• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Irish

Oh and I never used the bombs unless the story made me use them. Felt completely useless.

Man, they were so damn handy. I didn't even bother buying the crossbow this time around because the bombs were so much more useful. You can use a distraction bomb to gather all the guards in a single area in one spot and then toss a lethal bomb their way to completely destroy them. So nice.

Also, AC has and will continue to be a game where standing on a mountain of corpses really is the way the game is meant to be played (to me at least).

I didnt bother with the bomb crafting stuff myself, (other than a few distraction bombs and even those felt cheap). Assassins Creed is at its most fun when you have to actually sneakily get close enough to your target to stealth assassinate him. I hope they remember that for AC3.

edgefusion

I never used the bombs either. There's something about a super sneaky, silent as the wind assassin using explosive devices willy nilly that seems completely wrong. It felt out of character to be chucking a grenade at a dude and alerting the entire city to my presence instead of silently knifing him in the face.

Irish

Assassins Creed is at its most fun when you have to actually sneakily get close enough to your target to stealth assassinate him. I hope they remember that for AC3.

Eh, to me, AC has always been about being BIG. Stealth is really a recent addition from the expansions for the most part.

Now, about being BIG. In Assassin's Creed, the villains were the ones who were extremely showy. Tamir, the first target, stabs the everloving shit out of a non-compliant merchant in the middle of a crowded fountain. Then you had, Garnier, the mad doctor, who was literally breaking people's minds down through torture and had a man who tried to escape's legs broken and then dragged back into the darkness. Next was that fat man, Abu'l, who poisoned everyone who attended his party. After the first couple deaths, the other targets began to anticipate Altair's coming and it got to them in different ways. Several prepared traps or rouses for him, like Talil, the archer, and Robert de Sable, the leader (who had Maria stand in for him so she would die and he would not). Others, like Sibrand and William, became rather paranoid. It drove Sibrand absolutely mad and he began to see Assassins everywhere and executed his own men with an arrow through their throats. William secured himself in his heavily fortified stronghold. Jubair, on the other hand, continued on, absorbed with his Templar work to eliminate knowledge from the world.

These were BIG personalities. Altair had a very large personality as well; however, unlike the villains in the game, he often was forced to stifle it because it brought about opposition from his fellows. Still, it often slipped through. I mean, that bigness within him is what allowed him to rise quickly to the higher ranks of the Assassin order. Unfortunately, it was also what finally brought him so low at the very beginning of the game. He felt as if he was above the creed and it almost ended him. This is where he began to realize that he could not continue to be the man he truly was. He had to lock that bigness away. Of course, it continuously slipped through throughout his life. It is what allowed him to be his own man and not follow Al Mualim, his mentor, in blind faith. He defeated him and immediately took (and took is the best word) the leadership role and made it his own. As we see in Revelations though, his leadership definitely does not go unquestioned. It makes sense after all, because the other Assassins were not entirely fond of Altair in the first place. He was a very divisive entity.

Of course, the game itself had some big actions too. I mean, in the final sequence of the game, Altair literally fights through two different armies to get to his 'final' target, where once again he defeats a dozen men along with Robert de Sable in combat. BIG

In the Ezio trilogy, however, the people themselves aren't what is big. Instead, the bigness comes from Ezio's actions. Ezio is a small man who very much has a desire to be big. At the very depths of his being and what makes his personality and actions what they are, is the desire to be noticed, feared, and wanted. Even as a young non-Assassin he tries his damnedest to charm the pants off all those around him. He is constantly fishing for female attention. In addition to that, we see that he surrounds himself with people who make him feel big. That is what his little gang is all about in the very beginning of ACII. Once his family is murdered and he dons Giovanni's Assassin garb, Ezio once again begins his quest to be known. In his very first kill (on Uberto Alberti), Ezio screams out:

"The Auditore are not dead! I'm still here! Me! Ezio! Ezio Auditore!"

Ezio then goes on to perform big actions to let his presence be known. For example, he sets an entire damn city on fire and then becomes a winged angel of death. Every time he gets to a new city he immediately lets it be known that he is there. When he gets to Rome, one of the first things he does is blow up a huge fucking tower. The same thing happens when he first gets to Constantinople and throughout the rest of the game. He then destroys a fleet of ships as he is making his escape from the city. After that, he END GAME SPOILERS
ends up soaring above the rest of the world using his parachute at the end of the game.
Of course, at the very end of the game, Ezio finally admits that
he truly isn't cut out for being big and was simply being pushed along a path he had no control over whatsoever all along.

Anyway, what I think this whole post is about is to show that BIG is inherently part of the Assassin's Creed formula. Stealth and subtlety, on the other hand, aren't there as much. That's why I believe the bombs make absolute sense for Ezio to use and why it seems ridiculous to think that ACIII will be more about sneakiness. The series is very showy and will continue to be that way, I would say.

Irish I agree with what your saying, and in a way being big and showy is great for certain segments of the gameplay, but when Assassins Creed was first announced it was shown as a stealthy game. The idea of being an Assassin who stealthily murdered his enemies but then showed off the kill was interesting. The idea of being Rambo who showed off on the way to the kill is a lot less interesting because quite frankly other games do that better.

