• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Started playing a few days ago and I must say I really don't like most of the new mechanics they've added. The core game is still solid but the bombcrafting feels very gimmicky but isn't very forced so I don't mind it. The tower defense and Desmond parts however I really hate. For someone with crap spatial awareness the Desmond parts are hell to play and I'm speaking purely about the gameplay here, the story segments in it are good and very welcome but I do not like the block puzzles one bit.

On the other hand I really loved the Glyph Puzzles as they were fun, often challenging and built the universe up more if you were inclined to invest the time into them. When I heard they removed those in favor of the aforementioned elements it felt like a kick in the nuts.

I think AC3 should be a more refined version of AC1, we've already had AC2, AC2.1, and AC2.2, so AC1 remade in the same vein as AC2 would be redundant.
I don't think it'd be redundant in the sense that there is no version of AC1 that is enjoyable to play from start to finish.
Why do you hate me? No, really, what did I do to you?

Actually, there is an order of operations. Damascus, Acre, Jerusalem. Repeat. Repeat. At least, that is the order I have always followed, because I believe that is the way they give them to you at the start.
You sir, are on an island--but at least I think you know that. :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Started playing a few days ago and I must say I really don't like most of the new mechanics they've added. The core game is still solid but the bombcrafting feels very gimmicky but isn't very forced so I don't mind it. The tower defense and Desmond parts however I really hate. For someone with crap spatial awareness the Desmond parts are hell to play and I'm speaking purely about the gameplay here, the story segments in it are good and very welcome but I do not like the block puzzles one bit.

On the other hand I really loved the Glyph Puzzles as they were fun, often challenging and built the universe up more if you were inclined to invest the time into them. When I heard they removed those in favor of the aforementioned elements it felt like a kick in the nuts.

I'm at 70% sync and I agree with these points. I really like the Glyph puzzles and was sad that they replaced them. Thankfully with regards to the Den defense I have only had to do it a couple times. I hope they take fan feedback into account. What is the best way to voice my dipleasure about the Dens and block puzzles??

nel e nel

Its fun when your team isn't just standing near the artifact the whole game with those trip wires.

Some people just camp the roof tops with a hidden gun too. But damn, it's such an adrenaline rush when you have the artifact and you're running towards your base with 4 people chasing you.

Yeah, that is my go-to mode when I'm playing with friends, but when I'm El Solo Lobo I really like Deathmatch/Simple Deathmatch and Corruption is starting to grow on me as well.

Ezio looks like a dirty old man with the cowl over his head. I wish there was an opinion to disable it. So if your notorious you put it on to lower your notoriety. Maybe they can do that for AC3 or something with whoever is the main assassin in that.

He looks better without it though.

You can glitch his hood off in the SP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlG1ZnudFCg

Dunan

It's an online pass and the code has likely already been used, so you'll have to buy a new Passport code for $10 if you want to play online. Although, you can get a free three day trial of the multiplayer and if you used that over a long weekend you could get a lot of hours in.

Thanks for the info, even if it's exactly what I didn't want to hear. Having paid $38 for my used copy just before Amazon sold it at $35 a week ago, and not having any idea that multiplayer was only for the first owner of the game, I really feel deceived.

Im pretty early in the game so I havent read through the thread, but I did google (and failed to find an answer), I was just curious if anyone had a write up of the Uplay exclusive mediterranean missions. I know they are just crappy small paragraphs but im very curious to see what they involve.

Im not sure I want to actually buy them though, because they arent exactly gameplay related.

jackdoe

I'm not very far into the game and I pretty much already own nearly every single shop and have all the dens with master assassins in training. It's kind of nice that they don't cordon of the city but I am making so many detours due to my OCD about these kinds of things. But at least I should be able to coast through the game in the end as I will be swimming in money and have master assassin's at every den.

I made the mistake of picking this up during black Friday after beating brotherhood only 2 months prior.

I made two hours and traded it to amazon for a small profit. The new stuff just wasn't doing it for me, and felt like it was detracting from the core portion of the game I loved

I'll pick it up again closer to the release of the next assassin's creed. I can't recommend it to someone who just beat brotherhood

foxdvd

I made the mistake of picking this up during black Friday after beating brotherhood only 2 months prior.

I made two hours and traded it to amazon for a small profit. The new stuff just wasn't doing it for me, and felt like it was detracting from the core portion of the game I loved

I'll pick it up again closer to the release of the next assassin's creed. I can't recommend it to someone who just beat brotherhood

yeah, I know these games are a cash cow...but I think they would benefit more from a 2 year release schedule.

About halfway through. although fun the game is so far the least of the 4 AC games, unfortunately.

