• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

iNvid02

Just finished the game...I maybe got 10-ish hours out of it and thats buying most of the properties, a few desmond missions, 10/10 pages for the special armor and all story missions. I liked it but it still isnt as good as AC2 but it IS better than brotherhood IMO. I liked the recruit assassins better in this game than last because you can at least run missions with them and you get a sense of reward when you make all 7 den masters.

The story was all over the place which I'm not surprised about since Ubisoft seems to rush these games out. Overall I give the game a 8/10 and the series as a whole a 7/10. They really need to relax and take their time in between games because the past 2 games felt shallow and the story just didnt evolve itself really well.

i find that hard to believe, are you just guessing or is that what it says under your stats in the menu?

it took me 22ish hrs to 100% this excluding the desmond garbage, but it felt like it flew by.

i'd be surprised if you did it in 10, or maybe i just suck at assassins creed

Roto13

The Desmond sections were awesome. C'mon people.

The story they told wasn't even interesting.
"I was raised on a compound by assassins but I ran away when I was a teenager and apparently bartended for like 17 years until Abstergo kidnapped me and Assassin's Creed 1 happened."
Come on.

The Desmond dreams were a good idea but not very well implemented. Visually they could be stunning at times, and the narrative content was (while not actually containing a lot of revelations) able to paint a nice emotional picture of Desmond, which helps the player identify with his plight through the series. However the gameplay and visual motifs were only vaguely related to the narration with only a couple of exceptions. This made the whole thing kind of pointless.

iNvid02

its too late for desmond, they tried to take that "HES A REGULAR DUDE LIKE YOU" approach but took it too far,
hes boring and lame and no matter what they do, it's not gonna make me care about him at all.

hopefully when his saga is over, probably with ACIII, the next person doesn't have a personality comparable to some chewing gum stuck to the floor

Roto13

Don't be surprised if AC III takes place in the present with Desmond as your main controllable character.

Is it just me or does every AC game get to the point where it feels like the controls just stop working? It's that stupid context sensitivity thing. I shouldn't have to parachute around Galata tower to get that Animus fragment when I'm able to position myself directly above it just because there's a haystack below that makes me push out from the wall whether I want to or not.

Don't be surprised if AC III takes place in the present with Desmond as your main controllable character.

Not gonna happen.

I shouldn't have to parachute around Galata tower to get that Animus fragment when I'm able to position myself directly above it just because there's a haystack below that makes me push out from the wall whether I want to or not.

Hehe. Happened to me too.

That's peanuts though. The biggest issue in this one is the primary-secondary weapon setup. Made me mess up a lot. Just one weapon worked fine in the past.

I'm having a great time with it so far, loving it actually, despite all the tepid comments on gaf. The story for me is just what I wanted, the desmond sections are fun, the masyaf key segments remind me of my favorite scripted moments from Uncharted. The animus fragments, the bombs, the assassin training, everything is great. The one thing I did not enjoy (den defense) is completely optional.

I'm honestly surprised that there were so many that didn't like it. I have no idea how far I am through the main quest, but am not looking forward to it ending.

Roto13

Not gonna happen.

Hehe. Happened to me too.

That's peanuts though. The biggest issue in this one is the primary-secondary weapon setup. Made me mess up a lot. Just one weapon worked fine in the past.

I actually like the weapon setup. Makes it super easy to switch between close and far range combat.

Kind of messes up the idea of the face buttons representing parts of the body, though. :p Unless I'm throwing knives with my head.

Kinyou

They really need to relax and take their time in between games because the past 2 games felt shallow and the story just didnt evolve itself really well.
Isn't Part 3 in development for some time now by the original Ubisoft studio? But maybe I'm confusing my hopes with the reality here.

iNvid02

most likely they had a small team working on it for a while, this is ACIII after all, it cant be comparable to brotherhood or revelations, its gotta be the true sequel to ACII (which was pretty damn good).

im confident they'll deliver and end this story with a bang.

Going back and playing AC1 before Revelations, there's something to be said for the simplicity and economy in the equipment. While the whole puppet concept may have worked then, I feel that with AC2 and onwards they've just been piling stuff on until it reached breaking point. While I can understand keeping the same basic setup going from 1 -> 2 and then from Bro to Rev because of the same character, I hope with ACIII a new character means they'll look at streamlining things down, trimming the overlap and getting back to something that doesn't feel as clunky.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't Part 3 in development for some time now by the original Ubisoft studio? But maybe I'm confusing my hopes with the reality here.

