• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

THis game is on Amazon today for 35 bucks, the commercials look interesting, and I have never fully played an AC game before. I remember watching my roomate play 1 and it looked boring as all hell. Other than that I've had no experience with these. Is this something I should just jump into? Or would I be better off buying one of the older games?

Get Brotherhood for cheap, if you like it buy this or AC2. Avoid AC1, read the story somewhere.

Dunan

I imagine most of the people participating in this thread are playing the game, but for the curious, AC Revelations is $35.99 on Amazon. The email showed me the 360 version but perhaps for the PS3 as well.

What terrible timing... I just bought it on Ebay for $38 plus shipping, and had been thinking I was getting a deal...

_woLf

So I think my game may be glitched or something...?

It's regarding unlockable outfits and the Ishak Pasha memoir pages.

I got all 10 pages and I never got the unlock of the Ishak Pasha armor. I thought it would be wearable piece by piece so I checked in the Assassin HQ, nothing. I check the inventory list, and I have Desmond (for beating all 5 Desmond missions,) Turkish Assassin Armor (the one that GameSpot was giving away codes for) and the Armor of Brutus (for buying the game from Walmart). I've read the armor is supposed to look like this? I have nothing like that anywhere in my inventory or in my Assassin HQ. :(

The weird thing is, though, early in the game I got a full set of "Master Assassin" armor (armor, not outfit) that gives me a massive health bar. I have no idea how I unlocked that, though. It just came out of nowhere.

I got the last page while I was in a mission in the Arsenal. Could that be why it didn't work?

rataven

So I think my game may be glitched or something...?

It's regarding unlockable outfits and the Ishak Pasha memoir pages.
You have one more step to go before the armor is yours.

Collecting the ten pages actually unlocks
the Hagia Sophia tomb level. There you'll find your armor :)

Can anyone explain to me what you get by assigning an assassin to one of assassin-controled cities? Also, any way to remove him from there? I only have an option to swap him with one of the other assassins.

Card Boy

Banned
Ezio looks like a dirty old man with the cowl over his head. I wish there was an opinion to disable it. So if your notorious you put it on to lower your notoriety. Maybe they can do that for AC3 or something with whoever is the main assassin in that.

He looks better without it though. (One of my screenshots re-sized)

JTeqo.jpg

Seems liked the ironed out the stupid parts of multiplayer(Adding honorable kill was a great idea), but the menus seem too cluttered and the matachmaking still sucks.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Ezio looks like a dirty old man with the cowl over his head. I wish there was an opinion to disable it. So if your notorious you put it on to lower your notoriety. Maybe they can do that for AC3 or something with whoever is the main assassin in that.

He looks better without it though. (One of my screenshots re-sized)

http://i.imgur.com/JTeqo.jpg
One of the things I hated about this is that his hands are unaffected by age. :p

I may be 50, but my hands are brand new!

The recommendations against the original Assassin's Creed make me a sad panda. :(

(I can't link to the actual post since the thread is locked.)
I felt that a lot of things you need to learn to do in AC1, you don't even have to bother to do in Revelations. You never have to sit and spy on anyone. I only remember having to steal information once.

Seda

Combat question:

Whats the easiest way to get a 5-kill streak? The one for the guild challenge that you have to do ten times? I always seemed to get interrupted as one of the assassinations animation is proceeding.

Also, how do you throw a weapon? (also for a challenge) I picked up a spear but I can't seem to get an option to hurl it at an enemy, although I remember doing this in Brotherhood.

Also, how do you throw a weapon? (also for a challenge) I picked up a spear but I can't seem to get an option to hurl it at an enemy, although I remember doing this in Brotherhood.

If it's the same as it was in Brohood, you need to be out of combat and then target an enemy and hold down the Square button. Ezio will wind up and then throw it. It blew my mind when he did it with a longsword in that game :p

Loving this game so far...Istanbul is massive and beautiful.

Probably been discussed but anyone have any tips/strategies for the tower defense game? I must be doing something wrong when battling the bosses...

Seda

Loving this game so far...Istanbul is massive and beautiful.

Probably been discussed but anyone have any tips/strategies for the tower defense game? I must be doing something wrong when battling the bosses...

This is what I do for the Tower defense.

Place leader on two rooftops near where enemy spawns
place normal barricade as close to enemies spawn point as possible.
Place riflemen on the rooftops
Place an archer at the barricade.