So yeah style wise, I hope the series continues being as bold as it has been, but the balance in my mind is stealthily taking out your target and then making a big show of things when you escape. You shouldnt really be using the bombs on the way to the target and I hope in the next game the mission design allows you to just be a badass with a wristblade. There where a few too many missions in ACR where it was clear they wanted you to throw distraction bombs, when I think it would have been more fun to figure out a path through the environment where I could dodge the guards.

To be fair ACR did strike a good balance, but I want some more pure Assassination Missions next time round. The flashy missions where you destroy an entire Harbour are still fun of course, but I want them to try and focus on allowing for some more stealthy tools aswell as the flashy aggro tools they have been developing over the last few games.

Irish

I agree with you as well. They should definitely go back to where they have the quieter/stealthy sections leading up to and possibly during the kill, but then the escapes should just be balls to the walls insanity.

In fact, the Assassin's Creed concept video from 2004 really showed that dynamic off pretty well, I thought. I just wish we could get it in a better quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiEYYfj2FpU

iNvid02

i cant find that article but it goes into detail about why they had to shift away from AC1 style and make AC2 so different.

It wasn't that AC1 wasn't successful but there were some problems, but i honestly cant remember it now

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Assassination trains are :lol Target assassinates their target. I assassinate them two seconds later. Someone jumps from a roof and kills me. Someone else kills them. :lol

I don't understand. I don't understand why they had to inject tower defense gameplay and those boring Desmond platforming puzzles in my Assassin's Creed. All they had to do was to replicate AC2 or AC:B. Granted, the rest of the game is great. Very great even so. It's like watching 3 beautiful women, but no matter how you look at it, you can't but notice this huge mole on the cheek of one of them. It's hard to ignore.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Man, is there anyway to play multiplayer in a level restricted game? It's getting very tiring to be level 15 or so and playing game after game after game with 3 or 4 level 50 players.

Just finished today. I hate all the den defense and mini games. If I wanted to play a game like that then that is what I would do. These games are only as strong as the story and that was the problem with this game. There needed to be more revelation in my revelations. Ending was decent but didn't clearly address some plot threads.

I did enjoy the game though. I just think the yearly thing hurt them this time.

I don't understand. I don't understand why they had to inject tower defense gameplay and those boring Desmond platforming puzzles in my Assassin's Creed. All they had to do was to replicate AC2 or AC:B. Granted, the rest of the game is great. Very great even so. It's like watching 3 beautiful women, but no matter how you look at it, you can't but notice this huge mole on the cheek of one of them. It's hard to ignore.

The FPS sections felt like an experiment that had been crammed in. If they can improve them (make them like Mirror's Edge) then fine, otherwise I'd prefer they vanish.

no angel

Finished this last night and I'm left feeling the same way I did after completing brotherhood. I can understand why others don't like the story or enjoy the gameplay but it's totally my guilty pleasure. I know it's a bit clunky, and plot is more than a little hokey, but I can't get enough of it and I can't wait for number three. Knew I'd hate the tower defence so I made sure I didn't need to play it outside of the tutorial, the bombs were ok but again not essential to the gameplay. Didn't HATEHATEHATE the first person sections but like everyone else much preferred the puzzle aspects of the previous 2 games.

Quick question, is there any more to embers than the 20 minute video included with Recollection on the iPad? I'm pretty sure that's it but I'd like to check.

Ok completed the story and had a go of mp coming from brotherhood I was hugely disappointed everything was a downgrade IMO

-Codes from game are broken no mp characters or the ultimate armour appeared
-Hookblade is worst invention ever, I rarely used it completely useless since if you even do come across a wire it's usually pointing in the direction you don't want to go in
-I never used bombs unless I was forced to, another stupid invention, smoke bomb is all I ever need and it wasn't even in the game
-Everytime you build something the red bar goes up you are forced to find people to bribe who are usually far away, time consuming and stupid, the income was reduced per building so you were left with less cash and forced to wait
- If you ain't waiting on a building some asshole templar scout will appear and kill you, completely stupid concept
-Constantinople was the blandest city yet, did not like it one bit
-The only character I liked was Sophia
- The story was so boring, none of it caught my attention apart from Altair segments, even if I did not like his voice change.
- The fragment piece puzzles was just not my cup of tea, trying to be portal and failing
- Ezios movements were more sluggish and unresponsive, not sure if this was intentional but really annoyed me, holding the trigger you can't slightly jump off an object instead he will fall of the edge and hold onto it
- Finally got somewhere with the story and I'm assuming no more Ezio in Creed 3
- Mp the maps are small the camera is too sensitive, you can't choose your own abilitys, it plays so much worse than brotherhood
- Tower conquest game I hated and did everything possible to avoid playing it
- The game was the glitchiest yet, from soldiers not responding, falling through buildings and the music keep repeating itself after 2 seconds

Overall I'd rate this 6/10

Irish

Ok completed the story and had a go of mp coming from brotherhood I was hugely disappointed everything was a downgrade IMO