They probably have been working on it since before Brotherhood was released and was the second project aside Revelations.

That said, I hope it makes a similar quality increase like AC1 to AC2.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The Templars. Does there have to be a big bad boss for you to stay interested?
Yes? What kind of story doesn't personify an organsation with a sole person as a goal or counter point to the main character?

I've killed guards and the multiplayer characters so far. Have no idea what Ezio is doing. Hell, Desmon himself speaks of how Abstergo didn't make sense as an enemy when he was a child, because his only experience with them was a logo on a pill bottle. Revelations, funny enough, suffers the same disconnect.

FatCat

I'm kind of torn when it comes to this game. Overall I enjoyed the game more than Brotherhood and am surprised how consistent each yearly episode is...

However there are a couple of things they need to stay away from:

- Desmond sections are absolutely atrocious. They feel tacked on and uninspired. We could have had something in 3rd person à la Ezio with Desmond instead of the first-person crap they pulled off. Story in those sections was boring, really tedious story-telling.
- The "jack of all trades, master of none" gameplay needs to go too. I got off to a really bad start with the game and nearly stopped playing because of some of the tacked on features. I'm talking about the defense game in particular.

Contrary to most people, I actually enjoyed the bomb crafting; I didn't feel forced into this new gameplay element and it is very useful in some situations. I also like the missions that are dedicated to bomb use.

Story-wise, the game started off slowly and the whole first section wasn't very good. Luckily it get MUCH better in the second half of the game. The ending was notably great for many of the reasons people have mentioned in this thread. Ezio character development was nicely handled, you can feel he's becoming too old to be an Assassin.

I'm happy that Ezio's story is finished and will squeal if the next game is set during the French Revolution. So many interesting characters and historical events that could be used and intertwined into the AC universe.

rdrr gnr

"I was raised on a compound by assassins but I ran away when I was a teenager and apparently bartended for like 17 years until Abstergo kidnapped me and Assassin's Creed 1 happened."
Come on.
I understand that. I enjoyed the novelty of it all; how his stories and experiences were manifested in the levels themselves. I found it clever and serene in contrast to the rather dull Desmond portions of other games. And most importantly, I found it to be a respectable attempt at combating the unarguably sound criticisms levied against Desmond's one-dimensional, or even, non-existent personality.

Lol, I was just in the ending and the fucking game bugged in an eternal loading screen after ezio touches
desmond's shoulder
WTF
This happened to someone else? PC version BTW. I hope is not the shitty Uplay servers fault.

Im going to do it again, but Im afraid of seeing that fucking bug again.

EDIT: Thank god, it worked the second time.

Lesiroth

Come on.

You forgot the
SWEAT!

I beat ACR last night and will say that this game had some excellent moments towards the end with Ezio and Altair. The story wasn't that great at the beginning making it really hard to get going the first few hours. I almost feel like Brotherhood and Revelations really could have been one game melding the best of both. I think Ubisoft has screwed things up a bit releasing this franchise every single year. They don't give the story breathing room, but also the same for the consumer.

One good thing with ACR is that they stripped out a lot that hampered the series in the previous releases. I hope that they get rid of den defenses completely and the world will be alright for me. I just did not care for den defenses at all. The smaller map works so much better though I do miss not having a horse, why was that even taken out? Who cares if the world was small, it felt like horses didn't exist here and only during the carriage sequences.

The ending sequences with the skeleton Altair sitting in the chair was just amazing. Then instead of Ezio taking the apple, he leaves it behind because he has had enough of this ****. I was like this is some very deep stuff, so that right there made up for the overall story arc lacking.

ACII -
Sync: 100%
Time Played: 33:00
Distance: Can't recall

ACB -
Sync: 47.52%
Time Played: 20:17
Distance: 161,516

ACR -
Sync: 59.24%
Time Played: 17:51
Distance: 132,971

Going back and playing AC1 before Revelations, there's something to be said for the simplicity and economy in the equipment. While the whole puppet concept may have worked then, I feel that with AC2 and onwards they've just been piling stuff on until it reached breaking point. While I can understand keeping the same basic setup going from 1 -> 2 and then from Bro to Rev because of the same character, I hope with ACIII a new character means they'll look at streamlining things down, trimming the overlap and getting back to something that doesn't feel as clunky.