From them on out, primarily spend morale of rifleman on the front two rooftops. I always eventually seem to get to a point when I have 15-25 riflemen who kill an enemy spawn group nearly instantly and then they have enough time to reload before the next group.

Tips:
Remember your cannon. It refills fairly quickly.
Pay attention to when the bombing units are coming in. Take them out quickly so they don't ruin your barricade.

Anyone have tips for finding a Tax Collector for the Tax Evasion achievement?

Seda

You'll get it eventually by just playing the game, they randomly pop up.

I just got to sequence 8, I've gotten all treasures, Animus fragments, and basically done everything else I possibly could have up to this point and I haven't seen 1.

MMaRsu

Uhm why do i need a uplay password to play online? I was able to play on my account earlier, and it always worked now i have to sign into my friends account? Wtf?

Ehhhh wtf my buddys account cant go online either qhat the fuck

This is what I do for the Tower defense.

Place leader on two rooftops near where enemy spawns
place normal barricade as close to enemies spawn point as possible.
Place riflemen on the rooftops
Place an archer at the barricade.

From them on out, primarily spend morale of rifleman on the front two rooftops. I always eventually seem to get to a point when I have 15-25 riflemen who kill an enemy spawn group nearly instantly and then they have enough time to reload before the next group.

Tips:
Remember your cannon. It refills fairly quickly.
Pay attention to when the bombing units are coming in. Take them out quickly so they don't ruin your barricade.

Anyone have tips for finding a Tax Collector for the Tax Evasion achievement?
Epic protip. Thanks.

Riflemen freakin own.

Curufinwe

My tip for tower defense is get the achievements by replaying Sequence 2 Memory 6 then get a master assassin installed in all seven dens as fast as you can.

Seda

Just beat the game.

I really like the series. My main complaint on this one? Way too easy. Some of the 100% syncs in Brotherhood were brutal. There was like one in this game that took more than 2 tries.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat the game.

I really like the series. My main complaint on this one? Way too easy. Some of the 100% syncs in Brotherhood were brutal. There was like one in this game that took more than 2 tries.

Gah, I'm glad this one is kinda easy. I would not have bear with Brotherhood difficulty syncs.

Globox_82

Banned
Is game set in times of Christan Constantinople or after Islam overtook it - Istanbul?
(don't want to read other replies in search of information, so that I don't run into a spoiler)

Just beat the game.

It's exceedingly easy, yes. If you're an achievement/trophy whore that may seem like a boon, but from a gameplay perspective it's crap, because this ease comes from an absolutely corridor-like telegraphing of just how each mission should be done. There is very little room to improvise. The game tells you exactly what to do. In those instances where you might get creative just to have some fun, it feels wrong, because an easier/more efficient telegraphed approach is right there in front of you.

I'm trying to remember if II and Brohood were like this. I'm sure they were to some extent, but I don't remember feeling it anywhere near this strongly. Things wouldn't always go smoothly, and it was easy to run into the ugly side effects of a sand box mission, but it made the game a lot more interesting.

Just beat this on 360. I did all available missions, both side missions and main, renovated most real estate, etc. etc. I only basically haven't finished the Animus Data Fragments (though I did all the Desmond dreams) and a couple of the 100% syncs (nor do I plan to). Here are impressions:

This was an interesting experiment. I try not to buy games on brand loyalty; if the consensus is that the game is not that great I tend to avoid it regardless of its pedigree. That was the consensus here... but I decided to buy it anyway. How did it turn out?

GAMEPLAY -- B- -- I think II and Brohood were really fun. On paper Revelations should be equally as fun; after all it features pretty much every single mechanic from those games, plus a couple more. In reality though, this one is just missing something. For one thing, familiarity breeds contempt; there's just no getting around it anymore. Brotherhood was similar to II, yes, but it did add some pretty damn major stuff that really changed the gameplay: things like 100% syncs and the assassin helpers. Besides there's a big difference between repeating something once and repeating it AGAIN only a year later.

