• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Was anyone else slightly disturbed by Ezio’s actions in sequence 7?
Manuel Palaiologos is apperently the leader of a village of Byzantine refugees, who hopes to reclaim the land where their ancestors lived for over 1000 years. Apparently Ezio has no sympathy for their cause and considers every citizen expendable, as long as he is able to kill their leader. He starts a huge fire in a cave with a limited number of exits, and was barely able to make it out alive himself before succumbing to death by smoke inhalation or lack of oxygen. It is highly likely that hundreds of people, most likely the elderly and children, died in the chaos he caused.

iNvid02

Manuel Palaiologos is apperently the leader of a village of Byzantine refugees, who hopes to reclaim the land where their ancestors lived for over 1000 years. Apparently Ezio has no sympathy for their cause and considers every citizen expendable, as long as he is able to kill their leader. He starts a huge fire in a cave with a limited number of exits, and was barely able to make it out alive himself before succumbing to death by smoke inhalation or lack of oxygen. It is highly likely that hundreds of people, most likely the elderly and children, died in the chaos he caused.

greater good and all that shit

honestly though there was a thread about this. like uncharted and drake you gotta sometimes separate the story and gameplay.

but i think if revelations had more time spent on it then this sort of stuff would not happen.
the whole shift to cappadocia just came out of nowhere for no apparent reason, it was a nice change from istanbul but still

edgefusion

I don't remember the specifics all too well but it seemed to me that Ezio reacted in a slightly "Oh shit, I have really messed up and don't know what to say/do" kind of way. It could've been handled a lot better though, I see what you're saying.

Cth

Would it be safe to say
it came back to haunt him in his later years as seen in Embers? Sure it could be something like cancer/old age, but look at all the people who had problems after 9-11..

Speaking of 9-11, it was a little disturbing given the whole bomb crafting angle the game takes as well.

greater good and all that shit

honestly though there was a thread about this. like uncharted and drake you gotta sometimes separate the story and gameplay.

but i think if revelations had more time spent on it then this sort of stuff would not happen.
the whole shift to cappadocia just came out of nowhere for no apparent reason, it was a nice change from istanbul but still

I usually just consider the cutscenes and the assassination of main targets to be a part of the story in Assassins Creed, so the countless number of guards I kill during gameplay never bothers me (same with the Unchartered series). But the incident I previously mentioned can not be explained away, since it was such an important part of the sequence. The massacre of the Ottoman ships and personal in the harbour also bothered me. Destroying such a huge part of their naval force just to get out of the city seemed so unnecessary, especially when Ezio is on their side.

Curufinwe

Would it be safe to say
it came back to haunt him in his later years as seen in Embers? Sure it could be something like cancer/old age, but look at all the people who had problems after 9-11..

Speaking of 9-11, it was a little disturbing given the whole bomb crafting angle the game takes as well.

What do bombs have to do with 9-11?

I usually just consider the cutscenes and the assassination of main targets to be a part of the story in Assassins Creed, so the countless number of guards I kill during gameplay never bothers me (same with the Unchartered series). But the incident I previously mentioned can not be explained away, since it was such an important part of the sequence. The massacre of the Ottoman ships and personal in the harbour also bothered me. Destroying such a huge part of their naval force just to get out of the city seemed so unnecessary, especially when Ezio is on their side.
By the time the Ottoman ship scene occurred I'd argue that the Ottoman government had been infiltrated by the Templars, and thus were fair game (much like iirc how you used cannons in one of the previous games to wipe out otherwise non-Templar forces being used by the Templars). I thought the scene with the chain breaking and the resulting destruction was pretty silly, though; building a tower isn't cheap!

As for Cappadocia, ehh... the story seemed to set up the location as mostly focused on wartime production/preparation, which would make it "fair game", I suppose (coupled with the scene involving the torturer and the crowds watching); I'd be interested if the real Cappadocian underground cities had the kind of "normal day to day" population appearance as in the game (if not, blame the animus!). I do agree that the response by Ezio was pretty extreme.

