the last time that, upon failing, I said things that would make a sailor blush. Directing profanities at a lifeless console isn't particularly helpful, I know, but it did make me feel a little bit better.

Off to try, try again.

Top Bottom