• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows Dev Diary Episode 2: Crafting a dynamic world

Kurotri

A new dev diary is up, though it was leaked early. Insider Gaming grabbed the mirror:

As shown in the new gameplay, Assassin’s Creed Shadows features “a new generation world,” which pushes the boundaries of a fully dynamic world. This includes a full season cycle, making the world not only appear different but also impacting your character’s movements and how you navigate it. For example, a hard-to-reach area might be blocked off because of a large body of water, but in the wintertime, that freezes over, making it accessible.

The new footage also showcases the new animation system used in Assassin’s Creed Shadows, which creates an even more immersive world for players to enjoy.

Source: https://insider-gaming.com/assassins-creeds-shadows-gameplay-leak/

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Donald Trump GIF by CBS News

I am over Assassin's Creed. Valhalla did me in.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Outside of the Yasuke thing no one seems to care, not sure if it's because people are fed up with Ubisoft's games in general or if it's because Ubisoft just doesn't have any strong marketing for the game whatsoever. Maybe a bit of both.

Much like IFireflyl IFireflyl Valhalla ruined these games for me. You can tell a lot of work and effort went into but the end result is 100 hours of completely bland, vanilla content. It’s not bad. It’s not good. It just exists.

Kirkio

Looks pretty good to me, skipped mirage so I am ready for a new Assassin's Creed.

It's the type of game I get burnt out on 50% to 75% through so I rush to the end eventually but I do enjoy them. This looks alot better than Valhalla.

LOL a samurai wouldn't mistreat its own weapon and randomly slice things like fruit ninja since that would damage the blade in a instant. And wearing full armor when he's not in a battle just shows you how little attention ubisoft actually pays to the small details.

StereoVsn

Much like IFireflyl IFireflyl Valhalla ruined these games for me. You can tell a lot of work and effort went into but the end result is 100 hours of completely bland, vanilla content. It’s not bad. It’s not good. It just exists.
Yep, I actually quite liked Origins and Odyssey with the latter on PC so I could mostly bypass XP grind and Merc BS.

But Valhalla was just so meh, I couldn’t take more than a few hours and was done with it. So at best this is a game I will check out for $20 a year later when it’s patched up with all DLCs. If I even remember about it and want to waste my time.

Bartski

Gold Member
The idea of a weather altering gameplay systems rather than being an ambient visual overlay sounds exciting and fresh, plus finally some lovely destruction and reactive environments. The proof will be in the pudding

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This looks absolutely amazing. I love dynamic elements in games. Days Gone is still one of my favorite worlds because of its dynamic elements.

I just wish the graphics looked a bit more photorealistic. It looks fairly last gen in terms of asset quality but with next gen level of detail and weather effects.

R3TRODYCE

I would like to think it can’t get much worse than Valhalla but Far Cry, Star Wars, Mirage and Avatar were dumpster fires so I don’t know…

Bartski

Gold Member
This looks absolutely amazing. I love dynamic elements in games. Days Gone is still one of my favorite worlds because of its dynamic elements.

I just wish the graphics looked a bit more photorealistic. It looks fairly last gen in terms of asset quality but with next gen level of detail and weather effects.
The problem is animation being all sorts of shit. No idea how much they can polish it given the time they have, but in the build they've shown publicly things just didn't connect correctly in combat and it looked very janky. I'm very curious about the release version on that front

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
This looks like a pile of stupid shit and the black samurai is fucking ridiculous. Ubi are a bunch of moronic clowns and I am going to look forward to watching this fail and everyone involved being fired.

SJRB

Gold Member
This looks like a pile of stupid shit and the black samurai is fucking ridiculous. Ubi are a bunch of moronic clowns and I am going to look forward to watching this fail and everyone involved being fired.

It's kinda funny how almost all of his footage is him hulking through walls and trashing shit.

Last edited:

Branded

Because it'll be much cheaper if you wait a little while longer and it's not as if there's a shortage of AC games. They're not multiplayer either so you're not 'missing out' on any event type shit either.

Plus who wants to support DEI-infested Ubisoft by paying the full price of admission anyway.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Because it'll be much cheaper if you want a little while longer and it's not as if there's a shortage of AC games. They're not multiplayer either so you're not 'missing out' on any event type shit either.

Plus who wants to support DEI-infested Ubisoft by paying the full price of admission anyway.

or....I can buy day 1 and do with my money as I please lol

Some of us are buying games to just play, any type of culture war shit might be irrelevant to lots of us.

This company supports this, this company is against that lol Go protest that company, get the picket sign and fight the "good fight"

but stop trying to force this shit in every thread as if majority are buying or avoiding a video game for any of theses reasons.
LOL a samurai wouldn't mistreat its own weapon and randomly slice things like fruit ninja since that would damage the blade in a instant. And wearing full armor when he's not in a battle just shows you how little attention ubisoft actually pays to the small details.