-Hookblade is worst invention ever, I rarely used it completely useless since if you even do come across a wire it's usually pointing in the direction you don't want to go in
-I never used bombs unless I was forced to, another stupid invention, smoke bomb is all I ever need and it wasn't even in the game
-Everytime you build something the red bar goes up you are forced to find people to bribe who are usually far away, time consuming and stupid, the income was reduced per building so you were left with less cash and forced to wait

- If you ain't waiting on a building some asshole templar scout will appear and kill you, completely stupid concept
-Constantinople was the blandest city yet, did not like it one bit

- The fragment piece puzzles was just not my cup of tea, trying to be portal and failing
- Ezios movements were more sluggish and unresponsive, not sure if this was intentional but really annoyed me, holding the trigger you can't slightly jump off an object instead he will fall of the edge and hold onto it
- Mp the maps are small the camera is too sensitive, you can't choose your own abilitys, it plays so much worse than brotherhood
- The game was the glitchiest yet, from soldiers not responding, falling through buildings and the music keep repeating itself after 2 seconds
Overall I'd rate this 6/10

Um... incorrect. All of that. Incorrect. It's not even my opinion vs. your opinion. It's just incorrect.

- Hookblade is used for far more than just ziplines. Did you somehow miss the entire tutorial on that?

- There are smoke bombs in this game. I know. I used them. Quite a bit in fact.

- Heralds or Witnesses always manage to spawn within a 100 ft radius of you. Once they do, you can use the same one continuously until your meter is completely down.

- You can stand on the ground for hours without ever being attacked by a stalker

- This one is more of an opinion, I guess. But no way in hell is Constantinople bland. Just can't see it.

- I don't see how the Desmond segments were at all like portal. At all. You may not like them (I didn't all that much), but they were not very similar to portal or even attempting to be like Portal.

- Yes, you can slightly jump off the side of an object. Very easily. No unresponsiveness on my end either. I guess you could say he had some weight to him this time, but I don't believe it added any sluggishness to the movement, just more believability.

- You can choose your own abilities in MP. In fact, you have more customization this go around than you did in Brohood.

- Now, glitches are always different from person to person, so I can't say specifically how glitchy your game in particular was. Mine, on the other hand, ran more smoothly than the other three. Far less jank.

It's not even like I'm just an ultra-defender of the game here. These were all just wrong and not actually aspects of the game.

My biggest issue with the first person segments is from a story perspective they were useless. I was expecting every time I finished one to have 16 show up with some more info similar to AC:B. That's why is was such a distraction. I liked being in a smaller city. It was getting crazy have to ride a horse everywhere to get somewhere. The bombs were useless in combat because they were slow. The idea was pretty good but this is what happens when you keep piling on an outdated engine.

edgefusion

My biggest issue with the first person segments is from a story perspective they were useless. I was expecting every time I finished one to have 16 show up with some more info similar to AC:B. That's why is was such a distraction. I liked being in a smaller city. It was getting crazy have to ride a horse everywhere to get somewhere. The bombs were useless in combat because they were slow. The idea was pretty good but this is what happens when you keep piling on an outdated engine.

I really would like to see more of 16, I hope they put him in the next game. That character has such an opportunity to be fleshed out so much more. He's totally nuts in an unpredictable kind of way and it makes him sort of exciting.

UrbanRats

I was disappointed aswell.

Finished the story and actually didn't found anything else fun to do.
The story was also very very short.
Rarely used the bombs, they weren't super useful, but the thing is: i couldn't bother to craft them every other minute, so i just stopped caring.
So i did with the Assassins' Dens, i hate Tower defence games, the assassins were too slow to get to master rank, so i just let them burn away and got on with the main quest.
The game also felt more glithy and unpolished, although nothing tragic.

Instanbul was very very beautiful, aside from that shitty fog effect that was basically a texture splattered on the screen (don't know how to describe it).
Ziplines were cool, but not as cool as the horse in Brotherhood.
The story was the standard Assassin's Creed crazyness, which i'm starting to get fond of, as shitty as it is.
I don't like the fact that we see
life and death of Altair (a character we barely used) but they simply don't have a true epilogue for Ezio (who we have used since his birth)-- yeah, he drops the Assassin's life, but a little section/cutscene with his childrens, his sister or something, would've been a nice goodbye, damn..

All in all, i think i'm gonna rank them like this:

ACb>AC2>>>ACr.
AC1 was crap, i would like to erase it from my memory.

Assassin's Creed 2 had a far more interesting story arc and approach (seeing the life of Ezio unfolding from the very very beginning) and had two cities + several towns, which made for a greater sense of adventure, journey and scale.
But Brotherhood simply had too many amazing gameplay features, to not be above it, the brotherhood, the Borgia Towers, the crossbow, the horses being actually useful, a far better level design..
Revelations takes MANY steps back from Brotherhood, and feels really small, but added a few decent things: the bombs thing has potential, the hookblade is not bad and.. that's it?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it over the holidays and enjoyed the ending and the game overall. Not my favorite of the series but still good. I managed to only have to do the den defence three times including the tutorial thankfully. I hope for AC3 they go back to the glyph puzzles and ditch den defence.