Some impressions:

+ The technical performance. No tearing or pop-in! Ezio's movements are really fluid. Really well done.
+ The Assassin's system (including recruitment) is really great now. Better than in Brotherhood. Also like the way you can earn money through capturing cities.
+ Story is fun. Old Ezio is a convincing character.
+ The sense of height is back from the first game. Maybe that's beacause of the minarets, but in AC:R I really feel like you're high above the city even when climbing.
+ Contantinople is a great city and a nice change from renaissance Italy.

+/- I actually quite like the Den protection (although I tried to get Master Assassins asap nontheless) aside from the horrible controls.

- Constantinople is a great city, but I don't like how the city feels more like a backdrop than a real part of the story this time around. Especially in the beginning you seem to run like crazy from North to South and back without really getting to know the city. Both II and Brotherhood did this much better.
- Where are the rift puzzles?!? Really a shame that these are out.
- Bombmaking is gimmicky and I hardly use bombs (for distraction they are ok)
- WTF have they done to the graphics in Altaïrs scenes? They look so cartoony. He used to look badass and Middle Eastern, now he looks like a high school frat boy.
- I miss the silly side missions like chasing thieves and assassinations. It feels like the only thing to do outside of the story missions is opening shops.

iNvid02

Is it just me or does Desmond's model not look anything like it usually does?

they all look different, desmond has changed the most due to his whole face being remashed
they probably weren't happy with the original so changed it now because of the improvements to the faces in game.

i dont really know which one i prefer, i dont think i like desmond anyway

they all look different, desmond has changed the most due to his whole face being remashed
they probably weren't happy with the original so changed it now because of the improvements to the faces in game.

i dont really know which one i prefer, i dont think i like desmond anyway

Can't say I like the character either. I just started the game so I haven't seen everyone, but yeah. Seemed a little strange

crispyben

Platinum! True Templar (level 20 in MP) was actually fun and not a grind at all, and Fond Memories (100% synch all story sequences) wasn't really difficult, apart from the Yerebatan Cistern (S3M6) and Decommissioned (S7M4) missions that were a bit touchy.

Is it just me or does Desmond's model not look anything like it usually does?

I'm probably completely wrong about all this because I have no official information whatsoever, but I wonder if certain people signed three-game deals back when Assassin's Creed 1 was still in production. It'd explain why they had to write Kristen Bell out of the series, and maybe they couldn't renegotiate their contract with the guy they based Desmond's face off either:
tumblr_li3wojJPdC1qh8a6lo1_500.jpg

Or not. Maybe the Lucy thing was planned all along, but to change the faces of Desmond, Ezio and Altair out of the blue, four games into a series, smacks of Ubisoft losing the rights to a likeness.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I preferred the AC2 and AC:B Desmond/Ezio. I can understand why Ezio looks a bit different because he's aged a bit. But changing Desmond so drastically just doesn't make sense.

I'm probably completely wrong about all this because I have no official information whatsoever, but I wonder if certain people signed three-game deals back when Assassin's Creed 1 was still in production. It'd explain why they had to write Kristen Bell out of the series, and maybe they couldn't renegotiate their contract with the guy they based Desmond's face off either:
tumblr_li3wojJPdC1qh8a6lo1_500.jpg

Or not. Maybe the Lucy thing was planned all along, but to change the faces of Desmond, Ezio and Altair out of the blue, four games into a series, smacks of Ubisoft losing the rights to a likeness.

I posted about this earlier in the thread. Its the same face model for Desmond: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33581655&postcount=2592

They just wanted to redo the model because they realized their face tech was crap. I'm betting the additional detail plus the fact that the actor's face may have changed slightly since hes at least 5 years older since they originally captured his face is why Desmond looks so different.

Korey

DAT ENDING, Holy shit ... it was amazing. Easily my fave series of this gen. Glad we can finally move on from altair and ezio (i really love them both, ezio <3) but fuck desmond seriously.

Thinking back to the first scene in Assassins creed 2 and where we ended up makes it feel so much more special. I feel like ive watched a game character grow up, congrats to ubi for pulling that off.

REVELATIONS MAJOR SPOILERS

Throughout the entire game I never thought to myself 'what is in that vault, what could it be?'. But when I finally walked into the vault it hit me like a ton of fucking bricks, I just gasped and went "oh man... altair :(" I was incredibly sad. Then to play how he got there? putting out the fires you just lit as ezio and finally sitting down tore me up. That camera spin was a work of art.I will never forget this ending, not game has ever punched me like that in the end. I really liked both of those guys and seeing altair dead was :(

Also Ezio saying "who are we..who have been so blessed to share our stories like this" was amazing.

That whole section had great music

I agree. Amazing moment.

There was something REALLY familiar about the ending though, where
I knew exactly what Desmond was going to say when he woke up from the Animus. Was it from a movie or something? Where the character wakes up with a bunch of people surrounding him, and the person goes "I know what we need to do."