I don't think it's all "I've seen all this before" though. I think the familiarity thing just makes it easier to feel all the flaws, since there's no newness to make up for it; e.g., Halo: Reach may be superior to all the other games in the series, but it may not feel that way since it's so familiar from the get-go. Revelations really exposes some of the weaknesses of the series in latter years. The biggest thing is the missions are incredibly linear. It feels more so than in the two predecessors. The exact next step to take is very explicitly given in all instances. Go here. Tail that guy. Kill him by air assassination. Escape. There is some nominal choice about how to accomplish each thing, but it almost always seems easiest and most efficient to just do exactly what the game designers OBVIOUSLY want you to do; sure, you can poison him, but what's the point if you're directly above the game due to how the mission is structured and can easily assassinate from there? I could sneak in some awesome way, but they've put these Romanies (=hookers) RIGHT HERE, so why not use them? And that's if the designers leave any choice at all; in a few of the main story missions there's really exactly one thing to do. It provides for some cool moments from a spectacle point of view but is quite dull from a gameplay point of view. For example the whole disguise thing in the palace is pretty entertaining to watch, but there's no gameplay... just walk to a spot and play your lute, and watch them get killed quietly. It's cool but not fun.

The missions also feel small in scope. There's very little buildup to any of the assassinations; in many cases it's not even clear you're going to kill a target by the end of the mission, until suddenly you're in a small courtyard, and the mission is "Kill X." It's like... that's it? It was cool in preceding games when it felt like each target was this unreachable goal, and you had to endure lots of layered preparation in order to even be able to get into the same neighborhood as the guy. There is nothing like that here. It's all remarkably easy and un-epic-feeling.

On the positive side, the rudiments of the gameplay are stronger than ever (similar... but superb). I'm not sure that providing a primary and secondary weapon button made ANYTHING easier; probably the opposite; but other than that it's all good. Ziplining is simple and effective, the hookblade really improves the feel of upwards traversal (hardly ever are you stuck in that annoying "I want to go higher, but there's no ledge" situation from II/Brotherhood), and in general the platforming feels somehow less finicky. The collection mini-games are also better balanced and a little more fun.

Of course these games aren't just collections of missions; they're also sandboxes. Playing around in the sandbox is a big part of the fun, as opposed to just doing a linear sequence of missions. On this count Revelations is again weaker than its predecessors. II had a handful of cities and a bunch of countryside, all fully explorable. Brotherhood had far fewer locations, but Rome itself was a pretty varied mix, plus there were a bunch of other small but interesting environments. Revelations is Constantinople. Yes, you get to see a couple of other locations, but they're really nothing to write home about. Constantinople itself feels more homogenous and repetitive, and even the landmarks seem somewhat less impressive than before. The factions (Thieves, Mercs, Romanies) feel like 10x less important than before and seem like afterthoughts. Finally, the tower defense game that's shoehorned into Revelations -- triggered when Templars want to take back a territory you took from them -- is incredibly bad; luckily it's avoidable.

I guess I should mention bombs, since they were supposed to be this big deal. Well, they work. Yet they're almost never worth it, and they're just not that fun to use due to the finger acrobatics needed. In a harder game they might be worth something, but as it is it seems like Ubi implemented a pretty flexible system for no reason. Smoke Bombs are still life-savers but not as effective... and that's about it. Distraction bombs substitute for dead bodies, and that comes in handy... but again, pretty insignificant stuff.

Also there are Desmond dreams inside the Animus. Personally I found the gameplay serviceable. It's like a super-degenerate version of Portal, I guess. It gets the job done, but really it's the narrative content that's interesting.

So all in all, in terms of overall gameplay, this game feels a bit like leftovers from II and Brotherhood.

STORY/WRITING/VOICE ACTING -- A- -- Assassin's Creed in the last few years has really been unmatched in some ways in this department. It has one of the most awesome premises around (the whole Assassin vs. Templars through the ages thing, combined with intergenerational communication; not to mention all the excuses to run into famous historical figures). It has some of the strongest voice acting and dialog writing. It just exudes style and class on every level in terms of craftsmanship. In terms of plotting there are plusses and minuses. Some people don't care about the Desmond arc and find the whole thing incoherent... personally I'm a fan... but even I have to admit that all 3 predecessors featured some infuriatingly opaque storytelling that made it hard to appreciate the general plot arc at times. So what about Revelations?

I think it might be the best in the series in terms of storytelling. For one thing, it's quite coherent this time around; events played out without any jarring jumps in time. More importantly the choice to frame the game as outlining the relationship between Altair, Ezio, and Desmond is brilliant. It carries a surprising emotional impact. Watching Ezio experience Altair's memories and later lead to a kind of Ezio-Desmond connection, to me, was powerful. Ezio himself is incredibly compelling throughout the game but especially towards the end.

My only significant complaints story-wise are: The actual political intrigue (which has little to do with the Altair memories he recovers one by one throughout the game) in Ezio's time is ho-hum and uninteresting. The 2nd complaint is that yet again the Revelations are all shoved into the last 2 cut scenes. Finally, the game was rather bleak, since there's no contact with the modern world. Even the database is kind of sterile and humorless relatively speaking.