Yep, agreed. It seems pretty clear they didn't have the heart to take a single feature away from game to game, until eventually the main character is absolutely loaded up with weapons and techniques.

Stupid overly long Ubisoft credits. They apparently have to credit everyone who has ever worked for Ubisoft.

Isn't it just that everybody at Ubisoft works on Assassins Creed these days, barring the interns who make Just Dance and Michel Ancel, who has barricaded himself in Yves Guillmot offices until he can find which button will start the funding for BG&E2?

Well, finished the game.
The first thing I would say id that, even if I liked the game I have more love for AC2 and Brotherhood. In Both AC2 and ACB I have the game completed 100% with most of the achivements even, and both were played something like 50 hours each.
I will not talk about the mess of a game AC1, which was the shortest for me, as I wanted to finish that game as soon as I could after the 2nd chapter (before that I was trying to get the 100%).
ACR was something like 15 to 20 hours and with 85%, at the last 2 chapters I just didnt want to try to get 100%.
At least i think this game got some things right that its predecessors didnt had, but theres also much more things that the other ones had good, and are not so good in this one.

-First, the city is good, but Rome and the AC2 italian cities (with venice as the top one) were MUCH better. The city in this one was smaller, and the buildings, apart from santa sophia and some more were not memorable. I knew this would happen when they announced the city. The worst thing of all, sometimes it feels like a clusterfuck of city that reminds me of the aberrations AC1 had for cities. Not only that but the placement of stores and fast travels were horrible. I never had anything I wanted near when I looked for it, the fast travels being a piece of shit. That never happended to me in ACB (that had a massive city) or the cities of AC2. Its even worse when you dont have a fucking horse. Thats probably why I dont feel to want to get the 100% of this game.

-The story, well I also liked better AC2 and ACB story. I dont understand the hate of ACB story, I fucking love it from start to finish. I dont think the pace was bad as people here said, as it worked perfectly with the side missions. This is not the same with ACR, the game drags from start till nearly the last chapters, and it doesnt mix well with the side missions. When you arrive to the underground city you know you are near the end, but it really doesnt feel like it. Much of this is the characters fault, I will talk about them later. The Desmond story was... strange, I prefer it to the shitty numerical puzzles that unlocked tamplar story bits (the templat buits were the good part, but the puzzles were horrible), but that doesnt mean it couldnt have been better, also I like more desmond's story portion in ACB (when you could walk through the village and talk with the group). And Altair, well, it was interesting, and at least it made me stop hating that overrated (by some people) character and its stupid first game, so lets say it did the trick, but it could have been also better.
Although I will say some setpieces in the main story are really epic. The ending part was the highlight of the game, from the final mission to the credits.

-The characters. Ezio was, as always for me, fucking awesome. He is amazing even as an old man, so i thing this game makes the character great. Then Sofia Sarto was also really good, and I love the chemestry between the two (
and thank god for something happy to happen to Ezio at last
). Prince Suleiman was also good but it could have been much more. The Peri Reis was only a simple side missions guide. And Yusuf lol at him
being killed outside the story
The end. Then the villians... they were fucking HORRIBLE. After the amazing Borgia family and their subordinates (that made you have a small villian in every chapter in the other two games) you have this... I dont know how to call them. You dont even know against who you are fighting, Palaiologos is shitty, and
Achmed
tries to gain some good villian points at the ending chapter, but it just doesnt have the same impact. Thats one of the major faults of this story, and it the one that drags it. Even in the Altair story,
Abbas
was a shitty uninteresting villian.
And Desmond's group is just some random voices with that new guy in the island. AC2 and ACB were so much better, how you talked with them (shaun was awesome, and the little stories each character had and how they feel for desmond were cool), all that disspaeared in revelations. I really hoped they didnt kill Lucy. Subject 16 can go and fuck itself.

-The shync system from ACB is, thank god, much better this time. This time they added some difficulty, but it didnt stress you like the ones in Brotherhood, those were the work of the devil.