Massa

I agree. Amazing moment.

There was something REALLY familiar about the ending though, where
I knew exactly what Desmond was going to say when he woke up from the Animus. Was it from a movie or something? Where the character wakes up with a bunch of people surrounding him, and the person goes "I know what we need to do."

There was a very similar moment in one of the Matrix movies -
where Neo says something like that right after being unplugged from the Animus Matrix

To someone that's never played an Assassin's Creed game for more than a few minutes, where is the best place to start?

I don't have the time to trawl through all of them, but I don't really want to play through something I don't understand either.

Grisby

To someone that's never played an Assassin's Creed game for more than a few minutes, where is the best place to start?

I don't have the time to trawl through all of them, but I don't really want to play through something I don't understand either.
Assassins Creed 2. I would go back and play 1 personally but you start fresh with a new guy in 2 and you can experience all of the gameplay improvements. Brotherhood and Revelations make a nice send off if you enjoy Ezio's (sequel's protagonist) stuff.

iNvid02

yeah that ending was pretty powerful, didnt think i cared for altair that much but looks i did
ezio's ending was a little easier, looked like he went out with his family in the place he loved

start with ac2 pigeion

voodooray

yeah that ending was pretty powerful, didnt think i cared for altair that much but looks i did
ezio's ending was a little easier, looked like he went out with his family in the place he loved

start with ac2 pigeion

Loved the ending, and the music. Anyone else watched Embers following the game?

I started from AC2 and loved every minute. Trying AC now was quite painful with how different the game felt compared to the later entries. I took a break but will probably try it again at some point.

voodooray

I wish the last couple minutes of Embers could have been included in the end of the game in some way.

Yeah they really should have. I felt the content is far too niche to be watched separately, and out of context as a random paid-for video by someone as DLC. Still, it had to happen eventually (making the games ending a paid for DLC).

RiZ III

Just finished the game.
Damn that was pretty depressing. Seeing Altair getting older amd older was sad enough, and them to see hom dead :(
The last game that actually evoked any emotion out of me was panzer dragoon saga. Well done Ubi.

Lesiroth

Just finished the game and watched Embers. God damn if the ending wasn't touching/emotional.
So was the whole point of Embers was to show that Ezio died a man content with his life, just like Altair died? He seemed kinda depressed at Rev's ending.

Also, I didn't get what that Jupiter guy was on about. The world's in danger again?

Regardless, I'm excited to see what happens with ACIII, especially that Ezio and Altair are out of the loop now. Who'll they replace them with?

iNvid02

Just finished the game and watched Embers. God damn if the ending wasn't touching/emotional.
So was the whole point of Embers was to show that Ezio died a man content with his life, just like Altair died? He seemed kinda depressed at Rev's ending.

Also, I didn't get what that Jupiter guy was on about. The world's in danger again?

Regardless, I'm excited to see what happens with ACIII, especially that Ezio and Altair are out of the loop now. Who'll they replace them with?

well ezio had a wife and kids, nice peaceful home so he died a happy man, but i think he just regretted (a little bit) spending all his life being an assassin.

the 2012 danger (earth blowing up or solar flare or something) still remains, and the the stuff that will save the world is hidden away in the temples, thats why desmond said at the end "I KNOW WHAT WE GOTTA DO" as he awoke lol.

ACIII could be just desmond on his own in modern day or it could be desmond plus a new assassin, possibly that chick from embers.

either way, ACIII will wrap up this whole 2012 thing along with desmond now that ezio and altair have been dealt with. the guy who wrote revelations reminded me that this whole desmond/altair/ezio thing is just one small dot in the AC universe, they have literally all of history to jump around in and tons of characters to use.

Tawpgun

Laugh my ass off.

Does this game FORCE you to play the multiplayer? I was randomly shot into the main menu lobby and into the multiplayer lobby. When I tried to return to main menu, it shot me back into multiplayer. Same thing happened when I restarted the game. But after I played a match, I could go back to singleplayer.

Wat.

Lesiroth

well ezio had a wife and kids, nice peaceful home so he died a happy man, but i think he just regretted (a little bit) spending all his life being an assassin.

the 2012 danger (earth blowing up or solar flare or something) still remains, and the the stuff that will save the world is hidden away in the temples, thats why desmond said at the end "I KNOW WHAT WE GOTTA DO" as he awoke lol.

ACIII could be just desmond on his own in modern day or it could be desmond plus a new assassin, possibly that chick from embers.

either way, ACIII will wrap up this whole 2012 thing along with desmond now that ezio and altair have been dealt with. the guy who wrote revelations reminded me that this whole desmond/altair/ezio thing is just one small dot in the AC universe, they have literally all of history to jump around in and tons of characters to use.