The actions you see is to show those things can be done in the world and this is a player agency type thing, as in you choice to do what you want.

You can play the game avoiding damaging fruit, you can remove the armor when not in battle etc, thats up to you, that isn't something the game forces you to do. You can wear armor at any time in Ghost Of Tsushima, using this odd logic THAT game is having little attention to detail lol I'd rather have the free choice to remove and add armor, then to have it forced based on ideology, let the player decide.

Ironically I actually personally had an issue with some of this in RDR2 as in it is a game that has a meter based on some moral idea of being a good guy or a bad guy but the game actually forces a direction for Arthur to be a good guy despite him being an outlaw and even giving the option to be bad in the first place lol

Which means your perspective of what you think a samurai is in regards to their behavior is based on free agency, The player ultimately decides how they would behave in any type of open world kind of like how you could play GTA in obey all the laws or something, Someone could watch that footage of that game of you playing and it would be weird to question GTA as a series simply because you saw someone obeying the law questioning If the developer understands crime lol

It would be dumb to stop someone from obeying the law in GTA, it would be dumb to FORCE the armor off or stop the sword from being used outside of combat in some battle, it makes zero sense.

What game do you even know of where its forcing you to only have the armor on in battle and stopping you from using a fucking sword randomly? lol Cause i got to tell you Newtype....that sounds just awful lol

Branded

or....I can buy day 1 and do with my money as I please lol

Some of us are buying games to just play, any type of culture war shit might be irrelevant to lots of us.

This company supports this, this company is against that lol Go protest that company, get the picket sign and fight the "good fight"

but stop trying to force this shit in every thread as if majority are buying or avoiding a video game for any of theses reasons.
Of course you can consoom all you want, be my guest but voting with your wallet has never been easier in this day and age. Just don't see why the FOMO kicks in this bad for some of you. It's not like these games are getting progressively better with each release either lol.

Also there's about ten thousand AC Shadows threads on Gaf and I've only given my two cents on the matter in one (the thread we find ourselves in now). Relax.

EDMIX

voting with your wallet has never been easier in this day and age.
I agree, I'm voting with it all the time, did you not get that me buying this game was part of that? lol

Just don't see why the FOMO kicks in this bad for some of you.
Cause a lot of us are tired of this culture war thing being forced in every thread, if you are buying something or avoiding something for this reason, that is your right, but I don't get this whole advocating and protesting as if we care you denounced or condemned the publisher for environmental practices, most are not buying something for such reasons lol

It's not like these games are getting progressively better with each release either

I actually disagree, we didn't have an entire weather system changing seasons in the past games and editing some secrets base is also new

Keep in mind, I play lots of series like the Yakuza series that often stick to core ideas, not everything needs to reinvent the wheel and acting as if that is needed is a bit silly. I'm ok with new features, I'm ok with a classic core concept being repeated, I actually think it turns into a gimmick when a companies keeps trying to claim some new thing and ends up fucking up concepts, look at BF 2042.

New is ok.
Core Concept is ok too.

EDMIX

I actually quite liked Origins and Odyssey with the latter on PC so I could mostly bypass XP grind and Merc BS.

But Valhalla was just so meh,
I mean, it depends lol

I've seen people who like Origins the best like Odyssey the best or like Valhalla the best

Its such a mixed bag, that I just recommend all of em and let the chips fall where they may lol

I think I've seen every order btw, like someone liking Valhalla the best, but Origin's the least, or Origins' the best and Odyssey the least or something like this.

I expect for the next several it'll be like that too, like someone likes Shadows the best or Hexe the least or vice versa, I personally think it comes down to setting, if someone really likes 300 or something, they'll love Odyssey or if someone loves that Vikings show, they might like Valhalla more or something
still day 1, will probably spend 150+ hours in it easy like valhalla.

I expect I'll spend a lot of time with it, I have about 40 or so hours in Valhalla currently, about 60% or so done with the game, might get the season pass for that French DLC if it comes on sale soon lol If it doesn't end up on sale in a bit, I'll move on and finish up Outlaws or Astrobot until AC Shadows comes out or something.

might get the season pass for that French DLC if it comes on sale soon lol If it doesn't end up on sale in a bit
druids and paris are both cool, but quite different from each other, so you might dislike one and like the other.
personally I thought paris was very cool, because it leans pretty heavily into assassination event set pieces, and since I already played through valhalla mostly through stealth, having more expanded options for stealth play was really good, honestly enjoyed siege of paris more than the entirety of mirage.

Last edited:
As a huge fanboy of this series, I have little excitement for this game but that world does look pretty great, that’s something Ubisoft is relatively pretty decent at. But that French Canadian fuck and his stupid don’t know how to pluralize shit accent in the video is annoying lol

Top Bottom