Tawpgun

Just beat it. Wow.

Bring on AC3. Hope they stick with the French Revolution historical angle as hinted by in Brotherhood.

I'm also ready for more Desmond missions.

He was in league with the Templars.

The civilian casualties were regrettable, but the Assassin's don't care about politics, political standing, or history. They just oppose whoever the Templar's are backing.

As it turns out, the Templars were playing both sides to ensure they had power in the region. Of course, by the end, the one guy who wasn't in their pocket took control, and his son would go on to be one of the greatest leaders in the region's history.

rdrr gnr

Just beat it. Wow.

Bring on AC3. Hope they stick with the French Revolution historical angle as hinted by in Brotherhood.

I'm also ready for more Desmond missions.
Why FR? They need to get out of Europe. I feel like the architecture is similar enough, that they will be able to reuse most of their current assets for a game that would take place during that time frame. I'd love to see it take place during the American Revolution or even the Civil War (so much potential in this setting) but I haven't kept up with the community's general feelings of whether or not these eras are even in the running. They could do something very clever with France and the US given the relationship of these two countries during the 18th century. I wouldn't mind an American Revolution numbered sequel with a Brotherhood-like expansion in France.

RiZ III

Just finished watching Embers. The AC story has got to be one of the best, if not the best, told stories in a modern video game. Very touching. I loved how the player gets to see Ezio aging through the games. Has any other game done this?

DrAg0nBoY

Finished the game couple of days ago and it was great. The scene with
Altair in Ezio
is fantastic. Too bad that I read The Secret Crusade before playing the game, because I already knew the Altair sequences.

And Embers is a great finish for Ezio. One of the best character in games (well for me atleast :D).

Just finished watching Embers. The AC story has got to be one of the best, if not the best, told stories in a modern video game. Very touching. I loved how the player gets to see Ezio aging through the games. Has any other game done this?

Eternal Darkness (GC). Play it.

iNvid02

SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS

some people found some on-disk DLC and extracted the audio for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZyIvX7p9t0U

In the audio, Lucy is confirmed to have been an Assassin turned Templar via Warren Vidic’s indoctrination, and gives a more cohesive reason as to WHY Minerva decided Lucy just had to die at the end of Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood. The audio gives some more insight into the character of Vidic and the methods of the Templars by having Lucy herself question why no one ever came looking for her once the Templars took her. The audio also contains snipits of Subject 16′s dialogue, an exchange between ADAM and EVE (no, really), and Desmond’s father William speaking to Subject 16 regarding his role in the Animus.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
......don't know what to think. Confused. Probably shouldn't have read that text, definitely won't listen to the audio though until i play the DLC.

Irish

......don't know what to think. Confused. Probably shouldn't have read that text, definitely won't listen to the audio though until i play the DLC.

It's not going to make any sense if you just listen to the video. It's... weird and scenes have been cut up and smashed together where it literally makes no sense.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
It's not going to make any sense if you just listen to the video. It's... weird and scenes have been cut up and smashed together where it literally makes no sense.

They need to get the DLC out soon then, can't wait!

1stStrike

Banned
Those sound like some pretty serious REVELATIONS that could have been in the game to justify the damn title.

Perhaps that's part of their secret plan. They put these audio bits on the disk knowing full well that someone would find them and post them on the internet.

Mindfuck.

Now i'm just giving them way too much credit.

Watching the credits scroll by as I type. Solid enough game, but this ended up being the "merely more AC" that I expected AC:B to be, but I thought AC:B was so much better than it had any need to be that I'm more than willing to forgive this game for not adding anything good (I only had to do the very first Den Defense, and did all Desmond sequences at once, so I minimized the bad that could have come out of them), taking out a couple of good things (No glyphs/puzzles! Very few challenge dungeons) , and generally moving nothing forward. I guess I'm a sucker for this series.

