• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

DrBo42

I noticed the same thing. "Hesitation" is a good way of putting it, everytime I want to parkour the character takes a split second to think about what I just told her to do.

Especially when climbing up walls the pause is very noticable. It's rather frustrating, isn't it?

It's really bad. Almost like being forced to use the launcher instead. Unfortunately I don't have it yet as I've just been exploring the city. Initiating a climb and jump across gaps feels really bad because of that hesitation.

bargeparty

I was just riding down the street when suddenly

OrdinarySilentCopperhead.gif

I'm feeling the exact opposite.

This is the first AC game I've played where I can run down the street without the character grabbing/hanging onto any piece of markup slightly graze. Having to hold X or square for up and down traversal is a god send.

Add to that you can hold trigger and square and the character will drop to the ground as quickly as possible makes this the best traversal engine in the series.

And the addition of the grapple makes it even better. One button to quickly get to the top of a building. And in addition you can bridge huge gaps with it now, instead of having to clunkily climb all the way down to the street and then slowly clamber up.

These quality of life changes make the game a joy to traverse.

Are you saying they finally fixed the "cling to everything" problem? Even in Unity with the added ascend/descend controls he still did it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
the opening section with Evie in the rain isn't the most flattering. Flat and ugly would be appropriate terms imo

Once you reach freeroam, things change. experincing London during the day/night cycle, all the npcs/carriages/boats/trains and zipping up buildings, then the game comes into its own. The first time reaching the top of Big Ben is very impressive visually

that's the thing though. I think that applies to tons of games. games like mgs5, witcher, gta5, have their own fair share of unimpressive nighttime scenes when the game is lit a certain way. it's not really unique here.

jonno394

Reading about this makes me want an assassins Creed game, but I'm not up for paying full price for this especially as fallout 4 is due in two weeks and will likely dominate my time.

Now, £15 for Unity doesn't seem too bad and if i just flat out drop it for Fallout then it's not a huge waste. The reports are that it's in good shape (ps4) after all the patches and fixes, what say you AC GAF?

gossi

Reading about this makes me want an assassins Creed game, but I'm not up for paying full price for this especially as fallout 4 is due in two weeks and will likely dominate my time.

Now, £15 for Unity doesn't seem too bad and if i just flat out drop it for Fallout then it's not a huge waste. The reports are that it's in good shape (ps4) after all the patches and fixes, what say you AC GAF?

Unity is fairly bug free now. It's also dull. Syndicate is much better.

Unity was an incredibly poor game, technical issues or not.

Toa TAK

Banned
Haven't beaten the game yet (on sequence 5 and in the other simulation), but I'm willing to tip my hat to this game as being one of the best in the series.

Unity is a frustrating shitty game that made me swear off this series, yet i took a chance on syndicate and am enjoying what ive played. So either play syndicate or just wait for fallout.

Anko

Just got the game today, for Evie. She's stylin. I'm playing as Evie wherever possible. It's quite sad to see that companies still prefer not to put the female lead on the cover, or to market her first.

Toa TAK

Banned
Just got the game today, for Evie. She's stylin. I'm playing as Evie wherever possible. It's quite sad to see that companies still prefer not to put the female lead on the cover, or to market her first.
It's one step closer to having a mainline game with a female protagonist. It's incredibly painful with both this and Liberation.

Walpurgis

Banned

If you are craving an AC game but haven't played any, play Black Flag. It's not only a great AC game, it's a great game in general. I loved it. It's also pretty cheap and if you have an Xbone, you probably have it from GwG. Don't buy Unity though. Trust me.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's one step closer to having a mainline game with a female protagonist. It's incredibly painful with both this and Liberation.
Let's face it though, it feels like Evie is just there to shut up the people after Unity. She's a MUCH better character than Jacob, even if both are pretty damn good. Jacob is the best male protagonist since Ezio IMO...But yeah Evie still feels like an afterthough, despite being my most used character. I have no doubts that there will never be a mainline AC game with a single female lead. In fact I fully expect the next game to have a male protag. Once again. Which is a dumb, because Evie is goddamn badass, interesting, with one hell of a cool design. It's a shame she takes a backseat eventually.

jonno394

If you are craving an AC game but haven't played any, play Black Flag. It's not only a great AC game, it's a great game in general. I loved it. It's also pretty cheap and if you have an Xbone, you probably have it from GwG. Don't buy Unity though. Trust me.

Yeah bought Black Flag about this time last year. Really loved the setting plus the ship/pirate stuff. I'll take your and other gaffers advice and just wait for Fallout 4 and potentially pick this up in the new year.