Here's hoping you're right about ACIII. Desmond alone would be pretty crappy IMO. Plus she looked interesting.

And while it's true there's a ton of lore in the AC universe, we've been playing with Ezio for three games now, and Altair's been playable or a major character since the first game, so that's who we connected with. Gonna be wierd playing an AC without them.

Laugh my ass off.

Does this game FORCE you to play the multiplayer? I was randomly shot into the main menu lobby and into the multiplayer lobby. When I tried to return to main menu, it shot me back into multiplayer. Same thing happened when I restarted the game. But after I played a match, I could go back to singleplayer.

Wat.

This never happened to be, but I did read something before where someone else had it happen to them. Seems like an annoying bug!

Here's hoping you're right about ACIII. Desmond alone would be pretty crappy IMO. Plus she looked interesting.

And while it's true there's a ton of lore in the AC universe, we've been playing with Ezio for three games now, and Altair's been playable or a major character since the first game, so that's who we connected with. Gonna be wierd playing an AC without them.

I think after Assassins Creed 3 it would be good to have a whole new storyline, the meat of the games is following Assassins in cool historical cities/ locations. I want to see more of history, im getting a bit bored of being tied down to the characters of Altair and Ezio because for sure there are some very cool places they could take us.

Also, am I the only one who was really sad at
Yusuf's death? He was such an awesome character IMO.
I didn't think there was nearly enough development for me to care. The big problem I had with Rev is that I didn't have any reason to really care about what was going on until about halfway through the story (when things finally started to get interesting), and what you're talking about kinda vanished at that point, with Sophia/Suleiman becoming more of a focus.

I thought the "motive" in AC1/2/Bro was much stronger than in Rev. I get that the story was essentially a transitional one but... well, I'm glad I only paid $35 and that I can get $30 from GS. I had a good time but aside from the end I didn't consider it to be too memorable, and I want AC3, assuming there will be more animus time, to be much different in setting; Constantinople was really underused as a setting IMO.

Lesiroth

I didn't think there was nearly enough development for me to care. The big problem I had with Rev is that I didn't have any reason to really care about what was going on until about halfway through the story (when things finally started to get interesting), and what you're talking about kinda vanished at that point, with Sophia/Suleiman becoming more of a focus.

I thought the "motive" in AC1/2/Bro was much stronger than in Rev. I get that the story was essentially a transitional one but... well, I'm glad I only paid $35 and that I can get $30 from GS. I had a good time but aside from the end I didn't consider it to be too memorable, and I want AC3, assuming there will be more animus time, to be much different in setting; Constantinople was really underused as a setting IMO.

Yep, it's a shame Constantinople is no longer a choice in future sequels, it's a pretty vibrant and colorful setting.

I doubt there's really any chance of setting AC III in modern times. That would not only cause a full-on riot among series fans but would also be an enormous risk just in terms of an ability to make a great game. They'd have to throw out half the mechanics and try to come up with something fun in a world full of guns and cell phones; not to mention the fact that modern times = no more excuse to have a crazy complex HUD (no excuse for an Animus).

Nah, surely the next one will be another historical one albeit in (hopefully) a very different location. Also I hope they've been working on it since AC II or Brotherhood came out... because one year for a full refreshed AC => fail.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt there's really any chance of setting AC III in modern times. That would not only cause a full-on riot among series fans but would also be an enormous risk just in terms of an ability to make a great game. They'd have to throw out half the mechanics and try to come up with something fun in a world full of guns and cell phones; not to mention the fact that modern times = no more excuse to have a crazy complex HUD (no excuse for an Animus).

Nah, surely the next one will be another historical one albeit in (hopefully) a very different location. Also I hope they've been working on it since AC II or Brotherhood came out... because one year for a full refreshed AC => fail.

I think it will be a mix. There will be (hopefully) a great historic setting, but they will need to have significant playable sections set in modern times otherwise how the hell they do anything? The balance is going to have to be perfect imo, too much in either setting could really hurt the game.

rdrr gnr

The only thing I was disappointed by was the soundtrack. Don't get me wrong -- I love Kyd's work -- but just not this time.

Needs more Earth and what not.

The only thing I was disappointed by was the soundtrack. Don't get me wrong -- I love Kyd's work -- but just not this time.

Needs more Earth and what not.

I didn't mind it. He added a bit of mediterranean flavor to the tunes, and the main theme is pretty somber and reflective, which is what the whole game is going for.

But considering AC2 has one of the best game soundtracks ever, yeah, it's not quite as good.

Irish

I don't know. I really liked the soundtrack this go around. Of course, it was definitely different from the previous games. While there is nothing there as instantly memorable as Ezio's family, there are still nice tracks. Most of the best ones are way shorter than they should be though.

Top Bottom