Wait? Embers is the real ending and I have to pay points for it? :(

Mikeside

Ugh - so annoying

I got this game almost entirely for the multiplayer (loved ACB multiplayer but haven't even finished AC2 single player yet)

The gameplay is great, but unfortunately there's a horrible bug that causes the game to freeze my entire PC when I play the MP, needing a hard reboot and from what I can gather it's because the game isn't compatible with my onboard sound card.

This is a 2 year old motherboard, Ubisoft! What the hell is wrong with you that this is allowed to happen?!?!?!

RAAAAGE.

I don't suppose any helpful GAFfer knows of a fix that isn't "buy a sound card" or "disable audio in the BIOS", because these are all I'm getting elsewhere :(

iNvid02

usually when games have sound related problems, the most common one is the khz/bit settings.

right click sound icon > playback > choose your card > click properties and go to advanced.

then change it to 16bit 192hz if its not already, sometimes 24bit messes up games

i know skyrim wouldnt load if the sound was 24bit a while ago

So I bought the special edition and entered the code through extras it worked, but neither ezios ultimate armour appears or the 2 multiplayer skins appear, Why are Ubisoft so shitty?

I started playing the game and I have a few questions. Do I have to do this world conquest mini game with the assassins? How do take over Templar dens? Finally, when to side missions start opening up (like races and other small side missions with no impact on the main story)?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I know this might not be the best place to ask, but: Can two-three people help me with Brotherhood's multiplayer trophies on PS3? I only need to finish the stupid co-op 1 session (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zYVYT3LDao) and Abstergo Employee of the Month (but I guess I need to rank up to 50 for some of these: Like having someone kill a player I've poisioned. Still haven't unlocked the poison) before I can start to worry about Revelations multiplayer and the singleplayer for both. >_>

Nori Chan

I know this might not be the best place to ask, but: Can two-three people help me with Brotherhood's multiplayer trophies on PS3? I only need to finish the stupid co-op 1 session (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zYVYT3LDao) and Abstergo Employee of the Month (but I guess I need to rank up to 50 for some of these: Like having someone kill a player I've poisioned. Still haven't unlocked the poison) before I can start to worry about Revelations multiplayer and the singleplayer for both. >_>

I know that feel bro.

I have yet to finish the last 2 multiplayer achievements.

Mikeside

usually when games have sound related problems, the most common one is the khz/bit settings.

right click sound icon > playback > choose your card > click properties and go to advanced.

then change it to 16bit 192hz if its not already, sometimes 24bit messes up games

i know skyrim wouldnt load if the sound was 24bit a while ago

Cheers for the help dude - I gave it a go but no luck

I'm thinking it might actually be worth getting a cheap USB sound card just for when I'm playing this game...

Okay so I'm in Altair's first mission
and for there are templars that I can't kill no matter what I do, their health is as low as it can go but no matter what Altair won't deliver a killing blow. The thing is one of them is one I need to kill to save a citizen. Is this glitched or am I missing something?

Also in the does the Mediterranean Defense work the same as Den Defense, ie. if I station a Master Assassin in a city will the Templars no longer be able to take it back?

I started playing the game and I have a few questions. Do I have to do this world conquest mini game with the assassins? How do take over Templar dens? Finally, when to side missions start opening up (like races and other small side missions with no impact on the main story)?

- You don't have to do anything really, including the Mediterranean game, to beat the game (which is easy). However, IMO it is more worth your time to play that game instead of doing Den Defenses. If you don't play the game, you won't be able to install master assassins in your dens, which will leave the dens open to attack from templars. If you do play the game, you can gradually block those off, AND you'll get some strong assassins to help you when you do the Call Assassins thing, which can help when you're in a bind (in fact it's almost a win-game button). Finally, getting your guys to level 10 and level 15 opens up side missions (see below).