Toa TAK

Banned
Let's face it though, it feels like Evie is just there to shut up the people after Unity. She's a MUCH better character than Jacob, even if both are pretty damn good. Jacob is the best male protagonist since Ezio IMO...But yeah Evie still feels like an afterthough, despite being my most used character. I have no doubts that there will never be a mainline AC game with a single female lead. In fact I fully expect the next game to have a male protag. Once again. Which is a dumb, because Evie is goddamn badass, interesting, with one hell of a cool design. It's a shame she takes a backseat eventually.
I'm just kinda tired of Jacob and all the previous assassins who have a personality that's trying to ape Ezio. It's why I like Evie so damn much. Connor will probably be my favorite bro until then.

Still, I've got faith in Ubi to deliver. Especially after that open secret/spoiler, whether or not it's the next game, they'll do a female protagonist in the mainline game. It's just a matter of when. How couldn't they when they've done characters like Aveline, Connor, or Altair beforehand? I'm holding out hope, and it's partially why I hold them to a higher standard compared to other developers.

DanJow112

Neo Member
Have been an immense assassins creed fan since the start, even loved assassins creed3 but was getting sceptical for syndicate, however I can report that I love this game! The fun is back in my opinion! Which is something I have missed haven't experienced any glitches or bugs. Let's hope I don't run into any more! ;)

requiescat in pace

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm just kinda tired of Jacob and all the previous assassins who have a personality that's trying to ape Ezio. It's why I like Evie so damn much. Connor will probably be my favorite bro until then.

Still, I've got faith in Ubi to deliver. Especially after that open secret/spoiler, whether or not it's the next game, they'll do a female protagonist in the mainline game. It's just a matter of when. How couldn't they when they've done characters like Aveline, Connor, or Altair beforehand? I'm holding out hope, and it's partially why I hold them to a higher standard compared to other developers.
I don't mean to be pessimistic, but where you see hope I see...nothing. Ubi said time after time, that female protagonists wouldn't work in AC. And when they give them to us it's in side games, or in the shadow of the main bro....
Two females in one game? That's so they can use main males in the next six games. It's what sells unfortunately. I think this is basically the swan song of women in the franchise for a while. It's cool. I know I'll never get my female-lead, Three Kingdoms China / Joseon Korea/ Edo era Japan Assassin's Creed game....

Wolfe

At this point Unity is a solid game and well worth 15 bucks, I say go for it (just picked it up couple weeks ago at that price and am still enjoying it.)

Edit: the Unity hate is bordering on hyperbolic at this point, granted I accept that as someone that's not invested in the series my opinion on Unity is coming from a different place than most here.

Yoday

Evie is very quickly moving to the very top of my list of favorite assassins in this series. I adore her methodical nature combined with a quick wit. You get that sense that she was always the bookworm, but developed a sassy attitude to combat her brother with. I love it. Jacob isn't bad either, I quite like him, but he isn't even close to Evie on the awesome scale. Also, Evie sounds fierce as hell in combat.

that's the thing though. I think that applies to tons of games. games like mgs5, witcher, gta5, have their own fair share of unimpressive nighttime scenes when the game is lit a certain way. it's not really unique here.
absolutely. MGSV had the same problem. This most definitely had the same issue

And I agree with you, overall this game looks very good. Just the initial impression on me wasn't so hot so. Some players complaining about the graphics maybe just haven't progressed very far

Eggbok

A question to anyone that can answer. I was playing through sequence 4 and some how unlocked sequence 8 is that supposed to happen?

ryseing

At this point Unity is a solid game and well worth 15 bucks, I say go for it (just picked it up couple weeks ago at that price and am still enjoying it.)

Edit: the Unity hate is bordering on hyperbolic at this point, granted I accept that as someone that's not invested in the series my opinion on Unity is coming from a different place than most here.

Unity somehow butchered the French Revolution setting. Any hate it gets is well deserved just for that fact.

Fight Club is the best side activity. Love getting those high combos and knocking some dudes out.

Okay, I know I'm not a complete idiot, but I can't trigger Sequence 5 to happen. I've completed all of Jacob's missions for Sequence 4, yet I can't find any missions for Evie in that sequence. They're both at level 5, so I know that Evie's missions should be accessible at a such a level for that sequence.

Has anyone experience a progress issue like this? I hope it's not some stupid bug that's f'ed over my save file.

Walpurgis

Banned
Yeah bought Black Flag about this time last year. Really loved the setting plus the ship/pirate stuff. I'll take your and other gaffers advice and just wait for Fallout 4 and potentially pick this up in the new year.

Unity was on sale for $15 by E3 in Canada (the land of $80 games), so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

CaLe

I'm feeling the exact opposite.