Also, Embers was awesome!

Irish

Ziplines were cool, but not as cool as the horse in Brotherhood.

the horses being actually useful

I'm just going to focus on this point, because we've already been over how much I can't stand ACII or its characters:

Brotherhood had the worst horses in the entire series. Sure, the assassination animations they added to the horses were cool, but the horses themselves were absolutely awful. They were unbearably slow and less responsive than the horses were in the previous games. Such a giant step backwards.

Kinyou

I don't like the fact that we see
life and death of Altair (a character we barely used) but they simply don't have a true epilogue for Ezio (who we have used since his birth)-- yeah, he drops the Assassin's life, but a little section/cutscene with his childrens, his sister or something, would've been a nice goodbye, damn..
Yeah that was just such an abrupt ending. I felt like "oh, so that's the true ending" when I watched the Embers short movie.

Also does anyone else think that in AC 3
we might not get into the past at all? I mean nothing suggested that Desmond would need to use the Animus again.

hiverbon

Neo Member
- Yes, you can slightly jump off the side of an object. Very easily. No unresponsiveness on my end either. I guess you could say he had some weight to him this time, but I don't believe it added any sluggishness to the movement, just more believability.

I think he means dropping off of rooftops to ground level, which I also had huge problems with. I don't remember this issue being in previous AC games but maybe I'm misremembering. If you want to just fall off from the top of a regular height rooftop to the ground below, the way I see it, there are 4 options, all of them bad:

1. Hold down RT and run towards edge - this only works on falls of a certain height (1 storey-ish), anything above that and Ezio will do his "woaaaaah im way high up and nearly fell off" animation. Ideally, running towards ANY edge with RT held down should cause you to fall off, this does not happen.
2. Hold down RT + A and run towards edge - this will make you jump forward off the rooftop, and either completely overshoot where you want to be or grab onto other geometry you don't want to grab on.
3. Hold down RT + B and run towards edge - this will make you do a speedy turn-grab when you fall, which actually feels pretty nice but is ruined by you being unable to drop off instantly after you've done it, you have to wait for the animation to play out. It's also 2 actions.
4. Walk to the edge, then press B twice in slow succession - this will make you do a slower turn-grab, which can then be dropped out of. This has similar problems to 3 in that you have to wait for the animation to finish before dropping again, AND its 2 actions.

If this all makes no sense, load up the game, go to the top of any rooftop with a 2-3 storey drop to street level, and try and drop down to the street below without getting frustrated. Hopefully I've just not discovered a better method and there's an easier way of descending.

Just started this up, loved the last two but the the defense mini talk is scarring me, Im not a fan at all, I just want to run around, assassinate dudes and enjoy the crazy story, dont want to play defense mini games in AC.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah that was just such an abrupt ending. I felt like "oh, so that's the true ending" when I watched the Embers short movie.

Also does anyone else think that in AC 3
we might not get into the past at all? I mean nothing suggested that Desmond would need to use the Animus again.

The developers stated that Desmond will still be returning to the Animus and reliving someone's past because if the game wasn't based on that formula, it wouldn't be AC. I don't know what reason they're going to use or what time period but rest assured that we're going back into the Animus of ACIII.

UrbanRats

I'm just going to focus on this point, because we've already been over how much I can't stand ACII or its characters:

Brotherhood had the worst horses in the entire series. Sure, the assassination animations they added to the horses were cool, but the horses themselves were absolutely awful. They were unbearably slow and less responsive than the horses were in the previous games. Such a giant step backwards.
Are you on a mission from Ubisoft? :p

Anyhow, i don't really get the characters bit, i said i'm getting fond of the characters, but not because they're good or well written.
Assassin's Creed it's pretty much shit on this account, not arguing that.

Regarding the horses, i think they controlled just fine, and there were 3 kinds of them, some were faster than others. But ofcourse they were slower, since you had to navigate in a much narrower space, faster than going on foot, anyway.
The thing is, you actually used them for something in Brotherhood, you could call them with a whistle, you could assassinate from them; in AC1/2, you used them to move between one walled town to the other and little else.

I'll give it a shot, as i said, it has become like a dirty pleasure, it's so bad it's good, in a way.

BTW, i think it would be a huge mistake to leave the historycal setting.
A great part of AC is about known figures taking sides in the Assassins/Templars extravaganza, they couldn't do any of that in a game set in the present/future, without resorting to pop culture stuff (ugh), as in Bush is a Templar - Obama is an Assassin (yes, i'm labeling two political figures as pop culture willingly).

Mikeside

OK, getting seriously pissed off with the crashing now - happens every time I boot up the multiplayer, usually on the first game I play, but occasionally on the 2nd or 3rd game - whole PC just locks up, video freezes and I get 1/10th of a second worth of audio looping so it sounds like grinding metal.

All this because the game doesn't support my onboard sound card?

I had the same issue with Brotherhood - really didn't think it'd still be fucked

WTF UBISOFT! I WANT TO PLAY YOUR DAMN GAME!!!

Um... incorrect. All of that. Incorrect. It's not even my opinion vs. your opinion. It's just incorrect.