-The new weapons, I didnt find the granades as useful because I played as the old games, but they are not really bad. Although I think there are too much weapons and makes a clusterfuck of controls. They arrived to perfection with Ezio in ACB and wanted to put more over the top, that just complicated things at the end. The thing I love though is the new thing in the arm, that helped to reach places faster going up and using the tiroline.

-The sidemissions were all over the place, some were good (thank god theres only one racing quest now) and other were really bad implemented. Yes, im talking about the defense den minigame. Its a very good idea in paper, but how they handle it in the game (the greek fire towers in the second mission were a bad joke) was shitty. Frustrating and not fun.

-The dungeons. They were really cool and fun (possibly thanks to the not frustrating synch), but I think their number is too low compared to the other games and they arent as grand. Not as memorable as the roman ones, most of the fault is becuase the buildings are not as interesting.

-The music Now, I really liked AC2 and ACB soundtracks, but this one is AMAZING. One of the best things in the game, without a doubt. Some of my favourite tracks are the hiding missions one, the normal and last chapters walking through constantinople themes, the dungeon themes, and the cutscenes. The credits one is also amazing. Nearly the whole soundtrack is perfect.

Then something that I suppose people here havent suffered, is that the spanish dub has had a big downgrade. Semms like havent less main characters made the dubbing team hire less actors. To many voices are repeated and some, like Shaun's awesome old voice, were changed. Thats one of the biggest losses this game had, Shaun's old voice actor sounded perfect, this one sounds like a second grade chracter voice. Very sad (i dont know why they changed it, but I suppose that the original was doing other things when they dubbed the game).

It may seem like im bashing alot the game, but i had lot of fun. Also I liked the ending of the game a lot.
Even though I loved Ezio im prepared to be hooked for a new assassin, and I hope this time the main character is an assassin girl.

bumpkin

Finally finished the game today. While I saw it through to the end, I didn't feel the same drive for completion as I did with AC2 and to a lesser extent, Brotherhood. The end of the game was bittersweet for me; the Altair stuff was cool, but again, I couldn't care less about Desmond.

As far as completion goes, I'll probably chip away at the single player achievements, but screw the MP ones. For contrast, I beat AC1 through and through, only failing to get two achievements due to lack of foresight (didn't track the Richard flags and missed a Lucy convo). AC2, I got 'em all. And Brotherhood, I got all but the MP ones.

I typically don't harp on getting all of the achievements in my games, but it's not often I *can* get them all. It just sucks that I'm missing out on completions over a tack-on. Like, I get that Ubi wants to give players some incentive to explore the multiplayer, but I don't play AC for a competitive experience.

As far as completion goes, I'll probably chip away at the single player achievements, but screw the MP ones. For contrast, I beat AC1 through and through, only failing to get two achievements due to lack of foresight (didn't track the Richard flags and missed a Lucy convo). AC2, I got 'em all. And Brotherhood, I got all but the MP ones. It sucks that I'm missing out on completion over a dumb tack-on.

Like, I get that Ubi wants to give players some incentive to explore the multiplayer, but I don't play AC for a competitive experience.
Have you at least tried the multiplayer?

bumpkin

Have you at least tried the multiplayer?

I have, actually. Gave it a chance in Brotherhood, but like pretty much every other competitive online game, I suck at it and don't have enough time to get good at it. The lack of time or ability makes them a chore that I don't care to undertake.

Kinyou

I'm getting a bit annoyed by the visual modifications you can do to your character in the MP. Some guys build characters that don't resemble the person in the potrait at all.

Stupid overly long Ubisoft credits. They apparently have to credit everyone who has ever worked for Ubisoft.
Remember the opening credits? There were 6 different Ubisoft studios involved. That was probably the only way to create a sequel in such a short time.

SamuraiX-

I'm about to start Sequence 6 and I'm trying to figure out where all the complaining came from about Den Defense?

I've only had to play it once and that was during the tutorial. I remember people bitching that they were forced to replay it all the time. I actually want to play it again but I don't know how. lol

rdrr gnr

I'm about to start Sequence 6 and I'm trying to figure out where all the complaining came from about Den Defense?

I've only had to play it once and that was during the tutorial. I remember people bitching that they were forced to replay it all the time. I actually want to play it again but I don't know how. lol
Patched.