- To take over a templar den, approach the templar tower. There will be a restricted area (red). Somewhere inside will be a templar captain that you must assassinate. The game will tell you if he's a coward or not. If he's not, no worries... just get in there and kill him. If he is a coward, then it's a lot harder, as he'll run away in 5 seconds the moment he's aware of you. So you have to find him using Eagle Sense and hopefully sneak up on him and kill him.

- Most of the side missions have to do with assassin recruitment and master assassin promotion. So whenever you have some slots open for new recruits, recruit them. Get them to level 10; that will allow you to play a Master Assassin mission with that guy. Then get him to level 15; that will allow you to play a final MA mission with that guy. So that's a total of 14 side missions, if I recall correctly.

There aren't really any miscellaneous "do this race" or "kill this guy" icons on the map anymore. Everything pretty much has to do with either the story, the assassin recruits, or the collection mini-games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I know that feel bro.

I have yet to finish the last 2 multiplayer achievements.

Well, I unlocked morph. Which made Manhunt 20x more fun than it was before that point (AKA: Not very for low levels).

I have to really question why developers matchmake higher level players with lower level players. Esp. in Brotherhood: Where being level 50 means you can stomp all over level 1-49 players with reckless abandon. :|

That said: Morphing a crowd, standing nearby and having someone kill a civilian will never get old. I hope Revelations has this.

How active is the multiplayer in ps3? I'm looking for a new multiplayer game, and I like the concept of this (even if I got really frustrated with Brotherhood's). Hopefully it's improved.

- You don't have to do anything really, including the Mediterranean game, to beat the game (which is easy). However, IMO it is more worth your time to play that game instead of doing Den Defenses. If you don't play the game, you won't be able to install master assassins in your dens, which will leave the dens open to attack from templars. If you do play the game, you can gradually block those off, AND you'll get some strong assassins to help you when you do the Call Assassins thing, which can help when you're in a bind (in fact it's almost a win-game button). Finally, getting your guys to level 10 and level 15 opens up side missions (see below).

- To take over a templar den, approach the templar tower. There will be a restricted area (red). Somewhere inside will be a templar captain that you must assassinate. The game will tell you if he's a coward or not. If he's not, no worries... just get in there and kill him. If he is a coward, then it's a lot harder, as he'll run away in 5 seconds the moment he's aware of you. So you have to find him using Eagle Sense and hopefully sneak up on him and kill him.

- Most of the side missions have to do with assassin recruitment and master assassin promotion. So whenever you have some slots open for new recruits, recruit them. Get them to level 10; that will allow you to play a Master Assassin mission with that guy. Then get him to level 15; that will allow you to play a final MA mission with that guy. So that's a total of 14 side missions, if I recall correctly.

There aren't really any miscellaneous "do this race" or "kill this guy" icons on the map anymore. Everything pretty much has to do with either the story, the assassin recruits, or the collection mini-games.

thanks for the clear answers, I once I take over a Templar den, I need to protect it? Also I'm not understanding how you level up assassins. Is it through the Map game?

thanks for the clear answers, I once I take over a Templar den, I need to protect it? Also I'm not understanding how you level up assassins. Is it through the Map game?

- Once you take over a templar den, three things happen. One, you can freely run around there, as there is no more annoying red area where all the guards go crazy if they see you. Two, you can buy real estate and make money from that district. And three, templars may attack you there (causing a den defense), but only when your templar awareness thing reaches 100% (which is pretty easy to do when you buy real estate). If it reaches 100%, quickly get it back down to 0%, and that should be fast enough to avoid a den defense. I was unable to prevent it only one time. Not that it's a huge deal... though if you lose the den defense, you'll have to kill the captain again, etc.

(OK, four: when you get a templar den, you can also recruit three [I think] more assassins.)