- Hookblade is used for far more than just ziplines. Did you somehow miss the entire tutorial on that?

It is useless the big leap it does, is a copy of the jump from past games and it makes the him look cheap as an assassin, you are just randomly given it and serves very little purpose.

I never saw them even after looking in the bomb crafting section, shows how terrible the game is

- Heralds or Witnesses always manage to spawn within a 100 ft radius of you. Once they do, you can use the same one continuously until your meter is completely down.

Wrong they don't always spawn in 100ft radius, sometimes I'd have to run around ages just for one to pop up even after looking at the full map

- You can stand on the ground for hours without ever being attacked by a stalker

Again wrong, please actually play the game instead of spouting false information

- This one is more of an opinion, I guess. But no way in hell is Constantinople bland. Just can't see it.

Compared to Italy and Rome it very much is, that crap fog they implemented was a bad idea as well

- I don't see how the Desmond segments were at all like portal. At all. You may not like them (I didn't all that much), but they were not very similar to portal or even attempting to be like Portal.

They were a half baked idea implemented to try make the game longer showing a bit of back story for Desmond

No in past games you hold the trigger and he would jump off any object, now however you can't you have to hold x as well which means he flys off miles away and possibly dies, and his climbing animations definitely took longer then previous games

- You can choose your own abilities in MP. In fact, you have more customization this go around than you did in Brohood.

If you can it won't let you do it at lower levels, the small maps are a joke and the multiplayer is definitely dumbed down from brohood

- Now, glitches are always different from person to person, so I can't say specifically how glitchy your game in particular was. Mine, on the other hand, ran more smoothly than the other three. Far less jank.

You must be playing a different game to me then, Revelations is far worse overall then the previous 2 games, Assassins creed 1 was dogshit so I won't count that one

It's not even like I'm just an ultra-defender of the game here. These were all just wrong and not actually aspects of the game.

You clearly are, I played the games in succession before I started revelations so I got a better feel of the game to compare them, the story was short as hell compared to previous additions as well as lots of rubbish additions that were clearly not tested, the game was a rush fest it's a shame you can't see that

It is useless the big leap it does, is a copy of the jump from past games and it makes the him look cheap as an assassin, you are just randomly given it and serves very little purpose.

You can't be serious. The hookblade leap is "useless"? It makes the world so much more easily traversable. All that BS from the previous ACs where you'd get to a level where there's no hand-hold just within reach, so you can't go higher without moving sideways? That's pretty much gone in this game, due to the hookblade. That's "useless"? What are you on?

I never saw them even after looking in the bomb crafting section, shows how terrible the game is

What the....

Wrong they don't always spawn in 100ft radius, sometimes I'd have to run around ages just for one to pop up even after looking at the full map

That's actually fair. I definitely had some issues lowering the templar meter due to lacking heralds at certain times of day. It was annoying.

Again wrong, please actually play the game instead of spouting false information

No, he's right....

---

Look, Revelations is rather a letdown, and there are plenty of criticisms to make for it, but your are... um.... mostly not right.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
You can't be serious. The hookblade leap is "useless"? It makes the world so much more easily traversable. All that BS from the previous ACs where you'd get to a level where there's no hand-hold just within reach, so you can't go higher without moving sideways? That's pretty much gone in this game, due to the hookblade. That's "useless"? What are you on?

I didn't see this as a plus actually. Removing the need to think about how to climb certain things did not engage me more. It was useful in that it was pretty much an auto-climb, but I didn't necessarily want that and would have liked the option of unequiping it. Ezio being able to climb much faster now also clashes with the theme of playing an older Ezio.

Having your arm extend an extra few centimeters while jumping from roof to roof is also somewhat useful but looks awkward especially when you miss. In combat, the hidden blades always felt more satisfying and Ezio. Sliding across ziplines is a good extra movement option in theory but was seldom applicable.

I didn't see this as a plus actually. Removing the need to think about how to climb certain things did not engage me more.

I can respect that point of view, but that's not the point of contention here. The point of contention here is whether or not it's "useless," which it assuredly is not (quite the opposite).

@Redredsuit

I was waiting next to a bank doing nothing while the game collected cash, I was attacked numerous times, please don't say I'm wrong when I've seen it with my own eyes, regarding the hookblade, just pushing 1 button to climb up any tower is good? seems cheap to me, why the smoke bomb wasn't standard is beyond me, it made me craft 3 different types of bombs and I couldn't see any smoke ones, they unnecessary added loads more for no reason

rdrr gnr

I agree with you as well. They should definitely go back to where they have the quieter/stealthy sections leading up to and possibly during the kill, but then the escapes should just be balls to the walls insanity.

In fact, the Assassin's Creed concept video from 2004 really showed that dynamic off pretty well, I thought. I just wish we could get it in a better quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiEYYfj2FpU

Like AC1? No thanks. The game is great because everything can be instant satisfaction if you wish it to be. Keep the stealth option to Full Sync.

UrbanRats

Regarding the stalkers, it's strange, i've had 3 of them attacking me during ONE mission (i had to tail a dude, incidentally enough) then nothing for hours.
Kinda random.