VISUALS/AUDIO -- A- -- Honestly there is little to complain about. This is just a damned sharp-looking game. I played the Brotherhood story DLC (Da Vinci Disappearance) right after this. It felt a bit more sparse; Constantinople is just full of STUFF (carpets, lamps, trinkets, ...) everywhere compared to Rome. There is much detail in every corner of the environments. Character look quite upgraded as well. Ezio and Desmond look oddly different but a lot better than before. Also there is little in-your-face pop-in, though the complete lack of countryside in this game probably contributes to that. As for music, it remains some of the best in the business.

VALUE -- B -- I forget my hour count. It's probably something like 15-20 hours. Whatever. If you like the game, you'll get plenty out of it. Most of it is pretty fun. Unfortunately the main story line seems very, very brief. There is a lot of side content, but the main story should be longer. II was epic in comparison. This means that even if in raw hours it's long enough, in terms of sustained involving gameplay it's not really.

OVERALL -- B- -- I'd say for Assassin's Creed fans, it's still important to play. Just for story I think it's needed. It might leave a bad taste in one's mouth, as it feels less lovingly crafted than its predecessor and maybe even a bit of a cash grab, but even so it's still enjoyable. Still, if I wanted to recommend an AC game to a newcomer, I'd send them both to Brotherhood or II, which are both better games, period, even though they are older.

So is there going to be no single player DLC? I just finished up the game last night and usually by the time I finish AC theres DLC announced or available by now. It looks like they left two huge spots for DLC in the Desmond's journey area.

They'd also have to change her likeness, which I suppose wouldn't seem that out of the question with what they did with Desmond.

Desmond's likeness is actually the same actor as before though. I was listening to some developer commentary posted on youtube and they said they used the same face model. Its just that the face tech is much better now so he looks different.

edit: heres the clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqMAKGL1DpM&feature=relmfu ... they start answering the question for real at 8:20

After giving someone Assassin's Creed 2 as a gift (someone who never played AC1) I went back and compiled a playlist on youtube of gameplay videos of AC1 starting from the intro up to the part where you start the 9 assassinations and then the ending starting from the Robert de Sable fight for him.

One thing I have to say after watching a bunch of those cutscenes was that AC1 was put together very well and there is so much attention to detail whereas it really feels like they cut a lot of corners in Revelations.

Also, after watching those AC1 vids I really really wish that Ubi would release an updated version of AC1 with the new voice actor and fix the parts where you do the 9 assassinations so its structured more like AC2 and has a linear story thread.

Toski

Also, after watching those AC1 vids I really really wish that Ubi would release an updated version of AC1 with the new voice actor and fix the parts where you do the 9 assassinations so its structured more like AC2 and has a linear story thread.

I think AC3 should be a more refined version of AC1, we've already had AC2, AC2.1, and AC2.2, so AC1 remade in the same vein as AC2 would be redundant.

Irish

Why do you hate me? No, really, what did I do to you?

Actually, there is an order of operations. Damascus, Acre, Jerusalem. Repeat. Repeat. At least, that is the order I have always followed, because I believe that is the way they give them to you at the start.

Dunan

Quick question from someone who's just bought the game and doesn't want anything to be spoiled:

I bought the game used on eBay a month ago and it's now in my hands. Opening the case, I see that (along with the fact that there's no manual) there's some kind of "multiplayer passport" code.

Is this something that will prevent used buyers from playing multiplayer; something that only the original buyer gets to use? Or do I just have to type in the code to show that I'm a legit buyer of the game?

Very disappointed if it's the former.

Curufinwe

It's an online pass and the code has likely already been used, so you'll have to buy a new Passport code for $10 if you want to play online. Although, you can get a free three day trial of the multiplayer and if you used that over a long weekend you could get a lot of hours in.

I bought the game new from Amazon for $35 on Black Friday, but I only started playing the multiplayer last night after I got a 48 hour Xbox Live gold code here on GAF. And in just a few hours I was ale to get up to level 5 and unlock six of the 10 multiplayer Achievements.

Nori Chan

Steal the artifact is amazing..

Its fun when your team isn't just standing near the artifact the whole game with those trip wires.

Some people just camp the roof tops with a hidden gun too. But damn, it's such an adrenaline rush when you have the artifact and you're running towards your base with 4 people chasing you.

Top Bottom