But if you get a fully leveled master assassin in there, then that den is locked and can't be attacked. That takes a while though. The rules for this weren't that clearly explained, but IIRC it works like this: First, get a guy to level 10. He can now be assigned to a den (free dens will show as Master Assassin icons on the map). Now you do his first mission. Once successful, he can level past level 10. Now get him to level 15. That den's icon should show up again. Now you do his second/last mission. Once successful he's a full master assassin; therefore the den to which he's assigned is now locked and is safe from templar attack (den defense).

It's a pretty interesting system, even though it is frankly overkill given how easy the game is. Hopefully they can put a refined version to better use in a future AC game.

- The fastest way to level up assassins is through the map game, yes. Also they gain experience when you use them in a fight, but I'm not sure if it's that much. The map game has all these intricacies the more you play it... you can assign master assassins to cities and all that jazz. Most of it is honestly overkill.

BTW, there is an excruciatingly detailed manual in the Animus Desktop menu.

- Once you take over a templar den, three things happen. One, you can freely run around there, as there is no more annoying red area where all the guards go crazy if they see you. Two, you can buy real estate and make money from that district. And three, templars may attack you there (causing a den defense), but only when your templar awareness thing reaches 100% (which is pretty easy to do when you buy real estate). If it reaches 100%, quickly get it back down to 0%, and that should be fast enough to avoid a den defense. I was unable to prevent it only one time. Not that it's a huge deal... though if you lose the den defense, you'll have to kill the captain again, etc.

(OK, four: when you get a templar den, you can also recruit three [I think] more assassins.)

But if you get a fully leveled master assassin in there, then that den is locked and can't be attacked. That takes a while though. The rules for this weren't that clearly explained, but IIRC it works like this: First, get a guy to level 10. He can now be assigned to a den (free dens will show as Master Assassin icons on the map). Now you do his first mission. Once successful, he can level past level 10. Now get him to level 15. That den's icon should show up again. Now you do his second/last mission. Once successful he's a full master assassin; therefore the den to which he's assigned is now locked and is safe from templar attack (den defense).

It's a pretty interesting system, even though it is frankly overkill given how easy the game is. Hopefully they can put a refined version to better use in a future AC game.

- The fastest way to level up assassins is through the map game, yes. Also they gain experience when you use them in a fight, but I'm not sure if it's that much. The map game has all these intricacies the more you play it... you can assign master assassins to cities and all that jazz. Most of it is honestly overkill.

How do you lower the Templar awareness box?

Again, thanks for the help

Haha I love AC but I agree. Feels a little too easy at this point. I've always liked that you have to change up your approach when fighting different enemy types but generally the combat ends with me standing atop a massive mound of dead guys, missing one health dealie (only because the armor was busted). I've only played about 6 hours though so maybe it gets harder. For me the main challenge with the newer AC games is going for 100% sync.

spats

Beat the game last night and while I hated the side stuff, especially the HORRIBLE excuse for a tower defense game, I found the story really interesting and loved it as much if not more than Brotherhood and 2.
Old Altaïr stuff with him guarding the Apple and Ezio discovering his skeleton was imo really well done and kinda touching, but then him talking to Desmond AND THEN FUTURE SHIT HAPPENED.
Can't decide if I'm left satisfied or unsatisfied by the ending.

Oh and I don't know about anyone else, but I really liked the
first person Tetris block traversal stuff on Animus island. It was interesting way to lay out story exposition and they came up with some visually pretty impressive stuff for the levels.

Oh and I never used the bombs unless the story made me use them. Felt completely useless.

Oh and I never used the bombs unless the story made me use them. Felt completely useless.

Yeah I feel like the game wants me to use bombs and get into crafting sooo bad but I am not into it at all. I'm kind of puzzled that they devoted so much to that whole bomb mechanic. I would've liked to have seen an expansion to the stealth and assassination abilites....maybe the ability to make a silencer for the gun, or the ability to craft uniforms and costumes to sneak into templar dens or something.

Top Bottom