I want to try and finish this up before I start my spring semester next week, but the thought of having to go back to play and have to periodically keep doing the Assassin's Tower defense stuff really sounds unappealing to me along with hearing how the story isn't as up to par as the rest of the series.

I was waiting next to a bank doing nothing while the game collected cash, I was attacked numerous times

Um... well... OK... if you're going to be doing cheesy things like that you probably deserve to be stabbed multiple times. If you just play the game -- and I will add that you should never have money issues, so there's never any real need to stand around waiting for money -- then the stabby templar guys will be a small nuisance and rarely at that.

regarding the hookblade, just pushing 1 button to climb up any tower is good? seems cheap to me

You can call it whatever you want, but it's certainly not "useless," which was your original claim.

why the smoke bomb wasn't standard is beyond me, it made me craft 3 different types of bombs and I couldn't see any smoke ones, they unnecessary added loads more for no reason

The smoke bomb is just as standard as any other type. It is available for crafting right away.

UrbanRats

I want to try and finish this up before I start my spring semester next week, but the thought of having to go back to play and have to periodically keep doing the Assassin's Tower defense stuff really sounds unappealing to me along with hearing how the story isn't as up to par as the rest of the series.

You can rush through the main story few missions without missing much.
Just ignore your dens.

Also, the story is pretty much on par with the series, imo.

Irish

1. It is useless the big leap it does, is a copy of the jump from past games and it makes the him look cheap as an assassin, you are just randomly given it and serves very little purpose.

2. I never saw them even after looking in the bomb crafting section, shows how terrible the game is

3. Wrong they don't always spawn in 100ft radius, sometimes I'd have to run around ages just for one to pop up even after looking at the full map

4. Again wrong, please actually play the game instead of spouting false information

5. No in past games you hold the trigger and he would jump off any object, now however you can't you have to hold x as well which means he flys off miles away and possibly dies, and his climbing animations definitely took longer then previous games

6. If you can it won't let you do it at lower levels

7. You must be playing a different game to me then, Revelations is far worse overall then the previous 2 games, Assassins creed 1 was dogshit so I won't count that one

8. You clearly are, I played the games in succession before I started revelations so I got a better feel of the game to compare them, the story was short as hell compared to previous additions as well as lots of rubbish additions that were clearly not tested, the game was a rush fest it's a shame you can't see that

1. No, the hookblade jump allows you to go much higher and much faster than the jump and grab. You can catch yourself much easier as well. Already more useful without even going into the combat avoidance maneuvers such as the hook and run, hook and throw, scaffolding grab, trip, counter steal, and others.

2. Wait... so the game is awful because you're blind/incapable of looking at a screen for more than few seconds at a time. The smoke bombs are clearly there.

3. From the four different test points I used, there was always either a herald or witness within that 200' circle. Maybe I got lucky?

4. I've had Rev running nonstop on my PS3 this whole time while doublechecking everything here and writing this post up. Have yet to be attacked and I'm just standing in the middle of the street with full templar awareness.

5. Just checked. Doesn't happen in AC1, 2, Brohood, or Rev once you get past a certain height threshold. As hiverbon pointed out earlier, it only works at about a one story height.

6. That's a possibility. Haven't played it in a while. But you do unlock them very quickly if so.

7. Nope, not at all. Of course, I tend to be lucky in general when it comes to bugs.

8. I've played each game numerous times as well. Before and After Rev. The story sequences are definitely shorter, but comparable in length to Brohood. Also wouldn't say it wasn't tested. I mean, people like different things. I consider AC1 to be the pinnacle of the series after all.

Are you on a mission from Ubisoft? :p

Anyhow, i don't really get the characters bit, i said i'm getting fond of the characters, but not because they're good or well written.
Assassin's Creed it's pretty much shit on this account, not arguing that.

BTW, i think it would be a huge mistake to leave the historcal setting.

Well, if I am, they clearly aren't paying me well enough. Otherwise, I wouldn't be constantly comparing how flawed their newer games are in certain areas when compared to the 'dogshit' game in the series. :p

Nah, that part was just kinda unrelated and not so much addressed to you. I honestly think Altair is one of the best written characters in gaming at the moment and all of the one on one dialogue in AC1 is fantastically well-done for being non-casual conversations.

I don't believe the story went totally batshit until ACII.

Also, I really do think the future of this series lies in an entirely fictional world with early-era armament and architecture. It would give Ubi a lot of freedom and I think it would work out quite nicely. They can even use real historical architecture currently underused in gaming at the moment.

iNvid02

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

i'll say this, the story felt short but completing the game 100% took about 22hrs.

i finished brotherhood before that again, almost 100% and it took just 18hrs.

so the length of the game is not a problem

Tawpgun

The bombs were really only needed toward the end of the game, and even then they aren't necessary. They help you to be stealthy and to stay away from sword fighting action.

I used the cherry bombs, smoke, and splinter bombs a lot. Never touched any other ones.

The hook was amazing. Climbing shit became so much better. The ziplines were great and the hook and run was amazing and I used it all the time.

Constantinople is better than Rome imo. But I want the series to return to multiple cities.