This is the first AC game I've played where I can run down the street without the character grabbing/hanging onto any piece of markup slightly graze. Having to hold X or square for up and down traversal is a god send.

Add to that you can hold trigger and square and the character will drop to the ground as quickly as possible makes this the best traversal engine in the series.

And the addition of the grapple makes it even better. One button to quickly get to the top of a building. And in addition you can bridge huge gaps with it now, instead of having to clunkily climb all the way down to the street and then slowly clamber up.

These quality of life changes make the game a joy to traverse.

The traversal works great when the character has only a few hanging spots or when they're appropriately distanced. Whenever you reach a tight space with various climbable areas, good luck making the character do what you want him to.

SentryDown

I really enjoy the mission structure, for the first time in a game main & secondary missions feels alike in a good way. Actually, that may even be the first game I'm more engaged with side content than progressing in story, and that's not even to level up the characters.

BashNasty

It's really bad. Almost like being forced to use the launcher instead. Unfortunately I don't have it yet as I've just been exploring the city. Initiating a climb and jump across gaps feels really bad because of that hesitation.

Can anyone elaborate on this supposed hesitation during traversal? Is everyone experiencing it, or are these just edge cases. I'm currently debating picking up syndicate for the PS4, and this would be a sticking point for me. Game feel is of utmost importance, and issues with unresponsive traversal seem like they could impact that heavily.

Yoday

I really enjoy the mission structure, for the first time in a game main & secondary missions feels alike in a good way. Actually, that may even be the first game I'm more engaged with side content than progressing in story, and that's not even to level up the characters.
Everything really is very cohesive. I love that they tied unlocking new outfit dyes to collecting pressed flowers. It just makes sense.

Yoday

Can anyone elaborate on this supposed hesitation during traversal? Is everyone experiencing it, or are these just edge cases. I'm currently debating picking up syndicate for the PS4, and this would be a sticking point for me. Game feel is of utmost importance, and issues with unresponsive traversal seem like they could impact that heavily.
The hesitation comes from the game not allowing you to jump off of buildings, so if you run towards a ledge and try to jump the character will just stop if there isn't a safe place to jump to. You have to either use downward parkour, or zipline to somewhere else. This with other changes seems to be in response to many peoples complaints of the character jumping off into the middle of nowhere, or not quite doing what they want the character to do. It is absolutely a step back the amount of control that the player has, but I think it was probably a necessary one if they ever wanted to clear up a lot of the frustration that many people have with the navigation system.

DrBo42

The hesitation comes from the game not allowing you to jump off of buildings, so if you run towards a ledge and try to jump the character will just stop if there isn't a safe place to jump to. You have to either use downward parkour, or zipline to somewhere else. This with other changes seems to be in response to many peoples complaints of the character jumping off into the middle of nowhere, or not quite doing what they want the character to do. It is absolutely a step back the amount of control that the player has, but I think it was probably a necessary one if they ever wanted to clear up a lot of the frustration that many people have with the navigation system.

It's from jumping gaps and initiating a climb on a sheer surface like a building wall. The character has to bump into it first and THEN begin the climb rather than just beginning the climb as you reach it.

BashNasty

It's from jumping gaps and initiating a climb on a sheer surface like a building wall. The character has to bump into it first and THEN begin the climb rather than just beginning the climb as you reach it.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Does this feel like an issue to you, or does it feel appropriate?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
I am seeing this a lot, especially the people saying that it is the best since AC II. All that tells me is that I will likely love it. My copy should be here by the end of the week.

As someone who fucking adored AC2, Brotherhood, and IV.. this game is Unity's Brotherhood. The assassinations end intimately, the "real world" part of the game is sort of there, but less intrusive and quite intriguing.

The game itself is kind of amazing, crossing the Thames the first time blew me away.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Does this feel like an issue to you, or does it feel appropriate?

Not an issue to me at all. The ziphook is fantastic and the way they've animated the ascent with it is the natural progression from the jump hook (I forget which one this was in).

Also, having the ascent/descent options from Unity is great.

Okay, I know I'm not a complete idiot, but I can't trigger Sequence 5 to happen. I've completed all of Jacob's missions for Sequence 4, yet I can't find any missions for Evie in that sequence. They're both at level 5, so I know that Evie's missions should be accessible at a such a level for that sequence.

Has anyone experience a progress issue like this? I hope it's not some stupid bug that's f'ed over my save file.

I'm not as far, but have you tried initiating the sequence from the bulletin board in the train, the same way you initiate sequence 2 (or was it 3)?

Vire

I don't know why, but the 900p in Unity and this game look so much worse than the 900p in Battlefront for whatever reason.

In some ways I feel like Black Flags is still the best looking AC game on consoles.

Top Bottom