Kinyou

You need a high templar awareness level for that (the icon on the top left needs to be red). Then, after some time, one of your dens will be attacked. Just watch out to not kill any guys that are marked with an eyeball since that will lower the awareness.

It's really weird how the game considers the only actual new gameplay feature as a "punishment" for the player, so that players who play stealthy might never see it in the actual game.

SamuraiX-

Oh wow. So that's how bad it got then, huh? I guess that means Ubisoft took the hint.

You need a high templar awareness level for that (the icon on the top left needs to be red). Then, after some time, one of your dens will be attacked. Just watch out to not kill any guys that are marked with an eyeball since that will lower the awareness.

It's really weird how the game considers the only actual new gameplay feature as a "punishment" for the player, so that players who play stealthy might never see it in the actual game.

Ah, so that's the only way, huh?

Also, I just want to confirm something. If you station a Master Assassin at any particular den, that den can no longer be invaded by Templars, right?

Kinyou

Also, I just want to confirm something. If you station a Master Assassin at any particular den, that den can no longer be invaded by Templars, right?
Yep, that's the games ultimate reward. To have never play the Den Defense game again.

Just imagine if there were people who actually like to play Tower Defense games... *rolleyes*

Spacebar

I've been playing this game since Christmas and I'm roughly 60% through the game. Seriously, fuck those
guys that randomly jump your ass.

I had one mission where I was following a guy and I got jumped. Then the dude got alerted along with guards and I failed the mission. The check point was right at the same spot so every time I started over the ass hole would jump me right away alerting the guards and my target.

After the 5th or so try I finally was able to take his ass out along with the guards far enough away from the target so he didn't get alerted.

iNvid02

stalkers are awesome, they keep you on your toes and make the tank that is ezio feel vulnerable.... slightly.

i remember getting one jump me when i was following this guy but its pretty easy to react quick enough

but i prefer brotherhood's thieves who randomly attacked, you actually had to kill them which was satisfying and you got rewarded

Roto13

I just tried the multiplayer. First time actually playing a match online. I did the tutorial in Brotherhood but I never bothered to actually try a real match.

The winner was running around and jumping off rooftops. That's not right.

rataven

I just tried the multiplayer. First time actually playing a match online. I did the tutorial in Brotherhood but I never bothered to actually try a real match.

What mode did you play? Some are definitely better than others with the quality of players. I've been sucked into Deathmatch, but that can be hit or miss with roofers. Team modes like Artifact Assault and Chest Capture are quite fun with friends.

iNvid02

- you need to run to escape, going on rooftops is a good way of doing that
- rooftops are a good vantage point for spotting targets, pursuers or for aerial kills
- if a game is almost over and scores are close, its sometimes better to run around and not let someone kill you if it means you win

plenty of reasons to be on rooftops, but some people do it all the time and there is nothing
you can do about it, its their style. but, they should not really be winning games if they're
playing like that. just improve yourself and you'll be able to beat people who play like this pretty easily

also unless your naturally skilled at games you probably wont be winning much in ACR right off the bat

Ahasverus

Revelations (and Brotherhood to a lesser extent) is wrong in so many levels, especially storywise. I couldn't care less for who's the new king of Constantinople, I loved the coming of age tale of II, Ezio developed wonderfully in one single game, Brotherhood was a little worse with no real vilain (Cesare wasn't as evil as we were told, or at least, we didn't see how he could be worse than his father) and the story lacked the pacing and good emotional punch of II.. but revelations is just.. bad, comic book writing at its worst. The final level was brillaint though.

Roto13

- you need to run to escape, going on rooftops is a good way of doing that
- rooftops are a good vantage point for spotting targets, pursuers or for aerial kills
- if a game is almost over and scores are close, its sometimes better to run around and not let someone kill you if it means you win

plenty of reasons to be on rooftops, but some people do it all the time and there is nothing
you can do about it, its their style. but, they should not really be winning games if they're
playing like that. just improve yourself and you'll be able to beat people who play like this pretty easily

also unless your naturally skilled at games you probably wont be winning much in ACR right off the bat

So what about the six other players who were actually trying to blend in?

I don't know if it was just a fluke, but if the winners are consistently the people who play like that, then multiplayer mode completely fails at what it sets out to do.

Top Bottom