They should really expand upon the assassin bros. Training them I mean. I don't want it to take more time, but there should be more to it than clicking a mission, seeing the odds, above 70? Do it. Maybe make it more strategic. Add more depth.

If they can take anything from RDR, it would be dynamic random encounters. We had the templar stalkers and pickpockets but they rarely happened. More side missions too. Interesting ones.

And the big thing I want from the series that was lost with AC1 is actual assassination missions where you need to gather intel and actually be stealthy.

I liked that the collectibles in the game had tangible rewards with the Hagia Sophia Puzzle that unlocks the armor. Even though the armor was hideous. And the animus fragments unlocking Desmond memories.

Which brings me to my question...

The Animus Island has 7 pillar doors on the hill... but only 5 memories. Is this supposed to be some obvious sign for DLC? A development mistake? I already have all 100 fragments and the other doors still have nothing in them.

i'll say this, the story felt short but completing the game 100% took about 22hrs.

IMO the length of the main story is a problem. It felt insubstantial, with only the Altair memories really providing anything of interest, and there were not a lot of them. The main story of Revelations, as set in Constantinople, felt like maybe one city's worth of missions in AC II (if that) in terms of length.

rataven

For those of you who aren't really into using bombs, give the Piri Reis missions a try. They serve as great introductions for the various types. After completing them, I was crafting and tossing bombs left and right.

The great thing about bombs is they allow me to play Rev the way I most enjoy - that is, stealthily, with little fuss and minimal casualties (which is why I can agree with the guy who struggled with Ezio's actions in Cappadocia). I think they're a great addition, and hope to see them return in III, with a little of the fat trimmed.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game, though it's my least favorite in the series, so I guess that's saying something. I platinum'ed Rev about two weeks ago, and have mostly been screwing around in MP with friends ever since. I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to Ezio yet, so I'm hopeful we'll get some meaty SP DLC along the lines of the Da Vinci Disappearance (actually, I'd like to see Leo again anyway. Give us Ezio's return to Italy in DLC and I'd be over the moon).

Irish

For those of you who aren't really into using bombs, give the Piri Reis missions a try. They serve as great introductions for the various types. After completing them, I was crafting and tossing bombs left and right.

You know, it wasn't until after I did those missions that I really fell in love with the idea, so maybe those missions really are a necessity.

UrbanRats

Are you talking to me? (Since i mentioned the length of the game).
I didn't check the numbers, but i'm sure i played Brotherhood for a LOT more.
Granted i didn't do the story missions one after the other and being the PC version, it probably had all the dlcs, but Revelations lasted me a couple of days, playing through the main story that felt really short.
There wasn't anything else interesting to do, anyway (at least, i havent' seen it) and the Desomnd FP stuff, i didn't care for.

It may have been a perception thing, or it may be that the Revelations' extra stuff is mostly time consuming repetitive garbage, but it felt really really short, compared to ACB.

For clarity: i didn't 100% ACB, and i have done very little extra stuff in ACR (i haven't uninstalled it yet), from what i've tried so far, i found none of the extra stuff rewarding enough, but i'll give it another shot sometime these days.

Scapegoat

Reposting my thoughts as the spoilers thread seems dead!!

Apologies for the length... I just really like Assassins Creed :)

Though I enjoyed Revelations overall, to me it felt like a small step backwards, and the first signs that the yearly cycle has negatively affected the quality of the final product. Brotherhood I felt was able to maintain the momentum from AC2 adding just as many new awesome stuff that kept the experience mixed up while bringing heaps more of the crazy fun we expected. Crazy da Vinci missions, brain teaser Subject 16 puzzles, Christina memories, new Brotherhood mechanic, bunch of new Assassins tombs.

Desmond's memories - cool for what they were but I was very disappointed with how they played out and felt they could have been a lot better. Playing in first person was kind of fun (perhaps more novel?) but the "mechanics" associated with it were so bland. Don't touch the black coloured walls. Oh, and you can create a floating plank or wedge in front of you for some reason. I loved the narration by Desmond and learning about his early life but the gameplay wrapped around it didn't feel particularly rewarding. I get that they wouldn't have the time and money to say, actually recreate the scenes that Desmond was describing
(e.g. getting up every morning going for a run at the farm, running away etc)
but I thought they could have leveraged the virtual reality style of these levels to create a "pre-vis" version of the narration, sort of similar to how Valve's "orange boxed" early level work looks. They kind of did this at some points, I remember when Desmond describes
escaping down a river at the same time you move down a river like tunnel
- it would have been cool if they had taken it further rather than spend all their time coming up with the thin block mechanic.

I was really disappointed with the way Subject 16 was handled. In the previous games he was sort of you but 5 steps ahead and always just out of reach. In Brotherhood the culmination of his fragmented memory puzzles ended with the final VR test challenge and then his veiled appearance and cryptic speech (which was awesome)... what was he talking about there? "her"? Now we finally get dropped onto virtual island with him and Desmond doesn't seem to ask him ANYTHING! Kind of reminds me on Lost when heaps of viewers were emailing into the official podcast asking why none of the survivors seemed to talk about anything with each other like the fact a bunch of them just saw a giant smoke monster chase them down and kill a guy.

I did not get why they cut it back to just heralds and a rare witness for getting rid of your notoriety. Is it because they want you to play the den defense game and so took out all the wanted posters? The actual den defense game felt very half baked for me, but I found the improvements to the Brotherhood system to be excellent. How they expanded the system allowing you to assign assassins to your dens and then did missions mentoring them felt awesome. The fleshed out world metagame was so much fun, stationing your assassins around the world while recruiting more.

Really liked the addition of bombs and the hookblade, however as they add more and more to the combat and traversal system the animations get more and more janky with lots of clipping through multiple dudes and your character floating about in different directions. I just wish there were more zip lines. And while I'm on the subject what happened to the lifts! This confused me to no end, they add in these new lifts (was it in Brotherhood or AC2?) which makes getting onto the rooftops really easy and convenient, AND THERES LIKE ONE IN THE ENTIRE CITY!!! Am I right here? I felt like you use one very early on (it's near the top of the map close to the Assassins HQ) in a story mission and then you never see another one again. It's like in each game they add in ways to make the movement and traversal quicker and more fun, but then shoot themselves in the foot by placing them really sparingly. Same thing with those springboards that were in Brotherhood (I think?).

I loved how Ezio and and Altair's stories came together (as previously mentioned
lighting and then putting out the fires in the library
sent a shiver down my spine) but was not very blown away by any of the information Desmond got. I also felt like the CG movie
showing the first solar flare
was.... underwelming.... especially after seeing the quality of Assassins Creed: Embers afterwards, everything in the cutscene looked so clean for the destruction of the world and all you really saw was a lot of glass breaking. Reminded me of that gag in Family Guy where Stewie and Brian blowup the house they were trying to do up and they just show it exploding from different angles for like 30 seconds.

I was confused with the item locked in Altair's vault being
another Apple... I was expecting some mindblowing information since we already have an Apple, but I guess two Apples are better then one...? I thought what we would find would be a final key that Altair left behind which contained all the wisdom and understanding that he gained after a lifetime of studying the Apple from his very limited world view

I was really gutted when you learn that
Lucy was in fact dead :( :( :(, I think I was holding on to some sliver of hope that she would survive.... but we got NO information on why she died
... it makes it feels so cheap and I just want answers!!!!
Edit: I just read on a site detailing the end of Brotherhood that they believe that Juno
forced Desmond to kill Lucy in order to fuck him up and send him into the coma.... if that's the case... why couldn't he have stabbed Shaun :(

In the end I felt like they took too much out (barely any tombs compared to Brotherhood!!!, no Subject 16/Templar puzzles) and did not add much in that was worthwhile (Desmond memories half baked, den defense... entirely skipable outside of the tutorial if you play the game in a certain way). While I loved how Ezio and Altair's personal stories intertwined and played out, the story threads with Desmond were really average especially compared to Brotherhood (awesomeness of setting up at the villa in present day, going to Rome at the end, entering that chamber and stabbi-NO I DON'T WANT TO REMEMBER IT HURTS TOO MUCH.

Going off recent discussion:
I found the templar stalkers annoying also. However I quickly learnt to leave Ezio hanging on a ledge if I wanted to generate money. To those of you who don't leave the game running to earn money: do you buy all properties/weapons/items/maps etc? I've found that in every game (AC2, Brotherhood, Revelations) I've had to generate money in this way if I want to buy everything by the end. AC2 was the one game I played through without waiting around and I didn't have enough money to buy everything by the end.

A.Romero

I liked the series quite a bit and I liked revelations as well.

Awesome graphics, nice story/concept, fun gameplay, amazing design...

I didn't like tower defense, though. I also hate collect-a-tons but in order to unlock Demond's memories I guess I will need to collect all the fragments...

I won the first couple of tower defenses, I'm looking at getting a third one (I want to accomplish all of the challenges) but I can't seem to win, for the life of me.

Any pointers to destroy the tank?

Also, how am I supposed to train more assassins (for the challenges) than the actually assassin slots that I have available?

That's kind of BS.

Irish

I liked the series quite a bit and I liked revelations as well.

Awesome graphics, nice story/concept, fun gameplay, amazing design...

I didn't like tower defense, though. I also hate collect-a-tons but in order to unlock Demond's memories I guess I will need to collect all the fragments...

I won the first couple of tower defenses, I'm looking at getting a third one (I want to accomplish all of the challenges) but I can't seem to win, for the life of me.

Any pointers to destroy the tank?

Also, how am I supposed to train more assassins (for the challenges) than the actually assassin slots that I have available?

That's kind of BS.

You'll only need thirty animus fragments to unlock all the Desmond memories.

Use riflemen for the tank.

The challenge doesn't require more assassins than assassin slots.

A.Romero

You'll only need thirty animus fragments to unlock all the Desmond memories.

Use riflemen for the tank.

The challenge doesn't require more assassins than assassin slots.

Great! Thanks!

I think it does. I rememeber recruiting all of them. The last one is supposed to be badly hurt and says that he will report later.

Right now I have recruited them all but still the challenge says I'm missing one.

Top Bottom